User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 27
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Went to the range today to kinda sight in my new Eotech and trigger ran great again using my 22 upper but gun absolutely would not run a fast string using Wolf 223 ammo (steel) with the stiff buffer spring.  Nothing to do with the trigger itself but worth noting.  Gun just would not feed.  Was trying to demonstrate to another board member who happened to be there today.   Just not enough umph in that ammo.  Runs fine with factory brass or my reloads.  On the bright side all the empty shells were piled in a nice 2 foot circle a few feet behind my shoulder which made picking up afterwards easy lol
View Quote

When you say not feed perhaps you are describing short stroking. You have a stiff spring, but what buffer are you using? Perhaps a lighter buffer might help.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Got another few hundred rounds through the AR9 and have gotten to where I can dump it fast. Runs perfectly, way too much fun.

Video of the BFS3 running in my AR9, only about 11-12 shots as we weren't loading the mags all the way.
View Quote

What buffer/spring set up are you using
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:09:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What buffer/spring set up are you using
View Quote

Kaw Valley 7.5 oz buffer with their added power spring. Great price here at joebobs.

Running a Spinta blem bolt, Ballistic Advantage 5.5" barrel, and ASC mag with feed lips modified to run with the bolt.

The build has had roughly 500-600 rounds through it, mostly at max speed in binary, with no issues besides a few hammer follows from trying to pull too fast. Eats up any and all steel and aluminum cheap rounds I throw at it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:14:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Kaw Valley 7.5 oz buffer with their added power spring. Great price here at joebobs.

Running a Spinta blem bolt, Ballistic Advantage 5.5" barrel, and ASC mag with feed lips modified to run with the bolt.

The build has had roughly 500-600 rounds through it, mostly at max speed in binary, with no issues besides a few hammer follows from trying to pull too fast. Eats up any and all steel and aluminum cheap rounds I throw at it.
View Quote

I was finally able to sit down tonight and put the BFS III back in one of my AR9 lowers. Now I have one AR9 SBR with the ECHO and one with BFS III. Both are QC10 lowers. Next is more testing. I'm not going to run the BFS III on the 9mm with the crazy setup like I have the ECHO. I want the BFS III test to be tuned as possible before I run it again.  I'm thinking about keeping the BFS III with my YHM buffer, which is on the lighter side at 5.9 oz and the red sprinco power spring. I have an H3 and H2 buffer if I need lighter to speed up the action. I hope I can test everything out this Friday. I have video of the ECHO in the AR9 but I'm lacking BFS III AR9 footage. Do you have any suggestions on tuning the BFS III in an AR9 before I start this up again?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 8:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]
My second BFS III came in today, going to put it in my Fightlite MCR beltfed and report back. The first one has run perfect from day 1 in my 10.5" SBR with standard buffer and spring
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My second BFS III came in today, going to put it in my Fightlite MCR beltfed and report back. The first one has run perfect from day 1 in my 10.5" SBR with standard buffer and spring
View Quote

Awesome. Looking forward to your review of that combo.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was finally able to sit down tonight and put the BFS III back in one of my AR9 lowers. Now I have one AR9 SBR with the ECHO and one with BFS III. Both are QC10 lowers. Next is more testing. I'm not going to run the BFS III on the 9mm with the crazy setup like I have the ECHO. I want the BFS III test to be tuned as possible before I run it again.  I'm thinking about keeping the BFS III with my YHM buffer, which is on the lighter side at 5.9 oz and the red sprinco power spring. I have an H3 and H2 buffer if I need lighter to speed up the action. I hope I can test everything out this Friday. I have video of the ECHO in the AR9 but I'm lacking BFS III AR9 footage. Do you have any suggestions on tuning the BFS III in an AR9 before I start this up again?
View Quote

I was really lucky that my set up runs the way it does. That said the direct blowback nature of the AR9 needs a heavy buffer and bolt to safely run without case head expansion issues or worse, an out of battery detonation. Best I read was around 20oz of combined weight is enough to reliably run the AR9. Most bolts are around the 15oz weight so most 9mm buffers are 5oz to get it to 20oz total.

