Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 10
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this upper more CAR length hand guard, or closer to mid length?  With my long arms, I'm hoping for closer to mid length, from people who know or can post a picture.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:09:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Why would I buy something from Taiwan with prices on US stuff being so cheap right now?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:10:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would I buy something from Taiwan with prices on US stuff being so cheap right now?
View Quote
Clearly YOU shouldn't. Move along.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:22:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same reason I want a Mauser, and a Finnish Mosin, and a HK 93, and and M1 Garand. Because it is cool. I have more vanilla AR 15s than I can use. I just want more, and more diversity.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some people can't seem to get over the idea that DI is a reliable system and they are infatuated with piston uppers. The problem is that many of those uppers are STUPID expensive....so, for those folks that think they will gain some advantage out of a pistol upper but don't want to shell out lots of cash, this would be of interest.

Personally, I don't think pistons add much and their negatives outweigh the positives but it takes all kinds to make the world go round.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've got a lower, red dot and buis ready for this thing.
View Quote

You're not alone brother. All I need is the upper.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Some people can't seem to get over the idea that DI is a reliable system and they are infatuated with piston uppers. The problem is that many of those uppers are STUPID expensive....so, for those folks that think they will gain some advantage out of a pistol upper but don't want to shell out lots of cash, this would be of interest.

Personally, I don't think pistons add much and their negatives outweigh the positives but it takes all kinds to make the world go round.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That may be the motive for some people, but I promise you this. Most of us want it... wait for it... because it is cool. We like the way it looks. We already have four DI guns that work perfectly, and we want to get this thing because it looks fun to own. This isn't about DI vs piston. It's just a cool thing that we want to have in our collection.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That may be the motive for some people, but I promise you this. Most of us want it... wait for it... because it is cool. We like the way it looks. We already have four DI guns that work perfectly, and we want to get this thing because it looks fun to own. This isn't about DI vs piston. It's just a cool thing that we want to have in our collection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I get it. Sorry I was drunk last night. After further review I like foreign military shit and this is a symbolic FU to China. Kinda want one as I dont have a piston upper. I appreciate that this is a replica of what they use and not a foreign invasion of what WE already make, further saturating the market.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Our upper did not come with a rear sight even though it was in the retail packaging but they clearly stated that it was demo'ing on the range.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Ron,
Any kind of update on how many rounds the upper has seen so far as of early February?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ron,
Any kind of update on how many rounds the upper has seen so far as of early February?
View Quote

I hate to say it but we finally suffered a failure with the upper. The plastic hand guard at the gas block finally cracked. The upper is still functional and I myself would feel safe using it but because of liability issues, I had the armorers pull it.

The hand guards attach to the gas block and after continuous running, it's my opinion that the heat not going into the upper receiver/bolt carrier group is  caused the plastic to crack. It has been very low-maintenance unit and will definitely add more to the left when a rail is available. I'm not knocking the quality of the rail but most customers want the look of a rail with cover and forwards pistol grip.

V/R
Ron
Edit: dyslexia and a cocktail while on the flight
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I hate to say it but we finally sufferers a failure with the upper. The plastic hand guard at the gas block finally cracked. The upper is still functional and I myself would feel safe using it but because of liability issues, I had the armorers pull it.

The hand guards attach to the gas block and after continuous running, it's my opinion that the not going into thr upper receiver/bolt carrier group, that caused the plastic to crack. It has been very low-maintenance unit and will definitely add more to the left when a rail is available. I'm not knocking the quality of the rail but most customers want the look of a rail with cover and forwards pistol grip.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ron,

I hate to say it but we finally sufferers a failure with the upper. The plastic hand guard at the gas block finally cracked. The upper is still functional and I myself would feel safe using it but because of liability issues, I had the armorers pull it.

The hand guards attach to the gas block and after continuous running, it's my opinion that the not going into thr upper receiver/bolt carrier group, that caused the plastic to crack. It has been very low-maintenance unit and will definitely add more to the left when a rail is available. I'm not knocking the quality of the rail but most customers want the look of a rail with cover and forwards pistol grip.

V/R
Ron

Thanks for the update Ron.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I hate to say it but we finally suffered a failure with the upper. The plastic hand guard at the gas block finally cracked. The upper is still functional and I myself would feel safe using it but because of liability issues, I had the armorers pull it.
View Quote

Just under four months in your operating conditions and it breaks a part of the handguard? I don't know how much I'd hold that against the upper.

Any estimate on the round count at this time?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Just under four months in your operating conditions ....

View Quote
This.

Also, thanks for continuing to update us 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The hand guards attach to the gas block and after continuous running, it's my opinion that the heat not going into the upper receiver/bolt carrier group is  caused the plastic to crack. It has been very low-maintenance unit and will definitely add more to the left when a rail is available. I'm not knocking the quality of the rail but most customers want the look of a rail with cover and forwards pistol grip.

