BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I posted this in another thread involving the Echo experiencing bolt bounce, it's fairly applicable to your situation:

Proper buffer weight to solve bolt bounce is largely selected based upon barrel profile though some other factors like carrier weight and spring weight.

Colt started with the 3oz carbine buffer with steel weights in the old CAR.  They moved to the H buffer in the M4 with the longer 14.5" barrel. With the heavy M4A1 profile barrel they had to add another tungsten weight with the H2 buffer. Their IAR entry needed an even heavier H3 because of the very heavy 16" profile. 

The army has authorized the H6 for 20" barreled carbine stock setups. The H6 weighs a little less than the H3 and uses 6 smaller tungsten weights with spacers between each.

Lighter carriers should need less buffer weight. I think extra power springs might need slightly more buffer weight.

A spikes T2 appears to provide the same buffer capability as an H1 in 87gn's high speed videos.

I use a .010 extended firing pin to ensure ignition even if the carrier has bounced .010 back open.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I paid much more than I wanted but have a BFS Gen III arriving Monday. I plan to test it and practice with it in a M&P15-22 first then move it over to my 5.56 rifles before deciding which it will stay on. I have a bit of a question though. I have seen various issues mentioned with it and different buffers and springs combinations. I know it comes with a carbine buffer spring that's extra powered. I have two of my rifles using Tubbs flat wire springs which can be used in both rifle buffer tubes and carbine tubes since they are so long and stronger than normal and rated for 50k plus rounds. Do you guys think I will need to remove those and use the supplied spring instead? Also I use heavy buffers in my guns my piston SBR runs an H and my patrol rifle an H3. I have read that heavier buffers are an issue too? So do I need to remove the buffers and use a lighter one? I have spare carbine, Spikes T2 and PWS T2 buffer if needed. Still keeping an Echo on order to try too since I want a binary system to run flawless as possible in at least two of my rifles. Had to use my rifle once already on job unfortunately to take out a pack of charging pit bulls that came at me at close range that had attacked two women prior to my arrival, had to dump 5 rounds ASAP at less than 15 feet to keep me from being next.
View Quote
Keeping in mind what I posted above, what barrels are each of the buffers set up with?  There are two possible problems that need to be addressed with the Franklin BFS III.  First is keeping bolt speed up so you don't outrun the carrier with your hammer and second is the actual bolt bounce.

What barrel profiles/gas systems are you running with each gun?  Generally I would suggest the lightest buffer needed to solve bolt bounce so you keep your carrier speed up.  I would probably start with the Tubb springs you have and then add the Franklin if you experience any issues.

Given standard weight M16 carriers I probably wouldn't go lighter than an H1 buffer.  That should help solve any potential bolt bounce you might encounter.  With my lightweight carrier I use a standard 3oz buffer and it runs well.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I paid much more than I wanted but have a BFS Gen III arriving Monday. I plan to test it and practice with it in a M&P15-22 first then move it over to my 5.56 rifles before deciding which it will stay on. I have a bit of a question though. I have seen various issues mentioned with it and different buffers and springs combinations. I know it comes with a carbine buffer spring that's extra powered. I have two of my rifles using Tubbs flat wire springs which can be used in both rifle buffer tubes and carbine tubes since they are so long and stronger than normal and rated for 50k plus rounds. Do you guys think I will need to remove those and use the supplied spring instead? Also I use heavy buffers in my guns my piston SBR runs an H and my patrol rifle an H3. I have read that heavier buffers are an issue too? So do I need to remove the buffers and use a lighter one? I have spare carbine, Spikes T2 and PWS T2 buffer if needed. Still keeping an Echo on order to try too since I want a binary system to run flawless as possible in at least two of my rifles. Had to use my rifle once already on job unfortunately to take out a pack of charging pit bulls that came at me at close range that had attacked two women prior to my arrival, had to dump 5 rounds ASAP at less than 15 feet to keep me from being next.
View Quote

In my video running the Ceiner conversion I was running a carbine buffer and the heavier supplied spring.  That thing normally jams just shooting semi auto but running this combination it went through 200 rounds mostly rapid fire without one stoppage.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Keeping in mind what I posted above, what barrels are each of the buffers set up with?  There are two possible problems that need to be addressed with the Franklin BFS III.  First is keeping bolt speed up so you don't outrun the carrier with your hammer and second is the actual bolt bounce.

