Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/30/2016 7:48:35 PM EDT
I just do informal target shooting and want something better than stock but still reliable enough for defensive use if the time came. I would also like something slightly lighter than the stock trigger but not so light that it's unreliable with all primers or unsafe in a high stress situation. I've been looking at the Geissele SSA, the Larue MBT, and the ALG ACT. I know the ALG isn't at the same level as the other two but threw it in there because of it's price point and some of the reviews that it's noticeable better than a stock trigger and since I have two rifles to outfit and could get two of the ACT for the price of one of the others.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#1]
SSA and call it a day.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out POF, I've heard good things about their 4.5lb trigger with anti walk pins. Saving up to get me one myself
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd do an Geissele SSA or Larue MBT.  Either are gtg
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have SSA-E and SD-E
Like them both.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Went ahead and ordered an SSA. If I like it I'm sure there will be more coming to outfit my other guns. I have aftermarket triggers in my 700 and my M&P's but have never pulled the trigger on one for an AR.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had good success with all of the following triggers, in various guns, from range rats to precision guns.

ACT is a passable trigger for rats and general purpose use. Better than TYPICAL mil-spec.
Trident Triggers are very good for all uses. Definite improvement over mil-spec.
I have shot a couple of Velocity triggers and was sufficiently impressed to include them in the list.
CMC single stage 3.5/4.5 curved are excellent triggers. Their 2-stage triggers are top shelf as well.
Timney triggers are extremely good as well, albeit a tad spendy. They, as well as the CMCs, have been around for a lot of years.

I have very little actual field use of the Geissele products, although I have installed quiet a few. I won't comment on them other than to say that they feel like a good trigger when using a test fire block after the install. The triggers above are listed in the order of price. You generally get what you pay for with triggers. IIWY, I would likely start with the ACT, get as proficient as possible, and then upgrade as desired. You are correct in that you can get 2 ACTs for the the price of one of any of the others. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd recommend going with the ALG ACT depending on how consistent your factory trigger is. I have a factory LMT lower w/ mil-spec trigger and my groups did not improve with either the SSA or SD-E so I sold them both and went back to stock. Sure, they felt better but it wasn't worth the cost IME. YMMV

The MBT should be a great trigger especially for $125 (no experience with it) but like you said, you can get two ACTs for the same price. I'd use the difference for more ammo.

This was from the other day zeroing new ammo.

http://i.imgur.com/N41HuXF.jpg

And earlier this month when shooting in the rain.

http://i.imgur.com/f7V5Yh4.jpg

This was from Oct 2014 with someone else's handloads for his 18" Krieger barrel (mine is a Douglas). I didn't shoot my AR much if at all in 2015 except during deer season.

http://i.imgur.com/n9oo0wz.jpg
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd recommend going with the ALG ACT depending on how consistent your factory trigger is. I have a factory LMT lower w/ mil-spec trigger and my groups did not improve with either the SSA or SD-E so I sold them both and went back to stock. Sure, they felt better but it wasn't worth the cost IME. YMMV

The MBT should be a great trigger especially for $125 (no experience with it) but like you said, you can get two ACTs for the same price. I'd use the difference for more ammo.

View Quote

My stock triggers are consistently heavy. I was all set on getting two ACT triggers but changed my mind and decided to buy one SSA and see if I like it. The more I think about it the more I realize the weight is what bothers me the most and it seems the SSA will have a bit lighter pull than the ACT. Plus if I don't like the SSA I'll have no problem selling it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:00:54 PM EDT
[#9]
You forgot one: SD-C.  