V/R
Ron
Edit: dyslexia and a cocktail while on the flight
View Quote
Any idea on round count? I am going to hazard a guess and say any upper you're running at BFV will get a hell of a lot more use than one I would personally use. If it took two or three months of continual FA abuse before it showed a failure I'm going to say it's good enough for me. Thank you for the report! Any word from Wolf on when they will have more available to you (or us!)?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just under four months in your operating conditions and it breaks a part of the handguard? I don't know how much I'd hold that against the upper.

View Quote

Ditto on the estimated round count request.

If the plastic handguard cracked at the gas block from the heat, that's not surprising. I've melted plastic handguards on AR15's, M4's and M16's.

Wondering if we'll ever see the T91 quad rail in the states.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ROC desgn in proven. They've been running it for a VERY LONG TIME. This isn't just some fad upper. It is a proven military design.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:43:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The ROC desgn in proven. They've been running it for a VERY LONG TIME. This isn't just some fad upper. It is a proven military design.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The original T65 was adopted in 1976, so 41 years. Damn good track record. But we don't exactly have armorer's logs on what fails nor when it fails, not yet, anyway.

It isn't better than DI, but I wouldn't call it worse, either. Not after it's been in continuous service for 40+ years.

It's different... And a proven design. That's why people are interested.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:It's different... And a proven design. That's why people are interested.
View Quote

Yep. It's also an armory-produced genuine military arm. It's not made by some LLC in a business park in Iowa by a guy just trying to pay the bills. It's the real-deal item that we're lucky enough to have released to us in a small batch here in the states. Why do people collect Milsurps and build rifles from demilled part kits? Because we want the real thing. That's why this is so interesting. A whole lot of people are seeing this and spewing some bullshit about DI vs. Piston. I couldn't give a shit about that stupid argument and it makes me think the people complaining about it are either not paying attention or just idiots who can't comprehend meaning in a firearm beyond whatever the current flavor-of-the-month is.

/rant over
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#19]
The system has been around long enough and battle proven in Taiwan, El Salvador, Haiti, Liberia, Lybia and Panama. No further testing is required.

Just take my money already so I can get on with building my Type 65 clone.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#20]
enough bullshit arguing.  When is this available?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not soon enough.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Not soon enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not soon enough.

It should have already made its way to distributors... No idea what the hold up is.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:58:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Hurry the fuck up and take my fucking money.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:58:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hurry the fuck up and take my fucking money.
View Quote

WORD  
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Did some accuracy test with the new Trijicon AccuPower 1-8x28mm yesterday.

Few issues (not with the upper):

- The Trijicon's center-cross hair is bigger than the 1-in squard on Hornady target. I need to use my Nikon 4-16x50mm FFP scope next time.
- While I like the Warne MSR QD rings, it really needs more off-sets with this optic. I will try to get a Geissele Super mount.
- The Alexander Arms single-stage trigger with its blade type trigger bow is no really made for precision shooting. I will switch that out to a set of LaRue MBT trigger.
- I need better support. I was just using my range bag on a cheap plastic folding table. Need to go prone on a matte and couple of sandbag support.
- It was windy and cold....

Now with all the above handicaps: 2-in group with the US-made Fiocch 55gr commercial ammo, slightly better with the Taiwanese made WPA Gold 55gr loaded in milspec pressure, 1.7" with Blackhills Mk262 77gr. All tested at 100 yds.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
http://i68.tinypic.com/28un436.jpg

- The Trijicon's center-cross hair is bigger than the 1-in squard on Hornady target. I need to use my Nikon 4-16x50mm FFP scope next time.
- While I like the Warne MSR QD rings, it really needs more off-sets with this optic. I will try to get a Geissele Super mount.
- The Alexander Arms single-stage trigger with its blade type trigger bow is no really made for precision shooting. I will switch that out to a set of LaRue MBT trigger.
- I need better support. I was just using my range bag on a cheap plastic folding table. Need to go prone on a matte and couple of sandbag support.

Now with all the above handicaps: 2-in group with the US-made Fiocch 55gr commercial ammo, slightly better with the Taiwanese made WPA Gold 55gr loaded in milspec pressure, 1.7" with Blackhills Mk262 77gr. All tested at 100 yds.
View Quote

2 MOA isn't bad from a non-floated military rifle, particularly a piston AR
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
How/where did you get the upper, for what price?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:44:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks!

Now where'd you get one?!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:53:15 AM EDT
[#29]
It's a loaner just like Ron's because I'm in the industry. A small batch will be available next month with more to come afterward. Probably majority will be end up on Aims Surplus.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's a loaner just like Ron's because I'm in the industry. A small batch will be available next month with more to come afterward. Probably majority will be end up on Aims Surplus.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I have an article coming out any time in Firearms News testing the new Wolf piston upper too.