What barrel profiles/gas systems are you running with each gun?  Generally I would suggest the lightest buffer needed to solve bolt bounce so you keep your carrier speed up.  I would probably start with the Tubb springs you have and then add the Franklin if you experience any issues.

Given standard weight M16 carriers I probably wouldn't go lighter than an H1 buffer.  That should help solve any potential bolt bounce you might encounter.  With my lightweight carrier I use a standard 3oz buffer and it runs well.
View Quote
Well one of my 16" rifles runs an H3 and Tubbs spring, it mostly a PSA build with a mid length gas system with A2 barrel profile (currently my main patrol rifle).

My M&P-15X runs a Spikes T2 with a carbine buffer spring and carbine gas system with 16" M4 barrel profile.

My ATAC SBR which is a modified piston PWS system runs a H buffer with Tubbs spring its a carbine piston length and uses a 11.5" Sabre Defence MIL-B-11595 barrel unsure of the profile?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#5]
All of those should be served pretty well with an H buffer. I'm not sure I would swap anything out unless you experience issues.

Ideally you could take a high speed camera and fire a few shots on semi auto from the bench. Then you could verify which option gives you the best anti-bounce results.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:01:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
All of those should be served pretty well with an H buffer. I'm not sure I would swap anything out unless experienced issues.

Ideally you could take a high speed camera and fire a few shots on semi auto from the bench. Then you could verify which option gives you the best anti-bounce results.
View Quote
Thanks. I got worried after reading the various buffer issues but it seems most of them was pre Gen 3. Once again thanks.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#7]
For those interested in lowering pull weight; I put the reduced power hammer spring on my ALG ACT hammer and even with the standard power trigger spring I was reading 4.5lb on my scale!

ETA: 4.5lb in the binary position. About 5.5lb in semi because of the IDS drag. I need to touch up the back of the IDS and see if it will save a little weight and smooth it up.

I'll be sending it out to Michael Bell (mbell) so he can do a review video and comparison with the Echo. His current comparison video is just the gen 2 against the Echo and I think he will be much happier with the gen 3.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:11:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Installed it first in my S&W M&P 15-22 like someone else, said: to see which rifle it's going to stay in. That IDS is a PITA if you suffer the misfortune of having it get disassembled, the spring is all but impossible to find on carpet, and it can get pinched and become deformed VERY easily when trying to slide the pin past it... Glad it came with 2, but I'd rest better with at least 2 more spares, haha.
I could not for the life of me get binary mode to work when performing a hand-cycle function check, and it was only after several complete tear-downs and reinstallations that I found it to only work with the upper installed, and I decided that's all that mattered. However, I *am* able to activate the safety without the hammer cocked...
Trigger worked just fine first trip to the range, and it was pretty quick that I saw an employee poke his head around the corner to see what the hell I was shooting, ha. You can go through 5 pre-loaded magazines awfully quick, that's for sure... And not even burn your support hand! However, if I can get to work fine on one of my .223's, I'll probably leave it on that, because... recoil. Even doing mag dumps the 15-22 is reminiscent of shooting an airsoft rifle on auto, ha.
https://youtu.be/5VkZNYI6ks8
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:05:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I could not for the life of me get binary mode to work when performing a hand-cycle function check, and it was only after several complete tear-downs and reinstallations that I found it to only work with the upper installed,
View Quote

You need to push down really hard to get the hammer to reset by hand cycling. Like you said though, if it resets with the upper on and functions while shooting then you are good to go.

Still loving this trigger, put another couple hundreds rounds through the AR9 with no issues. Cant wait to shoot with friends and family and see their reactions.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Installed it first in my S&W M&P 15-22 like someone else, said: to see which rifle it's going to stay in. That IDS is a PITA if you suffer the misfortune of having it get disassembled, the spring is all but impossible to find on carpet, and it can get pinched and become deformed VERY easily when trying to slide the pin past it... Glad it came with 2, but I'd rest better with at least 2 more spares, haha.
I could not for the life of me get binary mode to work when performing a hand-cycle function check, and it was only after several complete tear-downs and reinstallations that I found it to only work with the upper installed, and I decided that's all that mattered. However, I *am* able to activate the safety without the hammer cocked...
Trigger worked just fine first trip to the range, and it was pretty quick that I saw an employee poke his head around the corner to see what the hell I was shooting, ha. You can go through 5 pre-loaded magazines awfully quick, that's for sure... And not even burn your support hand! However, if I can get to work fine on one of my .223's, I'll probably leave it on that, because... recoil. Even doing mag dumps the 15-22 is reminiscent of shooting an airsoft rifle on auto, ha.
https://YouTube/5VkZNYI6ks8
View Quote

Nice video. 

