Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/21/2016 3:50:25 PM EDT
Curious if anybody has ever got to that point.......  I feel like I sort of did that with my pistols and it's sort of cool.  To find one that works for my needs and be like, OK, that's figured out.......  But I have yet to ever feel like that with my AR's.  

I rip them apart, put this on that and this on that and I always feel like I come to the conclusion that I can't find the exact right combo.  LOL. Or if it feels right, there is some kind of factor that disqualifies it.  I know most of it is just me.   And part of it is lack of funds.  I have a hard enough time trying to keep enough ammo around......

So suffice to say, I've yet to settle on an AR that I feel is just right.  And my needs are simple.  A SHTF gun.  I rely on my pistols for defense.  But I do like having an AR handy if I need one, for home defense or God Forbid, some kind of SHTF situation.  I'm not talking zombie apocolypse.  I'm talking possible temporary ones like we've seen.

I think another mistake I've made is I've never ponied up for an aimpoint.   And it would probably solve some of my problems.  I'm stuck in the last century and shoot mostly irons.  And my eyes aint what they used to be.  

For example, these are what I have:

M4gery, great gun, accurate, handy, but the carbine sight radius slows down my sighting in time.  I really have to do some gymnastics to get a good sight picture.  Especially at 100 yards.... Actually, at 100 it's almost a bridge too far, but I can still make hits even though the target is pretty blurry when focusing on the front sight.  I figured out to use a 6 oclock hold, which I don't ever do otherwise.  If I flip to the big ap to be fast and focus on the target, I almost can't even see the front sight.  LOL

Middy Recce, a bit nose heavy, but probably the best choice of all...... Looks like it needs more high end optics...  but.....   That's all too expensive for me.  I nearly bought a PA advanced Micro over Christmas, but those funds went to the G26 (Which is my favorite pistol).  I guess my only beef is it can get a bit heavy when adding stuff.  It's an HBAR.  

Colt A2 20".   Love this gun.  Balances the best, despite being the heaviest when I just have irons on the other two.  But the dang thing shifts POI from one load to the next pretty drastically.  And that's kind of a deal breaker for a  SHTF gun.  I think.  

Anytime I put a scope on a gun, it just makes an AR unwieldy to me.  So....

What gun to you put in your arms and go, JUST RIGHT, and it fills your mission for it?  

Sometimes I just want to buy a Mini 14 or 30 and be done with AR's.    But they run too good.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#2]
If I had to build a do it all carbine, I'd do a 14.7" pinned to 16" RECCE with a 1-6x scope.  The only issue is I'd have to be willing to spend the cash.  

I'd want a really good barrel.  An optic like the Meopta with a 1x red dot in center and true x1.  I'd want a good free float rail and a set of offset irons as well.

All doable but at this point I have multiple rifles that serve different purposes better than 1 rifle that almost serves several purposes

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kinda hard to find the G17 of the AR world.

I will say this, you need to get into the world of red dot optics.  Iron sights are great, and there are plenty of guys I know who are VERY good and fast with them.  However, even those guys find difficulty when dropped into certain scenarios.
View Quote

Don't you mean G19...

(jk, both are great)
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I recently just got a BCM 14.5 enhanced light weight with the 13" KMR alpha. Only had one range trip with it so far (literally had it for 2 days) but I think it's about perfect for me. Coming from a standard carbine with KAC rails it is night and day difference.

I also love my 20" M16A4 clone but the weight sucks.

Edit: EOTech on the 14.5 might switch to a aimpoint micro though and ACOG on the M16A4 clone.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmm...good question. Personally, I'm an XD/XDm guy. I have two of them and love them both. Once getting my 9mm XDm in 2009...well, I really haven't wanted another handgun. The thing just fits me like a glove.

ARs huh....that's tough.

I have a 16 CAR that I love. It came with a heavy barrel (37.6oz!) so in my opinion, the thing has too much heft in the front. With a Primary Arms micro dot on it, it weighs in at 7.75lbs in that config.

I wanted lighter...so I built a 7" AR pistol. I did a KISS approach on it and it is a great little shooter. 5.56lbs

Then I wanted a bench rifle...so I built a heavy barrel 18" bench build. It's just under 10lbs but I don't much care given it's purpose.