Nice solid design which runs and shoots well for a piston gun without the crazy price tags some have.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have an article coming out any time in Firearms News testing the new Wolf piston upper too.

Nice solid design which runs and shoots well for a piston gun without the crazy price tags some have.
View Quote

So there's no need to buy the magazine with that synopsis?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Sounds like that to me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:15:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's lots of words and numbers and things, so maybe not.......LOL
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

With no PROVEN benefits over a DI upper and little support. Ask the owners of Daewoo DR200 rifles how easy it is to find a bolt for that "proven military design" these days in this country... (Yea, I know a LITTLE about "other firearms history" in this country, other than the "flavor of the month"--- I've owned a shit ton of odd ball stuff- Galils, Hk93's, Fnc, Augs, Valmets, AR180s', Bushmaster M17 etc...)......

But for serious use it offers no benefits over a standard DI gun that I can see. If you want a "Gee Whiz I gotta" kind of Walter Mitty toy, fine and it's certainly a free country....
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yep. It's also an armory-produced genuine military arm. It's not made by some LLC in a business park in Iowa by a guy just trying to pay the bills. It's the real-deal item that we're lucky enough to have released to us in a small batch here in the states. Why do people collect Milsurps and build rifles from demilled part kits? Because we want the real thing. That's why this is so interesting. A whole lot of people are seeing this and spewing some bullshit about DI vs. Piston. I couldn't give a shit about that stupid argument and it makes me think the people complaining about it are either not paying attention or just idiots who can't comprehend meaning in a firearm beyond whatever the current flavor-of-the-month is.

/rant over
View Quote

Or maybe THIS is the current flavor of the month? The "American Standard" is the DI AR15, period. As far as an "armory produced design"....if you buy consumer grade junk, that's what you get, there are plenty of Mil Spec or better AR's- and the standards are well known, available right now.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

With no PROVEN benefits over a DI upper and little support. Ask the owners of Daewoo DR200 rifles how easy it is to find a bolt for that "proven military design" these days in this country... (Yea, I know a LITTLE about "other firearms history" in this country, other than the "flavor of the month"--- I've owned a shit ton of odd ball stuff- Galils, Hk93's, Fnc, Augs, Valmets, AR180s', Bushmaster M17 etc...)......

But for serious use it offers no benefits over a standard DI gun that I can see. If you want a "Gee Whiz I gotta" kind of Walter Mitty toy, fine and it's certainly a free country....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is room for all. The DI standard (of which I have 4) can be a great and reliable gun, and this piston can be a great reliable gun. They are not mutually exclusive. Most of the interest in this upper is just that it offers some variety, that it is an example of a gun used by a foreign military. same reason people like FALs, HK 91s, Garands, Mosins, Mausers, and Springfield Trapdoors.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There is room for all. The DI standard (of which I have 4) can be a great and reliable gun, and this piston can be a great reliable gun. They are not mutually exclusive. Most of the interest in this upper is just that it offers some variety, that it is an example of a gun used by a foreign military. same reason people like FALs, HK 91s, Garands, Mosins, Mausers, and Springfield Trapdoors.
View Quote

Sure, but people certainly do seem to be interested in "How many rounds it will last?".....

That's a question usually posed by people not so much interested in "historical significance, design advancement, Martial History" etc...as it is- "Will my SHTF rifle last me through the mutant hordes I slay on my way to being Humoungous, Lord of the Cul De Sac Soccer Moms". The guy that buys a Trapdoor Springfield because it's a US Martial Arm etc... generally isn't going to put 25,000 rounds through it....he appreciates it as a piece of firearms history.....
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Sure, but people certainly do seem to be interested in "How many rounds it will last?".....

That's a question usually posed by people not so much interested in "historical significance, design advancement, Martial History" etc...as it is- "Will my SHTF rifle last me through the mutant hordes I slay on my way to being Humoungous, Lord of the Cul De Sac Soccer Moms". The guy that buys a Trapdoor Springfield because it's a US Martial Arm etc... generally isn't going to put 25,000 rounds through it....he appreciates it as a piece of firearms history.....
View Quote
Call it curiosity. A more durable gun is cooler than a less durable gun. DI guns can be excellent, and so can this new one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you serious?  Do you know that four months of use at Rons gun torture house is probably equal to four lifetimes of use for your typical arfcommer who shoots less than a thousand rounds a year.

And aftermarket parts will come out. Especially better hand guards

Sounds to me like this upper is gtg. Four months at Rons gun torture house and only a cracked hand guard?  Yeah, gtg.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#41]
I just wanted one as a suppressor host.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Are you serious?  Do you know that four months of use at Rons gun torture house is probably equal to four lifetimes of use for your typical arfcommer who shoots less than a thousand rounds a year.

