Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/22/2016 1:26:51 PM EDT
I'm thinking of getting a 20" BCM upper.  I already have several 16" mid lengths and they've all been solid.  However I've read that some people have accuracy issues with BCM uppers.  What kind of accuracy do you guys think one of their 20" uppers would be capable of?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, I can live with 2.5 MOA.  Obviously, tighter groups would be better but Im under no illusions that this thing will be competing with bolt guns or anything like that.  But Ive read some reviews of 4MOA+ at 100 yards which seems really high.  

Ill be adding some IMI 69gr ammo to my stash eventually but most of what I own is Yugo 55gr soft point stuff or basic 55gr or 62gr FMJs.

Edit:  Oh and non-free floated and I will be using a scope.  Im thinking I might like the Primary Arms 5X PRISM for a build like this.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#3]
We talking the 20 inch gi profile upper or the stainless barrel one? Also are you wanting a free floating barrel or using the standard setup?

I have 2 of the gi uppers. One with a kac ras rail and the other with gi handguards. Shooting xm855(which isn't the most accurate ammo) I'm generally in the 2 to 3 moa range if I put a scope on the gun(with the irons I'm not as good on the one with the gi handguard, the other has an acog which I'm generally good with).

Mind you I'm not a great shooter, just an average one. I haven't really tested the guns with match ammo as I don't really care. I want to be accurate enough to kill a coyote, not be supper accurate with the gun on a rest on a solid bench.

Edit: If I have an upper shooting 4 plus moa across different ammo I think I'd be asking BCM to replace the barrel. From what I've read on here and elsewhere the gi style barrels from BCM are not the most accurate in many cases but are within what you would expect from a well "mil spec" style barrel and seem to hold up well. Overall I don't think I'd worry about it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#4]
</a>" />

Its in the middle of a transformation now, I haven't really properly tried to group with it, just shooting offhand. I can say for certain its at least minute of man.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#6]
1.75-2.25 MOA with match ammo and 5-shot groups is the best I've gotten from multiple BCM uppers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:58:16 PM EDT
[#8]
While I have made a better than 1 MOA five shot group at 100 yards while zeroing a 4x ELCAN, I wouldn't call that the standard. I don't typically shoot for groups, but I would estimate the BCM 20" to be capable of a solid 1.5 to 2 MOA on a consistent basis. That's more than good enough for 90% of users.

Edit: I was shooting 69 gr SMK that day

Here's the rifle

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We talking the 20 inch gi profile upper or the stainless barrel one? Also are you wanting a free floating barrel or using the standard setup?

I have 2 of the gi uppers. One with a kac ras rail and the other with gi handguards. Shooting xm855(which isn't the most accurate ammo) I'm generally in the 2 to 3 moa range if I put a scope on the gun(with the irons I'm not as good on the one with the gi handguard, the other has an acog which I'm generally good with).

Mind you I'm not a great shooter, just an average one. I haven't really tested the guns with match ammo as I don't really care. I want to be accurate enough to kill a coyote, not be supper accurate with the gun on a rest on a solid bench.

Edit: If I have an upper shooting 4 plus moa across different ammo I think I'd be asking BCM to replace the barrel. From what I've read on here and elsewhere the gi style barrels from BCM are not the most accurate in many cases but are within what you would expect from a well "mil spec" style barrel and seem to hold up well. Overall I don't think I'd worry about it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep, Im leaning towards the GI upper which I'd throw the same Kac RAS rails on.  Im not worried about free floated so Im not going that road.  And yep, Im not expecting this to be a super precise gun.  Ill probably get a JP upper for that down the road, right now I just want to see how Ill shoot a rifle length BCM since I love my 16" mid lengths.  

Quoted:
http://<a href=http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/joshuamarcreid/Mobile%20Uploads/0819161752_zpsxfjabhne.jpg</a>" />

Its in the middle of a transformation now, I haven't really properly tried to group with it, just shooting offhand. I can say for certain its at least minute of man.

Gorgeous!  Im kinda over Keymod and Im leaning towards KAC RAS rails instead but I cant pretend I don't like how that setup looks.  

Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm thinking of getting a 20" BCM upper.  I already have several 16" mid lengths and they've all been solid.  However I've read that some people have accuracy issues with BCM uppers.  What kind of accuracy do you guys think one of their 20" uppers would be capable of?

I love mine, I should bench it and get you an idea of what sort of groups I'm getting.  

Please do!  I've been a big fan of your photography and company for a long time.  Would love to see what kinda accuracy a pro can do with one of these.  And lets get real, Id also love to see how cool your gun looks !

And Bfoosh, roger that on the ammo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yep, Im leaning towards the GI upper which I'd throw the same Kac RAS rails on.  Im not worried about free floated so Im not going that road.  And yep, Im not expecting this to be a super precise gun.  Ill probably get a JP upper for that down the road, right now I just want to see how Ill shoot a rifle length BCM since I love my 16" mid lengths.  

Gorgeous!  Im kinda over Keymod and Im leaning towards KAC RAS rails instead but I cant pretend I don't like how that setup looks.  

Please do!  I've been a big fan of your photography and company for a long time.  Would love to see what kinda accuracy a pro can do with one of these.  And lets get real, Id also love to see how cool your gun looks !

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
http://<a href=http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/joshuamarcreid/Mobile%20Uploads/0819161752_zpsxfjabhne.jpg</a>" />

Quoted:
Quoted:

I love mine, I should bench it and get you an idea of what sort of groups I'm getting.  

I have an M5 RAS on the way, that rifle is going M16A4. Lol
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:42:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the M16A4 look too!  Only thing is I feel the Carry Handle/ACOG setup puts the line of sight too high over bore.  I dont wanna have to get a cheek riser.  

And to be totally honest, Im too cheap for another ACOG.  Getting a Primary Arms PRISM 5x scope instead.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

A very wise choice.  There's two types of BCM owners...those who own a BCM and those who wish they hadn't sold their BCM.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A very wise choice.  There's two types of BCM owners...those who own a BCM and those who wish they hadn't sold their BCM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh ya.  Im a believer!  

I have one complete BCM rifle (though I bought the lower and uppers separately) and I have another 4 BCM uppers living on other lowers I bought or built.  I drank the cool aid and nearly drowned in it.  Thats why Im selling so much other shit now lol
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But Ive read some reviews of 4MOA+ at 100 yards which seems really high.  

View Quote

Accuracy Evaluation of a Bravo Company 14.5” Barrel

The focus of this article is the cold hammer forged (BFH) version of Bravo Company’s 14.5” barrel with a mid-length gas system.  As can be seen in the pic above, this barrel has a government profile.  This is a chrome-lined, NATO chambered barrel with a 1:7” twist.  Bravo Company states that these barrels have been high-pressure/magnetic particle tested according to the current mil-spec.

I conducted an accuracy (technically, precision) evaluation of the Bravo Company 14.5” BFH mid-length barrel following my usual protocol.  This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any Group Reduction Techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, Butterfly Shots).

The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for. Pictures of shot-groups are posted for documentation.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest from a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The Bravo Company 14.5” barrel used in this evaluation was free-floated during testing using a Daniel Defense Omega free-float railed handguard. The free-float handguard of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification and adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shade was attached to the objective-bell of the scope. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

For this evaluation, I used one of my standard match-grade hand-loads topped with Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings.  When fired from my Krieger barreled AR-15s, this load has produced ½ MOA 10-shot groups at 100 yards.

Three, 10-shot groups were fired in a row from the Bravo Company 14.5” barrel from a distance of 100 yards with the resulting extreme spreads:

1.58”
1.96”
1.50”

for an average 10-shot group extreme spread of 1.68”.  The three, 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group.  The mean radius of the 30-shot composite group was 0.49”

The smallest 10-shot group . . .

The 30-shot composite group . . .

….
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#17]
My BCM 20" .govt profile  upper rifle with A2 furniture is a 2MOA rifle all day with almost any ammo, with handloading I can milk a little better out of it but it's so far pretty consistent at 2MOA. Probably partly due to the trigger and non-match ammo.

