BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 115
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:36:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bones360] [#1]
Too much factory color, blast that sucker with sum rustoleum!

*accept the fde leupy, leave that. I think they look so good
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
That's about the perfect pair, but I fully expected a urx4.  You brought a proper chick to the dance, I'm half disappointed, only half.

Right-click save
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By chenault:

That's about the perfect pair, but I fully expected a urx4.  You brought a proper chick to the dance, I'm half disappointed, only half.

Right-click save
View Quote
Who said I was done yet....?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#4]
ya'll cost me moneys. again. 

Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:22:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
ya'll cost me moneys. again. 

https://s18.postimg.org/6vev7zijt/20170627_143508.jpg
View Quote
I bet I can guess what that is---Dry rub?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#6]

I bet I can guess what that is---Dry rub?
View Quote
it was an Lt-104 but my rifle didnt approve of it and the RECCE is actually back on and holding zero. #notmadjustsayin
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:35:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#7]
d tapp whoops. 
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#8]

it was an Lt-104 but my rifle didnt approve of it and the RECCE is actually back on and holding zero. #notmadjustsayin
View Quote
Figured since they were on sale.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quick question.. what's the correct QD sling mount?
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Most of my parts came in for my H build, fabbed it up real quick. Waiting on my rings, the TRR rail, and mid length gas tube and will put it all together. On the fence if I want to swap the SOPMOD for the ACE stock or not. Probably going to repaint it as well. Still on the hunt for a used Harris bipod to finish it off.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#11]
mom makin hits @ 300 400 and 600.....like a pro!

Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:32:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I really like the ace stock but I'm striking out at finding one at a decent price. I know cloning isn't cheap but I just can't pay $500+ for a stock. Is it possible to scoop up an earlier gen for a decent price? If I used a gen 4 would I be berated?
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:20:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mattn03:
I really like the ace stock but I'm striking out at finding one at a decent price. I know cloning isn't cheap but I just can't pay $500+ for a stock. Is it possible to scoop up an earlier gen for a decent price? If I used a gen 4 would I be berated?
View Quote
dont use a gen 4. dont. 

i have mine and i dont know if i wanna sell it or not...but i also want a pelican case..and new foam to do it right. even knowong my jen 1 is legit and all i still couldnt sell it for more than like 300 bucks because im not a prick enough to do that to someone. its super neat to have tho....but i think im sticking with an M4 tube for the SOPMOD and an ACS. 
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 1:15:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Can I call dibs on yours then? ;)
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#15]

dont use a gen 4. dont. 

i have mine and i dont know if i wanna sell it or not...but i also want a pelican case..and new foam to do it right. even knowong my jen 1 is legit and all i still couldnt sell it for more than like 300 bucks because im not a prick enough to do that to someone. its super neat to have tho....but i think im sticking with an M4 tube for the SOPMOD and an ACS. 
View Quote
Is the Gen 4 junk or just don't because its not "clone" correct?
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By INFIDELSF85:

The Gen 4 is not "clone" correct
View Quote
correct :)
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#17]

dont use a gen 4. dont. 

View Quote
Wait and keep an eye on over stock. They were blowing pelicans out for half off.
I'm gonna be snagging an fde one here soon for my recce and cqbr.
If I see anything good I'll let you know asap :)
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm a big fan of this barrel.  I just got a new one to replace my cle when it finally goes tits up
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:
The Bison Armory barrel gets ignored quite a bit but it's the SPR profile instead of BA's lightweight profile and people have had a little better accuracy luck with it. Also around the same price as a BA barrel.
I'm a big fan of this barrel.  I just got a new one to replace my cle when it finally goes tits up
Yea I've also noticed that it does seem to get left out when discussing mod h barrels.
I'm verry pleased with mine. Shoots great. And it is the correct  heavier profile
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By jonnychimpo:
Quick question.. what's the correct QD sling mount?
View Quote
CQD I believe
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#21]
 That's a nice pair!
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Are those arms low rings on the holland there?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

