Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/5/2016 8:04:37 PM EDT
Ok so I bit the bullet and bought myself an SR 30 KAC lower. I got the SR30 because in this shitty state of California we cannot have SR 15 lowers as they are on the list of banned components we can't have here. The SR30 is a loop hole that I exploited.

Long story short, I really want to make this a complete KAC rifle when it's all said and done. I can sell my BCM gear and some other stuff towards a KAC MOD2 SR15 upper, but I am not sure if it's really worth the $1500-1700 dollar price tag. What do you guys think? Just keep my BCM KMR ELW-F upper, or go full on KAC? Do those KAC uppers really shoot that much better to justify the price and hassle getting the KAC? Thanks in advance guys, your expertise is appreciated greatly.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTKACF

In before the KAC fanbois.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Do those KAC uppers really shoot that much better to justify the price and hassle getting the KAC?
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The lower is half the reason I love KAC....

Save your money and enjoy the fruits of both companies.  Seriously.  I love my BCM ELWF KMR and I love my Mod 1's....
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The lower is half the reason I love KAC....

Save your money and enjoy the fruits of both companies.  Seriously.  I love my BCM ELWF KMR and I love my Mod 1's....
View Quote

Yeah, I am leaning on keeping the bcm upper, and putting some cash towards a t2 instead.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#5]
As a bcm fan, I can't see where a knights upper is night and day better, especially vs an elw/kmr upper.  I love mine.  

But if I had a Knights lower, I'd sure as shit put a Knights upper on it.  something about matched components is appealing to me.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#6]
It is a better upper in every way other than price. No one who has used both or at least understands the system differences will say otherwise. However, you have hit the point of diminishing returns unless you want it for the sake of having a KAC factory upper.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I first got an SR-30 lower because it was on sale. And it just grew from there.
If you already have the ELW barrel, I'd keep it and just save your money for the KAC because selling it, you'd lose some money.  Where are you in CA? I have an SR-30 lower with an SR-15 mod 2 upper. If you're nearby, you're free to try it out and see if it's something that you would like
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I already have a 16" kmr elw-f so if I were to get the kac upper, the 14.5 kmr upper would have to go. Now I'm leaning towards the kac upper again lol. Having a matched set would sure be sexy.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Love my BCM KMR ELW upper.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Keep the BCM upper.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:03:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I already have a 16" kmr elw-f so if I were to get the kac upper, the 14.5 kmr upper would have to go. Now I'm leaning towards the kac upper again lol. Having a matched set would sure be sexy.
View Quote

you around southern California? you're free to shoot mine
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:10:26 AM EDT
[#12]
As much as I like KAC gear, I'd keep the BCM and just save up for the SR15 upper. When you get that, you can then save up for a BCM lower and can have a back up/beater rifle.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:10:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Negligent Discharge.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:05:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I have an SR-15 mod 2 upper on a KAC SR-30 but if I was in your position I probably would not sell the BCM because it's already a good upper.

If you were starting out from scratch I would say yes go get the KAC upper.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:22:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I own a KMR upper and a few Mod 1 uppers. The KAC uppers have to be experienced to be appreciated, and even then, some people won't get it.  

I love my Mod 1 uppers and my BCM KMR upper is my dedicated beater gun. I really don't trust the KMR rail or Keymod.

The Mod 2 MLOK is a thing of beauty.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:30:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As much as I like KAC gear, I'd keep the BCM and just save up for the SR15 upper. When you get that, you can then save up for a BCM lower and can have a back up/beater rifle.
View Quote

That was going to be my suggestion as well. No reason to ditch the BCM upper - especially not in this market.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:05:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In San Diego. You?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes.

Better bolt life.

Softer shooting, and you'll have a KAC rifle with your SR-30 lower.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

In San Diego. You?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In San Diego. You?

South LA/OC. If you make it up sometime, you're free to shoot it as much as you want. Or maybe I'll head down there sometime soon. Either way, offer stands. Then again, an hour and a halfish drive each way might be worthwhile to help you decide if you want to drop the coin
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Dont mess with your current rifle.

When finances allow, pick up a complete SR15 Mod 2 16" and call it a day.

Every AR shooter should have a good 14.5 (which you have) and a good 16".
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Dont mess with your current rifle.

When finances allow, pick up a complete SR15 Mod 2 16" and call it a day.

Every AR shooter should have a good 14.5 (which you have) and a good 16".
View Quote

In the commie state of California, I cannot buy sr15 complete rifles. I already have a 16" elw-f w/ kmr, so if I were to unload the 14.5 elw-f I'd still be good to go. I think I'm going to get an sr15 upper and just call it a day. If I can get close to 700 for this bcm upper with a bolt and charging handle, and pinned mod 1 comp I'll be able to piece together the rest of the funds.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I would get the SR-15 upper and sell the BCM upper.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#23]
So I made my decision. Decided to list my KMR upper on Calguns for $750. Told myself if it sold for that I would get the KAC. It sold within 15 minutes lol. Looks like I will have a complete KAC rifle sooner than later. Know anybody that wants a new set of Magpul MBUS pro sights? LMK
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That was going to be my suggestion as well. No reason to ditch the BCM upper - especially not in this market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sold it for a little bit more than I paid luckily, because of that free bcg they were giving away at one time. So much for this crap market. The guy still saved himself some cash though so hes stoked.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So I made my decision. Decided to list my KMR upper on Calguns for $750. Told myself if it sold for that I would get the KAC. It sold within 15 minutes lol. Looks like I will have a complete KAC rifle sooner than later. Know anybody that wants a new set of Magpul MBUS pro sights? LMK
View Quote