Haven't been able to take my 14.5 Faxon Gunner profile pin/welded carbine to the range for a quick evaluation of it's capability.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://app.box.com/shared/static/vb0ji49326ote5fkp77zanujjjeqx04v.jpg

The focus of this article is the cold hammer forged (BFH) version of Bravo Company’s 14.5” barrel with a mid-length gas system.  As can be seen in the pic above, this barrel has a government profile.  This is a chrome-lined, NATO chambered barrel with a 1:7” twist.  Bravo Company states that these barrels have been high-pressure/magnetic particle tested according to the current mil-spec.

I conducted an accuracy (technically, precision) evaluation of the Bravo Company 14.5” BFH mid-length barrel following my usual protocol.  This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any Group Reduction Techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, Butterfly Shots).

The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for. Pictures of shot-groups are posted for documentation.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest from a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The Bravo Company 14.5” barrel used in this evaluation was free-floated during testing using a Daniel Defense Omega free-float railed handguard. The free-float handguard of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification and adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shade was attached to the objective-bell of the scope. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/xo4duzdgtp.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/lkg47ptc04.jpg

For this evaluation, I used one of my standard match-grade hand-loads topped with Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings.  When fired from my Krieger barreled AR-15s, this load has produced ½ MOA 10-shot groups at 100 yards.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/n5uicctmu8ve7kxmht3zboy2inihdvzq.jpg

Three, 10-shot groups were fired in a row from the Bravo Company 14.5” barrel from a distance of 100 yards with the resulting extreme spreads:

1.58”
1.96”
1.50”

for an average 10-shot group extreme spread of 1.68”.  The three, 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group.  The mean radius of the 30-shot composite group was 0.49”

https://app.box.com/shared/static/v12ees2v20rebztan19154kxxo1why9o.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/ffljsglzv8wb6ron1oipq8kdlc7ncuwm.jpg

….
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But Ive read some reviews of 4MOA+ at 100 yards which seems really high.  

1.58”
1.96”
1.50”

….

Very cool info!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:28:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Geoint if you want the kac rail I'd keep an eye out for when KAC sells their factory seconds on their site. 150 bucks and them come with the rail covers. Generally the laser engraving is off or the anodizing isn't perfect.

Here is an old picture of my first bcm 20 inch gun. I used the larue front grip and their rail covers instead of the kac ones. It had that fde ergo grip on it for years as I ordered a black one from rainier and they were out of stock. I asked if they happened to have it in a different color as I didn't care and got an FDE one. Earlier this year it finally got swapped to a black one as I put the fde one on my bcm 14.5 inch uppered sbr that I used other fde parts on.

It is one of my favorite guns. I also really like the acog but as stick said a variable low powered optic would be a good choice as well.

As I said it generally is shooting between 2 and 3 moa but that isn't in the best of conditions and always with 62gr xm855. I found that my 10.3/10.5 inch guns don't like 55gr ammo and have issues stabilizing it(us ammo seems to be more constant but the russian cheap stuff was really bad). Since I shoot suppressed I can't have this happening so pretty much all of my 5.56 ammo is stuff I know will work in them. I don't care enough to be a bench shooter. I just want to be accurate enough to use the gun as needed(hunting or tactical style)

Edit: That must be from when I first got the acog. I hadn't switched to the larue acog mount yet(which I ordered at the same time as larue was out of the acogs).

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I would imagine 1.5 MOA would be feasible with hand loads or match ammo.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Here's mine, good enough for ground hog, and coyote hunting... Will get to 1.5 inch groups with 69gr sierra match kings. Good gun, really wish I could put a FSB with the KMR.... Missed a yote when my scope was knocked out of adjustment (don't ask)  Used back up flip up front on the rail, and standard carry handle rear sight, shot to the left of coyote when using sling, so the KMR does not like any pressure...... Checked zero next day, and was on like it was supposed to be while on the sandbag. Put the sling on it shot to the left 3 to 4 inches, put the bipod on it was shooting nice and low about 4 inches........ The rail flexes.....