That's a nice pair!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

That's a nice pair!
Thanks bud, two of my favorites

Originally Posted By Wichert187:

Are those arms low rings on the holland there?
They are low rings. I went back and forth between mediums and lows on the recce rail and decided on the lows. Clearance with the 3.5-10 can be tricky but it's doable.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

A Marine buddy of mine on the H. This sucker is finally starting to clean up. I've got plans for an ammo analysis on it, I'll put up detailed posts before and after, with results. The short of it is that, since this Douglas barrel seems to be "broken or breaking in" now that I'm about 390 rounds in and seems to be producing awesome groups, I want to see how some other factory offerings with 77 gr SMK's compare to BH Mk 262 and home rolled loads. I'll shoot four 5-round groups each of:

Factory
-Federal Gold Medal .223 77 gr
-Razorcore IMI 5.56 77 gr
-PMC Match .223 77 gr
-Fiocchi Match .223 77 gr
-BH factory new 5.56 77 gr (red box Mk 262)

Hand loads
-77 gr SMK's in once fired Wolf Gold .223 brass
-77 gr SMK's in once fired LC '15 5.56 brass (came from BH Mk 262)
These will be loaded with XBR 8028 and CCI primers, I'll give specifics after they're loaded.

And, because I'm curious, I threw in a few 69 gr SMK loads. I did this mainly because I've never tried them and have heard a few people claim that they've shot better groups with 69 gr SMK's than 77's (at 100-200 yards).
-Razorcore IMI 5.56 69 gr
-Fiocchi Match .223 69 gr

My purpose here is simple. When I first built the rifle, about 100 rounds in, I attempted to do the MOA all day challenge with it (with Mk 262) and it just wouldn't close up enough to be "MOA All Day Bitches!" See the image below. Weather was a factor (somewhere between 5 and 10 deg F) and I guess it just wasn't broken in. I think it's shooting sub-MOA at this point, but not with Mk 262. I want to explore other, affordable options (Federal GM being the costliest ammo at $1.25/round, all others range from $1.60-2.00/round) that still use the Sierra Match King, and whether or not handloading will do me any better (obviously it's the most affordable).

Attachment Attached File

All groups will be done on the same day, early in the morning before it gets blazing hot. I'll be shooting prone from bags. I might let my wife shoot the 4th group of each ammo type. If so, her group will not be considered as part of the results (nothing wrong with her shooting, but I do regularly out-shoot her and I don't want to introduce too many variables).

Rifle specs:
-Colt 6920 as the basis (new, never fired prior to being built into a Holland)
-HCS Douglas 16" 1/7 barrel
-Geissele SSA
-Leupold Mk 4 LR/T Mildot M3 knobs
All other specs as typical for the build

I know others have done similar tests so anyone with a comment or suggestion, please chime in
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Will816:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/213943/IMG-2068-247578.JPG

A Marine buddy of mine on the H. This sucker is finally starting to clean up. I've got plans for an ammo analysis on it, I'll put up detailed posts before and after, with results. The short of it is that, since this Douglas barrel seems to be "broken or breaking in" now that I'm about 390 rounds in and seems to be producing awesome groups, I want to see how some other factory offerings with 77 gr SMK's compare to BH Mk 262 and home rolled loads. I'll shoot four 5-round groups each of:

Factory
-Federal Gold Medal .223 77 gr
-Razorcore IMI 5.56 77 gr
-PMC Match .223 77 gr
-Fiocchi Match .223 77 gr
-BH factory new 5.56 77 gr (red box Mk 262)

Hand loads
-77 gr SMK's in once fired Wolf Gold .223 brass
-77 gr SMK's in once fired LC '15 5.56 brass (came from BH Mk 262)
These will be loaded with XBR 8028 and CCI primers, I'll give specifics after they're loaded.

