Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2016 6:19:14 PM EDT
Im making a 300Blk finally. It will be suppressed, but not yet. I don't post much, so ill get it out of the way that I have already made 3 ar's in 55.6, and another colt patterned 9; so its 300 time.
Im pretty set on the 10-10.5 inch barrels, as pistol gas is best for 300, and 10.5 seems to get the max out of the 300 cartridge, while staying compact enough to slap a suppressor on.
My questions are:
-Will I see any differences in performance from 416ss vs 4150cmv, and further nitrided or not, since 300 is shot 300 yards and in predominantly?
-Is an adjustable gas block necessary with a pistol gas port if i will be shooting both unsuppressed and suppressed?

With that said, the barrels I am looking at are as follows:

10.3 BA hanson

10.3 BA hanson nitride

10.5 PWS barrel

Any other suggestions are recommended and encouraged; thank you all for your input

(PS. sorry Mods if this was posted in the wrong section)
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#1]
subbed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#2]
BA barrels are great so you have the right idea.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 10.5" Noveske stainless barrel and an 8" CMMG 4140 nitride barrel. Both are around 1.2-1.3 MOA with 110gr Blacktips from a Lead Sled with a 9x scope. Both have varying levels of accuacy with a bunch of different subs suppressed.

Of your choices, I'd go with either of the Hanson's.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 10.5" Noveske stainless barrel and an 8" CMMG 4140 nitride barrel. Both are around 1.2-1.3 MOA with 110gr Blacktips from a Lead Sled with a 9x scope. Both have varying levels of accuacy with a bunch of different subs suppressed.

View Quote

And to continue with the OP's full question (as I'm very interested in this same build,) what gas block do run on your 10.5" Noveske SS? Adjustable?  If not, does is shoot reliably for both subs suppressed and supers?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, as I'm also interested in a similar build, let me throw out another barrel option from Ballistic Advantage.....

The two barrels you linked from BA include a pinned gas block.  However, if you decide you want to go the adjustable route, you may want to consider the BA Modern Barrel from AimSurplus

It is $156.75 but you do give up the Hanson profile as well as Nickel Boron coated M4 feed ramps instead of just Nitride coated.  It does not include a gas block.  But it looks like a heck of a value.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And to continue with the OP's full question (as I'm very interested in this same build,) what gas block do run on your 10.5" Noveske SS? Adjustable?  If not, does is shoot reliably for both subs suppressed and supers?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apologies, reading is hard ...I use the original Noveske gas block on the Noveske barrel, which is just their regular .750 GB...This was a complete Noveske build and the barrel came with a drilled gas block and pin to pin it to the barrel. 100% reliable while suppressed with supers and subs. Haven't shot it unsuppressed at all. It's not overgassed at all running an H1 buffer with a standard carbine spring, BCM Mod 5 CH and standard BCG.

The 8" CMMG currently has a standard BCM gas block and is pretty badly overgassed so I bought an SLR Sentry 7 for it. Haven't installed it yet but will get around to it soon. That one also has a BCM Mod 5 and standard BCG but with an LWRC Ultra Compact stock.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the reply.  Sounds like pretty nice setups!
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP, as I'm also interested in a similar build, let me throw out another barrel option from Ballistic Advantage.....

The two barrels you linked from BA include a pinned gas block.  However, if you decide you want to go the adjustable route, you may want to consider the BA Modern Barrel from AimSurplus

It is $156.75 but you do give up the Hanson profile as well as Nickel Boron coated M4 feed ramps instead of just Nitride coated.  It does not include a gas block.  But it looks like a heck of a value.
View Quote

I have looked at it, however I would go with performance over modern. I want that target crown.

That being said, that is not a very good price for that barrel, and it can be had for much less, BA Modern 300 10.5 for 115$ (you can find it for even cheaper on sale usually, I have seen them going for as low as 80 and change plus shipping)
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Apologies, reading is hard ...I use the original Noveske gas block on the Noveske barrel, which is just their regular .750 GB...This was a complete Noveske build and the barrel came with a drilled gas block and pin to pin it to the barrel. 100% reliable while suppressed with supers and subs. Haven't shot it unsuppressed at all. It's not overgassed at all running an H1 buffer with a standard carbine spring, BCM Mod 5 CH and standard BCG.

The 8" CMMG currently has a standard BCM gas block and is pretty badly overgassed so I bought an SLR Sentry 7 for it. Haven't installed it yet but will get around to it soon. That one also has a BCM Mod 5 and standard BCG but with an LWRC Ultra Compact stock.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there a particular reason you did not try a H2 or H3 buffer with the CMMG/BCM combo before going to the Sentry 7 (given that a H2/H3 is a third the price of a Sentry 7)?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Is there a particular reason you did not try a H2 or H3 buffer with the CMMG/BCM combo before going to the Sentry 7 (given that a H2/H3 is a third the price of a Sentry 7)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. The LWRC Ultra Compact stock (UCIW) uses a proprietary extension, spring and buffer. Heavy Buffers sells an extra heavy buffer for it but it's $125 and wouldn't necessarily fix the issue. I got a sentry 7 for ~$108 or so from JoeBob and this will FIX the issue by reducing the gas that goes into the weapon.

There may be other buffers on the market that will work with a UCIW, or I could have gotten a suppressed BCG or a Gas Buster CH but I decided to approach the problem from the source. (There being many ways to skin a cat and all).

Now if the Noveske would have been overgassed, I was planning on a Gemtech suppressed BCG but its not at all necessary for this gun. Once that pin is in the gas block it's usually a royal PITA to remove it, at least with the tools and experience I have.

Give me a bit and I'll get a couple pictures up.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Both pictures are a bit out of date but you get the idea...The green Noveske is the .300 BLK. (I'm in the process of changing out the black furniture to FDE though, I just like the look better.) The MRO on the 8" PDW just got an SLR mount and I'll be changing out the rail for an SLR Solo Ultralite . When I have the upper apart, I think I'll just cerakote the whole gun too and install the Sentry 7 upon reassembly. (This was supposed to be a BUDGET build, it turned into a budget blown build). Damn NFAids

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:.... I'll be changing out the rail for an SLR Solo Ultralite . When I have the upper apart, I think I'll just cerakote the whole gun too ....
View Quote

I have been pondering on which forearm I was gonna put on my 8.5 Noveske 300BLK barrel and I think you just showed me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have been pondering on which forearm I was gonna put on my 8.5 Noveske 300BLK barrel and I think you just showed me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:.... I'll be changing out the rail for an SLR Solo Ultralite . When I have the upper apart, I think I'll just cerakote the whole gun too ....

But now for the all important, life or death question...Keymod or MLOK.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#14]
isn't 1:7 suppose to be better dealing with subs?

What about the Griffin Armament barrel?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
isn't 1:7 suppose to be better dealing with subs?

What about the Griffin Armament barrel?
View Quote

I only have experience with 1:7 and that's because I've read that the tighter twist allows up to 240gr pills, whereas 1:8 is marginal with the very heavy bullets, but ok up to 220 or so.

I've only shot 203-220gr bullets in my guns so far for the suppressed loads but most loads are pretty accurate at 50yds. A few of the premium loads are pretty good (accuracy wise) to 100yds.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#16]
granite ridge outfitters has the premium Hanson profile 10.3 inches, stainless, for $184 includes GB
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top