So...I feel that save that stinking heavy barrel on my CAR...I now have 3 ARs that "feel" right...depending on what I want to do with them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I had the same problem UNTIL I started cloning guns!

Between the Block 1, Block 2, Recce, Mk18, Mk12, A1, A2, A4, XM177, XM4, you will not have any further needs!

See the clone threads!  Its the only path to peace!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#7]
No gun of any sort is ever just right. That's what's so awesome about guns.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had the same problem UNTIL I started cloning guns!

Between the Block 1, Block 2, Recce, Mk18, Mk12, A1, A2, A4, XM177, XM4, you will not have any further needs!

See the clone threads!  Its the only path to peace!
View Quote

Shoot, I couldn't afford to tie the shoes of any of your clone builds.....  Or at least the first 5 you mentioned.  For me, that path is vaporware.  I'm lucky to have what I do.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No gun of any sort is ever just right. That's what's so awesome about guns.
View Quote

Well, I plan on carrying only ONE around when it comes down to it.  So that's the one........  Same with pistols.  I only carry ONE, so that's the one I wanted to feel covered my needs.   I know what you're saying, you can always change out for something different for each mission.  But my needs / wants are not that broad:  Have one that goes bang and that I can hit with, if I need to kill something.  As fast as I can manage to.  The ones I have can pretty much do that, but for some reason it's hard to figure out which one does it best for me.  

I think I kind of answered my question in the original post and I think the Middy I have is the one to focus on.  I can see those sights better than I can on the carbine.  And it's accurate and shootable.  The irons do work better on the rifle for me, but the middy is an improvement over the M4gery.   And it does feel pretty good.  Recoil is a bit less with the middy than the carbine.  Not tons, but a little.  The rifle is a joy to shoot though.  If it weren't for that shifting POI problem.  

I would like / should get a good red dot though.  I think it would probably make things easier.   But money is a tight commodity around here.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#10]
10.5" with flashlight and aimpoint.
Good ammo for serious situations.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#11]
SR15, I like the 14.5 and 11.5 ones the best.

Add sling and optic, and away you go.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#12]
For me it's my SR15 mod 2 with MOE+ grip, BAD-ASS ST safety, Geissele SSA, and H1 in a Scalar works mount.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For me it's my SR15 mod 2 with MOE+ grip, BAD-ASS ST safety, Geissele SSA, and H1 in a Scalar works mount.
View Quote

Which stock?  There are more than one MOE choices.  I like the SL, it's a bit heavy compared to a normal M4 though.  

What's the big whoop about the BAD?  I've got a friend that keeps mentioning he wants one.  I don't see how the normal bolt stop/ release is an issue?  Seems like just another thing to get in the way.   But I've never used one, so.....
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would you be willing to be a bit more specific?  A picture would help.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same with you:
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#16]
JJ, I feel like you and I think the same way on a lot of things. I've been thinking about this a good bit lately.

I've had a 20" A4, a basic stock Bushmaster M4gery, and just finally put the finishing touches on a M4A1-type rifle. Now that I've got that one "finished" it feels WAY too heavy (I'm a skinny/small guy) and I'm a little dissatisfied with it. Just feels like a TANK given what it is. The 20-incher was too long, and the basic rifle was, well, basic.

I'm constantly doing conceptual research on the AR platform and once stumbled across this rifle that sums up pretty much what my perfect rifle would be. I'd put a Rainier stainless barrel in it, an AAC non-suppressor flash hider instead of the MAMS brake, and a SOPMOD stock instead of the IMOD but everything else roughly the same. I've always liked the BCM "Jack  Carbine" concept but wanted to change a few things. This is pretty much the perfect setup. YMMV. I see needing a rifle for hunting small game, varmint patrol (coyotes, etc) and possible HD. A bulletproof 1-4x like the NF is perfect and I really like the FC-3G reticle.

So now I'm collecting parts to build one. The issue is that I now need to figure out which ARs or combinations I need to dump. I like them all in their own way and feel bad dumping the SOPMOD without running it through a class or something.

Basically, I think my (our?) realistic needs for a .223 rifle are going to be 400yds and in and you'll want magnification. At that range you don't need a 16"+ barrel. Anything beyond that range you have the time and the need to sling a .30cal slug of some kind, so that's what the .308 bolt gun is for. With that and a pistol I think you're pretty well covered for necessary guns, everything else can be just fun stuff.

