Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/15/2016 4:30:12 PM EDT
For you guys who has both or have knowledge of both rifles, can you tell me what the bad points of a Smith&Wesson  M-15/M4 vs a Colt 6920?

They are both in my price range. I find myself wanting several different items before the New Year (in case we loose our rights).

So, I'm wondering about S&W vs Colt.....

What are the good and the bad between these rifles?

I already have one Colt 6920, which I changed the furniture to DD overmold and BCM charging handle; now it's perfect for me (except I want the Giessele trigger too). I want another AR. I don't wanta go high because as one member here stated "it's like a Chevy truck, you get a solid base truck with a Chevy which you can build upon, whereas get a GMC with chrome and cup holders, still the solid platform, but", you get the picture.

If I stay on a budget, I can get more mags which will go alongside the AR and maybe another high mag capacity shotgun.

PLEASE, share your thoughts regards the two rifles. S&W vs Colt 6920.....I greatly appreciate it.

Tim
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I would get the 6920. Better overall rifle IMO
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Colt
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#4]

The only negative I can think of for the S&W is the 1/9 twist.  And that's not even a negative, imo.
 The fit and finish of the S&W is going to be very good.  S&W is a great company - support them.
I'm not saying the S&W is better than the Colt.  But I'd rather buy the S&W (or Ruger) AND a case of good ammo for the price of the Colt (give or take a few $$).  

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Colt.

Can we do a poll on stuff like this?
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a Smith when Stag was making em and it was a real good rifle.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#7]
why don't you get something different?  It's not gonna serve a purpose to you, why not build one?

get an 18" or build a lightweight rifle
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh larue.... yes, partial fanboy talking.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Colt.

Can we do a poll on stuff like this?
View Quote

Yes, thanks for idea....I added a poll up top.
Thaks again.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Honestly, if you decide to sell it during a ban (in a scenario where our stuff has been grandfathered in) I feel like you'll get more mileage out of a Colt than you would some of the others.

I may be wrong but, it's my money to be wrong with.

My suggestion, if you are considering a 6920, is going and buying an OEM variant.  Its cheaper and you can modify it the way you want in terms of furniture.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Aero Carbine $589
http://www.primaryarms.com/aero-ac-15-complete-rifle/p/apcr100015/

Aero Middy $580
http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/product.aero-ac-15m-mid-length-complete-rifle-61-993
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Honestly, if you decide to sell it during a ban (in a scenario where our stuff has been grandfathered in) I feel like you'll get more mileage out of a Colt than you would some of the others.

I may be wrong but, it's my money to be wrong with.

My suggestion, if you are considering a 6920, is going and buying an OEM variant.  Its cheaper and you can modify it the way you want in terms of furniture.
View Quote

Yes, I understand the no furniture on either OEM model. The CE 2000 give you forward assist and dust cover. . But, with the OEM, you get the 4170 CMV barrel; NON-chrome lined......

With the 6920 you get the heavy chrome lined barrel. I was readng through the volumes/pages of the high round count AR thread, and he indicated the Colt chrome lined barrels and their BCG's were among the best bang four your buck .

I know  I will never shoot as much as the business this guy does, but, I want the quality for the best price, soooo, looks like the 6920 is the best ang for the buck.

The furniture, is not bad price (I like the Daniel overmold in grey-called tornado) but, the rear sight presents a problem......even the cheap fixed danile rear sights are over 70 bucks, I paid close to 90 bucks shipped.

So, getting the 6920 already has the rear MBUIS installed + chorme lined barrel. Seems like I come out ahead going 6920.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#13]
LE6920  v. OEM 6920

The one with the front sight is the same as the one with the low profile gas block.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Colt is not the best. The mil generally doesn't buy the best anything.

DD or BCM
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

DD or BCM
View Quote

OP said DD was pushing his budget, safe to assume BCM would too.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
LE6920  v. OEM 6920

The one with the front sight is the same as the one with the low profile gas block.

View Quote

Dam, it says the OEM2 has the chrome lined barrel. I know OEM1 has the front A2 style front sight. The MBUS sight. So, I was reading (somewhere-been on Colt's website as well) that the OEM did NOT have a chrome lined barrel......

Looks like back to considering OEM or CE2000. Maybe I'm confusing the CE 2000 barrels??? I know I read that one was NON chrome lined???
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

DD or BCM
View Quote

Yes, agree. The best thing they bought along these lines are them dang's ole ACOG's by Trijicon. Dang things take a beating and keep on goin on.....But, I know the Colt is good enough where it didn;t fail to go bang when i needed it to most and I'm sitting here typing on this keyboard because it DID go bang.

