BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/27/2016 9:54:51 AM EDT
A local shop has a rack full of Bushmaster M4s (carry handle uppers) that were traded in by a big PD.  Barrels are 14.5 with pinned/welded YHM flash hiders and the lowers are stamped RESTRICED FOR MILITARY AND LAW ENFORCEMENT.

Cosmetically, I saw prettier rifles in the military that had seen action on the Ho Chi Minh trail, but they let me break a few open--carried a lot and fired a little.  Bolts, bores, hammers and carriers all show minimal wear.  I have rifles with less than a thousand rounds through them that look worse.

Shop is asking $459 for these---and they have a lay-away program.  Is this a good price for a beater/truck gun, or pass?

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a good deal for a truck gun
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#2]
In my opinion, yes. I would buy one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd say that's a pretty good price.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#4]
For the price yes.

Being A2's those are probably Wyndham Bushies so they're made well.

I would fo.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I would have to buy one or two at that price.

I like the look of a beat up 727.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Check the BCG for proper staking and black extractor spring insert. All the old Bushies I've ever seen lacked both. Obviously, not a dealbreaker, just an easy upgrade.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I have no shortage of AR's but I'd buy one at that price.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#8]
One fitty.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For the price yes.

Being A2's those are probably Wyndham Bushies so they're made well.

I would fo.
View Quote

Yep, take a little Krylon to them and make you a nice rattle can paint job truck gun.  I have several with that same upper.  Great barrels...!

Edit...check the barrels, see if they are 1 x 7 twist.  Mine are..
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#10]
A1 or A2 Upper? They made them both ways.

I'd pull the upper off- either A1 or A2 will bring $100 if not beat to crap. Then, buy a blem flat top for $40- there are MANY available from various sources. Voila- you just drove down the cost of your rifle by $60 AND can now easily mount optics etc....since the gun is a little beat up, the blem makes no difference. Hit it with rattle can and good to go.

That is what I would do. $400 Factory Made AR......
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#11]
A2 upper, not a removable carry handle?

I'd buy one in a minute.

I'm looking to build the same rifle and it's going to cost more than $450.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#13]
With lay a way? I'd buy 4 at that price.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Email me the shop.... seriously. I want one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your IM box is full and your settings don't allow site generated emails.

Lawmen's Safety Supply in Columbia SC.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Are you sure they are pinned and welded? LEO would not have to be pinned. And I've never seen a factory pinned bushy with a yhm, all I've seen was their "Izzy" flash hider they seemed to pin onto everything. It would not surprise me if a gun shop did not know the law or not notice the short barrels.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In my opinion, yes. I would buy one four.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:04:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Just got off the phone with 'em.

Good news.

They're for $455 plus $30 shipping. They are A2 Fixed Carry Handles for sure. They aren't police surplus but from a Security Company that works at a Nuc Plant.

Now the bad news.

They are LE/Mil sales only. Unless ypu have LE Creds or Mil ID. No go on the sale.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They are LE/Mil sales only. Unless ypu have LE Creds or Mil ID. No go on the sale.
View Quote

They have the happy fun switch, then?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Overtime workin sucka, I'll bet you already have a safe filled with them!  

Not that I'm jealous about where you work versus my slice of "heaven"....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Overtime workin sucka, I'll bet you already have a safe filled with them!  

Not that I'm jealous about where you work versus my slice of "heaven"....

I wish.....

No overtime for me. My agency flexes me out. I work extra hours one week, work less the next.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh goodie, another one of THOSE gunshops
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I seriously doubt it, especially if they only require ID, and it's open to military.

Lawmen's is a police supply chain; they restrict sales on some of their stuff by choice.

Damn, this is tempting.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I called the Lawmen's in Raleigh and asked if they had any of these.

The guy said he's expecting some trade-in bushie M4's w/ flip up rear sights in about a week or so that will be selling for $556.  He said they are used and didn't know where they were coming from.  He said that none of them are M4A2s so probably a different batch then the ones down in SC.

I might pick one of these up and I'll post pics.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Guys, I'm sorry if I got anyone's hopes up.  I had no idea they were LE/MIL only.  I dropped by the store to pick up some HST 9mm in LE bulk boxes.  They didn't ask to see my creds when I checked out with my ammo or when I asked to inspect one of the carbines.

