Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/25/2016 6:12:24 PM EDT
I'm in the market for some LPK's and my normal go-to brand is out of stock. I know that some of these LPK's are are hit and miss on quality, so I was hoping one of you could turn me on to some quality parts. (Bcm is out of stock). If you're allowed to post a link please do.

The triggers aren't as important, but I'll probably use at least one mil-spec trigger. I'm trying to finish a few builds before the election. I have everything for 3 rifles except the LPK's and barrels. Thanks ??

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think ANYONE completely manufactures all the parts of an LPK in house.  The best hammers have an "S" mark on them, and come from either L.W. Schneider or Schmid Tool.

Making roll pins isn't trivial, and making springs is a specialty in itself.  Most companies that "make" lower parts outsource many such parts.

What parts have you found to be "hit and miss"?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought Daniel Defense made their own LPKs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I get my LPK's at my local AR15 store that also manufactures Rogue Defense rifles. These rifles have a lifetime warranty so they don't sell junk that they would need to replace that would hurt their reputation. I've had zero issues, but keep in mind that most AR parts wear out and eventually need replacement.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I recall from years ago, Oly Arms made everything but springs and pins...that may have changed though.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'm in the market for some LPK's and my normal go-to brand is out of stock. I know that some of these LPK's are are hit and miss on quality, so I was hoping one of you could turn me on to some quality parts. (Bcm is out of stock). If you're allowed to post a link please do.

The triggers aren't as important, but I'll probably use at least one mil-spec trigger. I'm trying to finish a few builds before the election. I have everything for 3 rifles except the LPK's and barrels. Thanks ??
View Quote

I have a whole pile of rifles and all were built with random LPK's... the only thing hit or miss with them all were the triggers/hammers and the way they feel when assembled.  I put 2 stage triggers in the rifles I needed better triggers in... the others I swapped triggers around till I got combos that felt better.

You will have the same experience.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:35:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I think kns does
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I won't name brands in case they are board sponsors, but I've had more than one kit missing parts. Most commonly I've had selectors that were not smooth - I know that's easy to replace.

Anyway, I've tried to research who actually makes these things without luck. L.W.S. are in the Colt kits, correct? Since I plan on keeping at least one mil-spec trigger, I'm hoping to buy it right the first time. ALG, LMT, and other reputable companies are selling LPK's. It's the matter of how much of a premium I want to pay for a certain brand I suppose. Most of my first choices of LPK's are all out-of-stock. Appreciate the responses.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:39:13 AM EDT
[#8]
DS Arms I believe makes their own LPKs except for some springs.

It's hard to screw up the small parts, you could always just piece together your own LPK.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:46:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

They do.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:37:54 AM EDT
[#10]
stag is my go to for over a decade
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:42:30 AM EDT
[#11]
CMMG sells a nice lpk without the trigger group.  All the components can be seen through the packaging.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I've read that LMT makes their own LPKs. They're expensive, but you get quality parts for the price.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do.

No way. They MAY finish their Hammers and Triggers. But, I guarantee you they are not coiling springs and making roll pins. That's not efficient. DD only manufactured 16k rifles in 2014 compared to Colt's 60K (ATF 2014 MFG Report). If Colt still finds it beneficial to outsource at that volume, then it certainly makes more since for DD to do the same at a substantially lower volume. Economies of scale and all. I don't get why so many put such emphasis on who machined what part. If you buy from a reputable company it doesn't matter who machined it. Something being machined "in-house" does not make it better than something machined by a third party OEM who has an infinite amount of experience machining on their multi-million dollars worth of equipment.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I really don't care who makes them as long as they are in spec, Chinese monkeys can make then as long as they fit my lower and function correctly.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#16]
X2
I have used many different ones & they all function just fine. I never had any issues.
But I will say nothing I have used feels as good as the LMT complete lower I have.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No way. They MAY finish their Hammers and Triggers. But, I guarantee you they are not coiling springs and making roll pins. That's not efficient. DD only manufactured 16k rifles in 2014 compared to Colt's 60K (ATF 2014 MFG Report). If Colt still finds it beneficial to outsource at that volume, then it certainly makes more since for DD to do the same at a substantially lower volume. Economies of scale and all. I don't get why so many put such emphasis on who machined what part. If you buy from a reputable company it doesn't matter who machined it. Something being machined "in-house" does not make it better than something machined by a third party OEM who has an infinite amount of experience machining on their multi-million dollars worth of equipment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do.

