Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2017 6:44:21 PM EDT
I've recently been fortunate to be able to pick up a forged Noveske receiver and KAC URX2 10.75 from five7guy in the EE.  The 2 pieces have a really good receiver to rail alignment with each other.  I also have a spare Noveske gen1 lower and I've been thinking about what BCG to use in this gun.

I have grown to like the looks of the new BCM Ion Bond FDE and also a Sharps NP3 carrier group.

What else should I consider for this gun?

Battle Arms
VDI
JP
Cryptic Coatings

This rifle will most like get a Noveske stainless barrel unless something jumps out at me that just screams "buy me."

Thank you for your input.

ETA 28FEB2017:
It looks like the planned barrel I was going to buy for this gun is no longer available.  There were plans for a stainless Noveske barrel to come from MSTN which used a gas system length identical to the KAC gas system length.  Unfortunately, the stainless non-coated variant is no longer available, very much due to my inability to buy one in a timely manner.

So, what barrel should I get for this one?  Carbine 14.5 and pin and weld a brake to it?  Build a 300BLK rifle?  Maybe even a 14.5" 6.5G carbine?  A 6.5G carbine would give me an excuse to get the new YHM QD Brake I've been thinking of.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#1]
For me, I would just pick up one of the PSA Premium Blems they have on sale right now for $69.99, I own several of them and they have never failed me, full auto profile and they just work.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't go wrong with the BCM.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been happy with Black Nitride through cryptic coatings.. think that's who I went through.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I forgot about Cryptic Coatings.  Thank you.  I can add them to my list now
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Rubber City
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Any BCG that is high in lubricity is nice. Nickel Boron, for an example. I have a PSA full auto bcg and it works fine but it feels like a 2x4. If I take a paper towel and clean it it sometimes rips the towel and leaves small pieces. I have other BCG's that feel super slick and I prefer those. One wipe with a paper towel (although I usually use cotton rags) and it clean with no snags.

Right now I enjoy the Faxon Lightweight BCG but it may require adjustable gas block/key to work to it's fullest potential.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#7]
PSA has their Nickel Boron BCG on sale this weekend for something like $109. I asked this same question over in the Build it yourself section. The general consensus was to go with PSA. Got the email about the sale and went ahead and ordered one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#8]
ToolCraft is tough to beat. Fact is they do them for a lot of the more reputable companies. Their people are first class. Craig
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Colt, LMT, BCM.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:25:05 PM EDT
[#10]
One of the nicer carriers I had a chance to build off was a Les Baer hard chrome.  They looked very similar in the finish to the old Colt slick-side carriers and were pretty close to an auto profile but not quite.  I had picked up several of them from Brownells during the scare----about a dozen or so IIRC.  Unfortunately they're not being produced any longer, but I still have one

I know RCA has made BCGs for Noveske but I want to do something a little different on this rifle.  The Cryptic ones seem to be in the direction I want to go in, but it might be a little while before I actually get this one finished.  I am definitely taking my time on this one
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#11]
My Cryptic Coatings has been great.  Even in the more basic coatings, like phosphate and melonite, they are top notch.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:45:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Nothing wrong with a PSA BCG, but I prefer BCM on belief it offers more quality.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:01:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ToolCraft is tough to beat. Fact is they do them for a lot of the more reputable companies. Their people are first class. Craig
View Quote

I agree. So, OP, I'd vote for Cryptic in the coating of your preference. I've seen some allege they are the retail "arm" of Toolcraft. Even if that's not the case, they still use TC with all of their BCGs; and offer a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:16:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
One of the nicer carriers I had a chance to build off was a Les Baer hard chrome.  They looked very similar in the finish to the old Colt slick-side carriers and were pretty close to an auto profile but not quite.  I had picked up several of them from Brownells during the scare----about a dozen or so IIRC.  Unfortunately they're not being produced any longer, but I still have one

