Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/22/2017 1:27:38 PM EDT
I have a quick question which hopefully won't end in me being banned or the thread locked.

Is Noveske Rifleworks still a quality manufacturer? I have three Noveske rifles that I purchased around 2009-2010 timeframe. I absolutely love them and their accuracy is amazing compared to my Colt ARs.

However, a few years back I've heard some disturbing things regarding Noveske quality controls with some supposed blem lowers being sold as new and a few other issues.

I'm in the market for another upper and was wondering if Noveske is still the quality they where a few years ago or should I steer clear go shop for another boutique AR15 maker?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I think they have slipped a little since John's untimely demise. 

They are now the NASCAR of the AR world. I think the product managers get bonuses based on the number of "Noveske" logos they can cram on a gun. 
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh boy OP here we go.

My short answer is yes. 

Did they have issues after John passed?  Of course.  Shit can tend to go sideways when such a great visionary and leader for a company suddenly departs.  However, I can absolutely tell you that they have recognized they had a problem and have since corrected it and they are back to pumping out great product.  Does some stuff still slip through?  Occasionally and I can tell you no one is perfect.  However, they are committed to making it right when it does go askew.  I would not hesitate to buy Noveske. 
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I personally do not think their lower receivers are of the same quality.

I have personally had one out of spec as had a friend with 2. His first one returned, the replacement out of spec as well. He ended up getting using different receivers.

Their pinned gas blocks don't seem to be the best fit anymore either. The pins are almost like a one size fits most kind of thing these days.

I am not bashing them, but would like to see their QC standards match their premium prices. Hopefully others can share better stories as I use to really like them....ALOT, but have had and seen to many iffy QC products come out of non-chainsaw line parts to buy anymore.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quality still? absolutely

over priced still? absolutely

if you like noveske and they have something you like by all means buy it.They still put out a good quality product even thought john passed away.Every company has rough patches at some point in their life cycle.Nobody is immune to mistakes
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quality still? absolutely

over priced still? absolutely

if you like noveske and they have something you like by all means buy it.They still put out a good quality product even thought john passed away.Every company has rough patches at some point in their life cycle.Nobody is immune to mistakes
View Quote

I've run several noveske mur uppers. They have all been perfect . Of course technically vltor manufacturers them. Currently running a Noveske 14.5 lw stainless barrel. Easily does .5 moa with 75gr Blackhills boat tail even with a 3 gun trigger. I have a really nice G 2 stage I intend to try next range trip. I'm expecting good things. Can't comment on current lowers . Haven't owned one in several years.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Overpriced, probably? I can tell you the new N6 i have is a machine and smooth as can be.  Fit and finish couldn't be any better.  The QC on my three gen 3 lowers leave nothing to be desired.  Even the chasinsaw parts I have could pass for new.  I do like their products, not crazy about all the logos either or the price.  Watch for deals, they are out there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#7]
When I saw their new stupid bolt rifle for $3300 in a magpul chassis, that sealed the deal for me. No more noveske
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a whole bunch of newer build Noveske gear and all of it has been top notch.  Still love Noveske and happily overpay for certain things if it is something I like.  Maybe I am a Noveske fanboy, but I really do love their stuff.

Is it over priced?  Absolutely.  Is it still premium gear?  Absolutely.  Are there other manufacturers that make equipment that is just as good or better at a more reasonable price point?  Of course.

The point is, buy what you like, but know that Noveske is still high quality gear.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:46:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I was a huge noveske nut for years. They really haven't been putting much out lately other than bandanas and other "life gear" bullshit. I'll build out the lowers I have, but I'm probably done after that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Barrels' are still good. I have a stainless 18 that's with 55gr vmax puts a 10 shot group you can cover with a dime at 50yds.  My 16 chf noveske barrel does about 1.5 inch 10 shot at 100 with 55gr fmj with a ALG trigger. If I had a rear bag or higher power scope I think it could do an inch
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Not trying to steal the thread and hopefully won't get banned.

I have a question

I purchased one of their rifles back in 2012 and sent the upper back to get converted from a skinny carbine to 18" SS barrel with NSR rifle.

I have all the paperwork, boxes, etc.  Got screwed by the tax man this year and need to sell it.  At least 500 rounds through it, but well less than a case.

I know how to value and sell pre-WW2 firearms, but how do you price a "John era" rifle in a flooded market of AR's?  

Thanks and sorry if this is not ok.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Every manufacturer has a dud slip out here and there.
No one is immune.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#13]
This is what can happen when a business transitions from a passion and enthusiasm run company to a bottom line, profit driven one without the past impetus and vision that made the company successful.  

It happens in other industries often enough with predictable outcome that no amount of logo products and brand loyalty can significantly alter.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have a question

I purchased one of their rifles back in 2012 and sent the upper back to get converted from a skinny carbine to 18" SS barrel with NSR rifle.

I have all the paperwork, boxes, etc.  Got screwed by the tax man this year and need to sell it.  At least 500 rounds through it, but well less than a case.

I know how to value and sell pre-WW2 firearms, but how do you price a "John era" rifle in a flooded market of AR's?  

View Quote

Pretty sure I got that skinny barrel from you. It's on my buddies house gun.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have a question

View Quote

I usually take off 10% from retail pricing or I paid for the rifle to start with and go from there. Exceptions would be limited run or hard to source parts.  You can always list it for what you personally feel it's worth to but, it may not be worth paying your asking price to most. There's always that small percentage where money isn't an object and would be willing to pay asking price or more if it's something they want.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#16]
SMOS.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Just bought a noveske forged lower a month or so ago to match a chainsaw upper I had bought on sale.  Fit is perfect and it is the nicest looking forged lower I have ever seen.  As far as value, hard to put a number on how much pretty is worth to you, but the lower is perfect as far as I can tell.  I can't really even figure out why my two uppers are chainsaws.  There is a slight variation in the finish, I have to look hard to notice it, but honestly I would have had no issues if I had bought it as a first quality upper.  Stuck one of their stainless steel barrels on it I picked up during their Christmas sale and made a complete Noveske rifle.  Sucker is beautiful, tight and shoots smooth.  Very happy customer here.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top