Congrats on the sale! You're going to love the KAC. The first day I got my KAC, I let my friend shoot it who had a 14.5" ELF-W with KMR and their pinned comp. He shot mine and stated he shouldn't have done that, because now he likes mine so much better. But then again, mine also has a pinned MAMS, so it wasn't stock
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Congrats on the sale! You're going to love the KAC. The first day I got my KAC, I let my friend shoot it who had a 14.5" ELF-W with KMR and their pinned comp. He shot mine and stated he shouldn't have done that, because now he likes mine so much better. But then again, mine also has a pinned MAMS, so it wasn't stock
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, mine shoots pretty flat as well. Was shooting a Federal XM193 5.56

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I might be interested in your MBUS Pro sights if they're still available.  Shoot me an email with a price.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I might be interested in your MBUS Pro sights if they're still available.  Shoot me an email with a price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ended up unloading them to the guy that bought the upper
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I hate you because now I'm debating of doing the same thing.  Did you get the sr15 yet?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ok so I bit the bullet and bought myself an SR 30 KAC lower. I got the SR30 because in this shitty state of California we cannot have SR 15 lowers as they are on the list of banned components we can't have here. The SR30 is a loop hole that I exploited.

Long story short, I really want to make this a complete KAC rifle when it's all said and done. I can sell my BCM gear and some other stuff towards a KAC MOD2 SR15 upper, but I am not sure if it's really worth the $1500-1700 dollar price tag. What do you guys think? Just keep my BCM KMR ELW-F upper, or go full on KAC? Do those KAC uppers really shoot that much better to justify the price and hassle getting the KAC? Thanks in advance guys, your expertise is appreciated greatly.
View Quote

If you're asking the question......you already know the answer!
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I hate you because now I'm debating of doing the same thing.  Did you get the sr15 yet?
View Quote

It comes on wednesday. Bought the last 14.5 mod 2 available on the internet, and saved 150 in doing so. AVguns has killer prices on KAC uppers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

indeed. Will have the upper here wednesday. Then gonna get myself a mams for it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It comes on wednesday. Bought the last 14.5 mod 2 available on the internet, and saved 150 in doing so. AVguns has killer prices on KAC uppers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Avguns prices aren't that great, but they aren't terrible.  

I couldn't unload a bnib Mod2 for $1850 a few months ago.  Went with all mod 1s.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I couldn't unload a bnib Mod2 for $1850 a few months ago.  Went with all mod 1s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I beg to differ on that. Every other shop had the upper I bought listed for 1700-1720. I picked it up on avguns for 1550.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was SO Tempted to pick that up when you had it listed......could always use a spare.
Sadly had a few projects going on at the time and was tapped out.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#36]
For me personally, I'd have to get a KAC upper or sell the lower and replace it with BCM. I just can't stand having a lower from company A and an upper from company B.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
For me personally, I'd have to get a KAC upper or sell the lower and replace it with BCM. I just can't stand having a lower from company A and an upper from company B.

View Quote

yeah going all KAC on this rifle. Now I need to pick up that mams, micro qd mount, micro battery cover etc lol
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I beg to differ on that. Every other shop had the upper I bought listed for 1700-1720. I picked it up on avguns for 1550.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, that is pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AVGuns is about 20 minutes from my house. I just picked up my SR15 Mod2 fom them on Saturday. Here it is next to my BCM EHL-F
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
AVGuns is about 20 minutes from my house.
View Quote

Same here. They have a nice shop and have been welcoming.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Any reason you went with the 14.5 vs the 16?  Both use the same gas system, right?
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Any reason you went with the 14.5 vs the 16?  Both use the same gas system, right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just to have a little shorter rifle. I love how a 14.5" barrled rifle with a keymod rail feels. Super light. It was also replacing a 14.5" bcm so figured just get another. Just a pain in the ass having to find someone competent enough to install that mams on there. I think I am going to send it off to ayan at boltcarrier.com
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:42:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Just to have a little shorter rifle. I love how a 14.5" barrled rifle with a keymod rail feels. Super light. It was also replacing a 14.5" bcm so figured just get another. Just a pain in the ass having to find someone competent enough to install that mams on there. I think I am going to send it off to ayan at boltcarrier.com
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't let anyone short of Ayan or Marvin Pitts pin a MAMs on a KAC barrel.  Ayan's much faster than Marvin, though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Does a pinned mams or 3 prong flash hider make the 14.5 legal?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I know the MAMS does for sure, no 100% positive on the FH though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:57:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Does a pinned mams or 3 prong flash hider make the 14.5 legal?
View Quote

I believe it does. Ayan offers on his site the option to pin the 14.5" and remove from NFA for free. Also, Operation Parts states on there site: "Note: The factory 3 prong flash hider can be pinned to bring the upper to a non-NFA 16" barrel length.  We can also swap the flash hider our for other muzzle devices before shipping.  Just contact us to discuss your needs."
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top