Anyway...rambling over.

(As an aside, I've always thought that an M1 carbine in .308 would be the perfect "do-everything a civilian needs" gun.)
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#17]
If I could have only 1 AR, this would be it.
It's not super light, but not overly heavy, and it balances well, it's compact enough for me, and is reliable and durable. I'm
(Obviously still needs a light) But it will do every thing I need a rifle for in a SHTF scenario.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Ive gone though 11 Ars to find the AR that is just right for me. here it is

it will do everything I need it to I love it.  its my take on the Recce rifle really just need a can and it would be truly perfect
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#19]
You need a CWAR in your life.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#20]
DPMS 16" fixed front sight, thread protector, chrome lined m4 profile 556 bbl
TAC30 in QD mount
Magpul BUIS (rear)
Magpul SL forend, CTR Stock, MOEk2 Grip
"Cleaned Up" milspec trigger and LPK,  
Phosphated Bolt / BCG
Anderson Lightweight Upper
Anderson Std Lower

It's light enough to carry all day.
Accurate enough for anything I'd ask from such a compact rifle.
Heavy enough that it doesn't feel 'whippy' in my hands.
Cycles every crap 223 or 556 brand I have found so far.
Oh yeah the good stuff cycles, too...
Fits just about anywhere.
Comes on target nice; not like looking through a straw.
Has nothing it doesn't need.  
Needs nothing it doesn't have.
Cheap!  I spent an alarmingly small amount of money on this rifle.

I like my other put-me-together zombie guns... but this one came out really nice.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, except 16" for me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My training guns are psa/fn chf 10.5", geissele g2s / alg act  aimpoint r1(think silver h1 bought dirt cheap) leoupold vxr patrol 1.5-4 ................
my house / eotw gun is a 10.5 lmt / colt bcg / tlr1 / aimpoint m3 / geissele s3g trigger  ... soe slings on everything

I'm trying to learn to like the micro's but to date i just prefer the big ones.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Meh... I had it beaten into me.... I opted for a Colt 6920 16 inch... saving up to slap an ACOG on that bitch... got the knights armament rail and foregrip... I''ll be set... then jsut to get a 203 on that fucker. As for pistols. 1911 all day.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a vision for all of my ARs. I know what I want for and from them ahead of time. When I build them and get finished, they are finished. The same goes for any AR I may buy. When I buy it, I determine just what I want to do with it, if anything, and once it has those add-ons or modifications, I do not change it. If I want an AR with a different setup from anything else I have, I build it. That is one reason why I have as many ARs as I do. Now, that said, I have built a few ARs of which I later changed the lowers out to a proper lower for the correctness of the build. I did that on my Mk12 Mod 0, Mk18 Mod 0, basic M4, and M16A1 clones.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#25]
lol  it never ends but all my rifles seem to end up with irons, some form of an optic, and a light. all the essentials and i'm good
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#26]
My M16 RR
Spent 3 years, planning it out on paper, setting up a trust, searching for parts, building, testing, rebuilding, etc...but its finally done!
It seems like its a never ending process and my wife commented numerous times over the years, "Your're STILL building that gun?!" but one day it will click and you will know its perfect.
Ive since moved on to other projects, right now its a SR25.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
JJ, I feel like you and I think the same way on a lot of things. I've been thinking about this a good bit lately.

I've had a 20" A4, a basic stock Bushmaster M4gery, and just finally put the finishing touches on a M4A1-type rifle. Now that I've got that one "finished" it feels WAY too heavy (I'm a skinny/small guy) and I'm a little dissatisfied with it. Just feels like a TANK given what it is. The 20-incher was too long, and the basic rifle was, well, basic.

I'm constantly doing conceptual research on the AR platform and once stumbled across this rifle that sums up pretty much what my perfect rifle would be. I'd put a Rainier stainless barrel in it, an AAC non-suppressor flash hider instead of the MAMS brake, and a SOPMOD stock instead of the IMOD but everything else roughly the same. I've always liked the BCM "Jack  Carbine" concept but wanted to change a few things. This is pretty much the perfect setup. YMMV. I see needing a rifle for hunting small game, varmint patrol (coyotes, etc) and possible HD. A bulletproof 1-4x like the NF is perfect and I really like the FC-3G reticle.

http://buckjay.com/drop/bah-again.jpg

So now I'm collecting parts to build one. The issue is that I now need to figure out which ARs or combinations I need to dump. I like them all in their own way and feel bad dumping the SOPMOD without running it through a class or something.