If you ever need another IDS spring, in a pinch you can make your own by cutting a detent spring from a lower parts kit. I think the measurement you want to shoot for is somewhere between .350-.355". 
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nice video. 

If you ever need another IDS spring, in a pinch you can make your own by cutting a detent spring from a lower parts kit. I think the measurement you want to shoot for is somewhere between .350-.355". 
View Quote

Thanks, yeah, good to know it's not something I would have to go specifically through Franklin Armory to replace, heh.
Another thing I forgot to mention specific to the M&P 15-22 if others thinking about putting it in theirs haven't noticed yet: there are stops on either side of the lower receiver that will prevent the selector switch from rotating into the 3rd position. Fortunately, it's polymer, so I was able to file them down with just the file on a pocket knife easily enough.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Installed my second trigger in a Sig MPX. Functioned perfect and passed all of the checks. Took it to the range to sight in the MRO that was mounted and in was perfection. It did everything that it was supposed to do and all function test passed during live fire. My son came over last night and I pulled it out so that he could drool a little. I started showing him how the trigger operates and nothing would work. The safety engaged without the hammer being engaged. The binary function couldn't be disabled between actions and the safety would work but if the trigger was pulled with a little force the hammer would drop. I went to tear it apart this morning and reinstall it figuring that I had missed something. I pulled the grip and the springs and detent and when I went to pull the hammer I noticed that the pin had walked out just enough so that the hammer was not secure. I popped the pin all of the way through and everything functioned as it should. I have never seen a real need for anti walk pins but I have never had pins walk on me. Guess I need to order a couple of sets for both triggers.
Is this issue more prone on these triggers or have I just been lucky to date?  It only took 75 rounds to walk that pin. Really glad I caught it before something bad happened.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you sure your hammer legs were over the pins and the hammer spring was installed correctly?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#14]
If you were responding to me, yes it was installed correctly. Once the pin was pushed through, all function checks were good. Ordered 2 sets of KNS pins for the two Binary triggers that I have installed.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Well today's 9mm pistol test didn't go as well as I had hoped.  I think most of my issues were related to my weak 115 gr reloads moreso than the trigger system however.  Had quite a few instances of hammer follow.  I only have about 300 rounds thru this gun since I built it.  Had several stovepipes, new Primary Arms Micro Dot kept shutting off mid shoot , plus the hammer follow.   Also tried a new brass catcher which cause a couple of jams.  I shot at first using the original buffer spring(9mm buffer) and changed to the heavier spring after 3 full mags.  No real change as a result.  Gun did pretty good with controlled pairs but if I tried to run it much faster hammer follow would result.  Also trying to keep the Sig brace off my shoulder in the video did not help.  I had no issue with this in my 223 and 22lr gun.  Going to try again in a few days with some factory ammo as well as some hotter 128 gr I have loaded up for 9mm rifle use.  The 115 gr reloads I have 1,000s of are mainly for use in my Glocks for practice.  After 150 rounds I decided to call it and head back home.  I may or may not post any of today's video.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well today's 9mm pistol test didn't go as well as I had hoped.  I think most of my issues were related to my weak 115 gr reloads moreso than the trigger system however.  Had quite a few instances of hammer follow.  I only have about 300 rounds thru this gun since I built it.  Had several stovepipes, new Primary Arms Micro Dot kept shutting off mid shoot , plus the hammer follow.   Also tried a new brass catcher which cause a couple of jams.  I shot at first using the original buffer spring(9mm buffer) and changed to the heavier spring after 3 full mags.  No real change as a result.  Gun did pretty good with controlled pairs but if I tried to run it much faster hammer follow would result.  Also trying to keep the Sig brace off my shoulder in the video did not help.  I had no issue with this in my 223 and 22lr gun.  Going to try again in a few days with some factory ammo as well as some hotter 128 gr I have loaded up for 9mm rifle use.  The 115 gr reloads I have 1,000s of are mainly for use in my Glocks for practice.  After 150 rounds I decided to call it and head back home.  I may or may not post any of today's video.
View Quote

