Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/28/2016 6:10:35 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I need to get my 14.5" socom barrel pinned and welded with a 4 prong Surefire flash hider. I really don't want to admit how much I spent on that thing but yeah...it was a lot of money. I understand the evidentiary complications that can arise if there is no evidence of a weld but, be that as it may, I still want it to look as invisible as possible.

I have heard ADCO does amazing work but that they actually try to leave evidence of the pin and weld behind. Does anyone know if they can and are willing to do it the way I want? If not, can you guys  recommend someone who is willing and able to make it invisible?

Thanks fellas,

Carlos
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#1]
After having it pinned and welded, take it to any good machinist and they'll be able to make it invisible for you.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Silver solder it?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI.

Turn it then have it parkerized
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#4]
If the weld got good pen, you can make it flush with a file, then finish with super blue. If its a shitty weld it is sitting on the surface and the pin might fall out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Invisible is only possible with $200 and a long wait...

Otherwise, I agree with an above comment. Find a good tool maker/machinist to make her pretty.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Invisible is only possible with $200 and a long wait...

Otherwise, I agree with an above comment. Find a good tool maker/machinist to make her pretty.
View Quote

This. SBR it!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Silver solder it?
View Quote

Or this. I believe it's 1100° silver solder that the ATF also deems acceptable as a "permanent" attachment method.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh no! I knew one of you guys was going to bring up the NFA game....let's just say, I'm not willing to do that quite yet. None of the NFA stories I hear are any good. They all start out with one guy getting a suppressor and invariably end with $30k machine guns and dozens of SBRS.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#9]
why are you asking us?  call/email adco.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I briefly considered silver soldering it but I think it might really f* up the paint job. This block II build is honestly going to be more of a "cool factor" collectible kind of gun than a true work horse. Nothing wrong with that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Oh no! I knew one of you guys was going to bring up the NFA game....let's just say, I'm not willing to do that quite yet. None of the NFA stories I hear are any good. They all start out with one guy getting a suppressor and invariably end with $30k machine guns and dozens of SBRS.
View Quote

The pinning service from ADCO for a SF muzzle device is what... $85 + shipping? Add in more machine work $.... You are already halfway to a tax stamp.

Do it. Resistance is futile.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I briefly considered silver soldering it but I think it might really f* up the paint job. This block II build is honestly going to be more of a "cool factor" collectible kind of gun than a true work horse. Nothing wrong with that.
View Quote

If there is a paint job to mess up, then it can be repainted.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Instruct them to leave the weld a little high and you can easily blend it with a file and touch up the paint
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Who is ADCO and how do I contact them? I tried googling it and got nothing. I need some AR work done. Thanks, Steve
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:27:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Who is ADCO and how do I contact them? I tried googling it and got nothing. I need some AR work done. Thanks, Steve
View Quote

That's too funny.  The owner's name is Steve......  Are you sure your not a shill account?   LOL.  Just kidding.  He wouldn't do that.  

http://www.adcofirearms.com/

I have a 14.7 perm done by them and I never really looked that hard.  Don't really notice it.  I guess I should look sometime.  It's not like it's some huge pin that when you're shooting will blind you and throw you off.  OK, that was probably dramatic.  But it seems like it shouldn't really be a big deal.  Some of you guys act like you want to keep these waxed up and ready to take to a car show and put them on display and oogle them. They're purdy and all, but not that purdy.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I know of a BATF taskforce who locked an upper in a vise and cranked on the muzzle device because it appeared to be a 14.5 unpinned.  They wrecked the upper, which it turned out had been a pinned Bushmaster.  

<snip>

View Quote
Exactly why I like mine to be blatantly obvious. Not that it would stop them from checking.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I know of a BATF taskforce who locked an upper in a vise and cranked on the muzzle device because it appeared to be a 14.5 unpinned.  They wrecked the upper, which it turned out had been a pinned Bushmaster.  

Wrong place, wrong time, no reimbursement that I'm aware of, and I don't think his troubles ended there.  The people I know who have had the BATFplay with them have found the IRS tends to suddenly do very thorough audits as well.  The one guy I know is 50k+ into lawyer fees, and he did NOTHING wrong.  

Just some food for thought.  As a cop, I can say there are a lot of people who never thought anything would happen to them, but they were dragged into things they had no control over by others.  

