Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2016 2:41:56 PM EDT
I recently bought 2 NiB BCGs for a couple builds, my first venture into NiB. I only bought them for looks. Anyways, the first one I used in a NiB upper and it was tight in the upper (saw another member here post same issue recently) I swapped it with a regular PSA bcg from a PSA upper and each fit fine in the opposite uppers. I went ahead with the build with the NiB upper with NiB bcg, at first I had to keep using the forward assist to get it fully into battery, after a little braek in I still have to use it like once a mag. I know it's because of the tight fit and I may take some fine sandpaper to the contact areas on the carrier.
The second one, I tried to drop the NiB bcg into the upper and it simply wouldn't go (anodised upper) I figured out it was the gas tube it was hanging up on. I read somewhere that NiB adds .006 to the surface, so I guess it makes stuff to tight. I took a little sandpaper to the gas tube until it was still snug but would at least go together. It seemed to break in and function now.
For me at least I'm not going to buy any more NiB BCGs.
Has anybody else had this many issues with NiB?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a name brand nib Bcg. First one the bolt was machined poorly. Visible defects to the naked eye. They replaced the whole assembly. The second one had visible defects under the coating. Third time was a charm.
Nothing against the niB coating, more irritated about spending about $150 on a Bcg, that doesn't do anything better than my $79 Bcg.
It's does look good though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#2]
No issues with the aim NiB BCG I got for my stainless barreled psa upper.  Nice looking setup but the BCG was permanently dis colored after the first 100 rounds
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 2 PSA BCG's that I bought when they had them on sale for $ 89 dollars a year or so ago. They are both flawless and run fine in an Aero precision upper and a CMMG upper.  I run my guns wet and when you wipe them down at the end of the day they look brand new.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Bought one from a well known company and sponsor here.  Paid $179 for it.  Actually bought 3.  One developed a discoloration on the bolt.  It appeared the coating was coming off.  The company promptly replaced it.  I have had no issues with the replacement or the other 2.

I have not bought any more.  Buy BCM BCG's now.  Yes they cost a little more but they are great quality.  I don't think NiB is all its cracked up to be.  I did purchase an AIM Nitride that is really nice and holding up well.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Several of my NiB BCG have discolored, (AIM & Palmetto) so cosmetic wise I'm disappointed, but function wise they still seem to run great!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Two AIM BCG-X NIB, no issues. I use Rotella 10w30 synthetic as lube and when I clean them they look like new.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No issues with the aim NiB BCG I got for my stainless barreled psa upper.  Nice looking setup but the BCG was permanently dis colored after the first 100 rounds
View Quote

They clean up to as-new cosmetics with some Brasso and elbow grease.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#9]
No problems with WMD NiB-X.  Smooth, cleans easily.  No flaking, chipping, peeling or such.  It is finally developing a slight satin bronze patina, but otherwise looks new at a bit over 2000 rounds.

I use a very light coat of pure synthetic motor oil.  Just a few drops. Recent pic. I do not shoot suppressed.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#10]
i had a JD brand upper that itself is tight with all BCG's.

also have 3 NiB BCG's, fail zero, spikes and WMD. all 3 are perfect in other uppers.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#11]
The brand is key.  There are crap jobs and then there are fail zero/wmd coatings that are high end.  All Nib coatings are not the same.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:05:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought 6 from Aim and had no problems.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:24:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought an NP3 from Wilson a few years ago.  It flaked and the flakes caused the bolt to jam in the breach on two trips to the range.  Wilson wanted me to ship it back at my expense and said it was common but would resolve itself with use.  They said the flakes were coming from under the bolt rings.  I cleand it up and ran itin a upper that was looser tolerences and it has not been an issue.  That is the last purchase i have made from Wilson.  The most recent NIB is a LW AIM and it works great.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:07:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I had an issue with an AIM Surplus NiB version, when it started flaking/chipping. But that was with a PSA "freedom" upper that was headspaced WAY too tight. I've since had that upper re barreled (on PSA dime, since it was faulty), but it's still on the tight side. Not a fault of Aim's NiB at all. I still use the bolt carrier group (despite it missing the NiB on the bolt lug face) and it works fine.
I'm not a huge fan of NiB however, I like Nitride personally (having used both).
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:03:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got one from AIM. That is two years old and has about 2500 rounds through it.  It's discolored but I expected that with use.  But the bottom of it does seem to have some lifting of the coating.  I was thinking about contacting aim but it's not like I bought it yesterday.  Only sees the range and no FA or mag dumps, use it in my noveske spr
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Well I have one on the way from PSA right now, hopefully it's good!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've got one from AIM. That is two years old and has about 2500 rounds through it.  It's discolored but I expected that with use.  But the bottom of it does seem to have some lifting of the coating.  I was thinking about contacting aim but it's not like I bought it yesterday.  Only sees the range and no FA or mag dumps, use it in my noveske spr
View Quote