I guess I still have 'The Look' even though I retired almost 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
One fitty.
View Quote

Fo, then resell it during the next panic for $1500
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Are you sure they are pinned and welded? LEO would not have to be pinned. And I've never seen a factory pinned bushy with a yhm, all I've seen was their "Izzy" flash hider they seemed to pin onto everything. It would not surprise me if a gun shop did not know the law or not notice the short barrels.
View Quote

sure they would pin and weld them to avoid the hassle of NFA registration. They did not have to pay the tax but they still have to go do all the NFA paperwork
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#30]
well that is a little distressing to hear that a nuclear plant was being guarded with Bushmaster rifles. I would not pay $300 for one when I would just throw the barrel and the bolt carrier group and the upper hand the receiver extension in the garbage where they belong.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:38:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

well that is a little distressing to hear that a nuclear plant was being guarded with Bushmaster rifles. I would not pay $300 for one when I would just throw the barrel and the bolt carrier group and the upper hand the receiver extension in the garbage where they belong.
View Quote
Bushmaster back in the 1990s made good stuff. Other than weakly staked BCG screws. The damn rifles were fine.

ARs used be to be graded by the list.

Amralite

Bushmaster

Colt

Anything else was shit.

An LE Only AWB era Bushy is a dsmn fine rifle.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:07:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Even if they were newer Bushmaster's, there is likely nothing wrong with them. I bought a new one 2 years ago. It currently has had about 4.5k rounds run through it, and as best as i can recall, it hasn't had a single failure. The point is, just don't buy into the hype that all newer Bushmasters are bad. If they are used, just make sure to inspect before you buy.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 6:53:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 6:57:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Bushmaster back in the 1990s made good stuff. Other than weakly staked BCG screws. The damn rifles were fine.    

Amralite
Bushmaster
Colt

Anything else was shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amralite
Bushmaster
Colt

Anything else was shit.

Yeah, they were alright if you liked maybe  223 chambered barrel marked 556, maybe not having a gas port, canted FSB all over the place, action springs w of random numbers of coils and strength, commercial spec rec extensions not staked, bolts not made of carpenter 158, extractors not made of proper tool steel or shot peened, no HPT/MPI.    The only parts the got right were the cosmetic blem receivers from CMT that Colt rejected.  

Armalite were better, probably much better than BM, but not nearly as good as colts.  

I think it is nostalgia that obfuscates the fact that BMs were shit.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:58:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I seriously doubt it, especially if they only require ID, and it's open to military.

Lawmen's is a police supply chain; they restrict sales on some of their stuff by choice.

Damn, this is tempting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, this is tempting.

Damnit there has got to be something the the civil rights bill that can be used to force a company to sell a product to someone not in the government class. I tell you its pure discrimination
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:49:48 AM EDT
[#37]
i believe these are the rifles traded in by Duke Energy from the Oconee Nuclear Station. They may look rough but don't have a whole lot of use on them. They are NOT FA rifles.

i have friends and family that work there.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

i believe these are the rifles traded in by Duke Energy from the Oconee Nuclear Station. They may look rough but don't have a whole lot of use on them. They are NOT FA rifles.

i have friends and family that work there.
View Quote
They are.... I spoke to the boss in the Columbus SC Store and she said they were surplus froma Nuke Power Plant.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

The "old" Bushmaster use to pin and weld YHM flash hiders exclusively (very nice job as well).  Over time they came out with their own brand of flash hider  which the sell as the "IZZY".  All my Bushmasters had YHM flash hiders.

Bushmaster barrels were very well made.  I have upgraded mine with DD Bolt carries and milspec buffer tubes....
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Were the y comp and mini y comp made by yhm? I thought they predated bushmaster's involvement with yhm?
View Quote

Yes the y comp and mini y comp were made by YHM also, along with the Phantom FH.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The "old" Bushmaster use to pin and weld YHM flash hiders exclusively (very nice job as well).  Over time they came out with their own brand of flash hider  which the sell as the "IZZY".  All my Bushmasters had YHM flash hiders.

Bushmaster barrels were very well made.  I have upgraded mine with DD Bolt carries and milspec buffer tubes....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In '96 I bought an A2 rifle upper with the 'National Match' fluted HBAR. That was when I could still halfway see, and with the irons I could punch out a 1.5" hole at 100 with M855. I sure would like to have that barrel back. Those BMs were generally good guns. I would buy several of those A2s the OP mentioned if I had a use for them. Probably get 10 for $3500 cash. Might be worth $900 each in a few years.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct.  And I believe it was called the Izzy after their LE/Gov sales guy names Israel
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Has anyone actually bought one of these? Anyone other than the OP look at them?
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 3:59:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#47]

Here is what they sent me when I asked for a pic of the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#48]
FO NOW!
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
FO NOW!
View Quote

I'm very tempted.  I need a truck gun.  And I want something to rattle can.

Don't make me do it...
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#50]
I fo'ed
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top