Best advice I can give is weigh your bolt and choose a buffer that gets total weight to 20 oz. After that choose if you want extended length buffer or want to run a spacer, this will reduce the overtravel of the system. I would start with a regular carbine spring and swap in the higher power if you think it needs it.

To reduce hammer follow the AR needs a lightweight and fast bolt and buffer, that just isn't easy to optimize on the AR9 that needs a heavy system. I would focus on getting the gun to run reliably then train yourself to slow down on the trigger. By running the binary trigger in a slow controlled fashion you can get high rates of fire without hammer follow.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:45:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Just took delivery on my BFS III and installed it into a MPX SBR. Installation was a breeze - about 10 minutes.  Dry fire testing was perfect. If anyone has any advice not he MPX with the BFS, I'm all ears - planning on taking it to the range Saturday or Sunday and may/may not throw on an Omega 9k.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 3:16:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was really lucky that my set up runs the way it does. That said the direct blowback nature of the AR9 needs a heavy buffer and bolt to safely run without case head expansion issues or worse, an out of battery detonation. Best I read was around 20oz of combined weight is enough to reliably run the AR9. Most bolts are around the 15oz weight so most 9mm buffers are 5oz to get it to 20oz total.

Best advice I can give is weigh your bolt and choose a buffer that gets total weight to 20 oz. After that choose if you want extended length buffer or want to run a spacer, this will reduce the overtravel of the system. I would start with a regular carbine spring and swap in the higher power if you think it needs it.

To reduce hammer follow the AR needs a lightweight and fast bolt and buffer, that just isn't easy to optimize on the AR9 that needs a heavy system. I would focus on getting the gun to run reliably then train yourself to slow down on the trigger. By running the binary trigger in a slow controlled fashion you can get high rates of fire without hammer follow.
View Quote

Thanks for your advice. The last time I tried the BFS III was in the SBR the ECHO is currently installed in. I had hammer follow issues with the BFS when I tried to rock n roll the trigger in that setup but it was using a MVB ARC stock. I was limited to the MVB buffer and springs. No high power springs are available for the MVB stock. This time I have a normal stock buffer tube and a red high power spring for testing the BFS III. I want to see what the reliability factor is with the BFS III in an AR9. In my tuned 300 blackout it runs like a champ but I am curious if I can get the same effect in my AR9. My first attempt failed so here I go again with the lower that I can tweak more. .  I hope to have some video by the weekend.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#10]
MBell has the BFS III I sent him. Hopefully we will see a new comparison video of the Echo and BFS III in a few more days.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I have an MPX with a 9K. My 9K is in jail BUt my neighbor is my dealer so I do get conjugal visits. My recommendation is to install KNS anti-rotation pins. The ONLY problem that I have experienced was the hammer pin walking out after 70 rounds. It is a sweet set up. I am on the list for a 4.5" barrel. When it gets here, I will keep the 8" rail on with the 4.5" barrel. The 9K will protrude slightly less than the bird cage that is installed from the factory.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
MBell has the BFS III I sent him. Hopefully we will see a new comparison video of the Echo and BFS III in a few more days.
View Quote
Interested to see his video.

I have yet to install the ECHO I have here. Heck, I just unpacked it the other day. Most of my gun stuff is still in boxes.

I'm hoping to get my range setup at the new property soon. I need some BFSIII therapy after this move.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here's a new video we released yesterday.  In the context of this type of product, we felt compelled to mention something since too many unknowing individuals were suggesting ideas that we knew were not legal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4pxAS9mQCY&app=desktop
View Quote

Made hot since many need to see this.
How NOT to make a Pull and Release Trigger!
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here's a new video we released yesterday.  In the context of this type of product, we felt compelled to mention something since too many unknowing individuals were suggesting ideas that we knew were not legal.