What 9mm bolt do you have? I had problems with mas defense bolt so I bought a NFA. I got it the other day and its heavier than my other 2 9mm bolts. I hope to get out the range this next week to test it out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What 9mm bolt do you have? I had problems with mas defense bolt so I bought a NFA. I got it the other day and its heavier than my other 2 9mm bolts. I hope to get out the range this next week to test it out.
View Quote

Honestly I don't know.  It came in the JSE Wilson Arms upper.  The bolt in my RockRiver rifle upper is much heavier also but it is a non-ramped bolt.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Sudden change of plans just because I was curious and changing this out only takes minutes!  I decided to try this in my 9mm RockRiver upper with non-ramped bolt.  Like butter!!!!!  

Non ramped RR bolt and hammer in front, ramped 9mm bolt in rear and it's filthy from yesterdays outing.

Attachment Attached File

Closer shot

Attachment Attached File

Said rifle on DPMS lower

Attachment Attached File

Range test soon but I'm confident it will work OK.  This is a very fun gun with the Bumpfire stock.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Got my BFS Gen 3 in today and its a no go. It wont pass the first function test after step 5 on install. I checked the IDs multiple times and its good but it doesn't work when the hammer is installed.

EDIT: Its the supplied hammer. I tried the Franklin hammer and it was a no go. I tried a Palmetto State Armory hammer with no go, and a Smith and Wesson M&P hammer was a no go. Stag hammer no go. A modified DPMS hammer I had done by Bill Springfield to be 4lbs with its trigger however worked. Now I gotta try to find a hammer for this one
Four Lowers (Palmetto State, M&P, MEGA, Black Rain, and four hammers, all had the same results. It will only function with a modified DPMS hammer I have (tail end of the hammer is bobbed). Weird.

EDIT 2: works with a friends bob tailed JP Speed Hammer so its something to do with the back end of the hammers.
Here is the one that works vs the Franklin Hammer

I ended up using a dremel and grinding the back end of the Stag hammer and once I cut off just a bit of material the trigger worked. It seems the upper claw of the rear of the hammer is too long and touches the trigger causing issues.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:34:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Got my BFS Gen 3 in today and its a no go. It wont pass the first function test after step 5 on install. I checked the IDs multiple times and its good but it doesn't work when the hammer is installed.

EDIT: Its the supplied hammer. I tried the Franklin hammer and it was a no go. I tried a Palmetto State Armory hammer with no go, and a Smith and Wesson M&P hammer was a no go. Stag hammer no go. A modified DPMS hammer I had done by Bill Springfield to be 4lbs with its trigger however worked. Now I gotta try to find a hammer for this one
Four Lowers (Palmetto State, M&P, MEGA, Black Rain, and four hammers, all had the same results. It will only function with a modified DPMS hammer I have (tail end of the hammer is bobbed). Weird.

EDIT 2: works with a friends bob tailed JP Speed Hammer so its something to do with the back end of the hammers.
Here is the one that works vs the Franklin Hammer
 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/StuartBoyer/IMG_1255_zpsheqtz45o.jpg
View Quote

I am curious, did you function test with the upper installed?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:52:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I am curious, did you function test with the upper installed?
View Quote
Yep and still a no go. I ended up dremeling material off the back of the hammer on my Stag hammer since I don't use it and it worked. seems the backs of the hammers are hitting the trigger and thus it couldn't function right and perform the release shot.

Here is my cut Stag trigger installed with the Franklin on top to show how much I removed. Wished I had better tools for a cleaner cut but what can I do? Guess I'll explain to Franklin and see what they say.

Now to just figure tomake the safety easier to use, its extremely stiff but I did not over tighten it. Need to trim the plunger spring.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 4:25:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I must've gotten lucky. Mine has worked in perfect order in two different lowers(Anderson, and Spikes). Tried some 62gr steel core, 75gr TulAmmo steel case, 55gr target rounds,  and a CMMG .22lr conversion kit. The only issued I had were with the .22 conversion kit. However, they were minimal,  and I believe it was due to a very dirty carrier.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 6:37:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yep and still a no go. I ended up dremeling material off the back of the hammer on my Stag hammer since I don't use it and it worked. seems the backs of the hammers are hitting the trigger and thus it couldn't function right and perform the release shot.

