Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So do I....

I shot up my steel case. I don't plan to buy any more. While I never had any problem with it,  today's prices are not THAT much more for brass.  Ammo of any type is no longer what I call cheap.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I hate this article because people always draw the wrong conclusions

So do I....

I shot up my steel case. I don't plan to buy any more. While I never had any problem with it,  today's prices are not THAT much more for brass.  Ammo of any type is no longer what I call cheap.

whats worse is how the results are skewed because of poor procedure.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Well none of my M16's will run steel, they choke and jam every single time, I have three of them and I am sure as hell not getting rid of those!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Frankly, IMO if you own a gun (ANY gun) that won't run reliably on steel cased ammo, you either need to fix it or get rid of it.

Well none of my M16's will run steel, they choke and jam every single time, I have three of them and I am sure as hell not getting rid of those!

then your uppers are bad.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Boom best article and test I've ever read on the topic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
READ

Boom best article and test I've ever read on the topic

its sad that people will read that, and take it as gospel.

you do realize that contains poor procedures and when mixed with Internet assumptions is a terrible choice to base any conclusions ??

that test is as good as the "chart" in determining usefulness of a product
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Frankly, IMO if you own a gun (ANY gun) that won't run reliably on steel cased ammo, you either need to fix it or get rid of it.

No, they are not bad.  They are old, but they function just fine with the ammo that was designed to be used in them, which makes me happy.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#5]
If your gun cycles it, you don't need brass for reloading, and you're fine with 3-5 moa, then there's no reason in the world not to use steel. It's definitely the most economical choice for practicing, especially on a college budget. Ignore the people that refuse to use it because "their rifles deserve better"-that's just a bunch of BS.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I've shot nearly exclusively steel case for years.  It works well and the cost difference is too much to pass up.  Might wear through barrels or extractors faster but for the savings many new barrels can be bought.

But you guys stick with brass, leave the better price steel case stuff for me
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#7]
There is no reason to ignore those who only shoot brass, it is your gun, look through all of the answers, try the various options and figure out which ones work for your gun and your situation.

As was stated by many, if the gun you have will reliably run steel, then do it, after all it is your pocket book and your gun, not ours.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't reload, no time.
I have 2 scoped ARs that only get brass cased ammo and are strictly for precision work.
The rest of my guns, 1911s, glocks and ARs get steel cased ammo. Mostly wolf, brown bear when I can find it and some tula because wal Mart sells it. I've never had a stuck case with it. In fact I have had 2 desperately stuck cases and both were some kind of mil surp ss109. It was a new barrel from model 1 sales, probably a tight chamber or 223. I ran a chamber brush on a drill in it and I've since bump fired hundreds of rounds of steel through it.
That test that somebody else linked to; I don't think it was a particularly accurate test. After they changed recoil springs the brown bear starts short stroking, obviously the spring was to strong. The one that kept getting stuck cases with tula probably had a tight chamber. Their maintenance was negligent also. They claimed that after 4,000 rounds the steel case guns accuracy dropped to like 15 moa! I have a lot of C&R guns with rifling ranging from frosted, pitted, to barely able to see the rifling and they shoot better than that still. I recall a post where a guy commented "rifling is over rated" and claimed to have a smooth bore (wore out) 1911 that was still quite accurate. So I find it hard to believe that the accuracy would drop that much. Remember AKs all around the world shoot this stuff.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:29:00 AM EDT
[#9]
The steel cases don't bother me as much as the bi-metal jackets do (with the Russian stuff)

I would think they would wear a barrel out faster than anything else if that was all you shot.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I have shot steal for years. Some Ar's don't like it because their chamber is to tight and caseings stick.. Never wore out a barrel or had any other bad effect. That's about it.
Chambers can be honed and made to work with steal that didn't originally. If someone doesn't like it then they can not use it and leave more for me.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top