My buddy has one from AIM, there are a couple spots on it where the coating has been knocked off. It started on the first time he took it out. Fired through a few mags and checked his BCG, already flaking off.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I recently bought 2 NiB BCGs for a couple builds, <snip>
View Quote

What brand? I like many others here have an inexpensive AIM that has served me well so far.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I used a WMD NiB-x assembly in my last AR, a PSA. The first shot through it, it failed to go completely into battery. For the next 5,000 rounds, not a single malfunction. Easy to clean, looked nice, definitely less gritty if I forgot to bring lubrication. That being said, I run a BCM in my BCM upper now. no problems there either.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Spikes.... Only issue which is kind of a non issue.  The bolt gets sticky in the upper when dirty and the lube has dried/run off.  A few drops of lube it becomes free again but this only happens when it is dirty 2-300+ dirty.  I shoot Russian dirty ammo.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#21]
i have a Rainier in my M4, its operated flawlessly. 1000s of rounds
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I have no experience with nickel boron, but I've heard that Hoppe's #9 can affect it and that's my go-to so I won't buy one.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 5:38:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Ive used an AIM 9310 NiB bolt in an 8.5" 5.56 and in a 14.5" middy, worked well but flaked off on the upper carrier rails.

My Failzero M16 cut BCG is much slicker, shinier and wear resistant. It lives in my BCM middy. No reliability issues with either. Got the FZ for $99 on Black Friday last year.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well I have one on the way from PSA right now, hopefully it's good!
View Quote

I hope so as well.  Mine is on the way as well.  I bought it because of the finish and hopefully easier clean up.  Mine is going in an Aero upper, hope it fits right.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have no experience with nickel boron, but I've heard that Hoppe's #9 can affect it and that's my go-to so I won't buy one.
View Quote

Hoppes #9 has ammonia, which will affect nickel, but only if you soak it.  If you are just wiping it off, there will be no problem.  I tested nickel plated  ammo cases in Hoppes.  I handload those cases.  I saw no evidence of harm to the finish unless they soaked over night.  These BCGs just wipe clean.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I only use clp to clean mine because I was hoping it wouldn't discolor, did anyway so maybe that wasn't the right was to go
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use H-9 almost exclusively too, and it has never affected my Fail Zero NiB BCG.  While I don't soak any of my parts in H-9, I do usually wipe down many of the components...including the BCG...with a soft, clean rag dampened with H-9.  Other than the bore, which gets a decently wet patch of H-9, I use H-9 rather sparingly as a cleaner.  A slightly wet toothbrush or gun specific brush with H-9 is often used for dirtier, carboned components, but it is always immediately wiped or Q-tipped away.  I don't like leaving harsh solvents on components any longer than I have to, except maybe in cases of carb cleaner soaking for carbs and carb parts that are badly varnished.  Even then you have to watch out for any rubber or fragile pieces.  I would think most folks who soak their BCG's are probably removing the extractor o-ring(s), but maybe they're designed to hold up to very harsh solvents.  I don't pull my extractor and o-ring on every cleaning, but when I do I clean the o-ring with a clean oily gun patch.  Probably being overly cautious.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#28]
3 AIM units here. No problems.  Would prefer nitride but were always OOS when I buying.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Myself, momentarily (inside of the first 100 rounds) with a pre-Torx screw attached key Spikes. However, that BCG has thousands of rounds on it now. I have replaced the Exctractor spring, ring, and insert. It doesn't look NiB anymore, but it has been a great BCG.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Close to my first 1k rounds through my AIM Nib bcg, no issues yet, finish looks as good as new physically, has some staining, lube is Mobil 1 full synthetic. Functioning flawlessly.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#31]
My Lantac E-BCG  has functioned with zero issues in my 16" rifle gas dissipator build. It was originally a 20" BCM upper that I chopped down to 16" and opened the gas port just a hair. It functioned fine before I opened the port up, but only if I shouldered it very tightly. If I held the rifle loosely and fired it, it would sometimes not lock the bolt back on an empty mag. It probably would've worn the port naturally to where it would've been fine without opening it up, but I did it anyway. And I didn't buy the NiB BCG for looks, but, unlike many others posting, I love the darkened look it's getting as I've used it. Probably somewhere around 4500+ rounds through it so far, and not one single issue with flaking or galling, or anything else relating to problems with the NiB coating. Even with close to 5k rounds now, even the bolt face and back of the lugs look great, although have darkened in color quite a bit, which again, I like. Also, with the round count so high, it's gotta be the smoothest "feeling" upper I currently own. Lovin' it so far...
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 12:58:34 AM EDT
[#32]
They stain, and look like smashed assholes when you shoot suppressed, but...no problems with the 2 I have.

