Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/6/2016 9:28:38 PM EDT

Picked up a Colt Expanse M4 (CE1000) today and wanted to share some pictures.

Box content: PMAG, manual, chamber flag, lock

Barrel stamping looks like it's engraved.

Uses a different trigger.

The M4 stock uses a "shinier" plastic. (LE6920 top, Expanse bottom)

4U486 is P&S cage code.

Grip also has a shinier plastic. (LE6920 left, Expanse right)

"O" forge and doesn't have "C" stamp.

Bolt carrier is FA but doesn't have the "C" stamp. (Expanse top, LE6920 bottom)

Bolt carrier appears to be chrome lined.

Gas key staked (Expanse left, LE6920 right)

Bolt MPC (LE6920 left, Expanse right)

Feed ramps (LE6920 left, Expanse right)

Has the "4" and "S" stamps on the barrel extension. I noticed that instead of the gray coating found in the 6920, it's more of a smooth black/purple coating.

Barrel profile is thicker (LE6920 left, Expanse right)

I couldn't find a date stamp on the barrel.

Buffer isn't H/H2.

Hand guards uses single heat shields.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the comparison. Have you shot it yet?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome pics and comparison, thanks!  It's interesting that the bolt carrier and upper aren't stamped with the "C".  I wonder if those parts are contracted out?  The lower looks like a standard 6920 lower, just with a different FCG.  If you don't mind, what did you pay for it?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for the comparison. Have you shot it yet?
View Quote
Not yet. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Awesome pics and comparison, thanks!  It's interesting that the bolt carrier and upper aren't stamped with the "C".  I wonder if those parts are contracted out?  The lower looks like a standard 6920 lower, just with a different FCG.  If you don't mind, what did you pay for it?
View Quote
It was $700 new FTF.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Is that a QR code above the SAFE selector marking?  
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you get a shot of the gas rings around the bolt?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:45:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, see : https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/685837_New_Colt_Barrel_Markings__No_C______No_keyhole_on_lower_and_a_new_QR_code_instead_.html
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Remington is doing the same thing on their guns.  My new marlin 336Y came with one on the receiver.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:10:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Can you get a shot of the gas rings around the bolt?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#10]
So no forward assist but there is a hole drilled for it?
No port door but the hinges are there for it?
Is the barrel CL?

These really seem like nickle and dime cost savings depending on the cost of the "Colt" forward assist plug.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Is the barrel CL?

These really seem like nickle and dime cost savings depending on the cost of the "Colt" forward assist plug.

View Quote

The upper is a standard upper with the forward assist with role pin hole and ejection port hinges. The barrel isn't chrome lined I believe.

With manufacturing, you have to account for the cost of labor and time along with the cost of materials.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

the 6920 i got last summer has a QR code. it contains the model number and serial number. all other markings all over are as usual. nothing omitted or extra.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:38:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
the 6920 i got last summer has a QR code. it contains the model number and serial number. all other markings all over are as usual. nothing omitted or extra.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe the QR code contains Colt's cage code and serial number.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The upper is a standard upper with the forward assist with role pin hole and ejection port hinges. The barrel isn't chrome lined I believe.

With manufacturing, you have to account for the cost of labor and time along with the cost of materials.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the barrel CL?

True, I didn't think about that.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:37:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the barrel CL?

That's true, but how much labor time does it really cost to install the forward assist instead of a plug, and install a dust cover?  My guess is the cost savings is mostly the barrel and some contracted or leftover ban era parts like the FCG.  The forward assist and dust cover are left off mostly to give people a reason to upgrade to the more expensive models later and give them a budget model without making the other models seem too expensive.  Companies do it all the time, sell their products under a different brand cheaper or leave out a few small features so they can keep prices on their main line higher.  Frankly can still find 6920s for $850, or the OEM models for not much more than the Expanse.  The M&P Sport II has forward assist, dust cover, and chrome lined barrel for under $700.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:47:17 AM EDT
[#16]
lets hope that in time this will pass. I can see a run on all things colt prior to this new shit.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:52:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

That's true, but how much labor time does it really cost to install the forward assist instead of a plug, and install a dust cover?  My guess is the cost savings is mostly the barrel and some contracted or leftover ban era parts like the FCG.  The forward assist and dust cover are left off mostly to give people a reason to upgrade to the more expensive models later and give them a budget model without making the other models seem too expensive.  Companies do it all the time, sell their products under a different brand cheaper or leave out a few small features so they can keep prices on their main line higher.  Frankly can still find 6920s for $850, or the OEM models for not much more than the Expanse.  The M&P Sport II has forward assist, dust cover, and chrome lined barrel for under $700.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the barrel CL?

If Colt Defense were to establish a subsidiary, (companies do it all the time [sic]) it would have to be a bare minimum DBA or LLC which costs $$. I'm not defending Colt nor its intentions.

Find me a 6920 today for $850 please. Colt establishes a MSRP and it's up to individual retailers to set their own price tag. Will it be competitive with S&W's Sport II? Time will tell...

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:33:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If Colt Defense were to establish a subsidiary, (companies do it all the time [sic]) it would have to be a bare minimum DBA or LLC which costs $$. I'm not defending Colt nor its intentions.

Find me a 6920 today for $850 please. Colt establishes a MSRP and it's up to individual retailers to set their own price tag. Will it be competitive with S&W's Sport II? Time will tell...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the barrel CL?

