Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/3/2016 10:52:47 PM EDT
I'm kicking around the idea of building a 14.5" SBR with a dimpled barrel. Looking for a good source for one.

Oh and I'm looking for something that is 1/7 twist, 5.56 chamber, carbine gas, chrome or melonite lined, and made from 41V50 steel.

This is what I mean by dimpled.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#1]
BCM
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#2]
You talking about gas block dimples?
Dimple spacing varies with gas block manufacturer, so a pre-dimpled barrel limits your choice of blocks.
You can buy a simple dimple jig here, not too expensive and it works well.

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=jig

Although it's primarily designed for 0.400 and 0.450 spacing, you can easily use it to create any spaced pair of dimples.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:31:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Whatever barrel you want and send it to Marvin Pitts. I think a Colt SOCOM barrel would be a good candidate.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Just so we are clear, I'm talking about an entirely dimpled barrel.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whatever barrel you want and send it to Marvin Pitts. I think a Colt SOCOM barrel would be a good candidate.
View Quote

I thought about that, but the grenade launcher cuts ruin the look.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:49:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Get the barrel you want and send it to Marvin Pitts at Nefarious Arms. He is the only person licensed to use the Knights Armament pattern dimples you have pictured in the original post. Another person that works closely with Marvin and may have the barrel you described would be Ayan over at BoltCarrier.com. The only thing is that I do not think he's using a carbine length gas system and is toying around with something similar to the KAC gas length.

I'll try and dig up the thread he has in the Knights sub-forum posting info about them.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:18:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I've been eyeing a Knights barrel, but was curious what else is out there, and I'd prefer carbine on a 14.5".
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:24:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You could try to find a 16" version as those don't have the cuts.   ***not the giant rear cut, at least. That one would obviously have to be cut down as well.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:27:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Send it to ADCO
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:35:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Nobody else does dimples from the factory except KAC (now discontinued). Buy the barrel you want and send it to Marvin Pitts.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:53:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is an example of Marvins work. He's done many Noveske barrels like this for me.  Love my 14.5 dimpled Afghan.

It was hard to let this one go.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:58:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here is an example of Marvins work. He's done many Noveske barrels like this for me.  Love my 14.5 dimpled Afghan.

View Quote

That's a work of art right there!  I've got a spare Noveske barrel laying around, definitely will send it to Marvin sometime down the road.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm thinking of. That is a real beauty.

Thanks for the advice folks.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#13]
You know what you want to do.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#14]
You can't see much of it here, but Marvin did the barrel on my Recce. I'm very happy with it.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#15]
What kind of price would someone be looking at for a Marvin Pitts dimple job on a DD 11.5", roughly?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Is this primarily a cooling issue or is it more cosmetic? I saw a guy at the range last month who's barrel was not dimpled but "threaded" which I'm guessing achieves a similar purpose?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I did it for weight reduction.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What kind of price would someone be looking at for a Marvin Pitts dimple job on a DD 11.5", roughly?
View Quote

$150 behind the gas block, $45 in front.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:34:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not too bad.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's not too bad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not too bad.

FYI, that is just for an 11.5" barrel, longer barrels are more expensive.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#21]
For those interested I have made some models comparing dimpling, fluting, and re-profiling. Dimpling removes the least weight and re-profiling removes the most.

This is a picture comparing three 10" SOCOM diameter barrels I modeled so they would all have the same mass. The dimpled barrel had the smallest minimum diameter (.570"), followed by the fluted (.664"), and then finally the re-profiled barrel (.770"). The dimpled barrel had the most surface area of the three. A 16" barrel would have approximately twice as much difference. I do not know the exact measurements any company uses to dimple or flute their barrels, I simply used a .250" ball end mill and spaced them based on the pictures I have seen. Most likely they won't remove as much weight as I did, this was only for comparison.

The dimpling does look the best IMO. Based on cost and how much weight I wanted to lose, I chose to re-profile my barrels.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#22]
For reference, here's a few of the before/after dimpling jobs on some of the Noveske stainless steel barrels I've had Marvin dimple.  I chose to keep the medium profile and dimple vs fluting or reprofiling.  Reprofiling really changes the characteristics of the barrel and I didn't want that for these particular barrels.  I would be very interested in seeing scientific before/after deflection and accuracy testing using the various methods.

Noveske 5.56 10.5 SS CQB Stripped BEFORE - 23.2oz
Noveske 5.56 10.5 SS CQB Stripped AFTER - 18.8oz
DECREASE OF 4.4oz

Noveske 5.56 14.5 SS Afghan Stripped BEFORE - 31.2oz
Noveske 5.56 14.5 SS Afghan Stripped AFTER - 25.2oz
DECREASE of 6.0oz

Noveske 7.62 16 SS AR10 Stripped BEFORE - 38.8oz
Noveske 7.62 16 SS AR10 Stripped AFTER - 32.9oz
DECREASE of 5.9oz
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not too bad.

I figured. So that means you're probably somewhere around $300 to dimple a 14.5" barrel?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I figured. So that means you're probably somewhere around $300 to dimple a 14.5" barrel?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not too bad.

The $45 charge changes to a $75 charge at that length. Also, these don't include refinishing either AFAIK. From Nefarious Arms that is $55 for Parkerizing, $95 for Cerakote.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:10:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

For those interested I have made some models comparing dimpling, fluting, and re-profiling. Dimpling removes the least weight and re-profiling removes the most.

This is a picture comparing three 10" SOCOM diameter barrels I modeled so they would all have the same mass. The dimpled barrel had the smallest minimum diameter (.570"), followed by the fluted (.664"), and then finally the re-profiled barrel (.770"). The dimpled barrel had the most surface area of the three. A 16" barrel would have approximately twice as much difference. I do not know the exact measurements any company uses to dimple or flute their barrels, I simply used a .250" ball end mill and spaced them based on the pictures I have seen. Most likely they won't remove as much weight as I did, this was only for comparison.

The dimpling does look the best IMO. Based on cost and how much weight I wanted to lose, I chose to re-profile my barrels.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk148/pezboytate/Firearms/DIMPLED%20AND%20FLUTED%20BARRELS.png
View Quote

Nice job. It looks to me like fluting is still the best value.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
.....  I would be very interested in seeing scientific before/after deflection and accuracy testing using the various methods.
View Quote

I'm curious about this as well.  Wonder if Molon has done tests on these?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Marvin did two for me

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#28]
That second one looks similar to what I'm going for. Only with a Geissele rail and a muzzle device that works with a halo.

Well done.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I updated my models to more closely reflect the amount of weight loss Brahmzy reported. I used a .3125" ball end mill and this time I put the total external surface area from the front of the extension to the back of the muzzle threads on the drawing along with the minimum diameter.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top