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My stock triggers are consistently heavy. I was all set on getting two ACT triggers but changed my mind and decided to buy one SSA and see if I like it. The more I think about it the more I realize the weight is what bothers me the most and it seems the SSA will have a bit lighter pull than the ACT. Plus if I don't like the SSA I'll have no problem selling it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure you'll like it (that's the problem ) but I usually try not to recommend someone to get a $200 trigger as a crutch to fix marksmanship issues when an ACT will do, ESPECIALLY when the rifle is equipped with a red dot and not a highly magnified optic. It's like recommending a tuned 1911 for pistol marksmanship. I lucked out on my LMT unit which breaks around 5-6 lb with no grittiness. I've felt others "mil-spec" triggers from cheap LPKs which were terrible in that regard.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you buy it from Primary Arms?  They are running a 25% off Geissele deal for Memorial day weekend. I think the SSA is $165.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Did you buy it from Primary Arms?  They are running a 25% off Geissele deal for Memorial day weekend. I think the SSA is $165.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's where I got it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Single Stage = JP
Two Stage = LaRue MBT
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm sure you'll like it (that's the problem ) but I usually try not to recommend someone to get a $200 trigger as a crutch to fix marksmanship issues when an ACT will do, ESPECIALLY when the rifle is equipped with a red dot and not a highly magnified optic. It's like recommending a tuned 1911 for pistol marksmanship. I lucked out on my LMT unit which breaks around 5-6 lb with no grittiness. I've felt others "mil-spec" triggers from cheap LPKs which were terrible in that regard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can group pretty good(for a rack grade rifle shooting M193) but I feel the trigger is holding me back some.  Rifle just has stock iron sights. Now you have me thinking that I should cancel the order and just go with the ACT to remove the grit and see if that makes things feel better. I just figured go with the Giessele since some say the ACT aren't going to be better than a "good" mil spec trigger and there will be a difference with the SSA.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

that's where I got it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's where I got it.

Can't go wrong at that price.

And if for some crazy reason you don't like it, you shouldn't lose much, if any money selling it in the EE.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I can group pretty good(for a rack grade rifle shooting M193) but I feel the trigger is holding me back some.  Rifle just has stock iron sights. Now you have me thinking that I should cancel the order and just go with the ACT to remove the grit and see if that makes things feel better. I just figured go with the Giessele since some say the ACT aren't going to be better than a "good" mil spec trigger and there will be a difference with the SSA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will be able to get your money back plus a few $$ if you decide that you do not like the SSA because of the discount you bought it at.  People grab them at a 15% off list when they are For sale in the EE.  There is a big difference between a SSA 2 stage compared to a ACT.  The ACT is just like a stock/ mil spec trigger but smoother.  Not sure if you have shot 2 stage triggers before is why I mention the difference.  I own and have used a lot of the popular triggers (almost all Gessele offerings, Larue MBT, CMC single stage, Velocity, ACT, Palmetto polished and a few others).  A good option that is almost identical to a ACT is the Palmetto polished trigger for $29.  I can't tell the difference between my ACT triggers and my Palmetto polished.  This is a great option for a smoother mil spec trigger.  The CMC and Velocity are very nice lighter pull weight single stage triggers.  The Larue MBT and SSA are great options for 2 stage triggers.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You will be able to get your money back plus a few $$ if you decide that you do not like the SSA because of the discount you bought it at.  People grab them at a 15% off list when they are For sale in the EE.  There is a big difference between a SSA 2 stage compared to a ACT.  The ACT is just like a stock/ mil spec trigger but smoother. Not sure if you have shot 2 stage triggers before is why I mention the difference. I own and have used a lot of the popular triggers (almost all Gessele offerings, Larue MBT, CMC single stage, Velocity, ACT, Palmetto polished and a few others).  A good option that is almost identical to a ACT is the Palmetto polished trigger for $29.  I can't tell the difference between my ACT triggers and my Palmetto polished.  This is a great option for a smoother mil spec trigger.  The CMC and Velocity are very nice lighter pull weight single stage triggers.  The Larue MBT and SSA are great options for 2 stage triggers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will be able to get your money back plus a few $$ if you decide that you do not like the SSA because of the discount you bought it at.  People grab them at a 15% off list when they are For sale in the EE.  There is a big difference between a SSA 2 stage compared to a ACT.  The ACT is just like a stock/ mil spec trigger but smoother. Not sure if you have shot 2 stage triggers before is why I mention the difference. I own and have used a lot of the popular triggers (almost all Gessele offerings, Larue MBT, CMC single stage, Velocity, ACT, Palmetto polished and a few others).  A good option that is almost identical to a ACT is the Palmetto polished trigger for $29.  I can't tell the difference between my ACT triggers and my Palmetto polished.  This is a great option for a smoother mil spec trigger.  The CMC and Velocity are very nice lighter pull weight single stage triggers.  The Larue MBT and SSA are great options for 2 stage triggers.

I've only ever shot standard Mil spec triggers. Some I've had have been ok other than the weight and some have been pretty bad due a combination of the weight and slop. I can live with a little bit of grit but in other guns I've found I can shoot better with lower pull weights.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:22:09 PM EDT
[#18]
A local gun shop is pushing the McCormick triggers pretty hard. I had one years ago and liked it. While I like the Geissele triggers a lot for CMC's price it might be worth picking up another one. (On principle I'm not putting a Geissele in an Anderson lower...)
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:44:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Tried all the options listed.