Basically, I think my (our?) realistic needs for a .223 rifle are going to be 400yds and in and you'll want magnification. At that range you don't need a 16"+ barrel. Anything beyond that range you have the time and the need to sling a .30cal slug of some kind, so that's what the .308 bolt gun is for. With that and a pistol I think you're pretty well covered for necessary guns, everything else can be just fun stuff.

Anyway...rambling over.

(As an aside, I've always thought that an M1 carbine in .308 would be the perfect "do-everything a civilian needs" gun.)
View Quote

I pretty much agree with everything you said.  I don't mind a 16"er though.  I don't even mind 20".  But I do see the benefits to something smaller.   That pic you posted seems like it would be a bit heavy for me.  But barrel profile does a lot.  My Carbine and Middy are both HBars.  I would prefer govt' but back when I bought  what I did, govt' profile was not very prevalent.  Seriously.  I know, weird.  My 20" A2 is govt' profile and it balances nice.  I've always debated getting the middy reprofiled, but I feel like I'd be messing up a good barrel.  It's a WOA match barrel and I'd probably be better off just getting a new barrel, or a new upper.  But that all costs money.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If I could have only 1 AR, this would be it.
It's not super light, but not overly heavy, and it balances well, it's compact enough for me, and is reliable and durable. I'm
(Obviously still needs a light) But it will do every thing I need a rifle for in a SHTF scenario.
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q780/natesarfcom/E0C9F1DF-A641-4EDB-A877-04F3EB489C21_zps5e7mvbki.jpg
View Quote

How much does it weigh?  Seems like if it's a govt' profile under there, it wouldn't be that heavy.   I do really like that and of course it would be a very capable carbine.  

I think 7.5 all loaded out is a good goal (20 round mag), but easier said than done.  Especially with a light.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I pretty much agree with everything you said.  I don't mind a 16"er though.  I don't even mind 20".  But I do see the benefits to something smaller.   That pic you posted seems like it would be a bit heavy for me.  But barrel profile does a lot.  My Carbine and Middy are both HBars.  I would prefer govt' but back when I bought  what I did, govt' profile was not very prevalent.  Seriously.  I know, weird.  My 20" A2 is govt' profile and it balances nice.  I've always debated getting the middy reprofiled, but I feel like I'd be messing up a good barrel.  It's a WOA match barrel and I'd probably be better off just getting a new barrel, or a new upper.  But that all costs money.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyway...rambling over.

Yep. I value accuracy over weight so a medcon barrel is fine for me.

You might enjoy this article. Lose the IR stuff and I think that would be a pretty handy setup.

https://trex-arms.com/shortened-bcm-build/
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#30]
My go to is a 10.5" full auto with DD Lite rail, Surefire Scout, Aimpoint T1, and AAC M4-2000.  Go to shotgun is a 14" Scattergun Tech 870.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My go to is a 10.5" full auto with DD Lite rail, Surefire Scout, Aimpoint T1, and AAC M4-2000.  Go to shotgun is a 14" Scattergun Tech 870.

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/rbdub474/media/IMG_0715_zpsqgbnlnha.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac212/rbdub474/IMG_0715_zpsqgbnlnha.jpg</a>
View Quote

Alright, you're just bragging now!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#32]
My just right ar is my 11.5" bcm elw-f with kmr hand guard. I have the kmr on 4 of my 6 ARs and I love the light weight. Couple that with a light barrel, and a light optic (mro) and I believe it's just right.

I've spent a lot of money figuring out what I don't like, and landed on this coniguartion after falling in love with the 14.5 version of it. The short barrel really makes it that much better.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If I had to build a do it all carbine, I'd do a 14.7" pinned to 16" RECCE with a 1-6x scope.  The only issue is I'd have to be willing to spend the cash.  

View Quote

This describes my do it all carbine perfectly.  Of course I've got other rifles as well.   Had to scratch that SBR itch.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#34]
If duty guns count then the one in the middle with a T1 and surefire mini scout is probably my favorite all around, it just works.  The MP5K is a great gun too but we don't have lights for them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:06:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyway...rambling over.