And, because I'm curious, I threw in a few 69 gr SMK loads. I did this mainly because I've never tried them and have heard a few people claim that they've shot better groups with 69 gr SMK's than 77's (at 100-200 yards).
-Razorcore IMI 5.56 69 gr
-Fiocchi Match .223 69 gr

My purpose here is simple. When I first built the rifle, about 100 rounds in, I attempted to do the MOA all day challenge with it (with Mk 262) and it just wouldn't close up enough to be "MOA All Day Bitches!" See the image below. Weather was a factor (somewhere between 5 and 10 deg F) and I guess it just wasn't broken in. I think it's shooting sub-MOA at this point, but not with Mk 262. I want to explore other, affordable options (Federal GM being the costliest ammo at $1.25/round, all others range from $1.60-2.00/round) that still use the Sierra Match King, and whether or not handloading will do me any better (obviously it's the most affordable).

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/213943/IMG-1394-247596.JPG

All groups will be done on the same day, early in the morning before it gets blazing hot. I'll be shooting prone from bags. I might let my wife shoot the 4th group of each ammo type. If so, her group will not be considered as part of the results (nothing wrong with her shooting, but I do regularly out-shoot her and I don't want to introduce too many variables).

Rifle specs:
-Colt 6920 as the basis (new, never fired prior to being built into a Holland)
-HCS Douglas 16" 1/7 barrel
-Geissele SSA
-Leupold Mk 4 LR/T Mildot M3 knobs
All other specs as typical for the build

I know others have done similar tests so anyone with a comment or suggestion, please chime in
View Quote
Outstanding!  Looking forward to the results.  23.2 gr 8208 has been my go to load for awhile now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Outstanding!  Looking forward to the results.  23.2 gr 8208 has been my go to load for awhile now.
View Quote
I use that same load as a baseline with 77's.

I shoot more 69's than anything else due to the short ranges around me, and most of my rifles end up right around 23.4 gr. of 8208 with good results.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:41:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#27]

View Quote
mine for 2 years as well. gets tmk to 1k too. aboi 2680fps iirc. not crazy fast but it works

$1/rnd....yall need to roll your own! 

$60 in bullets
$30 lb powder
$15 in primers

gets me 300rnds. thats $105 for 300rnds of 77gr or 75gr otm. TMK is $105 instead of $60 for bullets. thats $150 for 300rnds. that is $63/50 from BH to buy retail. FUCK THAT noise! :D
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#28]
mine for 2 years as well. gets tmk to 1k too. aboi 2680fps iirc. not crazy fast but it works

$60 in bullets
$30 lb powder
$15 in primers

gets me 300rnds. thats $105 for 300rnds of 77gr or 75gr otm. TMK is $105 instead of $60 for bullets. thats $150 for 300rnds. that is $63/50 from BH to buy retail. FUCK THAT noise! :D
View Quote
Yeah... We're about to build a house (mostly ourselves) and starting a business and I'm trying to knock her up so we have additional labor on hand. Also full time jobs, and I travel a lot. Not to mention, hunting season is coming up that pretty much kills my spare time from mid-August to November.

I wish I had time to reload

Well, I do, but it's not in any type of significant volume.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#29]

$60 in bullets
$30 lb powder
$15 in primers

View Quote
What kind of primers you guys using?  I have a lot of brass and powder and nosler 77s and regular CCI rifle primers.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#30]
CCI BR-4 primers. 

i shoot about 200rnds a month so its worth it to me lol. 
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By deuc224:

What kind of primers you guys using?  I have a lot of brass and powder and nosler 77s and regular CCI rifle primers.
View Quote
Honestly, any decent small rifle primer will work fine.  Sure, the federal gold medal and cci BR series are made with stricter standards, and probably do yield noticeably better accuracy for benchrest/competitive shooters.

Average bear though, probably isn't gonna notice much if any.

So shoot what you can get your hands on.  If that's the BR/GM stuff, by all means.  But don't fret if you don't see them; the "regular" ones work just fine.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:
Honestly, any decent small rifle primer will work fine.  Sure, the federal gold medal and cci BR series are made with stricter standards, and probably do yield noticeably better accuracy for benchrest/competitive shooters.

