Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/22/2017 12:18:42 AM EDT
I'm thinking about adding an IWC QD sling mount to my A2 stock and was wondering if there where any cons to this. Here's the mount http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/qd-micro-mount/?flavour=mobile
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:32:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm all for hacking up my stuff, but does this nylon stock adapter not allow you to do what you want?

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:41:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a few of those mounts, they work great. IMO the only issue you would have would be tightening up the Allen screws inside the buttstock compartment to hold it secure. There just isn't a lot of room to work the little wrench.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:53:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I put this Tango Down on mine, I like it a lot.

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:01:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless there is some kind of attempt of maintaining a clone model or such there is the option of using a Magpul Moe rifle buttstock that comes with a quality QD mount installed.  I use one on an AR10.  A quality QD mount is usually about $20, so there's that much you can consider discounted from the Magpul stock.  Just a possible option.  Does the standard A2 stock have enough material where the attached QD would be installed?  It's been awhile since I've handled an A2 stock to remember.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:01:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I did something like what you are describing. I got some QD "holes" from brownells- Link -and some clear epoxy and made my own mount. Looks great, works great. Did the same to a couple of 870 stocks too. Drill a 1/2" hole and epoxy the hell out of it on the back side.  You could probably rappel down a ventilation shaft on chirstmas eve with it.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Before that, I had this Troy adapter:

If you want to try this Troy mount before you drill your buttstock, PM me your address and I'll send it over.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:17:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I recently added a rear QD on my 3 gun shotgun stock.  I used the Noveske flush mount QD.  It looks a little cleaner than the IWC in my opinion since it has a flange that covers the edges of the hole.  Cost is about the same, $20.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I too would opt for the Noveske QD mount, slightly easier to install with a cleaner look.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I modified my Ace skellyton and Its perfect...I like the plug but only if you can use a mechanical fastener..not going to trust an epoxy without backup..temp, moisture,movement and time will affect glues/epoxy

Got a UTG QD Anti Rotate steel base from Amazon

Filed it down the M-loc tabs

Drilled tapped from the rear after removing rubber extension

Loctite red for the screws and a thin layer on the base of mount itself..cleaned all with Denatured Alch. first

Add Hungarian AMD sling with Swede QD to make swapping uppers a snap and you get..Super strong and sexy looking

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#9]
That Noveske QD cup looks great but I've read reviews of it breaking easily. Any truth to this?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did something like what you are describing. I got some QD "holes" from brownells- Link -and some clear epoxy and made my own mount. Looks great, works great. Did the same to a couple of 870 stocks too. Drill a 1/2" hole and epoxy the hell out of it on the back side.  You could probably rappel down a ventilation shaft on chirstmas eve with it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/115853/IMG-1037-151625.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/115853/IMG-1038-151626.JPG

Before that, I had this Troy adapter:http://www.skdtac.com/v/vspfiles/photos/TRO.309-2T.jpg

If you want to try this Troy mount before you drill your buttstock, PM me your address and I'll send it over.
View Quote

Thanks for offer but I'm really wanting something further back on the stock.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't speak to the durability as I haven't really used mine yet.  That said, most of the reports of breakage that I saw seemed to be the result of over tightening the flush cup.  Also, it comes with a bunch of hard yellow thread sealant on it which forces you to apply quite a bit of torque.  I removed the yellow stuff and then installed with red Loctite.  You hold the nut in place on the inside and then tighten the flush cup with a qd swivel.  The instructions say you can insert a screwdriver into the swivel for more torque, and I think that is where people end up breaking it.  I tightened it with just the swivel.  The nut has teeth on it that bite into the stock on the inside.  Between that and the red Loctite it's not going anywhere.  

Quoted:
That Noveske QD cup looks great but I've read reviews of it breaking easily. Any truth to this?
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I can't speak to the durability as I haven't really used mine yet.  That said, most of the reports of breakage that I saw seemed to be the result of over tightening the flush cup.  Also, it comes with a bunch of hard yellow thread sealant on it which forces you to apply quite a bit of torque.  I removed the yellow stuff and then installed with red Loctite.  You hold the nut in place on the inside and then tighten the flush cup with a qd swivel.  The instructions say you can insert a screwdriver into the swivel for more torque, and I think that is where people end up breaking it.  I tightened it with just the swivel.  The nut has teeth on it that bite into the stock on the inside.  Between that and the red Loctite it's not going anywhere.  
View Quote

That makes since. I think I'm going to give it a shot, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm interested in doing the same thing. For an A2 stock, that's a good place for a sling swivel. I like how the rifle hangs with a 2 point sling with this location of rear mount. Since the stock is hollow, like another poster mentioned, you can use various flush cups and just embed them in epoxy. Either way, a good thing.

I also have a collapsible stock collar that puts the sling mount where the castle nut is, and I just don't care for the sling mount in that location, I prefer the sling mounts a little further apart, and at or above the barrel center line. The original sling mount locations for the A2 are not comfortable for me at all, either to carry the rifle across my chest, or to use as a hasty sling to steady the rifle for a shot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I put this Tango Down on mine, I like it a lot.

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/472/89453.JPG
View Quote

I have one of these on my recce build and i like it a lot too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I run 2 stocks with the noveske cups and love them. I tried the tangodown mount and it worked well but I don't like my 2 points up by the receiver. I also tried the damage industries socket but I felt like it caused the rifle to "tip" when it was up tight against my chest. I like the USGI-ness of the strap mount but it's bulky and I like QD sockets

Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Finally ordered the Noveske QD mount and got it installed a few minutes ago. I'm really happy with it, thanks everyone!

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top