You might want to call White Oak and ask them about putting their DMR fluting on the middy. They've lowered the price and it removes a lot of weight.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I recently just got a BCM 14.5 enhanced light weight with the 13" KMR alpha. Only had one range trip with it so far (literally had it for 2 days) but I think it's about perfect for me.
View Quote

Yep. Me too. This is my current fave and is built for SHTF purposes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I've gone through several iterations of my "favorites" including full LMT carbines, CQB MRPs, Noveske, Daniel Defense, and now my most recent addiction is Knight's.

When I examine the contents of the safe, 3 of my ARs just feel "right" and are:

The Noveske 300BLK rifle is a small gun but it balances well without feeling too small.

The SR-15 is one of the rifles which just works incredibly well with the Rifle length URX3 and Aimpoint.  It's one of those rifles that I can pick up and every part of it feels like it belongs in my hands, a familiarity that only one other rifle in the safe shares with this and the Noveske.

The LMT MRP Rifle/ADM UIC lower recently came together when I found the MRP chassis on the EE and picked it up.  The UIC lower was one I had been turned onto by my good friend CastorTroy and I'm glad to be able to have one.  With it's ambidextrous bolt catch and release, and ambidextrous selector with right side scalloping, the only other measure I had to take to make it fully ambi was the Raptor CH.  It's also equipped with the Knight's QD endplate but I think I'm going to switch that out for a Noveske or ASAP-QD.  I had mocked it up with the Viper PST 1-4 but I think the gun is going to end up with a Vortex Razor of some variant.  When the chassis arrived this week I also received one of my favorite QD muzzle brakes.  The installation went rather perfectly as when I began timing it to the barrel, I noted that no shims were required to get it to work.  I like it when such alignment of planets occurs
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:06:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If duty guns count then the one in the middle with a T1 and surefire mini scout is probably my favorite all around, it just works.  The MP5K is a great gun too but we don't have lights for them.
<a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/user/scuds03/media/fgnes_zps0a2db0c8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/scuds03/fgnes_zps0a2db0c8.jpg</a>
View Quote

LIKE x 10 billion trillion gazillion.  And thank you for serving!!!  

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:09:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've gone through several iterations of my "favorites" including full LMT carbines, CQB MRPs, Noveske, Daniel Defense, and now my most recent addiction is Knight's.

When I examine the contents of the safe, 3 of my ARs just feel "right" and are:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1611/26450083821_dbdf589c8f_h.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5793/23304154550_7479971413_k.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8601/16542570468_43bb0ebe6b_h.jpg

The Noveske 300BLK rifle is a small gun but it balances well without feeling too small.

The SR-15 is one of the rifles which just works incredibly well with the Rifle length URX3 and Aimpoint.  It's one of those rifles that I can pick up and every part of it feels like it belongs in my hands, a familiarity that only one other rifle in the safe shares with this and the Noveske.

The LMT MRP Rifle/ADM UIC lower recently came together when I found the MRP chassis on the EE and picked it up.  The UIC lower was one I had been turned onto by my good friend CastorTroy and I'm glad to be able to have one.  With it's ambidextrous bolt catch and release, and ambidextrous selector with right side scalloping, the only other measure I had to take to make it fully ambi was the Raptor CH.  It's also equipped with the Knight's QD endplate but I think I'm going to switch that out for a Noveske or ASAP-QD.  I had mocked it up with the Viper PST 1-4 but I think the gun is going to end up with a Vortex Razor of some variant.  When the chassis arrived this week I also received one of my favorite QD muzzle brakes.  The installation went rather perfectly as when I began timing it to the barrel, I noted that no shims were required to get it to work.  I like it when such alignment of planets occurs
View Quote

Help a brother out.  Which one is which?  Is the top one the LMT MRP????  I"m a bit slow and not up on all the stuff.  I'm guessing the 300 bo is the bottom one.  

cttb:  Yeah, that's a good idea.  ADCO will do it too, I'm pretty sure.  Which is where I got it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#40]
The problem with "Just Right" is there are many situations and therefore many guns that need to be "just right".