I know RCA has made BCGs for Noveske but I want to do something a little different on this rifle.  The Cryptic ones seem to be in the direction I want to go in, but it might be a little while before I actually get this one finished.  I am definitely taking my time on this one
View Quote

You sure? I have a Noveske RCA and it makes the action smooth the RCA is an admirably well machined part. I also have a JP LMOS stainless that rifles action is smoother, it feels like the BCG is running on ball bearings charging that rifle just feels sweet. I like both the RCA and JP more than the BCM MG BCG I have which has a ruff texture to it but is a high quality part. Curious are the differences between the ion BCG and the MG BCG just color?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:28:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I agree. So, OP, I'd vote for Cryptic in the coating of your preference. I've seen some allege they are the retail "arm" of Toolcraft. Even if that's not the case, they still use TC with all of their BCGs; and offer a lifetime warranty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup that's exactly what my thought process was.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Surprised no one mentioned Toolcraft, WMD, or FailZero BCGs yet.

My vote goes to the melonited BCM.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I really like the chrome bcg that RRA sells.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I am starting to lean toward Cryptic Coatings.

Mystic Black?

Mystic Bronze?

Or Nickel Boron?

The stainless barrel I think I'm going to use will also get dimpled and bead blasted at either ADCO or Nefarious Arms (Marvin Pitts).  It will be getting either a NT-4 compensator or my PWS-YHM QD brake for my titanium 308 can.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That allegation comes from Toolcraft:
Our carriers are available for online purchase thru our partner Cryptic Coatings. Cryptic Coatings offers our carriers with many of their specialty coatings.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Get a toolcraft and be done.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My vote goes to the melonited BCM.
View Quote

Was this melonited afterwards?  I've never seen a melonite BCM BCG and I don't see one on their website.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I believe the reference goes to ion bonded.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:45:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Thanks. I swore it was on their website but couldn't seem to find it with a quick search.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#24]
looks like a pretty expensive build. dont cheap out on the BCG. i run BCM on all of my rifles except my Colt
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:12:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted: looks like a pretty expensive build. dont cheap out on the BCG. i run BCM on all of my rifles except my Colt
View Quote
I usually don't have much trouble envisioning what I should use in the components but this one is going to be a very special rifle once I'm finished.

five7guy has been somewhat instrumental in getting me to realize I need to have a dimpled barreled gun so I figured it should be this one.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:47:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Lots of names named.  Lots are good.

How different did you want your BCG to look?
Definitely Cryptic Coatings really has some different colors.
I know Spike's has a nickel boron that has a bronze look after shooting.  Really easy to clean.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:28:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Price is insane and availability is low, but I REALLY want one of the LMT enhanced BCG's. That's probably the BCG i'd hunt down for that build personally. Other than that, Colt BCM DD Toolcraft
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Lots of names named.  Lots are good.

How different did you want your BCG to look?
Definitely Cryptic Coatings really has some different colors.
I know Spike's has a nickel boron that has a bronze look after shooting.  Really easy to clean.
View Quote
That is what I've been struggling with.  Sometimes with my builds I'll use a nickel boron BCG when running a stainless barrel, for that continuation of the look.  With this one, the stainless barrel will probably be used, but I am having a hard time visualizing how the BCM Ion Bonded would look, as opposed to say the Cryptic Nickel Boron or Mystic Bronze.  They all seem to speak to me.

I might have to make a poll now.

Thank your suggestions everyone.  I am starting to get excited about this build.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Here is my favorite under 150.00 BCG. My buddy bought a Spikes NIB that say's "MADE IN THE USA" with the Spikes logo and paid 189.00 on sale, well this one looks the same with EXO coating with a lifetime warranty for around 134.00. I have 6 of these, thousands of rounds, and never a problem and cleans up like this.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Here is what I really like about it. Go USA!!!!! BTW, I bought these at Right to Bear Arms and Supply and I just looked on their site and they have some blems for 119.00. Great deal. FYI, get some Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish for your NIB's. It's a miracle rub and makes them look better than new!!!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Here's a pic and you can get it at Wal-Mart. I'm sure most of you know this but just in case you didn't.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:09:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I forgot about Cryptic Coatings.  Thank you.  I can add them to my list now
View Quote

You want to spend that kind of money... then get the best.  JP Full Mass BCG
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a DSA NTFE.   Easy to clean.  No problems.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#34]
I only have one DI AR. The rest are piston operated guns.

