Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/27/2016 7:15:21 PM EDT
I have an older SBR lower receiver and I want to eliminate the "wobble".

Being that it's an SBR lower, I need a perfect job done.

Who can do me a solid professional job?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#1]
+1. Interested to hear what people come up with. I wouldn't mind buying a tap and die set if I could do this to all of mine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#2]
You being in GA, I would see if Rudy can do it. Hes on here as Mad-Machinist. Or you can google Macon armory and contact him that way. He would be the guy I would have in mind for this project.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:21:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Why does an accu-wedge not address your concerns?  The remove whatever wobble I have noticed quite well.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#4]
+1, I've got one lower that is just chock full of wobble compared to everything else I have, drives me nuts.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#5]
It really does not matter if it wobbles or not, that does not effect the accuracy. I guess if it is a personal preference an accuwedge would help take out the wobble or use a foam ear plug between upper and lower and tear off the extra. I did that while in the army to make my weapon less noisy. That thing was a hunk of junk that was a remarked A1 with round handguards installed and a 3-rd burst.

It rattled like a can full of marbles and drove me nuts until we finally got our actual A2's in.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:28:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It really does not matter if it wobbles or not, that does not effect the accuracy. I guess if it is a personal preference an accuwedge would help take out the wobble or use a foam ear plug between upper and lower and tear off the extra. I did that while in the army to make my weapon less noisy. That thing was a hunk of junk that was a remarked A1 with round handguards installed and a 3-rd burst.

It rattled like a can full of marbles and drove me nuts until we finally got our actual A2's in.
View Quote

I'd think by now, that the vast majority of us know that it doesn't truly matter much, but damn, it eats away at me in a fierce way.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:39:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd think by now, that the vast majority of us know that it doesn't truly matter much, but damn, it eats away at me in a fierce way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone makes a shim kit to shim between the frame and upper.  The shim  boxes the post the rear pin goes through  IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:50:34 AM EDT
[#8]
OP,
I would talk with ADCO and maybe ping Stickman at Rainier.

My most recent lowers from AeroP have them and it does not look hard.  A good drill press with tap would do it.  
If you want to keep it close to home but have not seen it , maybe buy a current AeroP lower and use it as a pattern with your local smith.

If I had a loose lower I would probably use an accuwedge or earplug and call it good.  Or do what you are doing, maybe be willing to sacrifice it to the Goddess of Learning with a local smith.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:33:51 AM EDT
[#9]
you can drill a hole in the rear hole of the upper at the bottom and install a set screw. tap hole and install a short allen screw, put some loctite and adjust till the rear pin will go in with a little drag. this will pull the upper tight with the lower.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#11]
This is why I bought another Mega Arms ambidextrous billet lower, they will already perfectly machine come with this as standard equipment
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#12]
You can do it yourself fairly easily.

Instead of drilling "up" from the angled grip attachment point, drill "down" from the top. There's plenty of flat space for you to get a good bite with a drill bit without it walking, and then you can follow that up with a tap.

It's a 10 minute job if you're mechanically inclined.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Foam earplug or accuwedge does a good job of removing that slop without making modifications to the rifle itself, all my deployed buddies with their beat to shit high round count issue rifles swear by this method. For a really bad wobble you can get a thin o-ring and put it around the front takedown lug as well as using a foam earplug under the rear lug.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I understand you trepidation's being its a registered lower. However, this is extremely easy to do with basic mechanical skills. I can send you pictures of my Mega with said screw in it for reference, but all you're doing is drilling a hole and running an appropriate tap into aluminum. Finding polymer tipped allen screws will be harder than the job itself if you have access to a buddies drill press.  

Having said all that, I'd try others recommendations first. Accu-wedge, foam and o-rings, and the like.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#15]
DIY

5 minutes at most, drill down from top

tap

install whatever you want
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Finding polymer tipped allen screws will be harder than the job itself if you have access to a buddies drill press.  

View Quote

just use nylon screw
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top