Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2016 9:15:00 PM EDT
I see very few Rem Defence M4 around they look good all the right stuff and cost about 1000 what do you think of them ??? I think they had the M4 contract but what happened ??????????
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly I'd steer clear of anything brand new that has the name remington. After their R51 saga and various other QC problems, I'm not spending my money on it.
It's unfathomable that some of the guns popping up even made it out of production.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a Remington R4 carbine. It was well made, and I had no issues with it. They've upped the price within the last 4-6 months though, and they've changed the markings from "5.56" to "Multi", which means post Philippine army contract receivers.

They lost out in the end to FNMI for the M4 contract.

Out of principle, I try and stay away from Remington stuff. All the firearms we want are in Remington Defense, including the RemDef ACR, and they're too stupid and tone deaf to release it to the civilian market.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#4]
In this day and age, I'm not really interested in buying most of what is winning big .gov contracts... Especially not from big green, aint what they used to be and its evident in every product they turn out
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Loose rear aperture, so they returned the rifles for repair? It's a removable carry handle.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Isn't the Remington brand basically  a re-branded Bushmaster or DPMS?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Isn't the Remington brand basically  a re-branded Bushmaster or DPMS?
View Quote

They're all Freedom Group.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#8]
There are so many companies making top notch, high quality guns, I'm not sure why anyone would even consider a brand of questionable quality.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There are so many companies making top notch, high quality guns, I'm not sure why anyone would even consider a brand of questionable quality.
View Quote

I agree. If a Remington R4 is running $1k, I'd skip it in a heartbeat for a 6920 or a BCM, etc. I miss the old Remington.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Colt or the FN
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I know it's a fad to hate on Remington these days, by guys who own Taurus, Kel-Tec, PSA, Radical, Hardened, etc....

More than half of the time that's the case.

But just internet stuff. I had a Rem700 that shot great, new production. So ya...
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Colt or the FN
View Quote

FN or Colt
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Wasn't even aware there were Remington marked ARs on the civilian market.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know it's a fad to hate on Remington these days, by guys who own Taurus, Kel-Tec, PSA, Radical, Hardened, etc....

But just internet stuff. I had a Rem700 that shot great, new production. So ya...
View Quote

I have quite a few Remington rifles, centerfire and remfire, and shotguns, spanning from about 50 years ago up until current.  Quality control after Freedom Group ownership has fallen off the cliff.  No internet BS here.  A Model 700  today is rough as a corncob compared to even a basic ADL of the past.  Same thing with 870 pumps.  And Marlin 336 leverguns.

What comes off the assembly lines now makes me cry.  I want to love Remington because I have so many, but no more.  Not until tbey get their shit together.

Have not seen a Remington branded AR in the wild, though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:55:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wasn't even aware there were Remington marked ARs on the civilian market.
View Quote

Remington had been selling the R15 (.223) and R25 (.308) for quite awhile.  They were marketed towards hunters, and commonly finished with a camo pattern.  It was pretty clear they were DPMS rifles with a different name tacked on.

A few years ago another division opened up call Remington Defense, and they market an accurized .308 called the RSASS (Remington Semi Auto Sniper System.  DPMS sells the .223 version, the Mini SASS.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:59:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Nope.

Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:27:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have quite a few Remington rifles, centerfire and remfire, and shotguns, spanning from about 50 years ago up until current.  Quality control after Freedom Group ownership has fallen off the cliff.  No internet BS here.  A Model 700  today is rough as a corncob compared to even a basic ADL of the past.  Same thing with 870 pumps.  And Marlin 336 leverguns.

What comes off the assembly lines now makes me cry.  I want to love Remington because I have so many, but no more.  Not until tbey get their shit together.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SHOW ME.

Again, my new production Rem 700 SPS Tactical shot 1moa as the base of a medium budget precision rifle 'build.' There were no signs of poor fit and finish, accuracy issues as some people have claimed (occassional lemon I'd say), and the trigger 'recall' which seemed to turn internet people on them. The the failed first attempt of the R51, a remaster of an old design, seems to have been the final straw.

Not worried about current Bushmaster guns, etc, only Remington branded stuff.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 4:20:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I have all the Colt stuff from 1965 ARs to M4s but the Rem caught my eye I would want one marked 5.56 not multi cal .
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:02:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

SHOW ME.

Again, my new production Rem 700 SPS Tactical shot 1moa as the base of a medium budget precision rifle 'build.' There were no signs of poor fit and finish, accuracy issues as some people have claimed (occassional lemon I'd say), and the trigger 'recall' which seemed to turn internet people on them. The the failed first attempt of the R51, a remaster of an old design, seems to have been the final straw.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SHOW ME.

I have bought a Remington 870 supermag earlier this year. It is a turkey gun. When I first got it everything appears great. It was in great condition, and everything was smooth as anything. My only complaint was after shooting the factory barrel, I noticed a huge scratch near the choke point. It bothered me a little so I ended up buying 3 barrels: a police 18 1/2" barrel with a fixed IC choke, a 18 1/2" screw on choke, and a 20" wingmaster barrel with a screw in choke. The outside of each barrel looks great, it fits great, and it works great. I kept everything in factory. Overall I am very pleased with remington.

As far as their bushmaster brand, I bought a Windham version of their rifle years ago. I love it and their recent NY produced Bushmaster upper I bought had better staking job on the bolt than when I bought it years ago.

Overall I think Remington gets a little hate on them but what a lot of folks don't know is that Remington has two factory lines for their product. For example, the "express" version of their Remington 870 comes from a different factory than their wingmaster series. There appears to be a very distinct difference in quality but they don't exactly tell that to consumers. The price point definitely makes a difference. An Express 870 at 300 bucks is going to behave a heck of a lot different than a 1000 Wingmaster series.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top