Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2016 3:05:31 PM EDT
Is that a good combination for an AR15 build? Any specific uppers from BCM for a carbine. I was looking at the socom upper.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is that a good combination for an AR15 build? Any specific uppers from BCM for a carbine. I was looking at the socom upper.
View Quote

Yes...or just find a BCM complete lower with their Gunfighter stock.  Their M4 SOCOM upper is the best (I own two) and BCM runs a free BCG deal with a purchase of an upper, but I haven't seen that for a while.  

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Standard-14-5-M4-SOCOM-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-m4-14socom.htm
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Works just fine for me OP!
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes...or just find a BCM complete lower with their Gunfighter stock.  Their M4 SOCOM upper is the best (I own two) and BCM runs a free BCG deal with a purchase of an upper, but I haven't seen that for a while.  

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Standard-14-5-M4-SOCOM-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-m4-14socom.htm
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm looking at at the 16 inch barrel version. Also it's a midweight barrel profile if that makes any difference
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a 16 BCM upper on a Aero lower. I don't have any problems......
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice! How are you liking it so far. Pics if you don't mind
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Personally I would get a BCM lower and have a factory weapon, but there shouldn't be anything wrong with an Aero lower.  

BCM makes a bunch of very good uppers, and does a lot of QC in them as well.  Whatever you decide you like should do exceedingly well for you.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally I would get a BCM lower and have a factory weapon, but there shouldn't be anything wrong with an Aero lower.  

BCM makes a bunch of very good uppers, and does a lot of QC in them as well.  Whatever you decide you like should do exceedingly well for you.  

That was the route I went. Factory upper purchased directly from BCM built exactly the way I wanted it and a factory lower purchased from Primary Arms
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Factory BCM is best BCM.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Factory BCM is best BCM.

http://s15.postimg.org/tir61k5nv/IMG_2239.jpg

View Quote

Oh my.

Probably has that BCM upper smell too..
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:03:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Oh my.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Factory BCM is best BCM.

http://s15.postimg.org/tir61k5nv/IMG_2239.jpg

Oh my.

Smells like teen spirit?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:23:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll hopefully be mating my aero lower with a BCM upper tomorrow!

Went the aero route as I refuse to pay $400+ for a BCM lower or $375 for a blem BCM lower (will snag one when I find one at a reasonable price)
Snagged a compete magpul aero lower on sale, and have heard good things about the fit and finish!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:16:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Love my bcm upper 16 middy it's on a spikes lower had zero fit issues
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:56:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Any specific bcm uppers I should look into? I'm looking into the 16 inch BCM standard socom upper reciever
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Any specific bcm uppers I should look into? I'm looking into the 16 inch BCM standard socom upper reciever
View Quote
The socom upper is a good choice IMO. So is the C8 SFW (Canada's medium contour like the socom).
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The socom upper is a good choice IMO. So is the C8 SFW (Canada's medium contour like the socom).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the socom 16 inch or 14.5 inch barrel? What's the difference between the standard bcm m4 upper and the socom?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
For the socom 16 inch or 14.5 inch barrel? What's the difference between the standard bcm m4 upper and the socom?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

16" for no pinned muzzle, 14.5" if pinned is ok or you want to go the SBR route. The socom profile is thicker under the hand guards and it makes a lot more sense than a government profile which is thin under the hand guard. Socom profile barrels tend to shoot a bit better in my experience also.

Socom on top.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
16" for no pinned muzzle, 14.5" if pinned is ok or you want to go the SBR
route. The socom profile is thicker under the hand guards and it

makes a lot more sense than a government profile which is thin under the hand guard. Socom profile barrels tend to shoot a bit better in my experience also.  

Socom on top.
Now when you say pinned muzzle are you talking about the compensator from BCM because on the website it comes with it installed on a 16 inch barrel

https://s12.postimg.org/hzd2y1pzx/IMG_2702.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

16" for no pinned muzzle, 14.5" if pinned is ok or you want to go the SBR
route. The socom profile is thicker under the hand guards and it

makes a lot more sense than a government profile which is thin under the hand guard. Socom profile barrels tend to shoot a bit better in my experience also.  

