User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#1]
If it was just for one gun only I would go with a 308 like a Scar but if this was my overall budget I would go the BCM upper, Lower, Giessele, Aimpoint, 20 mags, 2k-3k rounds.
Or 6920 and as many cases of rounds as possible(can always upgrade later).
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:44:39 AM EDT
[#2]
LVOA Warsport
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:30:24 AM EDT
[#3]
OK, here is more info....I am relatively new to the AR market bought a DD V9 on a whim about a year ago and I liked it but i sold it to a buddy of mine, I got the majority of my money back so i am thinking i can throw a little more money at the next rifle and take it up a notch. I have been looking at an Arsenal Democracy but I have not fully decided yet. Sounds like KAC is very respected and highly favored....just not sure i will be able to get my money back if i want to sell the AD. I want quality but I also want something that will be able to hold its value. The other aspect to my problem is that since i am new to the AR market, will be able to fully appreciate a $2300+ gun  or will a $1000 to $1500 feel just as good as a $2300 gun in my novice hands?

Thanks for your feed back
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:59:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK, here is more info....I am relatively new to the AR market bought a DD V9 on a whim about a year ago and I liked it but i sold it to a buddy of mine, I got the majority of my money back so i am thinking i can throw a little more money at the next rifle and take it up a notch. I have been looking at an Arsenal Democracy but I have not fully decided yet. Sounds like KAC is very respected and highly favored....just not sure i will be able to get my money back if i want to sell the AD. I want quality but I also want something that will be able to hold its value. The other aspect to my problem is that since i am new to the AR market, will be able to fully appreciate a $2300+ gun  or will a $1000 to $1500 feel just as good as a $2300 gun in my novice hands?

View Quote

What was it about the DD you didn't like?

I'm partial to KAC and own a few and that would be my suggestion as well but, you have to realize that certain parts are proprietary and you can't just swap those parts around like a standard AR. Having said that, in my opinion, the SR15 is pretty much a turn key rifle and you just need to add an optic of your choice. That's only if it offers the features you like and if you're a tinker type of person, it may not be the right rifle for you.

I do not know you personally or know your experience when it comes to shooting AR's but, I can personally feel the difference when I shoot a stock SR15 and shoot a rifle with a similar barrel profile and standard gas system. You can install comps and play around with buffers to get the same results and I have a BCM middy that shoots just as soft as some of my SR15's.

It's been stated over and over what goes into making the SR15 different from the rest out there so, just search some past threads here and read what others have said if you're interested. I would be just as content with any reliable AR and I own rifles from LMT, Noveske, LWRC, Colt, Larue, and a few others that I'd trust my life to but, I would grab one of my SR15's if the need were to ever arise.

Where in Florida are you located? You can meet up when we hit the range next and run a few mags through some of my and my friends rifles to see how certain ones feel.

ETA: I live in JAX btw..

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:30:20 AM EDT
[#5]
KAC 14.5" mod 2. I have one, and it's the best AR I have ever shot. Super accurate and light too
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:52:13 AM EDT
[#6]
KAC SR-15 Mod2
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:27:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The other aspect to my problem is that since i am new to the AR market, will be able to fully appreciate a $2300+ gun  or will a $1000 to $1500 feel just as good as a $2300 gun in my novice hands?

View Quote

I'd recommend a ~$1000 AR with a good optic. Also take into account mags, ammo, sling, light, etc in your budget. I'd rather have a $500 BCM upper with a PSA lower, ACOG and a few thousand rounds of ammo, than a $2000 AR with iron sights and a few boxes of ammo.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

LMT Defender, Geissele Mk4, SWFA 1-4x, Surefire Mini Scout, 7 mags, and anything left on ammo.
View Quote

Solid plan right here. ^^^^
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:Arsenal Democracy
View Quote

No.

The only reason to buy this overpriced unproven rifle is if you already had a bunch of ARs for shooting and just wanted a safe queen. And even then, it wouldn't be my first choice, or 5th, or 10th. There is nothing special about that gun.

ETA: the very first picture on their website shows an optic mounted at the improper height. Look how much the shooter is having to jam his face into the stock to use it, and even then, I don't think his eye is level with it.
http://www.arsenaldemocracy.com/#reaper-highlight

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:51:56 AM EDT
[#10]
complete lower for ~$300

Build buy a decent upper for ~$500

Spend ~$500 on a red dot/variable depending on use

At least 1000 rounds of plinking ammo + a few hundred high quality self defense ammo ~$500

Light/sling/accessories with the rest.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No.

