Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the approximate 10.3" Hanson port size because I have one of those barrels in my parts stash. But if Ballistic Advantage doesn't want it published, I respect that.  I can say that it's a good size for most applications in my opinion...in other words most people would not be disappointed.
View Quote

Let it fly!

If they didn't want it getting out they would have welded it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#2]
PointMan -

I understand, which is why I made my comment about 3 gunners last page, but I also realize that not ONLY 3 gunners tune their rifles to how they want it to run and what they want it to run on.

I also think there are differing definitions and criteria associated with the term "reliable" between shooters, which causes dissension and assumptions when we're all not talking the same scenarios.

What you and I consider reliable may not be the same. On the surface it is - Does the weapon go boom when my booger hook pulls the bang switch? Yes? Does it also get that empty brass casing out everytime? Yes? Ok well does it also pick up another one and chamber it after getting rid of that one? And so on. Like you said, Once we get past those basic "functional" obstacles, we can really delve into the weapon and pick it apart and find the recipe that we're looking for and the application in which we're looking at well.

While I understand the clone world and the desire to have a weapon with the Crane spec'ed gas port, I also see the benefit of having a weapon that is overgassed to cover the wider range of ammunition tolerances and powers. Take the normal SHTF scenario that is played out on here and what we're all prepping for. You have a CQBR which has proven itself when issued M855 and functions flawlessly. Now extend out that time frame of societal collapse, zombies, Commies, etc. and now see what ammunition is going to be available. You just dont know if you're going to get your hands on that M855, and you may only end up with that trashy Tula stuff The vast majority of community commandos protecting their streets arent going to be carrying 3 buffers and 3 springs to figure out if the gun will function or not, so why not cover all scenarios (which you've done)

So there is both sides to the coin, but I am of the mentality that I would rather be a little more overgassed, than not have enough in the system to cover whatever I may need or want. True - there is more wear and tear on the internal component, but are we really going to see those effects and be able to put a quantifiable measure on just how much more badder too much gas is on those components if you have 100% reliability suppressed and unsuppressed across all load options? You and I both know that recoil impulse can be influence by much more than the gas port. BCG weight, buffer weight, spring weight, rifle weight, forward weight/ balance of the weapon, barrel weight, accessories, grip stance, shooting position, etc. All of those affect that "felt" impulse.

BTW, I need to get one of those patches.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
PointMan -

I understand, which is why I made my comment about 3 gunners last page, but I also realize that not ONLY 3 gunners tune their rifles to how they want it to run and what they want it to run on.

I also think there are differing definitions and criteria associated with the term "reliable" between shooters, which causes dissension and assumptions when we're all not talking the same scenarios.

What you and I consider reliable may not be the same. On the surface it is - Does the weapon go boom when my booger hook pulls the bang switch? Yes? Does it also get that empty brass casing out everytime? Yes? Ok well does it also pick up another one and chamber it after getting rid of that one? And so on. Like you said, Once we get past those basic "functional" obstacles, we can really delve into the weapon and pick it apart and find the recipe that we're looking for and the application in which we're looking at well.

While I understand the clone world and the desire to have a weapon with the Crane spec'ed gas port, I also see the benefit of having a weapon that is overgassed to cover the wider range of ammunition tolerances and powers. Take the normal SHTF scenario that is played out on here and what we're all prepping for. You have a CQBR which has proven itself when issued M855 and functions flawlessly. Now extend out that time frame of societal collapse, zombies, Commies, etc. and now see what ammunition is going to be available. You just dont know if you're going to get your hands on that M855, and you may only end up with that trashy Tula stuff The vast majority of community commandos protecting their streets arent going to be carrying 3 buffers and 3 springs to figure out if the gun will function or not, so why not cover all scenarios (which you've done)

So there is both sides to the coin, but I am of the mentality that I would rather be a little more overgassed, than not have enough in the system to cover whatever I may need or want. True - there is more wear and tear on the internal component, but are we really going to see those effects and be able to put a quantifiable measure on just how much more badder too much gas is on those components if you have 100% reliability suppressed and unsuppressed across all load options? You and I both know that recoil impulse can be influence by much more than the gas port. BCG weight, buffer weight, spring weight, rifle weight, forward weight/ balance of the weapon, barrel weight, accessories, grip stance, shooting position, etc. All of those affect that "felt" impulse.