Larue MBT. That thing just feels right.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:38:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SSA is a 2 stage trigger and the ACT is single stage. I have SSA's on 2 of my guns and really like them as I prefer a 2 stage trigger, but I just put together a budget build using an ALG QMS trigger (a "down grade" from the ACT) and was pretty  impressed. No creep, no grittiness, just a nice clean break.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 2:03:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Other than standard I've only used the MBT. Nice trigger in my limited experience. I really like the Stag for a std trigger.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 5:05:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Went ahead and ordered an SSA. If I like it I'm sure there will be more coming to outfit my other guns. I have aftermarket triggers in my 700 and my M&P's but have never pulled the trigger on one for an AR.
View Quote

You may as well go ahead and order 'em now.  I have an SSA-E and LOVE the thing!
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 7:09:16 AM EDT
[#23]
POF over any other, the 3.5 edm trigger and the 4.5 lb drop in units are amazing.....seriously.

On sale for $149 with kns pins most of the time
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 7:14:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just do informal target shooting and want something better than stock but still reliable enough for defensive use if the time came. I would also like something slightly lighter than the stock trigger but not so light that it's unreliable with all primers or unsafe in a high stress situation. I've been looking at the Geissele SSA, the Larue MBT, and the ALG ACT. I know the ALG isn't at the same level as the other two but threw it in there because of it's price point and some of the reviews that it's noticeable better than a stock trigger and since I have two rifles to outfit and could get two of the ACT for the price of one of the others.
View Quote

If the price of the SSA is keeping you from buying it go for the G2S, they are just as good....
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:16:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have SSA-E and SD-E
Like them both.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#26]
I have 2 different Geissle triggers and several ALG-Acts. Recently I bought a RISE trigger for $99 and is my new go to trigger. I compared it side by side with my Geissle triggers and it is just as smooth. I really like this trigger.
I got it from Aim Surplus.

I'm not connected to them or anybody that sells them.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#27]
If reliability is the strongest motivator I would buy the ALG trigger.
If the trigger weight is more important to you I would buy an SSA from G-Auto.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I have two Larue MBTs, two Geissele G2S, and two ALG ACT triggers.  The ALG is a fine single stage combat trigger.  The G2S is a very sweet two stage, and at this early stage of my MBT testing, I prefer the G2S.  I haven't tested them side by side at the range, but hope to by the end of the week.  I do really like the feel on the finger tip of the wide Larue MBT.  Things may change.  

I say try them all.  Sell what you don't want on the EE.  I also find it helps to keep things straight if you use a label maker and put what type of trigger you installed on your trigger guard.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#29]

There were some great prices on the Geissele's over the weekend.  I wanted to order another Hi-Speed Match, but decided to hold off for awhile.

Personally I use MBT's now, the only G's I'm spending the extra $ on is the Hi-Speed line.

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

What do your current groups look like? For a rack grade rifle (not Colt HBAR) with plinking ammo and iron sights I would say ~3" at 100 is normal.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What do your current groups look like? For a rack grade rifle (not Colt HBAR) with plinking ammo and iron sights I would say ~3" at 100 is normal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With PPU M193 and Wolf Gold I'm usually around 3-4" at 100yds. This is with a 20" PSA CHF and a CMMG 20".
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:30:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I just grabbed an SSA-E during the sale days for a MK12 build, tossed it my current AR and love it. Taking it to the range tomorrow for testing and shenanigans to make sure everything's good to go before a class. But overall I think Geissele got my vote for all future triggers in my AR's.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Sionics Enhanced Mil-Spec trigger is nice.  Similar to the ACT but a few bucks cheaper (not figuring sale prices in).  I have one and really like it.  Easily the best mil-spec trigger I've used and felt better than an ALG QMS side by side.  Just another option to consider.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#34]
just an update. I got the rifle out to test the trigger and I'm pretty impressed, much better than the stock trigger. Only bad thing is now I'm going to have to put one in my other guns since I don't think I'll be able to live with the stock triggers anymore.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Like I said, the Geissele is going to "feel" better. The only way to tell if it's actually making a difference in your shooting is to shoot more groups and compare. I have a feeling that there won't be much of an improvement.

More groups with my stock trigger. Curt never even handled or dry fired my gun before and shot the 1st group cold bore. I then shot the second on the right target and he shot the last (#2).