Go chrome

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 3:16:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Will other NiB parts stain also? I built a m4 with NiB upper, buffer tube, delta ring, handguard cap, fsb and flash hider. Looks cool now, but is it going to look like shit later?
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Flash hider may stain a bit, the other stuff I highly doubt. Its hot carbon that seems to stain it IMO.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#35]
I had a weak extractor spring on a Daniel Defense BCG.

Spring replaced and 1 total malfunction on that SBR 4K later.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Hey Alaska...I've had most every BCG at this point except Ti and chrome.  Do the chrome versions not "ever" stain?  I was wondering if our black phosphate, melonite, and other black BCG's are actually staining to some degree, but we don't notice because it's dark on dark color and not easy to detect.  I can kind of see chrome being stain resistant because at the molecular level the plating process is almost impervious to exterior elements.  I know chrome plate can be a little brittle compared to some plates and treatment, but apparently with the proper additives/alloys, it's malleable enough and tough enough to function in a BCG.  And I guess like any treatment, and maybe more importantly with NiB, it's the quality and effectiveness of the process that makes it work and last.  

My first AR15 is an LWRC M6A2-S that comes with LWRC's own NiB BCG...a beautifully finished part.  It probably has more rounds through it than my other AR15's at this point.  It still looks new after cleaning.  My Fail Zero NiB now looks a tiny bit duller than it did when new, but it doesn't have stains, streaks, or anything specifically noticeable.  In fact, I don't think anyone who hadn't seen the FZ BCG new would even realize that there's a slight dulling from the blingy goldish sheen that it had when brand new.  So far I'm happy as heck with my two NiB BCG's.  I can feel the difference in hand cycling with my FZ over my melonite and phosphate BCG's, and I promise it's not a placebo effect.  On the other hand I'm not having any issues at all with my phosphate and melonite BCG's either so not much to complain about with any of these.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 2:33:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Alaska511......"smashed assholes".......thats a new one I'll have to remember!   My uncle use to "hammered dog shit"......another good descriptive phrase!  
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 7:38:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Hey Alaska...I've had most every BCG at this point except Ti and chrome.  Do the chrome versions not "ever" stain?  I was wondering if our black phosphate, melonite, and other black BCG's are actually staining to some degree, but we don't notice because it's dark on dark color and not easy to detect.  I can kind of see chrome being stain resistant because at the molecular level the plating process is almost impervious to exterior elements.  I know chrome plate can be a little brittle compared to some plates and treatment, but apparently with the proper additives/alloys, it's malleable enough and tough enough to function in a BCG.  And I guess like any treatment, and maybe more importantly with NiB, it's the quality and effectiveness of the process that makes it work and last.  

My first AR15 is an LWRC M6A2-S that comes with LWRC's own NiB BCG...a beautifully finished part.  It probably has more rounds through it than my other AR15's at this point.  It still looks new after cleaning.  My Fail Zero NiB now looks a tiny bit duller than it did when new, but it doesn't have stains, streaks, or anything specifically noticeable.  In fact, I don't think anyone who hadn't seen the FZ BCG new would even realize that there's a slight dulling from the blingy goldish sheen that it had when brand new.  So far I'm happy as heck with my two NiB BCG's.  I can feel the difference in hand cycling with my FZ over my melonite and phosphate BCG's, and I promise it's not a placebo effect.  On the other hand I'm not having any issues at all with my phosphate and melonite BCG's either so not much to complain about with any of these.
View Quote

That pic was after a suppressed shoot on the chrome.  i forget the round count that day, but I believe it to be 500 suppressed on that DD chrome BCG.

It has made me a believer.  It is (slightly) unfortunate that DD does not make FA chrome BCGs, but with all the springs and Adj GBs out there, the FA cut thing just means less and less to me.  With a can in place, they are so freaking overgassed any way.

The 2 WMD I have did not stain until I used the suppressor.

The stains mean little, as far as function.  They still feel slick, and work just fine.

My phosphate BCGs far outnumber my others, and work perfectly.  I just like how the chrome stands up to the suppressed abuse.  If I had to go out during the apocalypse, I would feel better with it in there :D
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:16:50 AM EDT
[#40]
I got one from a small maker in Pa. , it replaced my LMT enhanced BCG, that was a leap of faith.

Flawless and super easy to clean , very smooth.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#41]
They are great until it all flakes off.

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#42]
No problems for me with:

Failzero (3)

WMD (2)

AIM (1)

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

http://s26.postimg.org/aerqae455/screenshot_115.jpg
View Quote

Function ok?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Function ok?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Function ok?

No problem.  But then, this isn't a critical tolerance area.  I could not see how bad the gas ring area was.  This area gets beat up by the rotating bolt a little.  

WMD reluctantly replaced it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No problem.  But then, this isn't a critical tolerance area.  I could not see how bad the gas ring area was.  This area gets beat up by the rotating bolt a little.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Function ok?

Good to hear they took care of you.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top