Here is my cut Stag trigger installed with the Franklin on top to show how much I removed. Wished I had better tools for a cleaner cut but what can I do? Guess I'll explain to Franklin and see what they say.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/StuartBoyer/IMG_1258_zpsunjwvamq.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/StuartBoyer/IMG_1260_zpsgzbt4u8a.jpg

Now to just figure tomake the safety easier to use, its extremely stiff but I did not over tighten it. Need to trim the plunger spring.
View Quote
Just be aware the hammer is designed to contact the IDS and force it forward. If it doesn't contact it doesn't work right.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just be aware the hammer is designed to contact the IDS and force it forward. If it doesn't contact it doesn't work right.
View Quote

Yep that's why I'm gonna try to get a hold of Franklin. I ran 130 rounds of cheapo Federal Value ammo through a carbine upper with a semi auto bolt group today and it ran very well. Only 3 problems that were either hammer follow or light primer strikes or me. I was in a hurry so I forgot to open the upper to see if it was hammer follow. The three rounds were all very lightly hit but that could have been chambering firing pin marks and not necessarily light primer strikes. It only happened on very fast shooting when I tested a mag dump and only on the last 50 or so rounds. When I did a rhythm of short burst I had no issues and the first could magazines shot fast it functioned flawless.

UPDATE: Either every lower and hammer I own is out of spec along with Franklins Hammer or it's the BFS. It wont work with the Franklin parts on 6 guns now. I tried it on my M&P 15-22 and it wouldn't work, I then borrowed a friends duty rifle and its the same with his. I think the issues my be an out of spec rear end of the trigger and IDS?

EDIT: got a hold of Franklin and am filling out a RMA now on the trigger. To bad the PDF form wont let me sig it, man this is a pain.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Well since the storms moved out quickly this morning I was able to make a quick run to the range again.  The install in the rifle while not 100% went better than I thought considering the non-ramped bolt in this upper and the different style hammer needed.  Only had one hammer follow and shot that round in the very next mag.  Gun ran great until I pushed it really fast and then I would have feeding issues unrelated to  the BFS.  I was still using my weak 115gr reloads since I had several mags loaded from the earlier pistol trial.  I unfortunately left the heavier buffer spring at home so I didn't get to see if it would make faster shooting more reliable.  All and all I'm very happy at this point and my 223/22lr has been 100%.  I included a little video of the pistol shooting also but didn't include all the major fail I had with it. Frankly the pistol was not pleasant to shoot using a cheek weld trying to keep the brace off my shoulder on video.  210 rounds today through the rifle with mostly just a few feeding issues I left out and some of those were me attempting to get a cheap Caldwell brass catcher working without success.  Both of these guns are using RockRiver magwell blocks also.  The pistol my be my choice for the ECO if they ever become readily available.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:01:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Curious,

Doe the BFS 3 have an estimated "life span"? Is it similar to standard Mil-spec or are there other factors perhaps?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:20:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Our experience with Gen 2 was that springs needed to be replaced at 25,000 rounds, but the steel components looked perfect.  We  simply replaced springs and that trigger is still rocking on.

BFSIII should last just as long since we used similar materials.  However, you will be able to replace the springs on your own without having to come back to the factory.  

We look forward to hearing how many rounds you all get on your triggers.
View Quote

Hey Franklin can you give us a sneak peak at the HK trigger? the wait is killing me and my mp5 clone Are there going to be any hammer follow solutions included with the trigger pack?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:04:44 AM EDT
[#29]
So here is the tale of my BFS gen III.  I got it from that excellent deal at Universal Mania for $320.

I put it in my DI Colt 6920.  This gun is an old LEO only marked receiver and this gun has always seemed undergassed with light reloads and wolf.  I measured the gas port at 0.063in, and with the 0.750in diameter of the barrel at the gas port maybe that's why.  It did well enough will mil loads.

So I installed the BFS, and installed a voodoo tactical LW carrier, the one with the monolithic gas key.  I initially tried the sprinco orange spring, with carbine buffer.  The thing was a single shot.  Wouldn't pick up the next round, on semi or binary.  I switched to a regular spring and it functioned but didn't hold the bolt back on last round.  Also short stroked on binary mode.  I was a little surprised by this as it was a LW carrier.  