My SPR-ish build is pretty spot on for "just right" for me, until I did a clone and realized the A1 pistol grip was much more comfortable than the MOE, so now I need a new grip. Then there is the money barrier for a better trigger down the road, but that doesn't stop my enjoyment. If I had more money would I put a nicer scope on it? Sure, but again, that doesn't hinder my enjoyment.
I just ventured down the road of "just right" with a carbine and I'm trying out the world of quad rails and forward grips, so I do need to figure that out.
But if I had to pick just one AR that was "just right" it would probably be my retro. It fits, feels great, and is easy and fun to shoot.

I think part of the problem with AR's is the overwhelming flood of options and the surge of "Hey guys look at this shiny new thing you have to get!"; it is both a blessing and a curse. When building my rifles I found the easiest thing to do was tune all of that out, find something I thought was good, check reviews, then grab it. For example when I was looking for handguards for my SPR, I looked at the diameter and then got an object that was the same and held it to see if I'd like it. In my case, it was a cut-down tube from wrapping paper slipped over the barrel/barrel nut.

Based on your three descriptions, you might want to look at a simple red-dot for your M4gery. I also prefer solid stocks but that is me. Try putting your M4gery upper on your A2's lower and see what you think! My carbine with a similar set-up is great.  
As for your A2, the POI shifts are interesting. How different is the ammo? Are you just talking M193 among various brands or M193 to M855, or some other mix? How big is the shift itself? If you can still hit a man sized target at 100yds then I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#41]
I've build a lot of rifles and these two are just about the only two that I've shot and said "that's perfect, I wouldn't change a thing".

" />
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Like many in this thread, I've quickly figured out that there is no "one size fits all" AR config. I kind of lands up being a jack-ass of all trades type of thing. I tried it with my first AR and landed up giving up in the end.

here's my spread, take in mind that SBRs and silencers are a no-no in Illinois so this is the best I can do:

Each one has a purpose and design to play a certain role.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Since my ability to shoot further has evolved, I'm a fan of my 6.5 Grendel build.

Once BA drops their 12.5" barrel on the market (wishing.... ) it will look like:

12.5 BA 6.5 Grendel barrel
11" LaRue rail
Vortex 1-4x MRAD in LT-104
Stamped lower
Paint

Pretty much how it sits now but in 6.5

5.56 primarily fills the 5-200 yard niche for me as they are all 11.5 / 12.5's.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#44]
SR15 Mod 1 is perfect and fits my needs very well. Throw on an optic, light, sling and that covers 100% of my needs for the AR.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#45]
I have been through around 12 rifles and each time It has gotten more and more what is right for me from just trying things. I can't say I have found the perfect one but dann close, the best so far.. I have found what works for me, but I'm constantly refining my setup. I still need to put some basic night fighting equipment on it and I'm hoping it won't throw the weight off too much. Right now it's the perfect mix of weight and the rocking type of recoil I like, not the short stabbing recoil of most ar's i have had.
I really like the 12.5" barrel, it still has good velocity but throws the weight back to me and I can easily flip and throw it around pretty easy. It has perfect balance. In still not sold on the match 1/8 wylde barrels, the extra accuracy is great but apart of me says the chf 1/7 normal fn barrels are good enough and much tougher. Everything is a trade off I guess, but the 12.5 and 1-6 optic is a good middle ground.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've build a lot of rifles and these two are just about the only two that I've shot and said "that's perfect, I wouldn't change a thing".

http://<a href=http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/pcrunnels/IMG_0249_zpslnwa4aub.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

I can see why you'd say that!  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Any of them can be 'just right' today but 'passe' in six months. That's why I pretty much stay stock. It works like it is and that's all it's supposed to do. You're building toys to show to the other boys.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The problem with "Just Right" is there are many situations and therefore many guns that need to be "just right".

My SPR-ish build is pretty spot on for "just right" for me, until I did a clone and realized the A1 pistol grip was much more comfortable than the MOE, so now I need a new grip. Then there is the money barrier for a better trigger down the road, but that doesn't stop my enjoyment. If I had more money would I put a nicer scope on it? Sure, but again, that doesn't hinder my enjoyment.
I just ventured down the road of "just right" with a carbine and I'm trying out the world of quad rails and forward grips, so I do need to figure that out.
But if I had to pick just one AR that was "just right" it would probably be my retro. It fits, feels great, and is easy and fun to shoot.