The only reason to buy this overpriced unproven rifle is if you already had a bunch of ARs for shooting and just wanted a safe queen. And even then, it wouldn't be my first choice, or 5th, or 10th. There is nothing special about that gun.

ETA: the very first picture on their website shows an optic mounted at the improper height. Look how much the shooter is having to jam his face into the stock to use it, and even then, I don't think his eye is level with it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No.

Agreed, OP if you know you're in this game for the long haul buy a KAC. If it's just a hobby that you might lose interest in grab a BCM or DD, that way it would be a easy resale. I build all of my AR's because I'm in it for the long haul so I never worry about reselling them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Agreed, OP if you know you're in this game for the long haul buy a KAC. If it's just a hobby that you might lose interest in grab a BCM or DD, that way it would be a easy resale. I build all of my AR's because I'm in it for the long haul so I never worry about reselling them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

IfI had $2300 I would buy a  PSA $700 rifle, a single bullet, and 50LBS of Tannerite and a box of Fruity Pebbles.  Lets make some memories.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:21:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Your average shooter can't or won't be able to tell the difference between a 6920 and a Mod 2.

First time AR owner? If I  had 2300 to spend, I would buy a solid rifle, like a 6920 or a BCM on whatever lower of your choice. I would then get 10  magazines and a case of ammo. I would take the rest and spend it on training classes....and ammo.

After that i would buy a quality optic and light.

All of this is contingent on what you will be using the rifle for.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

DD is very respected and makes great quality guns. I'd say KAC is the best, but it's not by much. You act like DD is Bushmaster or something, when DD is highly regarded.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

DD is very respected and makes great quality guns. I'd say KAC is the best, but it's not by much. You act like DD is Bushmaster or something, when DD is highly regarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it sounds fishy. Implies DD isn't a good enough rifle, and then mentions some silly boutique company. OP are you wanting a safe queen or wall hanger, or a rifle that works reliably and accurately? Do you want to shoot targets at 50 yards, or go to training? Is this a status symbol or a working gun?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
BCM or DD of your choice and Aimpoint or ACOG of your choice.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Why go cheap with DD or COLT if you have the money to buy the best Right away?

When buying a car, you don't buy a Kia of you can afford a BMW/Porsche/Benz just because you won't appreciate the better one. You buy the better one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When buying a car, you don't buy a Kia of you can afford a BMW/Porsche/Benz just because you won't appreciate the better one. You buy the better one.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

DD/Colt = KIA?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

DD/Colt = KIA?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DD/Colt = KIA?

This
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DD/Colt = KIA?

This

I think that's accurate, they are dependable, affordable, no bells and whistles, behind on the newest things that are nice but aren't necessarily needed.  Some of the newest KIA's are pretty nice; a lady I work with has a 10 year old one with 250,000 miles on it.  DD is more of a Ford or Chevy truck.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#22]
In order:
KAC SR15 MOD 2
LaRue Predatar + optic
LaRue PredatOBR
DDM4v11 + optic
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I think that's accurate, they are dependable, affordable, no bells and whistles, behind on the newest things that are nice but aren't necessarily needed.  Some of the newest KIA's are pretty nice; a lady I work with has a 10 year old one with 250,000 miles on it.  DD is more of a Ford or Chevy truck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DD/Colt = KIA?

This

What's the "bells and whistles"? I mean you can get a Geissele trigger.... JUST AS GOOD if not better than a KAC trigger, and the G trigger costs 220-230, but KAC will charge 300+.

When it comes to the slightly updated gas system design and bolt, that's about all they offer that DD or Colt doesn't offer.

I agree that KAC is at the top, but I think DD and such are very close behind it. It's not like KAC has a big lead on everyone. And for many of the features you're just paying for the name because the other guns have the same features.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What's the "bells and whistles"? I mean you can get a Geissele trigger.... JUST AS GOOD if not better than a KAC trigger, and the G trigger costs 220-230, but KAC will charge 300+.

When it comes to the slightly updated gas system design and bolt, that's about all they offer that DD or Colt doesn't offer.