But, yes, I would LOVE to have Daniel instaed. But, my budget says get that one thing, or get another Colt and maybe another tactical shotgun (with high capacity mag-have the mossy 590 tactical now-wouldn't mind a Remington tactical too).
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Dam, it says the OEM2 has the chrome lined barrel. I know OEM1 has the front A2 style front sight. The MBUS sight. So, I was reading (somewhere-been on Colt's website as well) that the OEM did NOT have a chrome lined barrel......

Looks like back to considering OEM or CE2000. Maybe I'm confusing the CE 2000 barrels??? I know I read that one was NON chrome lined???
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LE6920  v. OEM 6920

The Colt Expanse does not have a chrome lined barrel. Colt Expanse
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

DD or BCM
View Quote

lol at putting BCM when you post what you posted.  In BCM's words, 'we aim to be Colt like'

OP, for what you want, you are better off with the Colt.  If you go higher in budget, the DD

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

DD or BCM
View Quote

Nobody is claiming otherwise. It's the best bang for the buck when balancing quality, resale, and price though. If he wanted the best he'd buy a KAC.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The only negative I can think of for the S&W is the 1/9 twist.  And that's not even a negative, imo.
 The fit and finish of the S&W is going to be very good.  S&W is a great company - support them.
I'm not saying the S&W is better than the Colt.  But I'd rather buy the S&W (or Ruger) AND a case of good ammo for the price of the Colt (give or take a few $$).  

View Quote

There are many different S&W M&P 15 models.  Take a hard look at the Mid MOE Magpul version. Usually sold at about $950.  Has the incredible 5R rifled 1:8 4150 CMV nitride mid length gas port barrel in addition to a nice set of Magpul furniture.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a Smith M&P-15 and it's a damn fine budget AR that just keeps running and running.

That being said, if it's one or the other, I'd agree and go with a Colt.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#23]

The 6920 OEM models are listed as having a chrome lined barrel (see the link elsewhere in this thread).

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#25]
For the money go with the 6920.

DD is very nice, for the price difference between the Colt you can put toward a nice optic like an Aimpoint.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So the 6920 OEM 1 & 2 models do NOT have a chrome lined barrel? First I had heard of that, if it's true, but don't know that it is.

Any info on that for sure, either way?

View Quote

The 6920 OEM models have the same barrel as the normal 6920 series, the only difference is the lack of furniture expect the pistol grip.

I have a 3rd option if the OP is wanting something better than a S&W but the same specs as a 6920.

http://grabagun.com/spike-s-tactical-556nato-m4-le-16-carb-30rd.html

Looks to be $200 dollars cheaper than a ''stock'' 6920, and a bit more than the OEM-1. The advantage is it would come with basic M-4 type furniture so the OP could "dress" it as funds allow
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#27]
The poll results show the Colt by a WIDE margin considering all platforms listed on the poll.

Well, I just placed a order for aother Colt. I had promised myself that daniel would be my next (second) AR. But, while I could buy the Daniel Defense, my funds are not unlimited. And I want to get other things such as another high mag capacity 12ga and a lot MORE AR MAGS-by reading the high round count AR thread, I'm sold on the aluminum USGI mag. I don't remember those giving me any trouble when I was in the service either. Now, it seems I'm under a time line since politics are major factor here; we may loose our rights to get AR's, mags and high mag capacity shotguns.

So now, after this Colt purchase, my focus will be start buying up more mags and ammo, and I do want to finish out my Glock collection and get more of their mags too. Maybe santa will bring me a new 12ga to go along with my Mossy 590 Tactical as well.

So, now I'm the proud owner of two Colt 6920's. I would like a 7.62 as well. Dam, this stuff is a disease. Is there a pill to make a guy not want this stuff?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The poll results show the Colt by a WIDE margin considering all platforms listed on the poll.

Well, I just placed a order for aother Colt. I had promised myself that daniel would be my next (second) AR. But, while I could buy the Daniel Defense, my funds are not unlimited. And I want to get other things such as another high mag capacity 12ga and a lot MORE AR MAGS-by reading the high round count AR thread, I'm sold on the aluminum USGI mag. I don't remember those giving me any trouble when I was in the service either. Now, it seems I'm under a time line since politics are major factor here; we may loose our rights to get AR's, mags and high mag capacity shotguns.

So now, after this Colt purchase, my focus will be start buying up more mags and ammo, and I do want to finish out my Glock collection and get more of their mags too. Maybe santa will bring me a new 12ga to go along with my Mossy 590 Tactical as well.

So, now I'm the proud owner of two Colt 6920's. I would like a 7.62 as well. Dam, this stuff is a disease. Is there a pill to make a guy not want this stuff?
View Quote

Nope.  Give in to the addiction.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#29]
If I'm not building an AR then I'm buying either a budget (Colt 6720 or 6920) rifle or a premium (KAC SR15E3 Mod1) rifle.  Not really interested in much else in between.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good to see you got the Colt. My suggestion, if possible after the election, is start building your own. I did that after I got my 1st 6920 (I owned a Bushmaster also at the time) and learned for the same money as a Colt I could build a better rifle.

