BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2017 7:56:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]
But don't you need to clean suppressors?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#2]
you can pin and weld or high temp solder. You don't need to clean a centerfire can.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#3]
If you pin and weld a suppressor onto a short barrel to bring the total barrel+suppressor length to 16" or more, then you would have a one-stamp gun.  There would be an NFA stamp for the suppressor but no need for the rifle, same as pin and weld any muzzle device to bring the barrel to 16".

However, this is generally not advised, as it limits your ability to service and clean the suppressor, nor can you swap it between multiple rifles.  Also, barrels are considered wear items, while a well made suppressor should have a longer lifespan, so should you ever shoot out the barrel, you'd risk damaging or destroying the suppressor trying to remove it and re-mount to a new barrel.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes. It's what some refer to as a 1 stamp gun. As long as you make it past 16".

It's been done plenty of times, and a good center fire suppressor doesn't need to be cleaned like a rimfire model.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Typically rifle suppressors don't need to be 'cleaned.'  However should you ever have a baffle strike or some other issue that requires factory maintenance on the suppressor I'm betting a lot of companies would say "sorry" due to you having it pinned and welded.
Also, you'd better make sure the gunsmith is on top of their shit cause if your threads aren't concentric and now it's permanently welded to your can you''re gonna be pissed.

Honestly, it's not worth the hassle. Just get an SBR stamp too or build a pistol with one of these cheater braces everyone is doing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I keep seeing this topic come up and never have seen the ATF's opinion on this. Are you allowed to permanently alter a suppressor by permanently attaching it to a barrel? 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, good. This is all depending on the hearing act. Not getting a stamp.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Typically rifle suppressors don't need to be 'cleaned.'  However should you ever have a baffle strike or some other issue that requires factory maintenance on the suppressor I'm betting a lot of companies would say "sorry" due to you having it pinned and welded.
Also, you'd better make sure the gunsmith is on top of their shit cause if your threads aren't concentric and now it's permanently welded to your can you''re gonna be pissed.

Honestly, it's not worth the hassle. Just get an SBR stamp too or build a pistol with one of these cheater braces everyone is doing.
View Quote

Griffin Armament (there are likely other mfrs as well) makes at least a couple specifically for the purpose of a 1 stamp build.  Call them ahead of time if you're concerned about warranty issues.  I think you'll find that most will stand behind good quality work, but may not be as cooperative with mangled garbage.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're going to wait for the nfa to give you a suppressor tax stamp, you may as well file for the SBR at the same time.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes you can.

And if you do, use an MRP. Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes you can.

And if you do, use an MRP. Ask me how I know.
View Quote

LMT MRP?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you're going to wait for the nfa to give you a suppressor tax stamp, you may as well file for the SBR at the same time.
View Quote

This ^^^???

I would hate to take the chance of a smith screwing this up if I had to wait 8-12 months to get my can.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

LMT MRP?
View Quote

Yes. Get a 14.5" barrel, cut it down without opening the port and weld the can on. You can easily get the barrel off to service the gas system.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:28:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This ^^^???

I would hate to take the chance of a smith screwing this up if I had to wait 8-12 months to get my can.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This ^^^???

OP stated that he's banking on the HPA, and has no intent of going through the ATF's BS.

Sig Sauer makes a thread-on 5.56 suppressor that is specifically designed to be it easy to have it permanently attached.

OP, when pinning a suppressor, HAVE IT DONE BY ADCO. Better to be safe than sorry.

I'd recommend using a quality medium-profile chrome-lined barrel so your barrel life will be roughly equal to that of the suppressor.

Buddy of mine used a 14.5" or 16" SOCOM barrel from BCM and had it cut down to around 11" by ADCO at the same time as they pinned on a suppressor. (Don't remember which one, will ask him next time I see him) Didn't have to mess with the gas port or anything, and it ran pretty well, wasn't over-gassed at all when I shot it. He also had a LMT enhanced BCG, so that probably helped a lot with taming the gas blowback.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

OP stated that he's banking on the HPA, and has no intent of going through the ATF's BS.

Sig Sauer makes a thread-on 5.56 suppressor that is specifically designed to be it easy to have it permanently attached.

OP, when pinning a suppressor, HAVE IT DONE BY ADCO. Better to be safe than sorry.

I'd recommend using a quality medium-profile chrome-lined barrel so your barrel life will be roughly equal to that of the suppressor.

Buddy of mine used a 14.5" or 16" SOCOM barrel from BCM and had it cut down to around 11" by ADCO at the same time as they pinned on a suppressor. (Don't remember which one, will ask him next time I see him) Didn't have to mess with the gas port or anything, and it ran pretty well, wasn't over-gassed at all when I shot it. He also had a LMT enhanced BCG, so that probably helped a lot with taming the gas blowback.
View Quote

Ok, so he is going to wait the 1-2 years before the HPA passes before buying a can and getting it permantely attached to his barrel.  In that case, sounds like it might be a good idea.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:01:20 AM EDT
[#16]
If it doesn't pass, then I won't get a can. Not a necessity. And no sbr stamp should be needed if I buy the barrel. I want as little to do with the government as possible.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If it doesn't pass, then I won't get a can. Not a necessity. And no sbr stamp should be needed if I buy the barrel. I want as little to do with the government as possible.
View Quote

If it passes, the integral suppressor market will take off. There are already some out there.

Gemtech and Daniel Defense come to mind.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

then you wont be getting a can
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#19]
LOL, so by you wanting to have nothing to do with the govt you will not be getting a can?  Seems like they are making you do exactly what they wanted you to do
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This doesn't make any sense. If it passes you still get your van. In fact if it passes you're garusnteed your can. You won't touch one for at least a year due to demand.

And if it doesn't pass (which it wont, stop believing the hype, gov doesn't give taxes or freedoms back) you have to wait anyway.

Just go buy one. They are awesome.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If it passes, the integral suppressor market will take off. There are already some out there.

Gemtech and Daniel Defense come to mind.
View Quote

I have several project ideas. DDs rifle has a good idea of the front cap of the unscrews so you can access the baffles.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top