Socom on top.
Now when you say pinned muzzle are you talking about the compensator from BCM because on the website it comes with it installed on a 16 inch barrel

https://s12.postimg.org/hzd2y1pzx/IMG_2702.jpg

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Any rifle barrel under 16" overall length makes it a SBR. So the way around that with a shorter barrel is to pin and weld the flash hider or compensator in place. BCM sells their compensator and a standard flash hider in extended lengths to bring a 14.5" to 16". If you get the 16" barrel you don't have to worry about any of that.

The pinned muzzle device makes changing out rails in the future more difficult. So if you get a pinned upper, make sure it's how you want it before it's welded in place.

I do not have any pinned barrels for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Went the aero route as I refuse to pay $400+ for a BCM lower or $375 for a blem BCM lower (will snag one when I find one at a reasonable price)
Snagged a compete magpul aero lower on sale, and have heard good things about the fit and finish!
View Quote

Post pics when you do. What lower did you use from Aero?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Any rifle barrel under 16" overall length makes it a SBR. So the way around that with a shorter barrel is to pin and weld the flash hider or compensator in place. BCM sells their compensator and a standard flash hider in extended lengths to bring a 14.5" to 16". If you get the 16" barrel you don't have to worry about any of that.

The pinned muzzle device makes changing out rails in the future more difficult. So if you get a pinned upper, make sure it's how you want it before it's welded in place.

View Quote

How is it difficult? Only thing I'll be changing are the exterior furniture in the future
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
How is it difficult? Only thing I'll be changing are the exterior furniture in the future
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Then you're fine. But if you wanted to put a different rail on it, and it used a different barrel nut, the weld will need to be ground off which typically destroys the muzzle device in the process.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Then you're fine. But if you wanted to put a different rail on it, and it used a different barrel nut, the weld will need to be ground off which typically destroys the muzzle device in the process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And on that other comment if I get a 14.5 from BCM I won't have to worry about it being a SBR since the muzzle device will make it 16 inches. Dont need the hassle of owning one. I'm deciding on those two models 16 vs 14.5

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And on that other comment if I get a 14.5 from BCM I won't have to worry about it being a SBR since the muzzle device will make it 16 inches. Dont need the hassle of owning one. I'm deciding on those two models 16 vs 14.5

And on that other comment if I get a 14.5 inch from BCM I won't have to worry about it being an SBR since the muzzle device will make it 16 inches. Dont need the hassle of owning one. I'm deciding on 2 models 16 vs 14.5
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Personally I would rather have a 16" than a pinned 14.5".
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Is it your only AR? If so I'd go 16".

I have a pinned 14.5 BCM and like it, its my main carbine.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

How so?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

This will be my first AR
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Good combo. I didn't have to use the tension screw either. Very nice fit.

<a href="http://s15.photobucket.com/user/dragtillidie/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1272_zpsqe94oz9u.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/dragtillidie/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1272_zpsqe94oz9u.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice lol what upper is that
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
How so?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How so?
Because I don't want to have to grind a weld off the flash hider if I want to change something.

You might find you like something different once you use it.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This will be my first AR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This will be my first AR

I would just get a 16" carbine gas then. Save the more "specialized" configs for later builds.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I would just get a 16" carbine gas then. Save the more "specialized" configs for later builds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This will be my first AR

What do you mean by specialized?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a BCM 14.5 lightweight KMR upper on an Aero lower with the tension screw.

Boringly reliable and good upper/lower fit. It's my go-to house gun.

Do it
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Because I don't want to have to grind a weld off the flash hider if I want to change something.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

This. My first upper was a 14.5 pinned. Great upper, but I didn't like the limitation and I had an SBR stamp several months later so it made it pointless. Spend the money on pinning/welding on a tax stamp instead or just go 16, thats my experience.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I like pinned 14.5's. I don't worry about changing things but if I did, there are nice rails out there that use the mil-spec barrel nut and cutting down the fsb into a lo-pro gas block is easy enough.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:25:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you are .mil/leo, they can be had for $360, non blem...
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 4:17:34 AM EDT
[#39]
The AR on the bottom is a BCM upper and Aero lower. Fit is great and I've had no issues.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like to step down a level for my lower vs the upper. It's for money savings only though. I view the lower quality as less critical as long you still get something if good quality.

$400 for a lower setup with all the desirable doodads will be right around $400. For BCM, I'd actually consider it a good price.

That said I won't put disproportionate money into my gun. If it's a cheaper one, I'll be damned before I put tons of money into a high-speed handguard or stock. Etc. Lots of people with  way more money into just their handguard or stock than their irons/optic.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top