My "best" build, BCM/Spikes/PSA combo I did right before Newtown 2012 (I finished it that day) 16" CHF upper. I'd say without the scope I spent about the same as my 1st 6920 (I have 2 now).
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#31]
The colt is better. If you can swing it, that BCM Recce is really hard to beat in value.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Colt is always top shelf for resale.   Bushmaster shouldn't even be on the list.  Daniel Defense,  BCM  and Spikes are all up there on the list for quality and longevity.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

DD or BCM
View Quote

Not say that DD or BCM aren't good but you should read this thread
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/677135_High_round_count_AR_M4_s__over_100_000_rounds__and_how_they_have_handled_on_our_range.html I will never shoot as many rounds through my colt as Henderson Defense but time and heavy usage is the real test of how good a firearm can be. Colt continues to rise above the naysayers doubts and all the other brands of ARs. That's what sold me on Colt. Glad to see you made a wise and informed purchase.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#34]
LMT
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
LMT
View Quote

One of my favorite brands but you end up changing the handguard, trigger at least. Makes it a 1700 purchase
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/677135_High_round_count_AR_M4_s__over_100_000_rounds__and_how_they_have_handled_on_our_range.html I will never shoot as many rounds through my colt as Henderson Defense but time and heavy usage is the real test of how good a firearm can be. Colt continues to rise above the naysayers doubts and all the other brands of ARs. That's what sold me on Colt. Glad to see you made a wise and informed purchase.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DD or BCM

I did read it. It did surprise me too. The best bang for the buck. I can spend more for the same longevity, so why? I'm sticking to Colt as the "bones" but using Daniel and BCM parts to modify it to my liking. Giessele triggers will come too.

I like the Daniel "Tornado" furniture and I like the BCM charging handles. I did that with my first one. It will be done to this new one too. After I finish buying up ammo and mags, and a couple 'more' Glocks and more of their mags, I'm moving into glass. The crooked politicians should leave that alone. I'm gonna have a ACOG on one, and regular sights and maybe a RMR on the second one.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

One of my favorite brands but you end up changing the handguard, trigger at least. Makes it a 1700 purchase
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LMT

You used to be able to pay $300 for the lower and about $450 for the upper with BCG
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#38]
I priced a 14.5 basic upper at my local LMT dealer for 650 a little while ago and I'm sure you can get lowers for 300, non sopmod.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:10:20 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't see LMT on your list.
I own more Colt's than LMT, but LMT is probably my favorite.

I don't own a Larue gun of any sort (Only Colt, LMT, DD, Noveske)
But if I had to choose from your list, I would choose Larue. (I do own Larue optic mounts )
Larue makes extremely high end gun, and if you ever break anything, they will be impressed, amazed, and then gladly replace it.
They will probably give you some extra free shit for your hassle.  Mark Larue is the man.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:44:01 AM EDT
[#40]
I need to check out LMT. I did order the Colt 6920 already.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:30:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I need to check out LMT. I did order the Colt 6920 already.
View Quote

They don't offer anything revelatory.  They probably have the best standard carbine, no frills, on the market, but for $200 less, give me a free float BCM with 15" rail please.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:36:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Should have bought the Smith and used the rest for ammo. If they can't get the guns they will go after the ammo. In fact the way things are going I'm buying spare parts for my rifles and I'm loading up on mags and especially ammo.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Poll looks like Colt bt a WIDE margin.....
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Years ago I was in the same predicament.  I was looking at a colt 6920 or a S&W magpul edition with the 1/8 5r barrel. I kept going back and forth but luckily my gun shop owner had a range day and let me shoot both before purchasing. I ended up with the S&W. It was tighter grouping with multiple bulk kinds of typical bulk ammo. BUT since you already have a colt I would suggest a more precision free floated spr kind of rifle.  The colt is a work horse. Can't be denied.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

DD or BCM
View Quote

Loll, and true.

Per FEDLOG the .Gov price of each M4 is USD459.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Colt
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

PLEASE, share your thoughts regards the two rifles. S&W vs Colt 6920.....I greatly appreciate it.

Tim
View Quote

If the price on the 6920 isn't a problem and you're happy with the one you have, then by all means get a second one.

Better to get a 6920 and equip it properly (light, maybe an optic) than pay more and end up with a barebones LaRue/DD/BCM if your purpose is having a spare basic carbine.   With those more expensive platforms, you're paying more for rails, mid gas, etc, and I'd call those "wants" instead of "needs".

If you are looking to have a pair of good rifle setups, then I'd skip getting another shotgun and spend the time, money, and ammo to put a basic Aimpoint on that second rifle and zero it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top