And aftermarket parts will come out. Especially better hand guards

Sounds to me like this upper is gtg. Four months at Rons gun torture house and only a cracked hand guard?  Yeah, gtg.
View Quote
That is exactly what he said. He is saying 'four months at battlefield vegas, and all that broke is one part? I don't hold that against the design."
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or maybe THIS is the current flavor of the month? The "American Standard" is the DI AR15, period. As far as an "armory produced design"....if you buy consumer grade junk, that's what you get, there are plenty of Mil Spec or better AR's- and the standards are well known, available right now.
Quoted:

So you don't buy one, Will, how easy is that?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

So you don't buy one, Will, how easy is that?
View Quote

Easy enough. I'm done with my Toy phase.

Having said that, I look back on the money absolutely WASTED on stupid shit- like making a Daewoo DR200 (A cheap 5.56 piston gun that used AR mags- before there WERE piston guns....The GRAIL of many...) into a decent rifle with a rail, optics mount, full 922R etc....and given it to do over again I damn sure would not. There were numerous other "phases" along the way- none of which did anything a decent DI AR couldn't do- but cost a bunch of money.

Many have not come to that realization yet....
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.... Daewoo DR200

I have a legit Daewoo K2 (Stoeger marked Max II)

You want to talk about lack of support? I have a MSAR AUG Clone too.

The design is proven. It isn't a bullshit fad upper like a piston conversion. Does it do anything different than DI? Nope. Is it a legit ROC Upper? Yup. That right there makes it worth it. 
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
LOL.... Daewoo DR200

http://i.imgur.com/XT029Ek.jpg

The design is proven. It isn't a bullshit fad upper like a piston conversion. Does it do anything different than DI? Nope. Is it a legit ROC Upper? Yup. That right there makes it worth it. 
View Quote

Then you are well aware of the perils of "cool stuff".....

Like I said, toys are fun but when you rarely take them out to shoot because you're afraid they might break etc...not so fun. You know how many such guns I've seen at gun shows that people are trying to practically GIVE AWAY because something broke and they can't find a part or they have one half assed mag and the guns are essentially an expensive paper weight? Stuff like Steyr GB pistols- Magazine is $125. Or how about a Beretta AR70? Cheap mags and easy to find firing pins and extractors there! How about a ten round mag for an HK SL 7 or 770? Only $150 apiece- scope mount is only twice that....or more.....Are we having fun yet?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Having said that, I look back on the money absolutely WASTED on stupid shit- like making a Daewoo DR200 (A cheap 5.56 piston gun that used AR mags- before there WERE piston guns....The GRAIL of many...) into a decent rifle with a rail, optics mount, full 922R etc....and given it to do over again I damn sure would not. There were numerous other "phases" along the way- none of which did anything a decent DI AR couldn't do- but cost a bunch of money.

View Quote

Why were you trying Barbie doll up a gun that was never designed for it? Treat it like an iron sighted A1 or A2 and you're gtg. I've had my dr200 since the 90s and have never needed extra parts (so far)
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
LOL.... Daewoo DR200

View Quote
I want one of those Daewoos, but I also want supply of spare parts 
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Like I said, toys are fun but when you rarely take them out to shoot because you're afraid they might break etc...not so fun. You know how many such guns I've seen at gun shows that people are trying to practically GIVE AWAY because something broke and they can't find a part or they have one half assed mag and the guns are essentially an expensive paper weight? Stuff like Steyr GB pistols- Magazine is $125. Or how about a Beretta AR70? Cheap mags and easy to find firing pins and extractors there! How about a ten round mag for an HK SL 7 or 770? Only $150 apiece- scope mount is only twice that....or more.....Are we having fun yet?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL.... Daewoo DR200

Here's my HK SLB 2000.

Ten Round Magazine cost me $200.

Five Round Magazine cost me $75.

What's your point? I take it out and hunt with it. HK does not warranty it nor even have the design anymore. They sold it to Merkel. 

I own Krags and Gew 88s. Parts aren't cheap for either. 

I own stuff because I want it. Not everything has to have a purpose to fight off the horde of the undead and me running the slave camp of soccer moms. 

I want this upper because it is a legit ROC design. Simple as that. Same reasons why I want a Howa Type 89 or a ChiCom Type 81. 
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sooo you took a rifle many collect for it's uniqueness and history and tried to turn it into an oper8or mall ninja rifle. I kinda get why you're not into this upper. It's not "regular kit" that can be messed with. It's not about that.

This upper clearly isn't for you. That's cool. No problem with how you want to collect and use your firearms. But also realize there isn't anything wrong with how other people like to collect and use their firearms. And FYI butting into and shitting on a thread where people ARE excited about something you're not is a dickass thing to do, so maybe cut that out.
Page / 10
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top