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here's mine, good enough for ground hog, and coyote hunting... Will get to 1.5 inch groups with 69gr sierra match kings. Good gun, really wish I could put a FSB with the KMR.... Missed a yote when my scope was knocked out of adjustment (don't ask)  Used back up flip up front on the rail, and standard carry handle rear sight, shot to the left of coyote when using sling, so the KMR does not like any pressure...... Checked zero next day, and was on like it was supposed to be while on the sandbag. Put the sling on it shot to the left 3 to 4 inches, put the bipod on it was shooting nice and low about 4 inches........ The rail flexes.....

<a href="http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/farmallh1988/media/IMG_7323.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x364/farmallh1988/IMG_7323.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/farmallh1988/media/IMG_7323.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x364/farmallh1988/IMG_7323.jpg</a>

Interesting info about the KMR.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  

Quoted:
Geoint if you want the kac rail I'd keep an eye out for when KAC sells their factory seconds on their site. 150 bucks and them come with the rail covers. Generally the laser engraving is off or the anodizing isn't perfect.

Here is an old picture of my first bcm 20 inch gun. I used the larue front grip and their rail covers instead of the kac ones. It had that fde ergo grip on it for years as I ordered a black one from rainier and they were out of stock. I asked if they happened to have it in a different color as I didn't care and got an FDE one. Earlier this year it finally got swapped to a black one as I put the fde one on my bcm 14.5 inch uppered sbr that I used other fde parts on.

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/6474/2VMPEX.jpg

It is one of my favorite guns. I also really like the acog but as stick said a variable low powered optic would be a good choice as well.

As I said it generally is shooting between 2 and 3 moa but that isn't in the best of conditions and always with 62gr xm855. I found that my 10.3/10.5 inch guns don't like 55gr ammo and have issues stabilizing it(us ammo seems to be more constant but the russian cheap stuff was really bad). Since I shoot suppressed I can't have this happening so pretty much all of my 5.56 ammo is stuff I know will work in them. I don't care enough to be a bench shooter. I just want to be accurate enough to use the gun as needed(hunting or tactical style)

Edit: That must be from when I first got the acog. I hadn't switched to the larue acog mount yet(which I ordered at the same time as larue was out of the acogs).

I bookmarked KAC's M5 RAS seconds page, will start checking it daily.  Thanks for the tip!  

Quoted:

1.58”
1.96”
1.50”

….

Thank you Molon!  An average spread of 1.68" is more than adequate for my needs!  As always, your meticulous research is appreciated and admired.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x364/farmallh1988/IMG_7323.jpg

View Quote

Love the way your rig looks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x364/farmallh1988/IMG_7323.jpg

Thanks lol, I do too I just wish that damn rail was shorter... thinking abut moving to a 15 inch Bootleg handguard and doing a long kino lol and putting a clamp on front sight in front of it
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:24:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My BCM 20" .govt profile  upper rifle with A2 furniture is a 2MOA rifle all day with almost any ammo, with handloading I can milk a little better out of it but it's so far pretty consistent at 2MOA. Probably partly due to the trigger and non-match ammo.

Haven't been able to take my 14.5 Faxon Gunner profile pin/welded carbine to the range for a quick evaluation of it's capability.
View Quote

Pretty much exactly what I get with my 20" BCM and XM193 with a 4X ACOG. Boringly accurate and reliable
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:14:21 AM EDT
[#26]
^^^  thats what I like to hear
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like the M16A4 look too!  Only thing is I feel the Carry Handle/ACOG setup puts the line of sight too high over bore.  I dont wanna have to get a cheek riser.  

And to be totally honest, Im too cheap for another ACOG.  Getting a Primary Arms PRISM 5x scope instead.  

Don't rule out a low power variable like a 1-4 or 1-6.  

http://66.media.tumblr.com/9fa3fb7165e4639121749563aef0bf5b/tumblr_obx722wbSL1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

http://65.media.tumblr.com/c15c9d14eb7e33dea45312063c9a1b8f/tumblr_oa14k8FIQm1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

Sexy as hell, damn it, I want the Larue rail, thanks for fucking my wallet
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top