Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:35:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would send it to them if they'd take it and get one that isn't questionable.  I can't blame whoever parted it out for parting it out once they seen the bolt.  Colt is a great company and probably one of the top 5 AR15 manufacturers but everyone is capable of mistakes and after producing so many rifles eventually there is going to be a problem with one of them.  The QC department really should have caught this but perhaps they were taking a smoke break when this bolt went through their station.  Same thing could have happened on a DD, BCM, FN, etc.  And is another reason I am often happy with a cheaper PSA or ToolCraft and to do my own QC inspection upon arrival for half the price.
View Quote

You are checking material type and hardness?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:36:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think you will be happy with any answer I give, but I will not buy a bolt unless it is made from C158 material if that answers your material question.  If I remember right almost all of the C158 bolts come from one of a couple places unlike many of the 9310 bolts being made by smaller manufacturers.  The carriers I don't really care that much about as long as they are M16 profile 8620 and have a staked gas key.  By doing my own inspection I am talking about for obvious defects such as this bolt by the OP that should have never left Colts factory.  All the bolts I get are usually MPI/HP tested as well which should show any defects the same as a Colt would.  Everyone makes mistakes, and I figure overall Colt has a lower percentage of bolts that get past QC inspections that are bad then someone like PSA or ToolCraft.  But I doubt the percentages are that far off, maybe not even any.

There really doesn't seem to be that much difference in any of the well known BCGs as long as they are made out of milspec C158 bolts - I know many will disagree with me on this and it is your right to do so.  I don't blame anyone for wanting to get a well known high quality bolt from Colt or BCM or FN, but I really don't think PSA or ToolCraft will fail any earlier then the more expensive ones for half the price.  If I had to pick one out of any of them I would choose the BCM just because they seem to go the extra mile for QC inspections and it is more likely if you ordered 10,000 BCGs from them that you would probably not have any issues like this whereas one of the others you might have 1 bad one - but I doubt it. For a lot of people like myself, we are happy to get a BCG for $80 instead of $170 that 99.9999% of the time will be just as good as the more expensive one right out of the box.  And if not you will generally be able to tell rather quickly.  Check out the 100,000 round + M4 thread where all the PSA bolts are holding up just as long as the higher priced bolts.  Please don't take this post as me bashing Colt, as that is not the case.  I love Colt products and would be happy if all of my rifles were Colts, but I like to shop around and know if the extra money is really worth spending on a product and in this case I just don't see it being worth it.  Maybe if the price difference was $20-30 instead of over twice as much as the cheaper ones.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:06:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
FWIW, I recently bought a 6921 upper new(would have to look at build date) and the rings look normal, not like the OP.  On a side note, the bolt in that upper was marked with a "C" but there are no markings what so ever on the bolt itself.
View Quote

Have you been firing the rifle yet?  The bolt markings are so fine, carbon easily obscures them.  Clean the bolt and I bet the marking show up.  When I checked mine for this thread, I had to clean one of them before I could see the markings.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:09:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Just squeeze another gas ring in there. Looks like that would solve the problem of them moving around.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Did you/are you going to send it to them? I think they're going to keep your bolt and send out a replacement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colt replied to my contact (including a picture) and is wanting the bolt to inspect.

Did you/are you going to send it to them? I think they're going to keep your bolt and send out a replacement.

I'm still waiting on shipping information. I will send it in and get it replaced with a bolt that's in spec if I can.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would send it to them if they'd take it and get one that isn't questionable.  I can't blame whoever parted it out for parting it out once they seen the bolt.  Colt is a great company and probably one of the top 5 AR15 manufacturers but everyone is capable of mistakes and after producing so many rifles eventually there is going to be a problem with one of them.  The QC department really should have caught this but perhaps they were taking a smoke break when this bolt went through their station.  Same thing could have happened on a DD, BCM, FN, etc.  And is another reason I am often happy with a cheaper PSA or ToolCraft and to do my own QC inspection upon arrival for half the price.
View Quote

If it passed QA/QC, whoever installed the gas rings should have noticed it. Of course, the person installing the gas rings could have no knowledge about what the bolt should or shouldn't be profiled like.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just squeeze another gas ring in there. Looks like that would solve the problem of them moving around.
View Quote

The distance between the ridges is correct at the bottom of the groove so that the rings are in the correct position when compressed. There is just less support at the outer part of the rings.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it possible the rings weren't installed by a person but a machine?  If it was a person doing it I don't know that you could claim ignorance to the bolt design since he/she would obviously see 1000s of them a day.  Just like if I was to work on a bike pedal that I have no knowledge or interest in - if I seen 1000 or more of them a day I am sure I would notice if something wasn't right.  

Glad to hear they are taking care of you though.  In a way I am a little surprised they took it back so easily.  If you were the original owner that is one thing, but buying it from another individual I figured there would at least be a couple questions involved with who you got it from and his purchase etc.  I figure this is a fairly rare occurrence for them though and it is always best to make the customer happy if it is your mistake because you never know who may be watching the results - such as 1000s of fellow members here.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#9]
What did Colt say?
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Colt has the BCG, no word yet.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I got a replacement bolt today. This one doesn't have the large radii that the original had. All they said was that there was excessive play in the bolt rings.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Stamping and dot matrix are different processes.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know a company is in trouble when they move to dot matrix markings lol.

Newb, all USGI bolts since they started being marked are done this way. If you're thinking of laser engraving, that's purely a commercial market process.

Stamping and dot matrix are different processes.

No. Stamping is a process. Dot matrix is a pattern. You can have a stamped dot matrix.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top