I don't know what to tell you. All I know is that DD themselves will tell you that they make their LPKs in house.

Whether that matters to someone or not, that's up to them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Spike's Tactical DEFINITELY manufactures some of their lower parts kits. The parts used in their Enhanced Battle Trigger system are proprietary.
View Quote

I could be wrong, but I didn't think Spikes made anything in house, it's all out sources.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't know what to tell you. All I know is that DD themselves will tell you that they make their LPKs in house.

View Quote

Below is a picture of the DD lower parts kits from their website. You can clearly see the "boxed S" cast mark on their hammer (found in many an LPK from various suppliers), as well as the Magpul logo on their trigger guard. One can ascertain that since they are not casting their hammer (they may finish them), they are likely not winding springs, stamping disconnects or making detents. They like everyone else take advantage of economies of scale and contract that out. Again, not a bad thing and definitely not knocking DD for it. If anything it's the smart move to contract it out to companies who specialize in such things. No One makes everything in house.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nobody will be manufacturing everything.  The roll/spring pins will come from a pin manufacturer.  Springs will come from a spring manufacturer.

The quality of the hammer, trigger and bolt catch will depend on who the casting house is as well as who does the final machine work.

And, I seriously doubt anybody other that a dedicated solid pin manufacturer would invest in a pin cutter to make detents and the like,  the volume of production would make it unwise.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Below is a picture of the DD lower parts kits from their website. You can clearly see the "boxed S" cast mark on their hammer (found in many an LPK from various suppliers), as well as the Magpul logo on their trigger guard. One can ascertain that since they are not casting their hammer (they may finish them), they are likely not winding springs, stamping disconnects or making detents. They like everyone else take advantage of economies of scale and contract that out. Again, not a bad thing and definitely not knocking DD for it. If anything it's the smart move to contract it out to companies who specialize in such things. No One makes everything in house.  

https://danieldefense.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/0dc2d03fe217f8c83829496872af24a0/s/m/smallpartskit.jpg    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://danieldefense.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/0dc2d03fe217f8c83829496872af24a0/s/m/smallpartskit.jpg    

The last time I spoke with someone at DD over the phone about this topic in particular (around 2 years ago now), I was told that they now make about 99 percent of everything in house. This was around the time they had somewhat recently released their new grips and stocks...which they make in house as well.

I was told the only parts they source were the Magpul trigger guards (which only go in their LPKs, and are no longer on their lowers/complete rifles due to the integrated trigger guard on their newer grip), and some screws they use.

Once again, this is what I was told directly from DD. And they have told far more than just me that they make essentially everything in house. Personally, they're about as standup as a company gets, and I'll take their word for it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Ive noticed Bcm has a star on alot of their lower parts. I've also noticed a difference in quality of Bcm to other lpks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They do.

I have one and the trigger, hammer, and safety selector have the S marking.

My ALG QMS trigger and hammer have the exact same markings.

My BCM PNT trigger is S marked, but it has a star on it as well.

My LMT trigger is also S marked.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#24]
ALG.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Armalite is the only one with a fully serrated bolt catch.  Not sure what else is their own.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I would find an LPK with an ALG trigger,  for milspec they are well made and smooth.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 2:16:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Try KAK.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:22:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe Daniel Defense has said they not have the capability of manufacturing 98% of their own parts, I am guessing everything but springs).  Some parts they surely still outsource as it is more efficient

OP, try grabbing a BCM kit from one of their retailers as opposed to them direct (Brownells etc) if that is what your really want, and I don't blame you it is a superior kit.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:41:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Doesn't Armalite make they're own LPKs?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:01:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
OP, try grabbing a BCM kit from one of their retailers as opposed to them direct (Brownells etc) if that is what your really want, and I don't blame you it is a superior kit.
View Quote

Good luck. I've been looking all over the place and it seems as thought they are not in stock anywhere and have not been for quite a while. I'm anxiously awaiting their availability as I think are numerous others.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Try KAK.
View Quote

That's a good catch.  They state that their kits "feature KAK produced parts throughout."  Including their own springs, apparently.  Nice price, too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do.

Maybe that's why DD only produced 16K vs 60K...
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Spike's Tactical DEFINITELY manufactures some of their lower parts kits. The parts used in their Enhanced Battle Trigger system are proprietary.
View Quote

Still S marked.

I've put in a few hundred to know...
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:21:51 AM EDT
[#34]
LMT makes their own parts in house, and for other companies as well.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top