View Quote
Great video guys, thanks for taking the time to educate us about these disconnectors.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

You guys and Fostech are the only two companies that are making "ATF approved" (damnit when are you going to release your ATF letter LOL ) triggers. Thanks for the video on the disconnector. I did not know a filed one could do that and it's understandable why the ATF would get upset. Even though I think the NFA is 100% unconstitutional. On the other hand if the ATF would just let us register new machine guns this problem would mostly disappear.  But both you guys and Fostech would not like that because it would kill the bfs3 and the ECHO.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Video of the BFS3 in a 22lr AR

Finished a 22lr build with a dedicated CMMG upper. Built it as a SOPMOD Block 1 clone and it runs incredibly well. My buddy and I were able to get full 25 round mag dumps out of it if the ammo was willing to cooperate.

This is probably the most fun configuration I have had it in. We swapped on his 223 upper and ran a few mags with it as well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Video of the BFS3 in a 22lr AR

Finished a 22lr build with a dedicated CMMG upper. Built it as a SOPMOD Block 1 clone and it runs incredibly well. My buddy and I were able to get full 25 round mag dumps out of it if the ammo was willing to cooperate.

This is probably the most fun configuration I have had it in. We swapped on his 223 upper and ran a few mags with it as well.
View Quote

Looks like it's running great! 

I'm glad to see it. I honestly think I have more fun with my BFSIII and my .22LR upper than any other combination. 
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Looks like it's running great! 

I'm glad to see it. I honestly think I have more fun with my BFSIII and my .22LR upper than any other combination. 
View Quote

Thanks man, yeah it's running better than I expected. I was the one that sent you an email recently asking what your setup was because it looks like yours runs well too, thanks for the reply on that. I was surprised because it doesn't like CCI Mini Mags but runs near 100% with Winchester white box bulk pack, which is even better for me as it's dirt cheap.

This was using the new Black Dog Machine sonic welded mags, I really like them. Had some issues with light hammer strikes so I just swapped the light blue hammer spring for the milspec spring that is included. This should hopefully fix the hard primer or light strike issue.

I'm with you, this is my favorite set up. The AR9 was fun, the recoil is just goofy with the heavy bolt and buffer. This way I can swap on my 223 upper and blast a few mags at full power. 25 round 22lr is a $1.25 mag dump, this thing pays for itself. Most fun part is keeping all 25 rounds on the steel target and hearing the constant ringing.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Who has the best price on these right now? Best I've seen is $360ish...
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I ordered mine from Optics Planet here and requested a price match to a website for $291 shipped, surprisingly they did and shipped for that price. The website I used to match is no longer up so it's good I just used it to match and not order from. I was able to get a few other people to replicate the deal for just over $300.

Looks like centerfire (here) had it for $343, you can try to see if Optics Planet will price match to that price, no guarantee as it's out of stock.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I ordered mine from Optics Planet here and requested a price match to a website for $291 shipped, surprisingly they did and shipped for that price. The website I used to match is no longer up so it's good I just used it to match and not order from. I was able to get a few other people to replicate the deal for just over $300.

Looks like centerfire (here) had it for $343, you can try to see if Optics Planet will price match to that price, no guarantee as it's out of stock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks... I'll look into this.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:21:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Out of interest... has anyone had any experience with the bfs3 in a 308 platform rifle? I have an lar8 that I am in the process of modifying.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:35:22 AM EDT
[#24]
hammer follow & BFS Gen3.

so what exactly causes hammer follow?  i understand it's dead trigger, hammer not being reset after bolt cycles.  and that's what i'm experiencing occasionally with my 9mm AR with the BFS Gen 3.  before i throw stuff at it to "solve" it, just wondering what the root cause, or causes are.

so, disconnector is not catching the hammer?

