Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2016 9:55:10 PM EDT
Was at a friends house and he showed me some of his bang sticks. He had 2 Olympic Arms Ar's and they seemed tight and well made to me. My question is... I remember some posts about these that weren't very positive but I don't recall the Negatives. T.I.A. short-fuse
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if Tweak is still hanging out here on arfcom but he was around Oly back in the dark ages and he has some SERIOUSLY crazy stories about some of those rifles.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember the complaints on the Oly's as well. Im too old to remember what they were though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#3]
They made some cast lowers in the 90s, that's about all I know
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Heck I even remember Corey.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#6]
That did it. Now I remember. That was a very bad time in the AR World. Wow!
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:38:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I forgot about them, I attended an oly appreciation day back in '03-04. Toured there shops, shot guns and ate bbq.

One of my buddies won a rifle from them, can't recall any issues with it. I've never owned anything of theirs though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Back in the day I bought my son an Oly PCR00 for his eleventh birthday.  It has a very heavy barrel profile under the handguards and it is a tack driver!
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:54:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an A1 version. Old as who wrote it, like me. Loyal, accurate, reliable, and at times a bit ornery,,,,,,,,wait that is me.

Nice rifle IMHO, just not one of the high end sought after ones. Well, didn't used t be.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:37:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I have an Olympic 16 inch barrel carbine in 7.62x39 I bought about 4 years ago and it's been great. Very accurate and reliable with my ASC mags.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:46:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I just helped a friend of mine assemble an AR on an early 2000's Oly lower. Magwell looked like it was hogged out with a rotozip and finished with dremel sanding drums. Only PMAGS fit. GI mags are tight as shit. Thermolds won't even go in.

The castle nut fits won't fit any tools I own. The stock is beyond wobbly. I'm talking a good 1/4" of play up, down, forward and aft.

Oddly enough, the trigger was the best factory trigger I've felt on an AR. Selector had a real crisp snap to it as well.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#12]
they would have bad runs of parts, but sell them anyway.

They did have problems with the lower magwells on some rifles, not all, but some. When the complaints were made they basically said fuckoff.

They did have some shit barrels in oddball calibers (like using 556 barrels for 5.45) but for the most part their 556 barrels would shoot well. Their 45acp barrels were drilled off center

I know a couple of 556 barrels were complained about, but those seemed to be exceptions.

I bought some of their stuff before I read all the negatives, never had a problem with them except for long shipping times.

They are like dpms, if you get one that works, it will work, but you have a good chance of getting a POS

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Seems like they had a good reputation on the barrels. I had an Olympic barrel on a carbine in 1996 that shot great. It was a 16" fluted HBAR, no chrome. One of my sons still has it, now in a flat top receiver. The flutes on it were very deep, so weight reduction and cooling were good. This picture is not very good but I think you can see the fluting fairly well.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#15]
This was the biggest thing that scared me away from Olympic Arms

Broken AR results in Prison time
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys! I knew you could lead me in the right direction... It's all coming back to me now, They say the 2nd thing to go is the Memory.. Wish I could remember the 1st thing**
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This was the biggest thing that scared me away from Olympic Arms

Broken AR results in Prison time
View Quote
The judge should be removed. Don't think this can't happen with any semi auto. Your favorite pistol, shot gun, or Rem-Chester model XXX .270 "deer" rifle.

I suppose since is was a scary black gun the hysteria that ensued justified the end,,,,,,,,,,,,not really.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought this oly at a pawn shop a few years ago and it's run great ever since I bought it, no issues here

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Isn't it strange that a company that reportedly builds "crap" started in business in the early 1980's and continues to be a viable manufacturer today.  How does that happen?

I can attest that they have made some very accurate barrels over the years.  I own 4 of them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I have owned three Oly parts over the years, never a complete gun.  First got a Oly/SGW stop sign lower back in the mid-late 80s (sn Z prefix)  Only issue was that it wouldn't take the Theramolds I was issued in Germany or PMags.  Sold that XM177E1 copy around 06-07' time frame.  Built a flat top upper for the rifle using an Oly 16" hvy bbl 1:9 twist, shoots very good.  Built another gun around 06' for my youngest son using another used Oly lower.  Same ambi safety from the first one won't fit the newer lower.  Had to big of a gap on the off side.  Tight mag well like the other, no PMags.  Oldest son now has it to pass to his son.

