Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2017 1:08:27 PM EDT
I'm tempted to snag one of Sharps extreme bcg made of S7 tool steel. But I'm worried about it eating up the barrel extension and/or bolt catches.

I don't remember the type of steel the extension is, but i want to think it's softer that S7 which makes me a little concerned.

I tried searching for better extensions, but only found BAT and various mfgs offering mil spec extensions.

What's the consensus?

Goal is a balls deep reliability setup. No weak links.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I run em in all my bcgs. Im not a super high round count guy (like 1k a year, honestly), but ive had no issues with em
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#3]
So far my Sharps bolt has been great.  I don't see any increased wear to the barrel extension.  In fact, due to the NP3 treatment and the design of the bolt lugs I expect to see less wear over time.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I seem to remember a thread where a guy tested those bolts and it broke. If you want a bad ass bolt buy the LMT enhanced.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/658805_I_broke_the_unbreakable_Sharps_Reliabolt___TWO_BROKEN_NOW__Update_Pg__5.html

eta found.

I wouldn't buy the POS. LMT enhanced FTW.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I seem to remember a thread where a guy tested those bolts and it broke. If you want a bad ass bolt buy the LMT enhanced.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/658805_I_broke_the_unbreakable_Sharps_Reliabolt___TWO_BROKEN_NOW__Update_Pg__5.html

eta found.

I wouldn't buy the POS. LMT enhanced FTW.
View Quote
To be fair: Sharps had a bad run and recalled them.  I haven't heard of another broken bolt in several years. 

I recently picked one up to try in my BumpSAW.  Guess I'll see how she holds up
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
To be fair: Sharps had a bad run and recalled them.  I haven't heard of another broken bolt in several years. 

I recently picked one up to try in my BumpSAW.  Guess I'll see how she holds up
View Quote

Let us know the results. BumpSAW should really put it through its paces.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, it will spend almost all it's time at 1,000 RPM.  I don't get out with it as often as I would like, but it still gets a decent amount of use.

Here is a clip from my last range trip with it, lot's of fun ringing the steal with it
https://youtu.be/E43IFdsH7eM
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:01:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You asked in your title about S7 carriers, to my knowledge 8620 is pretty much the only alloy used in carriers.
View Quote

Got THIS from rainier in the email today or yesterday.

As i understand it, bolt AND carrier are S7 and is NOT the same as the Relia-bolt.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I too remember the thread of the broken ones, but like another said, Sharps fixed it. Also just noticed after reading again, the extractor is not S7, which is kinda odd i guess.

The LMT is a first choice, but the Sharps bcg cost the same as just the bolt. Sharps has a pretty decent track record, so o thought it was worth looking into our possibly taking the plunge.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

As i understand it, bolt AND carrier are S7 and is NOT the same as the Relia-bolt.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I too remember the thread of the broken ones, but like another said, Sharps fixed it. Also just noticed after reading again, the extractor is not S7, which is kinda odd i guess.

The LMT is a first choice, but the Sharps bcg cost the same as just the bolt. Sharps has a pretty decent track record, so o thought it was worth looking into our possibly taking the plunge.
View Quote

The Sharps Relia-bolt and Balanced Bolt Carrier are both made of S7 according to Sharps.  The Rainier Arms version looks to be the same, but with DLC instead of NP3 coating.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:22:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

View Quote
That's a sharps reliabolt. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:42:06 PM EDT
[#11]
S-7 when heat treated and tempered for ultimate strength, will have a C-scale hardness of 54-57. This is not a problem for the extension. A nitrided surface is over 60 C- scale. Making a carrier out of S-7 is a waste. An 8620 carrier will out live you. The only problem with S-7 is it is not forgiving in heat treat. If it is not done precisely, you most likely will have a brittle bolt. You can not allow S-7 to cool below 120 degrees before tempering. I recommend double tempering. Craig
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#12]
An 8620 bolt carrier from one of the decent houses is going to last a very very long time.
Bolts not so much.
There is or at least was a tech note on the Armalite website about the loading on the bolt lugs which explains a lot about why that may be.
Some of these super bolts may be better, but having a spare BCG on hand is probably the surefire way to keep your weapon running.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
S-7 when heat treated and tempered for ultimate strength, will have a C-scale hardness of 54-57. This is not a problem for the extension. A nitrided surface is over 60 C- scale. Making a carrier out of S-7 is a waste. An 8620 carrier will out live you. The only problem with S-7 is it is not forgiving in heat treat. If it is not done precisely, you most likely will have a brittle bolt. You can not allow S-7 to cool below 120 degrees before tempering. I recommend double tempering. Craig
View Quote

Same issues with 9310. It's cheaper to buy in bulk compared to C158.

I'm all for mil-spec, if there was anything truly better, it would've been fully adopted i assume. I was curious and thought about it. I think the only benefit for an S7 carrier would be the added weight maybe.

I'm deciding against it. Standard stuff is all I'll need. The critical heat treating concerns me, the probabilities are too high to fully trust it. I've personally never had a bolt break on me yet, just one extractor on my first build.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

View Quote

The Sharps reliabolt extractor is S7 tool steel, as is the carrier (balanced carrier).
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Sharps doesn't offer the NP3PLUS version anymore. They now do it with a DLC coating, Rainier is just getting the new ones. The extractor is not S7, it is a standard Mil-Spec one. Sharps did that cause it's a consumable item and can be purchased easily. Used a NP3+ BCG in a current build and a Reliabolt in an Aries carrier. The NP3+ is a dream to clean.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Double tap, sorry bout that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm all for mil-spec, if there was anything truly better, it would've been fully adopted i assume. I was curious and thought about it. I think the only benefit for an S7 carrier would be the added weight maybe.

I'm deciding against it. Standard stuff is all I'll need. The critical heat treating concerns me, the probabilities are too high to fully trust it. I've personally never had a bolt break on me yet, just one extractor on my first build.

Thanks for the info.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info.

Its a big problem in this industry is that "enhanced" products never release their testing data. I found many manufacturers unwilling to respond to inquiry regarding such data. Or, if they were willing to respond, they fell back on protecting their intellectual property. Understandable, but without the data how can we determine which products are truly enhanced?

I did my own digging and found data from a reliable source which introduced a method of cold work hardening the bolt which doubled the life of the bolt over a standard C128 bolt.

Whats interesting is that this process uses a standard milspec bolt and gives us *quantifiable* gains in bolt life without fancy bullshit coatings or major changes to the lug geometry.

I talk about it on my article:The Data Driven AR15

Low plasticity roller ball burnishing of the bolt is a low hanging fruit for a manufacturer to grab and their is data to back it up as a data driven step foreward in the enhancement of the AR15 bolt.

I hope someone can produce this product and integrate it into their product line.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
An 8620 bolt carrier from one of the decent houses is going to last a very very long time.
Bolts not so much.
There is or at least was a tech note on the Armalite website about the loading on the bolt lugs which explains a lot about why that may be.
Some of these super bolts may be better, but having a spare BCG on hand is probably the surefire way to keep your weapon running.
View Quote

That's why Bolts are C-158 and can go in excess of 15,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Barrett .50 bolts are S7 and last a very long time. We saw rifles with excess of 15,000 rds come in the shop that the bolt had no flaws after being magnafluxed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:55:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I also like that Sharps has a lifetime warranty on their bolts.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top