I don't know you, I don't work taskforce, you aren't my jurisdiction, and you will never impact my family, friends, squad, or myself.  The above is just an observation, you are obviously free to do what you like.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wrong place, wrong time, no reimbursement that I'm aware of, and I don't think his troubles ended there.  The people I know who have had the BATFplay with them have found the IRS tends to suddenly do very thorough audits as well.  The one guy I know is 50k+ into lawyer fees, and he did NOTHING wrong.  

Just some food for thought.  As a cop, I can say there are a lot of people who never thought anything would happen to them, but they were dragged into things they had no control over by others.  

I don't know you, I don't work taskforce, you aren't my jurisdiction, and you will never impact my family, friends, squad, or myself.  The above is just an observation, you are obviously free to do what you like.

Thank you for the warning. I happen to be an attorney myself, so I don't think I will have any problems on that end. Also, my taxes are squared away haha.

Quoted:
 Some of you guys act like you want to keep these waxed up and ready to take to a car show and put them on display and oogle them. They're purdy and all, but not that purdy.  

Guilty as charged lol!!! There are certain rifles that I have abused and put thousands of rounds through. I have named these after my high school and college "girlfriends." Then, there are certain rifles that I use and have a lot of fun with but I still take really good care of. These are all named after my wife. Finally, there are some that I put into little boxes, dress up with accessories, imagine what it would be like to shoot them, and mostly, I just fantasize about them. These are usually named after celebrities.

I haven't decided what celebrity this m4a1 Block II build will be named after but you are more than welcome to make suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Stickman gave some solid advice OP. Is there any specific reason you don't want to SBR it? It really is the safest route.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I think 'silver soldering' or brazing, is an approved method for attaching a barrel extension when soldering the juncture between the barrel and attachment threads, not for covering a pin installation. In any event, all you need to do is to have the welder build up over the pin so you or someone else can file it down to match and then paint the whole attachment. The drawback is if the government ever questioned that installation, the barrel would have to be ruined by the subsequent investigation. With a regular job, you can see that it is pinned and welded but its not something that you would notice - you have to be looking for it. Here's the ADCO job on my Colt 6721 that is now 16" total with A2 FH.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#21]
E-form  1
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

While I appreciate you candor (and your photos), your summation of your thoughts on this does leave a chill...     ...i. e., being correct and law abiding...   meh.

ETA: I have had a couple FN-FALs made by ARS which had silver soldered muzzle brakes that a showed no signs of permanent attachment. I have had an ADCO pinned & welded 14.5 that had a weld that looked like a pimple on a prom night. On the other hand I had a Bushmaster factory 14.5" "AK Shorty" where the weld was very difficult to find. Currently I have a factory 14.5" 1/7 Bushmaster pinned & welded and it also has a very vague weld mark and a Colt 14.5" gunsmith weld that has only a very small bead visible.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:10:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

You call that no good?

I fail to see the problem with your above statement.

NFA is fun.

ADCO is the right answer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think 'silver soldering' or brazing, is an approved method for attaching a barrel extension when soldering the juncture between the barrel and attachment threads, not for covering a pin installation. In any event, all you need to do is to have the welder build up over the pin so you or someone else can file it down to match and then paint the whole attachment. The drawback is if the government ever questioned that installation, the barrel would have to be ruined by the subsequent investigation. With a regular job, you can see that it is pinned and welded but its not something that you would notice - you have to be looking for it. Here's the ADCO job on my Colt 6721 that is now 16" total with A2 FH.

<a href="http://s209.photobucket.com/user/INLAND44/media/ADCO3_zps9zyxwtsl.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb27/INLAND44/ADCO3_zps9zyxwtsl.jpg</a>
View Quote

Couldn't they just xray it to see the pin job?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s209.photobucket.com/user/INLAND44/media/ADCO3_zps9zyxwtsl.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb27/INLAND44/ADCO3_zps9zyxwtsl.jpg</a>

We're talking about an agency that says they can't handle digital prints, and IIRC admitted not all that long ago that their dB metering equipment had been defunct for years.    I honestly doubt they'd have an X-ray machine on hand, or bother to go find one to borrow over a pin-and-weld.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:08:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

We're talking about an agency that says they can't handle digital prints, and IIRC admitted not all that long ago that their dB metering equipment had been defunct for years.    I honestly doubt they'd have an X-ray machine on hand, or bother to go find one to borrow over a pin-and-weld.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, let me just grab that from my trunk.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:07:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, idk how they work.  For all I know they could "confiscate", bring to local office, inspect, return if it passes, or keep if fails.  That's what I assumed anyways.