So I wanted to keep the colt barrel around but I'm irritated by this point.  I researched reamers for the gas port and figured I'd try the #50 at 0.070in.  After I did that, the ejection pattern of some of my reloads went from about 4-5 o'clock to about 2 o'clock.  So this is with a LW bcg and regular spring.  The orange spring changed it a little bit.  

So with the gas port the way it was, voodoo LW bcg, orange spring and carbine buffer, and no muzzle brake at the time, this thing ran super fast on binary.  I shot a couple hundred rounds, I don't recall any hammer follow.  Also this was with the standard hammer and trigger spring.

I might try a NIB hammer and the other springs later.  I'm happy so far with it!  I love that it came with a little tube of Slip grease.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:49:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Got another few hundred rounds through the AR9 and have gotten to where I can dump it fast. Runs perfectly, way too much fun.

Video of the BFS3 running in my AR9, only about 11-12 shots as we weren't loading the mags all the way.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:50:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Got another few hundred rounds through the AR9 and have gotten to where I can dump it fast. Runs perfectly, way too much fun.

Video of the BFS3 running in my AR9, only about 11-12 shots as we weren't loading the mags all the way.
View Quote

Nice job keeping the brace off your shoulder!!!!  I found that quite unpleasant the next day after shooting my 9mm pistol as I had several painful bruises on my chest from the bottom of the Sig brace digging in.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Nice job keeping the brace off your shoulder!!!!  I found that quite unpleasant the next day after shooting my 9mm pistol as I had several painful bruises on my chest from the bottom of the Sig brace digging in.
View Quote

Seems like it runs smoother by letting the brace float against my cheek. You can see the recoil helps run the trigger at perfect speed. Any time the brace may have made contact with our shoulder it seems we would get hammer follow as the gun was running too fast. And I agree, strange bruises on my collar bone, that brace sure wasn't meant to be shouldered comfortably. Of course all this contact with my shoulder/chest was on accident as I never intended to shoulder the brace, God forbid I misuse it and "manufacture" an SBR
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Just got my trigger back from Franklin. They determined the trigger body was out of spec and sent me a new trigger. They stated they dry and live fired it for function and its good to go. Now I gotta install it and test her out. Thanks for the handwritten response in the package explaining it. Most companies wouldn't do that.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just got my trigger back from Franklin. They determined the trigger body was out of spec and sent me a new trigger. They stated they dry and live fired it for function and its good to go. Now I gotta install it and test her out. Thanks for the handwritten response in the package explaining it. Most companies wouldn't do that.
View Quote

Got mine back last week, I'm going to test mine out tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trigger or hammer??????????????
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Trigger or hammer??????????????
View Quote

Trigger
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:00:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Any chance these will go on sale for Memorial Day or 4th of July? $400+ is a bit steep me thinks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Any way to smooth out and/or lighten the initial trigger pull?  What about polishing or a lighter hammer spring?

So this is my question. I like the BFS quite a bit, but find the initial "back pull" heavy and a bit gritty. Then again, I'm spoiled by Geissele on other lowers.

I've read that relatively simple polishing can smooth out even a mil spec trigger.

Any suggestions? Experience? Perhaps a crisper hammer and leave the rest alone? Don't want to compromise reliability and component life, but would enjoy a more refined pull.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:11:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So here is the tale of my BFS gen III.  I got it from that excellent deal at Universal Mania for $320.

So I installed the BFS, and installed a voodoo tactical LW carrier, the one with the monolithic gas key. I initially tried the sprinco orange spring, with carbine buffer.  The thing was a single shot.  Wouldn't pick up the next round, on semi or binary.  I switched to a regular spring and it functioned but didn't hold the bolt back on last round.  Also short stroked on binary mode.  I was a little surprised by this as it was a LW carrier.  

So I wanted to keep the colt barrel around but I'm irritated by this point.  I researched reamers for the gas port and figured I'd try the #50 at 0.070in.  After I did that, the ejection pattern of some of my reloads went from about 4-5 o'clock to about 2 o'clock.  So this is with a LW bcg and regular spring.  The orange spring changed it a little bit.  
View Quote

If I remember right the orange spring Sprinco spring is specifically for a 308. No wonder why it did not work!
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:42:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Any way to smooth out and/or lighten the initial trigger pull?  What about polishing or a lighter hammer spring?