That being said, I built the gun is question, and used a Seekins BCG, I got from Optics Planet with a 12% off coupon.
Sadly the are nolonger making them. I was told at the NRA meetings last year it was because of slow sales.
Midway used to carry them, so I included a link to the page describing them.

Seekins BCG
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
For me, I would just pick up one of the PSA Premium Blems they have on sale right now for $69.99, I own several of them and they have never failed me, full auto profile and they just work.
View Quote

I just asked about this in the BIY section. Seeing as the Nickel Boron BCG from them is on sale as well for $99.99, is it worth the extra $30 over the Premium?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted: You want to spend that kind of money... then get the best.  JP Full Mass BCG
View Quote
I think I'm getting an idea as to what Trump was thinking when he had a small list of SCOTUS appointees.  Gorsuch, Sykes, Hardiman, Pryor....

I think a JP would be a great option for this gun, but I'm not sure what direction I'm going to take it in.  There are some great choices available to me.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Can't go wrong with the BCM.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Updated in the OP.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Updated in the OP.
View Quote

What BCG did you get?

I say build a 300BO
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#40]
What BCG did you get?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#41]
If we are talking barrels now...

Larue is my go to...

But I've recently been very impressed with faxon.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted: What BCG did you get?
View Quote
I haven't picked one up yet.  When I saw those barrels were unavailable in the bead blasted stainless, I held off on ordering the BCG.  This one may become a Grendel, or a 14.5/16" 5.56 or 300BLK.  There are a few ideas I'm working on at the moment which can make this rifle come to fruition though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I haven't picked one up yet.  When I saw those barrels were unavailable in the bead blasted stainless, I held off on ordering the BCG.  This one may become a Grendel, or a 14.5/16" 5.56 or 300BLK.  There are a few ideas I'm working on at the moment which can make this rifle come to fruition though.
View Quote

If you're staying only 14.5/16 then build the Grendel. Everything I have read and seen about this round seems pretty cool. If you end up building a super short AR then try the 300BO.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I think I'm getting an idea as to what Trump was thinking when he had a small list of SCOTUS appointees.  Gorsuch, Sykes, Hardiman, Pryor....

I think a JP would be a great option for this gun, but I'm not sure what direction I'm going to take it in.  There are some great choices available to me.
View Quote

You're right there are a lot of great choices out there, but my vote goes to JP too. A FMOS with their enchanced bolt and you can't go wrong. I fired thousands through them and never had an issue.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks again everyone for the great responses. I have more or less decided to switch out my URX 2 for a M4A1 RIS II and a Grendel barrel. The glass I'm going to use will be a Vortex Razor 1.5-8 in their CVP-1 cantilever. I Now I need to figure out what 16" Grendel barrel to get.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Rubber City
View Quote

^^ this but the Noveske marked version.  How is this even a question with noveske receivers man?!?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

^^ this but the Noveske marked version.  How is this even a question with noveske receivers man?!?
View Quote

Mega is just as good and cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted: ^^ this but the Noveske marked version.  How is this even a question with noveske receivers man?!?
View Quote
I have considered picking up a Noveske marked BCG, but as I look around for M4A1 RIS II handguards, the idea of a stainless barreled Grendel is starting to grow on me again.

It'll be the 4th 6.5G I've built in the last 8 years.

I'm thinking the taupe KAC Vero Beach panels will look really good on the DD FDE RIS.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top