CD
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I remember the word on the street being the barrels were good.  But not so sure about everything else.  A friend from church got one used about 10 years ago this was.  And the upper flopped around on it terribly.  I was not impressed with the fit.  But I never shot it or was at the range with him.  But it would've annoyed the heck out of me how loose this one was.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#22]
IIRC the first time I saw a flat top upper, it was on an Oly Arms Ultramatch.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Bought a carbine new in the box from a dealer at a gun show in  the 90's. Cleaned it, lubed it and shot it with new factory ammo. The thing would not reliably extract. Returned it back to the same dealer for a full refund at the next gun show at the same location. Only later did I find out they were known for having tight chambers. There are to many other options to buy another.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#24]
They were also early producers of pistol caliber uppers (besides colt 9mm of course).

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I wonder if anyone has had any current experiences with their products?  Lots of horror stories from the past, however as technology improves,there is less chance of human error.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I bought a PCR 99 in the middle of the AWB and still use most of its parts.

The lower is on my current HD carbine.  The A2 upper receiver got donated to an A2 build for a friend.  After the ban ended I took the pinned muzzle brake off, threw it away, and sent the barrel to Adco to be threaded.  The barrel's currently on my walk-around woods rifle.  

I threw away the pinned CAR stock after 2004...looking back I may have been able to un-ban it but oh well.  

It was a good purchase; I had no only one problem with the assembled gun or any of it's parts.

Edit to add: the carbine handguards were crap with no steel heat liner; I also threw them away.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Edit to add: the carbine handguards were crap with no steel heat liner; I also threw them away.
View Quote

Early manufacturers that didn't have access to the technical design package specs did their share of reverse engineering, and missed out on the "why" some parts were made the way they were.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:59:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That doesn't explain some of the CRAP they've released, the ONLY companies that have ever has access to the TDP are Colt, FN, Harrington Richardson, General Motors Hydramatic Div., Sabre Defense, and now Remington.

There are many manufacturers who have reverse engineered AR's with outstanding results...

Daniel Defense
Bravo Company
Bushmaster
Even DPMS is within spec
And many others.

Sending out trigger groups where the sear contact area is not fully cast, lower receivers that the safety detent hole is drilled at an angle, selling CAST receivers, lower receivers that Colt uppers won't fit on, and on and on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Early manufacturers that didn't have access to the technical design package specs did their share of reverse engineering, and missed out on the "why" some parts were made the way they were.

That doesn't explain some of the CRAP they've released, the ONLY companies that have ever has access to the TDP are Colt, FN, Harrington Richardson, General Motors Hydramatic Div., Sabre Defense, and now Remington.

There are many manufacturers who have reverse engineered AR's with outstanding results...

Daniel Defense
Bravo Company
Bushmaster
Even DPMS is within spec
And many others.

Sending out trigger groups where the sear contact area is not fully cast, lower receivers that the safety detent hole is drilled at an angle, selling CAST receivers, lower receivers that Colt uppers won't fit on, and on and on.

Heat liners were a premium feature back in the day.  Oly was nowhere near unique in offering unlined HGs.

And, cast receivers were common.  They sold for less, and during AW panics people were glad to get them.  How many failures attributed to being CAST have you seen, anyways?
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:46:01 AM EDT
[#31]
You are right, but your comparators are the next era past Oly Arms. They did "ok" back in the day but no comparison with current manufacturers.
I have a SUM original build that is the most accurate of any of my current portfolio.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:56:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:  And, cast receivers were common.  They sold for less, and during AW panics people were glad to get them.  How many failures attributed to being CAST have you seen, anyways?
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=474563

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#33]
I had one of the old ban ar15 from them. I ran that thing  hard. Sold it to a.buddy who use it.for about 10 years as a duty rifle. He sold it to another cop when he went over seas as a contractor. That guy still has it and qualified at my range last month. It  is chromed out but still runs. It also is still has the original barrel on it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:24:42 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a pre-ban Ultra Match and also a Multi-Match.Both have been excellent.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#35]
I bought a 16" upper at a gun show back in the mid 90's which was manufacture by Olympic.  The carbine hand guards did not have the heat shields and the barrel was unthreaded.  There was a groove cut into the outside of the barrel to help attach muzzle breaks during the AWB.   This barrel along with several other Olympic chrome moly barrels had very tight chambers.  A local dealer got a reamer and fixed the chamber on at least five Olympic 223/5.56 barrels.  A Deputy had a bolt lug break on his 223/5.56 Olympic carbine and Olympic replaced the bolt.

There were several people in my area who bought 9 MM and 40 caliber AR's from Olympic.  Back in the late 80's and early 90's there weren't near as many sources for AR's.  It is really a buyers market now compared to back then.  A local Sheriff's Dept. has a couple of Olympics they issue to Deputy's and once the chambers were reamed they've held up OK.   The examples I've shot were accurate even after reaming the chambers.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top