Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2017 8:33:05 PM EDT
I have a chance to buy an A1 style Colt. The owner has no details as to the gun's provenance, round count, etc. These are the only pictures I have. The price is $1,400.00. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to say that price is high but it seems the going rate
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a Colt SP1, not an "A1" style (no forward assist and large diameter "screw" pivot pin).
Assuming that it's all original and in good shape (it appears to be from what we can see), that price is not bad for the current market.
Because it is a pre-ban rifle, in fact, there are folks in some states who would leap at that price.

Hopefully, it will stay all together because too many people are stripping the, and selling them as parts.  Nice, complete samples are getting harder to find.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks so much for your insight and input!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks so much for your insight and input!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a Colt SP1, not an "A1" style (no forward assist and large diameter "screw" pivot pin).
Assuming that it's all original and in good shape (it appears to be from what we can see), that price is not bad for the current market.
Because it is a pre-ban rifle, in fact, there are folks in some states who would leap at that price.

Hopefully, it will stay all together because too many people are stripping the, and selling them as parts.  Nice, complete samples are getting harder to find.
View Quote

+1 on what gunner is saying. There are some people who would snap up a preban lower for almost as much. Having said that i'd try and knock the guy down a little.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

+1 on what gunner is saying. There are some people who would snap up a preban lower for almost as much. Having said that i'd try and knock the guy down a little.
View Quote

There's no way to hide my ignorance on this question - why is being "pre- ban" lower a factor? Couldn't anyone just buy a lower from PSA or somewhere else or are ARs prohibited in some states unless made before X date?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There's no way to hide my ignorance on this question - why is being "pre- ban" lower a factor? Couldn't anyone just buy a lower from PSA or somewhere else or are ARs prohibited in some states unless made before X date?
View Quote

You are correct.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:54:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw a MINT SP1 go for ~$1500 last year.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:23:28 AM EDT
[#9]
That's a nice SP1. And judging by the wear pattern (or lack of) on the internals (hammer, bolt catch etc) it doesn't look to have been shot too much. I vote snag it. Try to talk him down, if he doesn't budge, I'd still pay 14.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#10]
A1 style original SP1 Colts are collectors items and are priced at a premium because of it. They all have 1/12 twist pencil barrels which precludes the use of more modern match grade bullets. $1400 will buy a very nice new AR15 if you aren't buying for collector purposes.

For that price you can own a brand new Colt 6920 OEM and outfit it with a SOPMOD stock, Magpul grip, DD or KAC rail and an Aimpoint Pro optic. It will be marked M4 on the receiver instead of AR15 like the old Colt. THe new rifle will shoot 69 through 77 grain match bullets accurately because it has a 1/7 twist barrel.

Old SP1's are cool in a historical sense and represent a civilian legal version of the rifle Vietnam vets carried in combat. I would buy a new rifle, but that's just me. My decision is made easier because I still own the first AR-15 I ever purchased in1981, a Colt SP1. So I already own a SP1 and don't feel the need to buy another.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's a nice SP1. And judging by the wear pattern (or lack of) on the internals (hammer, bolt catch etc) it doesn't look to have been shot too much. I vote snag it. Try to talk him down, if he doesn't budge, I'd still pay 14.
View Quote

^^^^^This.

I agree that $1400 is a reasonable price, but I would try to get it down a bit more. Try $1200 and see what happens.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A1 style original SP1 Colts are collectors items and are priced at a premium because of it. They all have 1/12 twist pencil barrels which precludes the use of more modern match grade bullets. $1400 will buy a very nice new AR15 if you aren't buying for collector purposes.

For that price you can own a brand new Colt 6920 OEM and outfit it with a SOPMOD stock, Magpul grip, DD or KAC rail and an Aimpoint Pro optic. It will be marked M4 on the receiver instead of AR15 like the old Colt. THe new rifle will shoot 69 through 77 grain match bullets accurately because it has a 1/7 twist barrel.

Old SP1's are cool in a historical sense and represent a civilian legal version of the rifle Vietnam vets carried in combat. I would buy a new rifle, but that's just me. My decision is made easier because I still own the first AR-15 I ever purchased in1981, a Colt SP1. So I already own a SP1 and don't feel the need to buy another.
View Quote

SP1s are at a premium these days since so many guys are parting them out and fewer intact rifles are in circulation. These are iconic rifles and that is what appeals to a lot of guys. Also is the fact that they have not been produced in nearly 35 years. These are collectibles in every since. They were made back when Colt was making really good stuff. Personally, given the choice to buy a new AR vs. a Colt SP1, I will take the SP1. You can buy a new run-of-the-mill AR any day of the week. An opportunity to buy a nice SP1 for a decent price rarely comes around.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Its a retro beauty OP. If retro is what you dig, I'd work a deal.

But...... $1400 buys a damn nice modern AR setup
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top