7.5oz Kaw Valley buffer with std M4 carbine buffer spring.  i do get reliable LRBHO.  Hahn dedicated mag block, Metalform mags, KVP bolt.  i do have the extra power spring that shipped with the BFS, but not understanding how hammer follow is caused, hesitant to install blindly.   would like to know how that solves the problem.   i could also go lighter buffer, or heavier buffer.

i only run into this with my 9mm BFS AR.  doesn't occur in my 5.56 BFS AR.  thought i'd ask, fountain of wisdom...
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#27]
If trying to solve bolt bounce make sure you have a buffer with sliding weights inside.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

so what exactly causes hammer follow?  i understand it's dead trigger, hammer not being reset after bolt cycles.  and that's what i'm experiencing occasionally with my 9mm AR with the BFS Gen 3.  before i throw stuff at it to "solve" it, just wondering what the root cause, or causes are.

7.5oz Kaw Valley buffer with std M4 carbine buffer spring.  i do get reliable LRBHO.  Hahn dedicated mag block, Metalform mags, KVP bolt.  i do have the extra power spring that shipped with the BFS, but not understanding how hammer follow is caused, hesitant to install blindly.   would like to know how that solves the problem.   i could also go lighter buffer, or heavier buffer.

i only run into this with my 9mm BFS AR.  doesn't occur in my 5.56 BFS AR.  thought i'd ask, fountain of wisdom...
View Quote
I just looked up your Kaw Valley buffer. It's a solid weight buffer. That works fine on traditional semi auto's but with the BFS III you will get bolt bounce.

Look at the VLTOR A5H4 buffer to provide the amount of reciprocating mass you need to solve your problem. It's extra length won't cause issues in a 9mm build.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If trying to solve bolt bounce make sure you have a buffer with sliding weights inside.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
After running the BFS yesterday agian in my AR9 I do not think 9mm is the place for the BFS. Keep it on your 556 or 300 (tuned) and you'll be happier. I had hammer follow even with an H bufferand wolf extra power spring. I did not want to do a carbine weight because of the mass weight, no more OOB events for me. I could run it but I could not run it super fast. Be sure that your buffer has weights. I used a solid tungsten on the ECHO and had two OOB events. They were not fun. Yesterday my Max weight on the BFS III setup was a yhm PC buffer at 5.6 oz. Lowest weight was an H buffer at approximately 3.8 oz. You can run the bfs III on an AR9 but stopping HF is only possible by limiting your finger trigger speed from my experience. Maybe a carbine buffer would work but that's to low for me. My BFS 3 is going back in my blackout that's? tuned for it. Runs like a champ in that gun with no HF. I hope if FA does another model gen they have some kind of trigger lock like the ECHO. It would solve the hf problem and there binary mode is better that fostechs
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Better trigger pull and feel swapping the stock Franklin hammer with a nickel-teflon one. Perhaps Franklin could offer the BFS with this finish as well.

Noticeably smoother and lighter trigger pull using the hammer from an "Enhanced Nickel Teflon Trigger Assembly" from Right to Keep and Bare.  Tested (not live fire yet) in semi and binary modes. Perfect function in both. The Nickel Teflon hammer made a surprising difference. Kudos to JaqueFrost here for giving me the idea.

Link: https://www.righttobear.com/Enhanced-Nickel-Teflon-Trigger-Assembly-p/enta-01.htm
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#32]
i'm gonna try the Vltor A5H4 buffer for my BFS G3 AR-9.  just ordered it.  and also give the stronger spring a try.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Finally got a chance to hit the range with MCR, it ran perfect with the BFS III with 5.56 ammo and some cheap Tula ammo.  I'll bring someone with me next time to try to video.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I noticed even with the hammer down I can move my selector half way to safe with normal pressure. With a little bit of extra pressure it moves to safe. Is this normal?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I noticed even with the hammer down I can move my selector half way to safe with normal pressure. With a little bit of extra pressure it moves to safe. Is this normal?
View Quote
I have the same question.......
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:19:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Now if someone would bring back the A&D American 180 Drum Adaptor, being able to have 275 rounds of .22 L.R. In your AR with the BFS III would be a riot!

