Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/27/2016 6:31:29 PM EDT
Recently installed a mil-spec PSA trigger out of a lower parts kit. The only thing I can compare it to is a Rise Armament single stage trigger (about 100.00). There really isn't much difference as far as I can tell.

I put the trigger gauge on it and the mil-spec it just over a pound heavier @ 5lbs 4oz.

So I have to wonder, is the PSA enhanced polished trigger control group worth it?

Could I simply polish certain parts of the Mil-spec trigger to get the same result?

At this point I'm really wondering why I should spend 100+ on a premium single stage trigger. Certainly I am missing something... or ?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#1]
A few months back I purchased 3 PSA EPT's. I have installed 1of them and would say it's slightly smoother than mil spec. I will say that I have 2 BCM PNT's that I feel a definite improvement over mil spec.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had numerous psa milspec triggers from their lpks. I bought one with the ept and it was absolutely amazing for a standard (plated milspec) trigger. It had no creep, no over travel and a great reset. I bought another for a 300blk pistol and it was even better. I used them with JP 4.5 springs which run about 10.00
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A few months back I purchased 3 PSA EPT's. I have installed 1of them and would say it's slightly smoother than mil spec. I will say that I have 2 BCM PNT's that I feel a definite improvement over mil spec.
View Quote

I like their EPTs. Smoother than a milspec. A little on the heavy side but just the way I want it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I recently bought a PSA lower parts kit for spares and it came with the EPT group. Put the EPT in a Colt 6720 to see if I could notice a difference compared to the stock trigger that was in it and I could. To me it was noticeably smoother and a slight improvement worth a few extra bucks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:18:19 AM EDT
[#5]
It is better than most "mill spec" triggers that come in LPK's or in basic rifles.  I cannot tell the difference in feel compared to the ALG ACT.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:51:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It is better than most "mill spec" triggers that come in LPK's or in basic rifles.  I cannot tell the difference in feel compared to the ALG ACT.
View Quote

I can't imagine it being much better. Sure there's a bit of take up, and over travel compared to my 100.00 trigger, but compared to a DA Stock trigger in a revolver or CZ vs. a worked over trigger there's really not much noticeable difference that I can tell.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 2:30:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I can't imagine it being much better. Sure there's a bit of take up, and over travel compared to my 100.00 trigger, but compared to a DA Stock trigger in a revolver or CZ vs. a worked over trigger there's really not much noticeable difference that I can tell.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sounds like you already made up your mind.  You should stick with your stock trigger. it's not going to be a night and day difference but it is a smoother trigger.  If you already have a great stock trigger that is not gritty, it's not for you.  If you have a crappy stock trigger, you will notice a difference even if it is a slight difference.

You will most likely not notice a difference in quick tactical shooting.  You may notice a difference in slower rate of fire.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Try an ACT from ALG, bet you like it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:56:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It sounds like you already made up your mind.  You should stick with your stock trigger. it's not going to be a night and day difference but it is a smoother trigger.  If you already have a great stock trigger that is not gritty, it's not for you.  If you have a crappy stock trigger, you will notice a difference even if it is a slight difference.

You will most likely not notice a difference in quick tactical shooting.  You may notice a difference in slower rate of fire.
View Quote

The perfect answer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I have both the EPT and the ACT.  I like them both tbh.  They are both smooth, and as good as a "mil-spec" trigger gets.  If i had to give one a leg up over the other the ACT might be a touch smoother....but its also twice as much.  Whats great is you can get a decent mil-spec trigger for 30 bucks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I've bought two of PSA's cheapest trigger groups over the counter in the past, they were just listed as a std. FCG but were polished like a mirror. For $30 I was very happy. But when I went for a third one they'd come out with the $40 'enhanced polished' FCG and the el cheapo $30 kit wasn't polished at all. I was still happy to pay the extra $10 but they didn't have any in stock but sold me an ALG QMS for $45. Not sure which one I like better, the PSA feels a little lighter but the ALG breaks a little cleaner.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#12]
On the trigger choice, this can be all over the board. I get the impression from your build that you're not wanting to spend any more than necessary to achieve decent, acceptable performance as it pertains to reliability and accuracy.

I have some high dollar guns with some high dollar triggers. When building my first "cheap" AR to be a true truck gun...lock/secured behind the front seat of my pickup...I didn't want to spend $150+ on a trigger.

I stumbled across the Spikes Battletrigger for the mid-$50 price range. IMO what makes this relatively milspec trigger work isn't just the better finish/polish done to the trigger metal. A huge benefit is the NiB treatment to the trigger components. This aids the metal polishing to make the pull and break even cleaner/crisper.

It's not a Geissele or other high zoot trigger, but man it makes a ton of difference in trigger performance with a low investment.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:59:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Get the PSA EPT FCG with JP enterprise springs for a lighter trigger pull.  You'll be amazed on how light the pull is and how clean the break is.  Cheers
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Came across the jp Springs last night,  and an adjustable grip screw, while I was placing an order online.  So.....  I picked up 3 of each to play with along. I'll use those in tandem with a polish job and see how much improvement I can feel.

Thx for info on those springs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#15]
PSA mil-spec triggers have been hit or miss for me; some have been good, some have been bad. Their one EPT trigger I've tried was downright excellent for a mil-spec trigger, not lighter but much crisper/smoother.
If I didn't have $85 Hiperfire EDT triggers in my AR's now, I'd have no problem using EPT's.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Came across the jp Springs last night,  and an adjustable grip screw, while I was placing an order online.  So.....  I picked up 3 of each to play with along. I'll use those in tandem with a polish job and see how much improvement I can feel.

View Quote

I use this exact same set up on all my builds (JP Reduced Power Springs and Joe Bob Grip Screw), in addition to bobbing the hammer and polishing the FCG components. End result is a very crisp hammer release with an average measured pull of 3 pounds. I have one FCG that I did not bob the hammer and used the JP red & yellow spring kit with a average measured pull of 4 pounds. Never had a problem in any build with at least 500 rounds through each of the 5 guns I have currently.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got two PSA EPT-equipped lowers. I love them. Definitely lighter and smoother than a regular trigger, and not nearly as expensive as most aftermarket triggers. The only AR I would prefer to have another trigger such as a Geissele installed in would be a long range precision gun. However, I haven't built or bought one so I'm not worried about it now. The EPT triggers are just a great replacement for a milspec trigger in a general purpose rifle.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I use this exact same set up on all my builds (JP Reduced Power Springs and Joe Bob Grip Screw), in addition to bobbing the hammer and polishing the FCG components. End result is a very crisp hammer release with an average measured pull of 3 pounds. I have one FCG that I did not bob the hammer and used the JP red & yellow spring kit with a average measured pull of 4 pounds. Never had a problem in any build with at least 500 rounds through each of the 5 guns I have currently.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't know there were so many things one could do to make the (already OK mil-spec IMO) trigger better. I've been carving up S&W revolver hammers lately. These AR hammers look like a breeze in comparison to trigger jobs on CZs!
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Try an ACT from ALG, bet you like it.
View Quote

I love alg but they probably feel the same.

I have qms/act, regular psa triggers, psa ept triggers...

I haven't installed any ept but I'm guessing they'll be about the same as act.  

I wouldn't buy a half-measure trigger upgrade these days, I'd go Geissele or MBT, but just happened to buy a couple $50 LPK daily deals that included the EPT trigger.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#20]
It is worth 25-30$ that it is often on sale for.

Same with above comments.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top