Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/15/2016 3:11:45 PM EDT
Bought one of the Anderson uppers to try them out and form my own opinion about them. So far not so good.

I've tried three 5.56 BCGs and a .22 conversion bolt in this upper and none of them cycle. Very strange since the .22 conversion works much differently compared to a typical BCG.

Anyone else have a similar problem or think they have a solution? I've inspected the upper and can't find any high wear areas, but as we all know when it comes to things being in spec it comes down to millimeters or less
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Was this a comple barreled upper, or something you built off an Anderson reciever?
What is it doing? Is it extracting and ejecting? Not picking up a new round? Need more info

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 3:38:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was this a comple barreled upper, or something you built off an Anderson reciever? What is it doing? Is it extracting and ejecting? Not picking up a new round? Need more info

View Quote

^yep.
I will also add that the particular ammo may be the issue.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Was the lower assembled correctly? Since you used a 22 conversion that kind of rules out the upper since 22LR uses blow back. If you have another upper I would swap that on the lower and see if it cycles.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Pushing four hours since he posted. Maybe he figured it out.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#5]
There is almost zero actual information in the original post.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:52:47 AM EDT
[#6]
An upper receiver is the smallest factor in an upper build (and not likely to be your issue). It simple houses the barrel and connects it to the lower.
The issue is most likely in the OTHER parts used. Did you headspace your barrel/bolt/carrier combo? Are the feed ramps lined up? Proper torque spec on the barrel nut? Gas tube aligned (the most common culprit)? What spring are you using? What buffer weight are you using? Does the bolt/carrier slide into battery without much effort (will if everything is aligned properly, again gas tube being critical here)? Etc... It's an endless list.... almost none of it has to do with the upper receiver (the LEAST likely culprit).
I've used LOTS of Anderson uppers and love them. They are cheap, they are mil spec, and they work fantastic.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Upper built from new parts. Will not cycle, meaning no ejection thus no picking up of the next round. No scarring on the brass, this has happened with Federal xm855, 193, Federal 55gr FMJ, Remington 55gr FMJ.

It's not an ammo problem from what I can deduce

BCG works fine in other builds. All of my many other builds have worked without a hitch except this one. What's the difference with this one? Anderson upper.

No headspacing needed since these are brand new parts, and as mentioned, the BCG works in other rifles. I've tried an H2 and carbine buffer, standard spring. BCG seems tight, as in if I just slap the release it'll go into battery, but if I release it half or 3/4 of the way it feels like it's binding. It's definitely binding BEFORE the tube enters the gas key and once in battery is very hard to pull back. Almost like it has symptoms of a binding gas tube along with an out of spec upper (however unlikely that is)

The whole reason I'm asking about the upper is because I've pretty much ruled everything else out. Only thing I'm not 100% on is the gas tube, however it looks to be straight and had zero problems installing. But again, it seems to also bind before the gas key interacts with the tube.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like a gas problem to me, this upper, does it have an adjustable or a standard gas block.  Now realize, if the timing is off by just the tiny bit, it can bind on the BCG.  The preference is to have it timed correctly, but I have seen tight fit between a BCG and gas tube actually clear itself up over small amount of time shooting it so they wear into each other.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Was the lower assembled correctly? Since you used a 22 conversion that kind of rules out the upper since 22LR uses blow back. If you have another upper I would swap that on the lower and see if it cycles.
View Quote

Lower works on several other uppers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sounds like a gas problem to me, this upper, does it have an adjustable or a standard gas block.  Now realize, if the timing is off by just the tiny bit, it can bind on the BCG.  The preference is to have it timed correctly, but I have seen tight fit between a BCG and gas tube actually clear itself up over small amount of time shooting it so they wear into each other.
View Quote

I would say it was a gas problem if the BCG ran smoothly in the upper, but since it binds I think I have a different problem.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I would put everything together and start charging and then letting it slam back into battery at least 50 times, then you should be able to see anywhere that it is binding, I have had a couple of friends that built guns and has this problem, I removed the gas tube so I could coat the end of it with a sharpie, I coated it up to the point where is comes through the receiver, so I can see if it is lined up or if it is binding, also it is pretty easy to see on an Anodizing where it is hitting if it is the BCG, it will start wearing the coating in the areas that binding.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would put everything together and start charging and then letting it slam back into battery at least 50 times, then you should be able to see anywhere that it is binding, I have had a couple of friends that built guns and has this problem, I removed the gas tube so I could coat the end of it with a sharpie, I coated it up to the point where is comes through the receiver, so I can see if it is lined up or if it is binding, also it is pretty easy to see on an Anodizing where it is hitting if it is the BCG, it will start wearing the coating in the areas that binding.
View Quote

I tried looking around for signs like that. The only parts that had visible, and heavy, gouging or wear was the charging handle near the latch area on both sides.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Have you made sure the charging handle is not out of spec?

I would still pull the gas tube, coat the end of it with a black sharpie, and start cycling by hand to see if it is hanging.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Could be a tight carrier raceway if it isn't machined to spec, and wasn't QC'd by a competent TQM program.

I've seen oversized BCGs that bind up like that, sold as "Match" parts held to tighter tolerances.

It also can happen when the inside of the upper is coated with something, especially Cerakote.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:45:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would still pull the gas tube, coat the end of it with a black sharpie, and start cycling by hand to see if it is hanging.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I swapped out my BCM and Raptor from my other builds and it was still binding. Quickly removed them though as I didn't want those to become damaged.

Quoted:
Could be a tight carrier raceway if it isn't machined to spec, and wasn't QC'd by a competent TQM program.