So this is my question. I like the BFS quite a bit, but find the initial "back pull" heavy and a bit gritty. Then again, I'm spoiled by Geissele on other lowers.

I've read that relatively simple polishing can smooth out even a mil spec trigger.

Any suggestions? Experience? Perhaps a crisper hammer and leave the rest alone? Don't want to compromise reliability and component life, but would enjoy a more refined pull.

Thanks.
View Quote
I put an ALG ACT hammer in mine and it shaved 1.5lb off the pull weight with the same springs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If I remember right the orange spring Sprinco spring is specifically for a 308. No wonder why it did not work!
View Quote
I use a Sprinco Orange in my BumpSAW and it's really helped me speed up my action and reduce hammer follow. You may or may not have to open your gas port to use an Orange spring with 5.56 ammo. I had to open mine to work with tulammo.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I put an ALG ACT hammer in mine and it shaved 1.5lb off the pull weight with the same springs.
View Quote

Ah, that's right!  ALG is Geissele "light".

Now you have me thinking......I don't have any ALG around, but I do have some unused LWRC enhanced trigger groups.They are nickel-Teflon coated and described as smooth. I could borrow a hammer. Wonder how it would compare to an ALG.  Link below.

https://www.lwrci.com/p-39-lwrci-enhanced-fire-control-group.aspx
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#43]
I think it would be pretty close.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I think it would be pretty close.
View Quote

I would be pretty close---if it worked.   The LWRC disconnector is considerably wider and will not allow binary function.  Stupidly did not notice until after I installed it. It did, however, prove to be smoother so its step in the right direction.  I'll have to find an ALG.

Found an "H" buffer in the parts box. Will try that in place of the H2 just to see. Odd that of my 3 LWRCs, one seems a bit different even though non of them have more than 500 rounds on them.

I did, however, find this which for $40 may be good. Quick google says the quality is there.

http://www.righttobear.com/Enhanced-Nickel-Teflon-Trigger-Assembly-p/enta-01.htm
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Finally got out this weekend for a brief 110 round run.

Andro Corp 10.5" upper with standard carbine spring and 'H' buffer worked well.
Only had two rounds that where no goes.
That could have been me, I was having a bit of fun and didn't really give a shit about them.
Think it was me honestly trying to be a bit to fast on the trigger.
I was more concerned about the Bushmaster hammer running with the Franklin trigger during live fire.

Another happy customer Franklin Armory.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Finally got out this weekend for a brief 110 round run.

Andro Corp 10.5" upper with standard carbine spring and 'H' buffer worked well.
Only had two rounds that where no goes.
That could have been me, I was having a bit of fun and didn't really give a shit about them.
Think it was me honestly trying to be a bit to fast on the trigger.
I was more concerned about the Bushmaster hammer running with the Franklin trigger during live fire.

Another happy customer Franklin Armory.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/136710/2017-01-28-13-155219.JPG
View Quote

Awesome news, and that is one sexy stick you got there! 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Any recommendations from anyone that has removed their trigger and reinstalled it in another lower? I am going to remove from my AR9 and put into a dedicated lower to run mainly with 22lr but have the option to swap on my 223 upper. Do you use the slave pin again to retain the spring?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Any recommendations from anyone that has removed their trigger and reinstalled it in another lower? I am going to remove from my AR9 and put into a dedicated lower to run mainly with 22lr but have the option to swap on my 223 upper. Do you use the slave pin again to retain the spring?
View Quote

Yes carefully reinstall the slave pin each time you remove the trigger.  Just drive it back into the right side and use it to drive out the other pin.  You will hate life if you don't.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:38:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes carefully reinstall the slave pin each time you remove the trigger.  Just drive it back into the right side and use it to drive out the other pin.  You will hate life if you don't.
View Quote

This 100%

I've also used saved slave pins from Gisele triggers. They seem to work just fine.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:51:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Went to the range today to kinda sight in my new Eotech and trigger ran great again using my 22 upper but gun absolutely would not run a fast string using Wolf 223 ammo (steel) with the stiff buffer spring.  Nothing to do with the trigger itself but worth noting.  Gun just would not feed.  Was trying to demonstrate to another board member who happened to be there today.   Just not enough umph in that ammo.  Runs fine with factory brass or my reloads.  On the bright side all the empty shells were piled in a nice 2 foot circle a few feet behind my shoulder which made picking up afterwards easy lol
Page / 27
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top