Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/23/2017 12:56:31 PM EDT
I’ve been getting back into things lately after a hiatus (long story, but now wife is interested too) and been going through the safe to try and make space and also realign the collection with a more practical bent.  Part of that is the question of what to do with my AR-15s.

I’m looking at getting into 3-gun at a casual/fun level and that’s driving part of the decision, but I’m also wanting to rationalize my rifles to something that more suits what I’m planning to do with them.

Right now I have two, configured as follows:

16” A2 carbine length gas, 1:9 chrome-lined heavy barrel

20” A4 1:9 chrome-lined heavy barrel

Both are complete Del-ton kits on whatever lower the local shop carried at the time.  These configurations were driven more by what was available/in stock when I bought them, and my very limited budget at the time.  They shoot ok; could use a bit of trigger work but if I feed them well they perform fine.

What I’m trying to do is figure out the best way to get from where I am to where I want to be.

The first approach would be to upgrade.  Swap out the 16” A2 upper for a flat-top, maybe upgrade the stocks for both, and maybe put a free-float tube on the 20” (but that might drive a new gas block?  I’ve been out of this for a while).  I also thought of picking up a brake/compensator of some kind for competition.  Of course, the leftover parts would probably wind up forming the basis for a new rifle (for me, the wife, or maybe my son when he’s old enough)

The other approach would be an all-new rifle (built or bought complete), figuring that by the time I got all of that done I might be looking at most of the way to a new one anyway.  If I were to go that route I’d probably go for:

16” midlength, 1:8 twist, chrome lined

Free-float handguard

Fancy adjustable stock

Upgraded trigger

1x to something x optic and BUIS

Or third, is there some other entirely different approach I should look at?

The end goal is to have something suitable for casual competition but not so optimized it isn’t useful as an all-around rifle.  I do plan to keep a 20” (not necessarily the same one) around in some form, partly because I just like the longer look but also for the off chance I get an opportunity to shoot longer distances, and potentially for occasional hunting.

(It also goes without saying that can(s) will be purchased if HPA passes)
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You may be better off asking that question here. They may have a better idea of where you should start with a competition perspective.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Make your thoughts on a chrome-lined barrel go away.
Durable, yes. Accurate, not as much as a quality non lined.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:29:08 AM EDT
[#3]
You can swap out the upper on your least desired rifle. Leave the other upper as a backup and finish it later when you see a cheap lower and lpk.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:59:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Find someone that will make you a deal on re profiling both the barrels. lightweight ARs are so much more fun
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:32:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Find someone that will make you a deal on re profiling both the barrels. lightweight ARs are so much more fun
View Quote

Easier to just sell and buy.

BA Hanson .625  w/ gas block - 179
Aero Precision Upper- 75
ALG EMR 13" handguard - 115
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make your thoughts on a chrome-lined barrel go away.
Durable, yes. Accurate, not as much as a quality non lined.
View Quote

The rifles still shoot better than I can right now.  

I've decided for now just to swap out the upper on the 16" and keep everything else for now.  I'll pick up a red dot or something like a Strike Eagle, sell the A2 upper, and buy some more ammo.  Maybe find a free-float handguard for the 20" at some point, too.

I'll build something fancy later on.  Of course, the way things are going my wife may be wanting a rifle of her own, soon
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top