Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2016 9:50:26 PM EDT
just looking at cam pins in the bolt as replaced some with wear. if you ran a chrome or nic boron one would it last longer or wear the carrier instead? thoughts please.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]
For treatment, I'd look into NP3.
Treatments won't cause extra wear.
I'd also checkout POF's roller cam pin.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:49:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I would just leave them alone.  I am willing to bet the ones you replaced did not need to be replaced.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:22:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
just looking at cam pins in the bolt as replaced some with wear. if you ran a chrome or nic boron one would it last longer or wear the carrier instead? thoughts please.
View Quote

Use moly paste when reassembling the bolt/carrier to slow down the wear.  No idea if using a NiB pin would affect the carrier, probably can't see anyway to really tell.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Does a chrome, Nickel Boron, or NP3 cam pin flake or chip eventually considering it is such a high stress and high wear part?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

i wouldnt think a plated one would last much longer, it would just wear through the plating and then continue into the metal. a Nitrided one might last longer but then you might increase wear on the carrier.

standard cam pins are cheap, by a few and change them out when needed.

as for the POF, near idea but i dont think you can easily get the bolt out without taking the roller apart, right? its just adding complexity to a simple system.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have yet to wear one out, seen em break with poor heat treat.

I still have the original cam pin in a upper thats on its 3rd barrel on a m16
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does a chrome, Nickel Boron, or NP3 cam pin flake or chip eventually considering it is such a high stress and high wear part?
View Quote

None that I've seen.  All of my AR's have wear marks on the cam pin and none of the NiB is chipping or flaking.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#8]
$5 and last in excess of 10,000 rounds. Just me, but longer life is not something I'd worry over.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

i wouldnt think a plated one would last much longer, it would just wear through the plating and then continue into the metal. a Nitrided one might last longer but then you might increase wear on the carrier.

as for the POF, near idea but i dont think you can easily get the bolt out without taking the roller apart, right? its just adding complexity to a simple system.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im running the POF roller and love it, no wear and smooths out the operation noticeably.  The POF roller cam comes with a notched hard chromed gas key that allows the roller cam to be pulled as a normal cam would, also the roller cam can not be dissembled.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

None that I've seen.  All of my AR's have wear marks on the cam pin and none of the NiB is chipping or flaking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.  If it bothers you, just replace the pin.  They are cheap.  My NiB-X (WMD Guns, is showing pretty much the same wear pattern on the pin as phosphate, although less prominent, but with no chipping or peeling whatsoever. I'n seeing no wear whatsoever on any other part of the BCG, only some faint marks on the cam pin at about 2,000 rounds on the WMD.

Wear is not likely to affect functionality.  The concern would be if the pin breaks -- highly unlikely in typical use.

Here is the disassembled BCG at around 2k rounds, I lost count and stopped trying to be exact..  All I see is just slight surface friction marks on the cam pin.  Purely cosmetic at worst.  I realize this is a mere sample of one, but I am happy with it's performance.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't overthink this part.  Inspect it for cracks periodically and keep it lubed, all will be fine.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:12:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Im running the POF roller and love it, no wear and smooths out the operation noticeably.  The POF roller cam comes with a notched hard chromed gas key that allows the roller cam to be pulled as a normal cam would, also the roller cam can not be dissembled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

good info to know. thanks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:20:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would just leave them alone.  I am willing to bet the ones you replaced did not need to be replaced.
View Quote

This right here
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 1:01:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This right here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This right here

Yup.
Keep waiting for that gnarly DD cam pin to break on my suppressed MK18 upper, with uber-gas.  I think it just wore into its happy spot.  Looks horrible
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 1:22:50 AM EDT
[#15]
It probably doesn't make any difference, but my thought is if the coatings/nitriding makes the cam pin harder than the BCG/bolt, you might get the cam pin to wear the other parts instead.  I'd rather wear the pin over the other parts.  It really probably won't make a difference though.

The cam pin in my most-fired AR looks pretty bad, and I never pay attention to which side I install it, and the rifle runs just fine.  A surprising amount of aluminum and a good portion of anodizing are also missing from the inside of the receiver.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#16]
According to this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/677135_High_round_count_AR_M4_s__over_100_000_rounds__and_how_they_have_handled_on_our_range.html

"- The parts that we see break more often are the bolt cam, bolt lugs shearing off, firing pins and gas keys shearing off the bolt carrier. "

It's a very interesting thread.
The bolt cam is the part most likely to wear out first.
The bolt will either break off a lug, or break in half at the cam hole seems to be the next most likely issue.
They finally "wore out" and upper receiver at an estimate > 250K rounds.
They've not worn out any lower receivers, but did put the KNS anti-rotation pins on some (I can't remember why though).
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#17]
There is a difference between wearing in and worn out. I've noticed mine wear to a certain point then stay at that point.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top