I sbr all my shit so no worry on my end, just curious
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:51:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thank you for the warning. I happen to be an attorney myself, so I don't think I will have any problems on that end. Also, my taxes are squared away haha.

Guilty as charged lol!!! There are certain rifles that I have abused and put thousands of rounds through. I have named these after my high school and college "girlfriends." Then, there are certain rifles that I use and have a lot of fun with but I still take really good care of. These are all named after my wife. Finally, there are some that I put into little boxes, dress up with accessories, imagine what it would be like to shoot them, and mostly, I just fantasize about them. These are usually named after celebrities.

I haven't decided what celebrity this m4a1 Block II build will be named after but you are more than welcome to make suggestions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
 Some of you guys act like you want to keep these waxed up and ready to take to a car show and put them on display and oogle them. They're purdy and all, but not that purdy.  

wow.  i thought guys only named their guns with girls names in the movies.

notsohumblebrag cringe thread

anyway silver solder is the way to go
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

My vote would be to name her Scarlett (Johansson)
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#32]
How's Rainier's quality on pin  and weld jobs? They seem to be a little less expensive then adco for SF hiders/ brakes?  I don't really any thing posted on their shop services
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Jeff at Arizona Armory did a wonderful job on mine. You have to look pretty closely to see it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The pinning service from ADCO for a SF muzzle device is what... $85 + shipping? Add in more machine work $.... You are already halfway to a tax stamp.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Showing $30 on their website. Just labor.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#35]
It's an additional $55.00 up charge for the SF products ( scroll down menu has different products with different add on pricing )
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

lol, idk how they work.  For all I know they could "confiscate", bring to local office, inspect, return if it passes, or keep if fails.  That's what I assumed anyways.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking more like there's only one of them kinds of machines in the whole country.    So I have no clue either.  Although maybe if I get another kidney stone, I'll take my M4gery with me and ask them to let it stay in the pic so I can see the pin and weld job......  Oh wait, if I brought an AR into a hospital...........  Probably not the same machine?  X-ray?  I have no clue.  It just sounds expensive.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, I came in here to say, "That was creepy".   I wonder what his wife thinks about that.  I don't want to know.   He didn't necessarily help my overall feeling of lawyers though.  

Sorry OP, I'm hoping you have a tough skin.  We're all weird in some way or another.  But IMHO, you're making too much out of it.  But to each his own.  But like Stickman said, there's an upside to having it be visible.

That was a lot of buts.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If the weld got good pen, you can make it flush with a file, then finish with super blue. If its a shitty weld it is sitting on the surface and the pin might fall out.
View Quote

I believe if done correctly, the pin is pressed in, falling out shouldn't be an issue weld or no weld. The weld is just too... Keep people happy
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe if done correctly, the pin is pressed in, falling out shouldn't be an issue weld or no weld. The weld is just to... keep people happy, or to take the 200 ft pounds they put on it to make sure it's what they call permanent, or both
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:40:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL. It was JUST a joke. I don't name my guns fellas.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The rules clearly state....Blind Pinning With The Pin Head Welded Over!
View Quote

And your point?

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:07:34 PM EDT
[#44]
So you honestly believe that the BATFE colluded with the IRS and decided to launch a personal vendetta against this guy? I can guarantee you that in this context, you will never, ever, EVER rack up $50k worth of legal fees unless you've got something reaalllllyyyyy shady going on. There has to be a second level to this story that we're not privy to.

I'll gladly open my door to any BATFE, IRS, FBI, or LEO who wants to snoop around. It's the same reason I will always grant you guys permission to search my vehicle, even though I don't have to. You've got a job to do, don't let me get in the way...
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#45]
I've had two 14.5" barrels pinned to 16" by Noveske Rifleworks and I simply spot touched it with a black magic marker to cover it up.

If there is any question regarding whether the flash hiders are pinned or not a little solvent will remove the magic marker. Another stroke of a magic marker is cheap and easy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top