Hence why Colt cut some small features instead of establishing a subsidiary.  Make a budget model with a few less small features so you can sell it at a lower profit margin to get into the lower priced market while having a way to justify the higher cost of the main line keeping it's higher profit margin.  Companies also often sell their product to another brand which it's sold under at a reduced price so they can keep their own brand priced higher.  There's several sites that have the 6920s with hydro dipped Magpul furniture listed as low as $750-$800, and according to slickguns some were in stock as recently as a few weeks ago.  Though currently you have to catch them in stock, as with most Colts and some other brands.  Likely going to take some time to catch an Expanse in stock as well.  There's OEM models for $800 or less if you look around.  The Expanse and Sport II MSRP are pretty close, and I've seen the Sport II for under $700.  The Expanse will likely be close to MSRP for a while just due to the brand name.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:36:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Can you add the FA?
The lower seems marked "M4 Carbine" is that correct?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:00:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Noticed it has the "F" FSB has the bayonet lug which was NOT shown at SHOT or on line.

CD
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:01:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Noticed it has the FSB has the bayonet lug which was NOT shown at SHOT or on line.

CD
View Quote

I noticed that too. It's also weird that it has the Colt extension and barrel with weird engraving, but the shot show pics had a (Remington?) Barrel. This gun is full of WTF, but I need that lower.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:04:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I noticed that too. It's also weird that it has the Colt extension but doesn't appear to be a Colt barrel. This gun is full of WTF, but I need that lower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Noticed it has the FSB has the bayonet lug which was NOT shown at SHOT or on line.

CD

I noticed that too. It's also weird that it has the Colt extension but doesn't appear to be a Colt barrel. This gun is full of WTF, but I need that lower.

What's special about the expanse lower except for the QR code?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:06:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

Nothing, I just need the lower.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:25:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Having the plug instead of the forward assist doesn't bother me that much; but man they could've at least put a dust cover on.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:52:33 AM EDT
[#25]
The more I look at it, the "kluger" it gets. I also just want the lower.
This said, it seems and OK deal for the price.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:27:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Is the forward assist plug removable?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:21:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is the forward assist plug removable?
View Quote

I'm sure it is. Wouldn't make sense for it not to be. Just a normal upper without parts installed to cut costs.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#28]
The "O" forge marked upper receiver. The only upper receivers I've seen that are marked as such are AO Precision receivers.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Does Colt make any non-castrated lowers for the peasants?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Looks like the Colt Match Hammer/Trigger set up.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Does Colt make any non-castrated lowers for the peasants?
View Quote

No, but Colt Competition did.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CD

New 6920 lowers have the QR code too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Yep, in for the lower at $700 for a clone build.
Wouldn't mind that P&S stock; goes with my P&S rail.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Might pick one up just for the lower. Not sure.

They could make a killing if they would just sell complete lowers.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#35]
The only thing I like about that rifle is the barrel profile.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the barrel CL?

Say 5K manufactured at who knows how much per hour they are paying. That adds up in a final cost expense outlay.  One saves say $.4.50 per, at manufacturing cost  probably more, for forward assist & ejection door.
That's $22,500 could be channeled elsewhere in the gun business.  Not sure about you. If i can save $20K + on the manufacturing side, it's a done deal.  That number doesn't include labor either.  

Dollar here, dollar there. It all adds up
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

FN also started putting this on the military M4 & M-16A4 late last year. No more sticker on the mag well.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Is the upper Teflon coated on the inside? What is the diameter of the barrel under the hand guards? If they made their chrome lined barrels like that it would be much better than the M4 profile. Your bolt is better than mine!
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Is the upper Teflon coated on the inside? What is the diameter of the barrel under the hand guards? If they made their chrome lined barrels like that it would be much better than the M4 profile. Your bolt is better than mine!
View Quote

It's not the gray coating, it's something else this time.

I don't have tools to properly measure the barrel.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Looks like the Colt Match Hammer/Trigger set up.  Enjoy!
View Quote

What kind of trigger is it? It seems odd for colt to be putting something like that in a budget gun
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can measure the circumference of the barrel by putting a piece of tape or paper around the barrel, marking it, and measuring it with a ruler.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Is the barrel CL?

View Quote
That's what I was thinking.  I thought the whole point of not including the DC and FA on budget guns was to save steps and cost in making the upper.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That's what I was thinking.  I thought the whole point of not including the DC and FA on budget guns was to save steps and cost in making the upper.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the barrel CL?

Yeah this gun has weird written all over it. Looks to be decent quality, but the mix-match of good lower, good FCG, strange barrel, shot show pics had a remington barrel, no bayo lug, forward assist hole has a plug in it, etc. Just a fucking weird gun for Colt to sell. If I could just get the lower by itself for cheap I'd be happy.

OP- does the expanse have a 4 position or 6 position receiver extension?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Say 5K manufactured at who knows how much per hour they are paying. That adds up in a final cost expense outlay.  One saves say $.4.50 per, at manufacturing cost  probably more, for forward assist & ejection door.

That's $22,500 could be channeled elsewhere in the gun business.  Not sure about you. If i can save $20K + on the manufacturing side, it's a done deal.  That number doesn't include labor either.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the barrel CL?

I don't care if they put the parts in a ziploc bag and throw them in the box for the end user to install; having the holes in the receiver but no parts reminds me of the blanked-off radio face and A/C vents in an old fleet truck.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

OP- does the expanse have a 4 position or 6 position receiver extension?
View Quote

4 position.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

You can measure the circumference of the barrel by putting a piece of tape or paper around the barrel, marking it, and measuring it with a ruler.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By Deadt

I don't care if they put the parts in a ziploc bag and throw them in the box for the end user to install; having the holes in the receiver but no parts reminds me of the blanked-off radio face and A/C vents in an old fleet truck.  

View Quote

haha that's a great analogy.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:20:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the barrel CL?

The Sport II does not have a chrome lined barrel.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:37:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the barrel CL?

It was originally supposed to, and buds and one or two other dealers still have it listed as chrome lined.  It appears S&W decided to change it to the same barrel as the original Sport.  Still get forward assist, dust cover, and nitride barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top