I agree that KAC is at the top, but I think DD and such are very close behind it. It's not like KAC has a big lead on everyone. And for many of the features you're just paying for the name because the other guns have the same features.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DD/Colt = KIA?

This

I'm not slighting either brand so don't take it as such.  I agree DD and other brands are very close behind, I mentioned that in an earlier post.  I think with KAC you are paying more for little things that add up: Ambi lower, upgraded trigger as you mentioned, upgraded stock, pinned gas block, KAC sights, the gas system and bolt and the rail.  Some of that is visual, most is functional.  I disagree that you are paying more just because of the name.  DD rifles for example are around $1700 add $150 for flip up sights another $150 for a trigger of the same quality as a KAC and if you wanted to upgrade your bolt to like the LMT version you would pay a little more; add in the fact that KAC has an ambi lower and I think you are basically getting what you paid for.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

DD/Colt = KIA?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DD/Colt = KIA?

Would Ford make you feel better instead of KIA?

All I'm trying to tell OP is that he shouldn't buy a lesser model when he can afford the best. You can't slap a better trigger into a DD and have the same thing. It's not possible. The KAC will have better features and more upgrades over just a trigger.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:54:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

All I'm trying to tell OP is that he shouldn't buy a lesser model when he can afford the best. You can't slap a better trigger into a DD and have the same thing. It's not possible. The KAC will have better features and more upgrades over just a trigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DD/Colt = KIA?

Except with the DD you get a superb option and can buy an optic, sling, mags, and ammo.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#27]
CWAR.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#28]
But what if the OP has $2300 set aside for the gun alone? We're assuming that $2300 is all he has set aside for the whole package, but what if he has money set aside for accessories and ammo too
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Glock 19
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:07:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Nothing fishy here.....i had a DD sold it to a buddy of mine and now I am looking at getting a better rifle than a DD. I am not saying DD is a bad gun.....just looking for something different.  I am not looking for a safe queen, I plan on having only 1 AR and i figured that i would step it up a notch on the next buy. Accuracy, reliability and a long life span are a must. I also want an AR  that holds its value. My over all game plan is to shoot around 1000-2000 rounds a year at the range and i plan on investing in some training classes about once a year. The budget is $2000-$2300 knowing that i will have to invest in optics and accessories later on down the road.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:19:12 AM EDT
[#31]

What was it about the DD you didn't like?

I'm partial to KAC and own a few and that would be my suggestion as well but, you have to realize that certain parts are proprietary and you can't just swap those parts around like a standard AR. Having said that, in my opinion, the SR15 is pretty much a turn key rifle and you just need to add an optic of your choice. That's only if it offers the features you like and if you're a tinker type of person, it may not be the right rifle for you.

I do not know you personally or know your experience when it comes to shooting AR's but, I can personally feel the difference when I shoot a stock SR15 and shoot a rifle with a similar barrel profile and standard gas system. You can install comps and play around with buffers to get the same results and I have a BCM middy that shoots just as soft as some of my SR15's.

It's been stated over and over what goes into making the SR15 different from the rest out there so, just search some past threads here and read what others have said if you're interested. I would be just as content with any reliable AR and I own rifles from LMT, Noveske, LWRC, Colt, Larue, and a few others that I'd trust my life to but, I would grab one of my SR15's if the need were to ever arise.

Where in Florida are you located? You can meet up when we hit the range next and run a few mags through some of my and my friends rifles to see how certain ones feel.

ETA: I live in JAX btw..

It is not that I didnt like the DD just ended up selling it and i thought i would try to upgrade in the process. I live in the panhandle, I grew up in Jax and was just over there last weekend to take The Reston Group CC Deployment class. I am not in any hurry to make my purchase so i may take you up on your offer the next time i am in Jax. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:38:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It is not that I didnt like the DD just ended up selling it and i thought i would try to upgrade in the process. I live in the panhandle, I grew up in Jax and was just over there last weekend to take The Reston Group CC Deployment class. I am not in any hurry to make my purchase so i may take you up on your offer the next time i am in Jax. Thanks
View Quote

I know Jared very well and have taken several of his classes also. When he's not traveling, we shoot at the same matches most of the time. Just give me a heads up when you're going to be over this way. I work at the Gun Gallery on Saturday's and can bring my rifles in so you can shoot them on our rifle range if we can't make it out to the outdoor private range I'm a member at. It's in St Aug right down the road from where Jared hosts his classes.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top