Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/30/2015 7:57:16 PM EDT
OK so I got a screaming deal on a Rock River LE 1040 from my LGS. NIB never shot but at the factory, and now I am looking to build it up. I am wondering since I am a noob with ARs but not to guns. What things would you guys and gals do. No quad rail yet I have a EO Tech and not much more. Please let me know. I want a quad on it but if the price is right maybe a total new upper receiver.
Thanks in advance
Mark
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I'm a lefty so here is where I start:

1.) Mega arms slide lock charging handle or Rainier Arms Raptor $50-80
2.)CAA stock cheek saddle (makes a signfigant improvement on cheek weld). $20
3.) Ambi/single point sling mount. $10-20
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Would you go with the ambi safety?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Honestly, I've become so use to the standard safety that I've never used an ambi safety. The big handicap for left handers on an AR-15 is the charging handle IMO. Mag release actually works in a left handers favor. Safety is so-so. Oh, forgot to mention, I also buy a new grip. I like the Ergo ambi grip and B5 systems. I have them both on my ARs.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea the grip and butstock are def on the list too!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would you go with the ambi safety?
View Quote

As a lefty, yep or a reversed single sided safety. The nice thing on ambi safeties is how easy you can sweep them back on.

However a normal safety is quite good if you are right handed.

I would swap out the grip, with a LaRue APEG or a 'steep angle' Magpul K2.

Any other mods, I would suggest you wait on until you shoot the rifle some.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:16:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Personally I would do this:

- Ditch the handguard and fixed FSB
- Replace with low pro gas block
- Add Geissele or ALG rail if on a budget
- Sell EOTech
- Use those funds for an Aimpoint PRO
- Ditch grip and stock
- Add Ergo grip and B5 SOPMOD or UCIW stock

Obviously people have preferences on exact parts, so anything quality will do. I've never felt the need for a cheek rest or ambi safety. Skip a full quad rail, and add a light if it will be for HD.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Personally I would do this:

- Ditch the handguard and fixed FSB
- Replace with low pro gas block
- Add Geissele or ALG rail if on a budget
- Sell EOTech
- Use those funds for an Aimpoint PRO
- Ditch grip and stock
- Add Ergo grip and B5 SOPMOD or UCIW stock

Obviously people have preferences on exact parts, so anything quality will do. I've never felt the need for a cheek rest or ambi safety. Skip a full quad rail, and add a light if it will be for HD.
View Quote

Ok fixed FSB not sure what that is. Also what is the low pro gas block for?
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#8]
First thing I would do is load up some ammo, of varying types, and get to know the rifle and make sure it works.  Otherwise, you will be like some people, change out this and that right out of the box, dork something up along the way, and can't figure out why your rifle sucks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the post above mine about shooting what you have is great advice.  Try your Eotech,  I am a Aimpoint Pro fan, but find out if Eotech works for you....Then get a Aimpoint PRO, you don't have to ditch the Front Sight Base (FSB), but if you do you need a gas block to replace the builtin gas block in the FSB.

Just shoot it some decide what YOU like.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Ah ok now it makes sense. How do i loose the FSB then if I want to take it off?
And shooting it is gonna happen in a couple weeks. Probably after the new year. Just wanted to get ideas for myself.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know how yours is fastened some are with set screws pn the bottom.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
First thing I would do is load up some ammo, of varying types, and get to know the rifle and make sure it works.  Otherwise, you will be like some people, change out this and that right out of the box, dork something up along the way, and can't figure out why your rifle sucks.
View Quote

This.  Shoot it and figure out what you need verses what you want.  I am a HUGE red dot guy so I would go ahead and buy a Aimpoint ACO or PRO.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I would never recommend anyone buy an ACO at the current prices.  With the number and type of features they lack, compared to the PRO, they are extremely over priced.  They should cost in the $200 to $250 range.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Kac RAS, Geissele ssa-e...../thread
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top