So shoot what you can get your hands on.  If that's the BR/GM stuff, by all means.  But don't fret if you don't see them; the "regular" ones work just fine.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By deuc224:

The reloads I mentioned above will use CCI 400 primers
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Will816:

The reloads I mentioned above will use CCI 400 primers
View Quote
You'll be fine.  I think that's the majority of my small rifle primer stack at the moment.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#34]

You'll be fine.  I think that's the majority of my small rifle primer stack at the moment.
View Quote
I've tried just about all the primers and just can't tell much of a difference.  In reality there are other things to stress about that will most likely have a bigger impact.  Neck tension, pocket uniformity, projectile weight, bullet jump, brass consistency &a weight etc.  

Those are all nitpicky things and may not be worth it to most people to do those things.  For me I do those for my creedmore but not my 5.56/223 guns.  Then again my creedmoor is a custom built gun so it deserves those kinds of pills
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 4:01:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#35]
400s got me inch to 3/4moa. 

br4 got me 3/4 to 1/2 or even .4moa for 3 shots. i wont go back to 400s except to blast. i prolly shoot more than most and at 600 to 1k yds often, i need all i can get for help. the Mk12 is seriously sub moa accurate! 

YMMV tho!
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#36]
400s got me inch to 3/4moa. 

br4 got me 3/4 to 1/2 or even .4moa for 3 shots. i wont go back to 400s except to blast. i prolly shoot more than most and at 600 to 1k yds often, i need all i can get for help. the Mk12 is seriously sub moa accurate! 

YMMV tho!
View Quote
If that's the case I'll see if I have some BR4's around. We don't have any place within an hour and a half drive that carries a good reloading selection so if my dad or I don't have any, it'll have to wait until the next time we do a supply run. This testing is going to be short range but I can shoot as far as I want and I'm ultimately looking for a good 500-600 yard load
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By sommere54:

I shoot more 69's than anything else due to the short ranges around me, and most of my rifles end up right around 23.4 gr. of 8208 with good results.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sommere54:

Im newish to reloading and have been using CFE223 for my 77 gr loads. Do you guys prefer the 8208 over CFE223, H335, and Varget ? Ive been partial to the H335 and CFE because they are ball powders and I dont want to risk my charges being off. Any input would be great!
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:31:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I like 8208 for the temp stability and its not long extruded, its short extruded which flows a little better plus its pretty consistent.  All around great powder.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:56:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chenault] [#39]
Originally Posted By iluvmy86:

Im newish to reloading and have been using CFE223 for my 77 gr loads. Do you guys prefer the 8208 over CFE223, H335, and Varget ? Ive been partial to the H335 and CFE because they are ball powders and I dont want to risk my charges being off. Any input would be great!
View Quote
Buy a 1lb and see if it's more accurate.  

As far as being off you are weighing it so I'm not sure how you could be off

I switched from varget to 8208, I won't be going back.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 12:34:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By iluvmy86:

View Quote
I use it for the claimed temperature stability. My shooting through the year has about a 100 degree swing. I shot in 5 degree temps in December and last weekend it was about 102 while we were out. I noticed some factory loads, even the BH Mk 262, get a little wonky at those low temps and my groups string out vertically. 8208 supposedly is very temp stable, but I haven't directly compared it to other powders on days that makes your pee freeze before it hits the ground.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I've spent ENTIRELY too much time drooling in this thread. Y'all are a bunch of enabling bastages posting pictures of all these beautiful clones.

I finally gave up over the 4th of July sales events and just resigned myself to the fact that I am building a Mod H. Got my FDE PRI tube this week and a new Geissle SSA-E coming to replace my perfectly serviceable, but not clone-correct, Larue trigger. I snapped up a Larue 104 scope mount when they were on sale, and have now ordered 2 separate uppers trying to get a Cerro forge mark. The Atlas bipod shows up this week too.

When the clone bug bites, it bites HARD. Ugh, my poor wallet.

Couple of questions: 1) Is Nodak Spud the only real A1 80% lower option? I'd like to get Braceman to work his magic on a lower for me. Is there any way to mill an 80% A2 lower into an A1? Or just have to get in line to get a Nodak?