BTW, I need to get one of those patches.

View Quote

Well said
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We don't refuse to release it. In fact here you go: The 10.3" carbine Hanson uses a .076 gas port.

The Hanson barrel is a proprietary profile. I hope you can understand our reservation to just freely give out the information surrounding the profile, as it is possible that given enough small bits of information, people can fill in the gaps and reverse engineer. We have decided that giving out the gas port size would not be enough information to be detrimental to our design, but is valuable information the consumer can use.

There are already others out there that are trying to replicate the Hanson, so far none have succeeded, and we will do our best to keep it that way. I'm sorry if we came off pretentious initially, but we must preserve what makes the Ballistic Advantage Hanson stand apart.

-Tony @ BA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do you refuse to publish the BA Hanson Barrel gas port sizes?

We don't refuse to release it. In fact here you go: The 10.3" carbine Hanson uses a .076 gas port.

The Hanson barrel is a proprietary profile. I hope you can understand our reservation to just freely give out the information surrounding the profile, as it is possible that given enough small bits of information, people can fill in the gaps and reverse engineer. We have decided that giving out the gas port size would not be enough information to be detrimental to our design, but is valuable information the consumer can use.

There are already others out there that are trying to replicate the Hanson, so far none have succeeded, and we will do our best to keep it that way. I'm sorry if we came off pretentious initially, but we must preserve what makes the Ballistic Advantage Hanson stand apart.

-Tony @ BA

I can understand what your saying and can appreciate discretion to a certain extent. Thank you for filling in the blanks here, so we can make better decisions as buyers of your industries products!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Update:

KAK Industries 11" bbl with carbine gas is .084 - .086"
Mega Arms 10.5" bbl with carbine gas is .080"
Green Mountain 10.5" bbl carbine gas is .087"
Anderson 10.5" bbl carbine gas is .086"
Ballistic Advantage 11.5" bbl carbine gas is .073"
Ballistic Advantage 10.3" Hanson bbl carbine gas is .076"
Ballistic Advantage 10.5" bbl carbine gas is .078"
Aero Precision 10.5" bbl carbine gas .0785"
Faxon 10.5" Gov't/Socom bbl with carbine gas is .080"
Faxon 11.5" Big GUNNER bbl with mid-length gas is .110"
LMT 10.5" bbl with carbine gas Crane spec'd at .072"
PSA 10.5" bbl with carbine gas is .081" - .089"
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd rather have a slightly 'over gassed' barrel that will run shitty ammo when dirty, then an under gassed gun that can only shoot certain ammo without changing parts around.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:23:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd rather have a slightly 'over gassed' barrel that will run shitty ammo when dirty, then an under gassed gun that can only shoot certain ammo without changing parts around.
View Quote

I'm thinking that's probably the way to go!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:54:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why not have both?
Mini govnah style.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Update:

View Quote

Thanks for updating this, I've had a death in the family and haven't been around. Now if we can get PSA to provide their gas port size (.081 - .089" ???) - the last email I got from them said it was proprietary.

BTW, thank you Ballistic Advantage for providing the info on the Hanson barrel - it really goes a long way for those of us who want to make informed purchases and towards customer relations. I also doubt the info will escape this website (or this thread for that matter).

I ended up buying the Aero Precision barrel (10.5" bbl carbine gas .0785") a week or so ago, I'll post what I think once I get it all assembled and shoot it. I would have bought the BA 10.5" bbl but they were sold out. I should also note it is getting a SLR .750 set screw adjustable gas block installed, along with my 7.5" build. These gas blocks are pricey but worth the money. I was looking for a couple Syrac's but I don't think there is one on this planet for sale. I just finished a 12.5" FDE/OD Green build (inspired by the XM177) and it works great - just a little thump when fired (KAK 12.5" bbl with 4.3" pinned flash hider). Magpul OD Green CTR stock, MOE plus grip and rail covers, AIM NiB BCG, DS Arms Ni Teflon charging handle, MI quad rail handguard. Spikes upper/lower and lower parts kit. Waffling between the quad rail or a standard GI carbine handguard in OD Green. Not a great picture...