https://i.imgur.com/qpzKzjK.jpg
View Quote
That mag is ridiculous, I must have one. I know black dog makes a 50 round drum that I may pick up at some point, their 25 rounders have been excellent. I need to get out this weekend and shoot again, still loving the 22lr BFS3 combo.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Swapped mine out of my M&P 15-22 into a (mostly PSA) home-brew 16" mid-length 5.56mm. Tested with the buffer, buffer spring, and bcg I had in it already, experienced hammer follow fairly quickly. Eventually worked my way down to their buffer spring, a lighter buffer, and a lighter bolt carrier to get the best reliability (I'll post the weights later). Tested a second time yesterday and thought I had a hammer-follow malfunction fairly quickly, but when I racked it, a fired cartridge was ejected, so it must have been a FTE somehow. At the end of my 3rd 30-rounder I thought it happened again, but it turned out it was empty and the bolt had just failed to lock open (PMAG and American Eagle .223). Not sure what to blame there either, guess it will take burning through even more ammo to try and figure out what might be the issue was/is, haha. Ironically, the range officer (who had seen me shoot with that trigger 3 separate times now) came over to ask if I was using a binary trigger that wasn't working properly, -because I shouldn't be able to fire off strings that fast with one.

Franklin Armory Gen 3 Binary Firing System
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#40]
i decided to pair up my BFS Gen3 carbine lower with my 14.5" 5.56 upper with an Adams Arms piston conversion.  put about 100 rds through it, including one binary 40rd mag dump, then i was out of time and ammo, just a preliminary check.  no problems (yet,  sofar).  looks normal on the inside.

standard M4 CS carbine buffer spring, Aero Precision (Ballistic Advantage) mid-gas 14.5" govt profile barrel, cross-pinned Adams Arms picatinny gas block, pinned & welded brake, H3 buffer, run-of-the-mill mil-spec std upper, lower.  MOE-SL mid-length handguards.  POF buffer tube.

even though there was smoke coming out of the handguard vents, the HG heatshield did a pretty good job.

i think i'm gonna like this combo.  will have to see how it goes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:26:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
i decided to pair up my BFS Gen3 carbine lower with my 14.5" 5.56 upper with an Adams Arms piston conversion.  put about 100 rds through it, including one binary 40rd mag dump, then i was out of time and ammo, just a preliminary check.  no problems (yet,  sofar).  looks normal on the inside.

standard M4 CS carbine buffer spring, Aero Precision (Ballistic Advantage) mid-gas 14.5" govt profile barrel, cross-pinned Adams Arms picatinny gas bock, pinned & welded brake, H3 buffer, run-of-the-mill mil-spec std upper, lower.  MOE-SL mid-length handguards.  POF buffer tube.

i think i'm gonna like this combo.  will have to see how it goes.
View Quote
Yup. Thinking of pairing my BFS with a spare LWRC M6A1 upper assembly I have.    Put a bipod on it and maybe an inexpensive optic like a Vortex 3X Strikefire and it'll make a nice fun and suppressive fire addition. I did, however, change the hammer to a nickel=teflon coated one for smoothness. Wish that Franklin offered the whole BFS with a NIB coating!
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:16:04 AM EDT
[#42]
I haven't seen if this has been asked yet but, is there any chance of a flat face trigger being introduced?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
 Our hands are pretty full right now, but it is something we can consider in the future.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I haven't seen if this has been asked yet but, is there any chance of a flat face trigger being introduced?
 Our hands are pretty full right now, but it is something we can consider in the future.

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm pumped for that MP5 trigger
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm pumped for that MP5 trigger
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:52:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Any chance of this kit coming out in a Nickel Boron or Nickel Teflon version? Would be much smoother.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Beltfed Fightlite MCR with The BFS III

https://youtu.be/jBxjfl1CVE0
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#50]
I just ordered the BFSIII and planned on putting it in a LWRC piston IC 16" SPR. Any issues with Piston uppers?
Any hints on what buffer or spring to use?
Page / 27
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top