2) Trying to nail down which Leupold optic to get. I've had the FDE Leupold from optics planet in and out of my cart a couple times now, but can ever quite pull the trigger. Is there a definitive clone correct 3.5-10x40 Leupold optic for the Holland? I know the M1 knobs aren't kosher, but what about the M2 and M3? Which is the true clone correct option?

After lurking ARFCOM for 11 years, guess I'll have to get my post count up so I can post some photos as this thing comes together.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Gleep:
I've spent ENTIRELY too much time drooling in this thread. Y'all are a bunch of enabling bastages posting pictures of all these beautiful clones.

I finally gave up over the 4th of July sales events and just resigned myself to the fact that I am building a Mod H. Got my FDE PRI tube this week and a new Geissle SSA-E coming to replace my perfectly serviceable, but not clone-correct, Larue trigger. I snapped up a Larue 104 scope mount when they were on sale, and have now ordered 2 separate uppers trying to get a Cerro forge mark. The Atlas bipod shows up this week too.

Couple of questions: 1) Is Nodak Spud the only real A1 80% lower option? I'd like to get Braceman to work his magic on a lower for me. Is there any way to mill an 80% A2 lower into an A1? Or just have to get in line to get a Nodak?

2) Trying to nail down which Leupold optic to get. I've had the FDE Leupold from optics planet in and out of my cart a couple times now, but can ever quite pull the trigger. Is there a definitive clone correct 3.5-10x40 Leupold optic for the Holland? I know the M1 knobs aren't kosher, but what about the M2 and M3? Which is the true clone correct option?

After lurking ARFCOM for 11 years, guess I'll have to get my post count up so I can post some photos as this thing comes together.
View Quote
Yes, Braceman does it all the time for the Retro forum and MK12 guys.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:22:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By 44Echo10:

Yes, Braceman does it all the time for the Retro forum and MK12 guys.
View Quote
Well hallelujah! Mod Holland clone life just got a whole lot simpler.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#44]
at least u started with a holland...... :)

it is super neat. worth it!
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Gleep:

View Quote
Literally me as well. I've had a 6920 sitting unfired in the safe for almost a year now waiting to be built into a mod h. Decided to just go for it. Ordered the can, (buddies an SOT so I'll be shooting it a lot before it's cleared) Leupold mk4 3.5-10 TMR m3, PRI Handguard, BA Barrel, Recce Rail, and Nightforce rings last week. Just a box of parts right now but hoping to build it in the next few days
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Weeeeeeeeeee

Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Weeeeeeeeeee

https://s2.postimg.org/9m2v1xdft/20170713_111802.jpg
View Quote
I think this is the first time I've seen your gun with the suppressor off Blue. Never realized the back half of your can was separate. Is that just a shroud you fabbed up as an Ops Inc disguise? Close up pics?

The new case looks sweet. Mk 12 Mod 0 foam cutouts I'm assuming?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:10:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#48]
yeah..secrets out LOL. Yep its something i whipped up. it secures to the YHM can mount click retention piece. i know its not kosher but its what I got to use right now and it at least assists in the reflex can appearance.

yes its Mod 0 foam pattern and mod 0 early style case. $190 in this setup and im super pleased!
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Where did you find your case? One more thing to add to the list!
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:30:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#50]
Does your upper to lower fit get sloppy from taking apart?  My recce is now and it's annoying.  I tried using a paint pen on the front lug to tighten it up some.  Which did help a little.  I also tried some o rings but I guess I bought one too big because it had an affect on feeding.  

Are you saying you are hitting clay pigeons at 1000??????  

You should be proud of that gun.  And that is really cool your Mom is a shooter.  She's putting most of us on here to shame.  I haven't shot at 600 in a LONG time.  I guess I need to remedy that.  LOL.  

#haveblue83carloshathcockfamilylife

That was the first time I've ever done a hashtag.  So...... take it for what it's worth.  

You needing some new boxes for your reloads?  Did I say I was going to send you one?  LOL.....   Your black hills box must've went caput.
Page / 115
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top