I think part of the problem with AR's is the overwhelming flood of options and the surge of "Hey guys look at this shiny new thing you have to get!"; it is both a blessing and a curse. When building my rifles I found the easiest thing to do was tune all of that out, find something I thought was good, check reviews, then grab it. For example when I was looking for handguards for my SPR, I looked at the diameter and then got an object that was the same and held it to see if I'd like it. In my case, it was a cut-down tube from wrapping paper slipped over the barrel/barrel nut.

Based on your three descriptions, you might want to look at a simple red-dot for your M4gery. I also prefer solid stocks but that is me. Try putting your M4gery upper on your A2's lower and see what you think! My carbine with a similar set-up is great.  
As for your A2, the POI shifts are interesting. How different is the ammo? Are you just talking M193 among various brands or M193 to M855, or some other mix? How big is the shift itself? If you can still hit a man sized target at 100yds then I wouldn't worry about it.
View Quote

Yeah, a red dot on the M4gery would make the short sight radius a moot point.  But then I'd almost rather not have a FSB in the way.  I like to keep things simple.  I think my brain is slow or something.  I've looked through guys set ups with a Red Dot, FSB and Rear fixed and my brain exploded from all the busy-ness.    I'd probably rather put an optic on my Middy.  But the M4gery does have a bit of an edge in feeling handy.  It's weird how 1.5" can do that.  

As far as the POI shift.  I should do a more anal test.  I just remember shooting at 25 meters once and yeah, it was more drastic changes.  I remember I had some UMC 45 grain and then some 55 grain stuff.  And then maybe 75's.  And at 25 meters there was a shift of several inches.  Like 4".  And I remember shooting at 100 and being really frustrated with how much it changed.  I should test it with just 55 grainers of various types.  Because admittedly.  That's mostly what I shoot.  But my mag for HD has 10 rounds of 68 grain BTHP and 10 rounds of M855.  

I really should pick up some bad to the bone carry ammo.  Like some TSX or MK262, but for me, pistols are my go to defense guns.  I'm starting to shift to maybe going with the AR for that though.  We'll see.  One thing to consider in that aspect is the M4gery is a 1/9 twist.  Not that you can't get good carry ammo for it, it just narrows the field.  

I guess I should post all three of my AR's.....

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#49]
What happened to me was I got my first AR then I found the forums and got caught up in the chart.  So I thought my Stag is shit so I sold and got a m&p which was better but I kept thinking man this barrel isn't mil spec it's not going to last and about that time was when the zombie apocalypse happened and I got on the zombie band wagon and I built a top end bcm m4gery and thought this is the shit but even though it was tough as nails it never felt right  now I have my Aero Precision Recce and it feels just right to me now.

I would browse the forums and see others ARs and I get envious and think man I want that aimpoint or night force scope or those rails and I look at my stuff and think man my stuff is crap even though it wasn't.  My bcm 14.5 carbine had a dd omega 7.0 rail and eotech 553 there was nothing bad about it but in my mind at the time it wasn't good enough.

When u sold that ar and built this Aero I forced my self out of that mind set and kicked the zombies and I am much more happier and it's what I want.   Took some trial and error with my optics but I've settled on a leupold mark ar 3-9x40mm and I'm stoked
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't think it's overly much a thing of Arfcom envy for me.  Although there may be a little bit of that. (I'm always envying good optics. ) Part of it is just gear that has quirks and different qualities...  

I'm not usually a "do what everyone else" kind of guy.  Actually, usually when I see everyone doing something I have this thing to do something different.  Although sometimes there are good reasons for trends.  But sometimes not.  Or sometimes only a little bit.  

Any three of those would work just fine.  But I'm letting a little bit of "feeling" creep in.  But sometimes some things just work BETTER.  Everything has it's upsides and downsides.  Too heavy and I get fatigued but recoil is lower and you can make follow up shots faster.  Too light of barrel and it can heat up fast if you're shooting a lot and want to shoot real accurate.  But makes for a handier rifle shooting offhand.  But then recoil usually goes up.  Etc etc.......  

Finding that combination that just seems to work is what I'm after.  It might not be attainable.  But my guess is I can get closer.  I actually think I am kind of close.......  But yeah, it takes a while to figure it out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top