Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/27/2016 8:03:38 PM EDT
PSA sent me the completely wrong order. I ordered a 300 black out side charger and got a 5.56 CHF rifle kit. Lol. No worries, but they're offering me the 5.56 kit for 20% off. Total price of 420.00

It's this kit - http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-m4-freedom-hf-5-56-1-7-nitride-classic-rifle-kit.html

I'd like to keep it. Is there any reason not to? I see the mid length gas system as being more desirable and they have this kit - palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-8-stainless-steel-freedom-rifle-kit.html for the same price as they're offering me the CHF kit.

Seems the only difference between the two is the CHF barrel, and the gas system length.

The 300 I ordered is getting a mid length Wilson Combat barrel and I'm into the 300 much more than I am the 5.56. The 5.56 would likely get assembled and stuck next to a 1k pack of ammo for now.

Anything to help push me one way or the other would help me out!  

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Send back. I just got the 10.5 side charger yesterday. Its nice.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Send back. I just got the 10.5 side charger yesterday. Its nice.
View Quote

Oh... I'm keeping the side charger too. Lol... it's on the way. PSA was pretty cool all things considering.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd keep the kit you have, imo the CHF is much better than the longer gas system with a bargain basement barrel. See if they will let you keep ot for $400 even?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Good info... exactly the type of info I'm looking for. Thx!

Since it was an unexpected package huge weight is given to the fact it's discounted and here. A lot easier to make the decision to buy yet another gun when it's sitting here in my lap.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Since it was an unexpected package huge weight is given to the fact it's discounted and here. A lot easier to make the decision to buy yet another gun when it's sitting here in my lap.

View Quote

i would take the discount and keep it. come november you might be glad you did. in any event i don't think you will have any trouble at all selling it for a small profit if you choose to do so.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#6]
November.... another great point. I've been stocking up on other things but it can't hurt to have a rifle in 5.56 to go along with the high cap 9mm stuff.  Two of the most widely used calibers in the world... i think.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I would keep it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

i would take the discount and keep it. come november you might be glad you did. in any event i don't think you will have any trouble at all selling it for a small profit if you choose to do so.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:09:58 PM EDT
[#9]
CHF nitrided? Is that description correct or a mistake?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:02:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, it's new. It's correct.   That is exactly what I thought until I asked.  Very interesting......

Oh, I'd keep it,
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:27:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Nope, it's new. It's correct.   That is exactly what I thought until I asked.  Very interesting......

Oh, I'd keep it,

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, I'd keep it,

Does that mean it's nitride on inside and outside or just the outside or what? I've always wondered about the barrel coatings and what that entailed.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:53:18 AM EDT
[#12]
That is a good question.  That being said, I have only seen nitride salt bath process being bore and exterior. ex. I have not seen a chrome lined melonite barrel. What the hell do I know? I don't make barrels.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:45:45 AM EDT
[#13]
CHF is "Cold Hammer Forged", not anything to do with chrome liner (I think).  Why would CHF and Nitrate raise eyebrows?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:09:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
]Does that mean it's nitride on inside and outside or just the outside or what? I've always wondered about the barrel coatings and what that entailed.  

cold hammer forgered

not chrome
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd keep it.  Nice rifle, great barrel, and killer price.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
cold hammer forgered

not chrome
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

]Does that mean it's nitride on inside and outside or just the outside or what? I've always wondered about the barrel coatings and what that entailed.  

cold hammer forgered

not chrome
That's the conclusion I came to on this freedom rifle package. The barrel is a CHF, without the Chrome lining.

So, when a barrel is said to be nitride or phosphate, or chf with no chrome. What's the inside of the barrel lined with?

I kept it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I assume someone is getting fired, I doubt we are the only 2 with the wrong orders...

I got 200 rounds of 308 and a charge handle that were supposed to go to Thomas C. in NC

Pisses me off, I ordered an upper, some parts and 2 BCG's
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
November.... another great point. I've been stocking up on other things but it can't hurt to have a rifle in 5.56 to go along with the high cap 9mm stuff.  Two of the most widely used calibers in the world... i think.
View Quote

One nice thing about having a 5.56 and a .300BO is you can take the 5.56 cases, trim and reshape them into .300BO brass if you reload.

For your original question CHF>SS IMO, you don't need chrome lining with nitrided barrels either.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

One nice thing about having a 5.56 and a .300BO is you can take the 5.56 cases, trim and reshape them into .300BO brass if you reload.

For your original question CHF>SS IMO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For your original question CHF>SS IMO

This is true.. but for anyone planning on doing this make sure you buy ammo with GOOD brass to convert to 300blk. When I decided to start reloading I bought 3000 rounds of 556 with brass that I couldn't convert to 300blk lol I was so pissed.

Here's the list of good/bad
http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88599
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That's the conclusion I came to on this freedom rifle package. The barrel is a CHF, without the Chrome lining.    

So, when a barrel is said to be nitride or phosphate, or chf with no chrome. What's the inside of the barrel lined with?

I kept it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

cold hammer forgered

not chrome

I kept it.

It's not lined. Nitride is a metal treatment that essentially hardens the steel which is, in effect, like chrome lining. Property done, the nitride barrel will last as long as a chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's not lined. Nitride is a metal treatment that essentially hardens the steel which is, in effect, like chrome lining. Property done, the nitride barrel will last as long as a chrome lined barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

cold hammer forgered

not chrome

I kept it.

I have read longer.

I have one of each and doubt I will wear out either of them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:57:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I really gotta stop buying guns. Having a CHF barrel with complete kit drop in my lap by 'accident' is just un-be-liev-able
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top