I've seen oversized BCGs that bind up like that, sold as "Match" parts held to tighter tolerances.

It also can happen when the inside of the upper is coated with something, especially Cerakote.

I installed my Ice Arms, AIM, and LMT BCG and it still binds...

I'm at a loss. What I may do is take all of the same parts of this build and put the on a spare Aero Precision upper. If it doesn't bind at all I may throw the Anderson into a hydraulic press and smash into the pile of garbage that it is.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:53:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Let me know before you smash it, I will take it and send the price of shipping to you, but never smash one, frustration is no reason to kill a good part!  I have built several  Anderson uppers and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I swapped out my BCM and Raptor from my other builds and it was still binding. Quickly removed them though as I didn't want those to become damaged.

I'm at a loss. What I may do is take all of the same parts of this build and put the on a spare Aero Precision upper. If it doesn't bind at all I may throw the Anderson into a hydraulic press and smash into the pile of garbage that it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's just dumb

Bandsaw is the proper method
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:02:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's just dumb

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I may throw the Anderson into a hydraulic press and smash into the pile of garbage that it is[/span].

That's just dumb

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Let me know before you smash it, I will take it and send the price of shipping to you, but never smash one, frustration is no reason to kill a good part!  I have built several  Anderson uppers and never had a problem.
View Quote

I would never smash a good part

I'm going to investigate the gas tube further. I'll post up my findings once I do solve the problem.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:39:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Did you pinch the upper?
Will any of you BCG's slide in and out and chamber rounds by hand with CH removed?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm going to investigate the gas tube further. I'll post up my findings once I do solve the problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take the bolt off of the bcg and slide the carrier through the upper; if you feel resistance when it hits the gas tube you need to align it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Did you pinch the upper?
Will any of you BCG's slide in and out and chamber rounds by hand with CH removed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Did you pinch the upper?

I didn't pinch the upper, I took it straight out of the packaging and started assembling. Nothing unusual happened during this build.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take the bolt off of the bcg and slide the carrier through the upper; if you feel resistance when it hits the gas tube you need to align it.

There's resistance all through the upper when sliding by hand. I'm going to coat the cutout for the gas key in the upper with white sharpie and see if there's a particular spot in the upper that is out of spec.

Most of the time once I chamber and fire a round I can't even pull the charging handle back by hand, I have to hit it with a rubber mallet just to break it free. I'm gonna try a new gas tube for good measure.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Most of the time once I chamber and fire a round I can't even pull the charging handle back by hand, I have to hit it with a rubber mallet just to break it free.
View Quote

you have something besides a tight upper going on.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#24]
To update this, I swapped all of the same parts to another upper (Aero Precision) and it runs flawlessly. Took the upper to a local small time gunsmith that I've dealt with for years and he assembled it with new parts and was having the same EXACT issue. When I showed up he let me try and pull the charging handle back and while it was a tiny bit easier to pull compared to when I assembled it, sure enough it was having the same issue.

Gunsmith offered me $35 for it to use around the shop as a dummy upper to temporarily mount some parts on. Guess he had an Anderson upper for this purpose but he cracked it last week. All in all I might try Anderson again, but I guess this is just another instance of getting the bad one of the batch. Seeing as how I only lost about $10 I can't complain too much.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures before taking it to him, but I did thoroughly look at it and couldn't find any excessive wear on the inside.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#25]
At least you found your problem. I've had the opposite experience with Anderson uppers and lowers. No issues with any of mine.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
At least you found your problem. I've had the opposite experience with Anderson uppers and lowers. No issues with any of mine.
View Quote

I can't base my opinion off of one experience, I'll  likely use their products again because they are so affordable. Once that changes, however, I'll stick to the trusted names.

I can say I've had zero problems with their lowers.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Did you pinch the upper?
View Quote

I believe he is asking if it was pinched or bent during assembly while in vise and action block.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#28]
If you don't want your next Anderson upper don't cut it up - I'll pay shipping to me and take it off your hands...

I just have never had an issue with them at all.  If nothing else I'd slap a load of jeweler's rouge in there with a junk BCG and charging handle and work them about 20 times, then clean it out and shoot the snot out of it...
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I can't base my opinion off of one experience, I'll  likely use their products again because they are so affordable. Once that changes, however, I'll stick to the trusted names.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. I've had no problems with their uppers or lowers. I own one upper and one lower from them, but at work, I've assembled 100+ Anderson lowers and haven't had a problem with any.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I believe he is asking if it was pinched or bent during assembly while in vise and action block.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you pinch the upper?

There's no way I pinched it myself, I use a nice vice block which pretty much eliminated the ability to crush an upper. On top of that I don't even have to torque it down enough to cause it to bend.

Quoted:
If you don't want your next Anderson upper don't cut it up - I'll pay shipping to me and take it off your hands...

I just have never had an issue with them at all.  If nothing else I'd slap a load of jeweler's rouge in there with a junk BCG and charging handle and work them about 20 times, then clean it out and shoot the snot out of it...

I actually tried a bit of polishing compound, which ironically my gunsmith suggested after the fact who was surprised I thought of it. But nevertheless the upper is in good hand at my local gunsmith now getting more use than I had out of it. Even the gunsmith confirmed it was likely a manufacturing error. He's been in business as a small time local gunsmith since before the AWB so I take his advice in high regards.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought an LWRC complete upper a few weeks ago. I couldn't get 3 separate BCGs to close on it.

Had to ship it back for a refund. It sucks, but sometimes "shit happens".

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
sometimes "shit happens".
View Quote

I have a feeling that this is the case here. I was just the unlucky one to receive the lemon of the batch.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top