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#36]
For a everyday shooter you did very good. There is no better for an everyday shooter
at that price.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Like I said, the Geissele is going to "feel" better. The only way to tell if it's actually making a difference in your shooting is to shoot more groups and compare. I have a feeling that there won't be much of an improvement.

More groups with my stock trigger. Curt never even handled or dry fired my gun before and shot the 1st group cold bore. I then shot the second on the right target and he shot the last (#2).

http://i.imgur.com/pJkU6Ul.jpg
View Quote

it probably won't make much difference but it sure is nice to not have to put as much effort into making the gun go off. I had two guns out today that were the same except for the trigger and I was able to shoot strings easier with the SSA equipped rifle.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#38]
SSA-E is the bees knees
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Take many of the ALG ACT reviews with a grain of salt.  When compared to similar triggers (as in "stock" triggers), it's vastly superior.  Out of the box it is smoother, crisper, and lighter feeling than any new stock trigger could ever be.  Most of the "Meh" reviews are comparisons of a smooth, single-stage trigger with two-stage triggers.  That's apples to antelopes, not apples to apples.

I have two ALG ACTs and they are excellent for what they are: extra smooth and crisp standard-type AR triggers.  I also have an SSA-E; it is exceptionally smooth, light but not too light, and it has a distinct "spot" where you feel the second stage.  It is more of a precision trigger, while the ACT is a general purpose trigger.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Other than standard I've only used the MBT. Nice trigger in my limited experience. I really like the Stag for a std trigger.
View Quote

I put a Stag lower parts kit in a build knowing that I would be changing The fcg. I am going to leave it as is.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 3:34:11 AM EDT
[#41]
I have the ACT, SSA, and G2S. All of them are fine triggers depending if you are 2 or 1 stage guy. That being said I bought a PSA nickel teflon trigger for $30 and I was amazed how crisp it was. It blew away the act and the qms which I've installed for my friends.

The break was nice clean and resets short and tactile as well. For 30 bucks try it out.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#42]
I put a Stag lower parts kit in a build knowing that I would be changing The fcg. I am going to leave it as is.
View Quote

I found the same thing with the Stag Arms FCG.  Add a spring kit and it might be even or better to the ALG Defense ACT trigger.  Yes, I own both so I could compare.  I like ALG for the color
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Im pretty impressed with the 3lb Velocity trigger so far, especially for its price point compared to others
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
SSA-E is the bees knees
View Quote

My favorite.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
SSA-E is the bees knees
View Quote

This ^^^^^
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Once you resolve the gritty issue and decide how much creep and overtravel you are willing to accept,  the issue then becomes how will you use the rifle.

For duty or home defense, exclusively you probably don't want to go below 4 to 4.5 pounds.

For precision and target work exclusively a very light single stage trigger may be best.

For general purposes, a two stage trigger with around 4.5 lbs total pull through is a good choice.  That is often the SSA or MBT.

For a bit higher precision, while still safe, a 3.5 lb two stage is a step up.  That is the SSA-E, my choice.  Love that very crisp 1.2 lb. second stage.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
SSA and call it a day.
View Quote

This....
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I have had an SSA and G2S but they have been swapped out with CMC flat 3.5# trigger blocks. They are excellent triggers for the money and have no take up as well as break like glass(especially with a good trigger grease like Tetra gun grease). Have 4 of the flat ones in 4 carbines now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#49]
The SSA is a great trigger.  With that being said, the Wilson Combat TTU is the best trigger I have ever used and the only one I run in my rifles.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#50]

The SSA is a 2 stage trigger and the ACT is single stage. I have SSA's on 2 of my guns and really like them as I prefer a 2 stage trigger, but I just put together a budget build using an ALG QMS trigger (a "down grade" from the ACT) and was pretty  impressed. No creep, no grittiness, just a nice clean break.
View Quote

I 100% agree with the above statement.  I have a milspec PSA trigger, an ALG QMS trigger and a Geissele SSA.  The milspec is heavy, feels a little rough, and works fine.  The QMS has a noticeably cleaner & more predictable break, and is very slightly lighter than the milspec.  The SSA is a night and day improvement over the others.  It's amazing how much the 2-stage trigger helps me mentally prepare my shot, and in rapid fire you don't even notice the 2 stages.  I'm extremely happy with it, though I wouldn't mind trying the Larue MBT at the price it's available for now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top