</a>" />
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Beautiful Rifle Russ48
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Beautiful Rifle Russ48
View Quote

Thanks! This is my new retirement hobby (building AR's). Of course, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do when I have 15 - 20 of them (I have four with another on the way now). A friend suggested I give them away for Christmas presents... On the other hand if Clinton gets elected my hobby will likely end abruptly.

This carbine is a little overgassed - I'm installing a Wolff extra strength buffer spring and an H2 buffer and see how it goes from there. It has an M16 BCG.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks! This is my new retirement hobby (building AR's). Of course, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do when I have 15 - 20 of them (I have four with another on the way now). A friend suggested I give them away for Christmas presents... On the other hand if Clinton gets elected my hobby will likely end abruptly.

This carbine is a little overgassed - I'm installing a Wolff extra strength buffer spring and an H2 buffer and see how it goes from there. It has an M16 BCG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beautiful Rifle Russ48

Could I suggest a RCA Adjustable Gas Key, they are a pretty easy way to tune your gas. Or just snag the carrier and call it a day. Jeff is a great guy over there! They even have a low mass & titanium option.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:35:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Could I suggest a RCA Adjustable Gas Key, they are a pretty easy way to tune your gas. Or just snag the carrier and call it a day. Jeff is a great guy over there! They even have a low mass & titanium option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beautiful Rifle Russ48

WOW! I'm surprised to discover I've never heard of this! Just ordered one (Brownells) along with a NiB stripped BCG and a complete NiB bolt. The reviews were quite good on this product (rubber city armory adjustable gas key) so I'm pretty excited! I went with NiB BCG components as I suspect things will get a bit dirty in there. Thank you!

On a side note, I measured my Aero Precision 10.5" barrel to see if it was actually .0785" as they claimed - it is (I was able to measure it to about .078"). Just wish it was a little smaller.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:06:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks all for responding to this thread, I hope to keep collecting this data for everyone to use!
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:10:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Test.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

WOW! I'm surprised to discover I've never heard of this! Just ordered one (Brownells) along with a NiB stripped BCG and a complete NiB bolt. The reviews were quite good on this product (rubber city armory adjustable gas key) so I'm pretty excited! I went with NiB BCG components as I suspect things will get a bit dirty in there. Thank you!

On a side note, I measured my Aero Precision 10.5" barrel to see if it was actually .0785" as they claimed - it is (I was able to measure it to about .078"). Just wish it was a little smaller.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beautiful Rifle Russ48

Awesome! I'm so excited for you to try it out (RCA AGK). The BlackNitride+ treatment that RCA uses is really amazing along with their extra machining touches, you will probably be happier with it than the NiB or at least equally as happy! Please let us know what you think after you get some range time with it. I will have my review of their titanium complete BCG w/AGK up soon!
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Update:

View Quote
I posted the Crane spec earlier in this thread and it is not .072. It is .070, which is also the size Colt uses in their 10.3 barrels.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Update:

LMT 10.5" bbl with carbine gas is .072"

Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beautiful Rifle Russ48

Just posted the first part of my review here!

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I posted the Crane spec earlier in this thread and it is not .072. It is .070, which is also the size Colt uses in their 10.3 barrels.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update:

This is how it should read.

Updated update to the update:

LMT 10.5" bbl with carbine gas Crane spec'd at .070"

Thank you!

I used his crane spec'd info, just misquoted him (sorry).
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thank you!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update:

Thank you!

let's get some more on here. Anyone have any FN bbls?
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beautiful Rifle Russ48

Just posted the second part of my review on the RCA Titanium BCG w/AGK!
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Updated:

Integrity Arms 10.5" bbl with carbine gas is .085"
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#25]
My DD's were horribly over gassed.

12" FN CHF was perfect.

10.5/11.5/12.5/14.5 ballistic advantage barrels have all been excellent. Suppressed and unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey everyone if your looking to snag up a low mass carrier, head over to www.rubbercityarmory.com and enter IWANTLOWMASS for the coupon code and get $50 OFF any Titanium Carrier or Titanium Complete BCG!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top