Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2015 11:25:46 AM EDT
Don't really consider takedown and pivot pins as high-wear parts.  

Any reason not to switch to V Seven aluminum takedown and pivot pins?   The aluminum pins are about 1/2 the weight of steel pins.

V Seven also makes them in titanium but the aluminum is lighter.  

I'm thinking that is an aluminum works for charging handles then aluminum should work for takedown and pivot pins.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the titanium pins and like them fine. The only reason I didn't go with aluminum is because you could potentially get gauling if your receiver holes are tight.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#2]
A couple of thoughts....

New Frontier Armory offers plastic pins. If plastic even halfway holds up, aluminum should be GTG.

The V7 pins are anodized which should prevent galling
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Standard issue pins are excellent and the fractions of a gram you save buy "upgrading" isn't worth it IMO.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:36:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I love v7 parts but my favorite take down pins are the 2a armormemt ti pins with the hole in them.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#5]
VSeven is too notch stuff!
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I ran V7 aluminum takedown pins on a lightweight build that I did, and they have held up fine. That rifle doesn't get a lot of action, but so far so good. I used almost every lightweight aluminum part V7 offers and am planning on doing another lightweight SBR build with their parts too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:12:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Standard issue pins are excellent and the fractions of a gram you save buy "upgrading" isn't worth it IMO.
View Quote

Just switching to aluminum pins alone won't make your rifle lightweight. But if you switch dozens of parts a few grams becomes a few oz and before you know it your rifle is several pounds lighter. It's not for everyone and is very expensive, but worth it if you have the time and money.

As for v7 they make amazing products. I use the aluminum v7 pins on my rifle, fired several thousand rounds and no issues.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just switching to aluminum pins alone won't make your rifle lightweight. But if you switch dozens of parts a few grams becomes a few oz and before you know it your rifle is several pounds lighter. It's not for everyone and is very expensive, but worth it if you have the time and money.

As for v7 they make amazing products. I use the aluminum v7 pins on my rifle, fired several thousand rounds and no issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EXACTLY!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:27:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I think they will hold up just fine in 99.99% of applications.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#10]
They're made out of 7068 which is very similar in strength to 4140.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Any reason not to switch to V Seven aluminum takedown and pivot pins?   The aluminum pins are about 1/2 the weight of steel pins.

I'm thinking that is an aluminum works for charging handles then aluminum should work for takedown and pivot pins.

View Quote

Exercise more, then you won't notice a few pounds.......
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#12]
How long before the steel detent eats them?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always has to be someone who has to make a stupid comment like this.

Ever consider the fact that they might be disabled, or a small female, or someone way up there in years, I don't think so
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:13:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I'm curious about.  The chassis pins at least have some decent area to distribute wear, especially that quality of aluminum.  The detent pins have a surprising bit of force in a tiny, pinpoint location.  I have no idea...just curious.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:35:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Aluminum and even plastic pins are OK as long as you're not going to bayonet or bash something with the rifle.

ETA: I'd only use the plastic pins on a 22lr range gun.  I stumble a little too often out hunting.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#16]
battle arms!!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#17]
The pin holes holding them are aluminum, so.....
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:21:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Grams = ounces = pounds. Every little bit of weight off of every single part on the rifle will add up. I went with 2A Armament titanium. May go with V7 aluminum on next build. I see no reason not to if your goal is ultralight.

Under 5 lbs including scope and mount.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Ever consider the fact that they might be disabled, or a small female, or someone way up there in years, I don't think so
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the use of the emoji denotes sarcasm or humor perhaps. Lighten up.

I would be aware of the galling issue that another poster brought up. If that is not a concern, or if the guild is lightweight geared I would go for it. If money is being spent just because, the titanium ones would be in my "crosshairs."
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#20]
If I could get aluminum detents (or rounded steel detents), I can see using those aluminum pins in an ultralight build.  Otherwise, the titanium pins would be where I'd go - because the standard  detents would eventually chew up the aluminum pins.

Don, PursuitSS beat me to that response.  As a rehab therapist, I work with people every day who have to have lots of adaptations in their lives, including everything being lightweight.  There's a gunsmith that makes adapted stocks and tweaks triggers for Soldiers at the Center For The Intrepid on Ft. Sam Houston; that's where the more blown up and maimed Soldiers get their intensive rehab.  I think about that sort of thing all the time.

And sadly, clown icon or not, it came off as insensitive.  Like this actual quote: "How come you have a handicapped tag, I see you walkin' fine" said to a young man with his legs amputated above the knee on one side and below the knee on the other side, but wearing long pants.  At a freaking gun show in San Antonio no less.  I did not knock the idiot down, I "educated" him.  In public.  OK, I'm off my soapbox now.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Nvm
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The pin holes holding them are aluminum, so.....
View Quote

True, but the receiver holes and pins are round with a decent amount of material contact.  The detent pins are pointed steel into aluminum at a fairly finite point with concentrated pressure from a spring.  Again...I'm not claiming to know as I've never seen, owned, or really even knew such a thing as an aluminum takedown pin existed.  I'm thinking that a high quality aluminum pin could do fine at the interface with the lower and upper.  It's the pointed steel detent pin under spring pressure that I wonder about.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is what I'm curious about.  The chassis pins at least have some decent area to distribute wear, especially that quality of aluminum.  The detent pins have a surprising bit of force in a tiny, pinpoint location.  I have no idea...just curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3,000 to 4,000 rounds since i started using mine and they look brand new, not even a scratch on the anodizing.

Quoted:
If I could get aluminum detents (or rounded steel detents), I can see using those aluminum pins in an ultralight build.  Otherwise, the titanium pins would be where I'd go - because the standard  detents would eventually chew up the aluminum pins.

Don, PursuitSS beat me to that response.  As a rehab therapist, I work with people every day who have to have lots of adaptations in their lives, including everything being lightweight.  There's a gunsmith that makes adapted stocks and tweaks triggers for Soldiers at the Center For The Intrepid on Ft. Sam Houston; that's where the more blown up and maimed Soldiers get their intensive rehab.  I think about that sort of thing all the time.

And sadly, clown icon or not, it came off as insensitive.  Like this actual quote: "How come you have a handicapped tag, I see you walkin' fine" said to a young man with his legs amputated above the knee on one side and below the knee on the other side, but wearing long pants.  At a freaking gun show in San Antonio no less.  I did not knock the idiot down, I "educated" him.  In public.  OK, I'm off my soapbox now.

Honestly i think you will wear out barrels, buffers, springs, etc...before you wear out these aluminum take down pins. Unless you are OCD and have some compulsive disorder that requires you to push the pin in and out 100 times before opening the upper they will be fine.

Also, you dont have to be a female, a child or wounded to want a lightweight rifle. Im 6' 190lbs and in fantastic shape, its not that i cant shoot a 9-12lb rifle, its just that i prefer to shoot one that weighs 6lbs instead.

Fight smarter not harder.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
As a rehab therapist, I work with people every day who have to have lots of adaptations in their lives, including everything being lightweight.  There's a gunsmith that makes adapted stocks and tweaks triggers for Soldiers at the Center For The Intrepid on Ft. Sam Houston; that's where the more blown up and maimed Soldiers get their intensive rehab.  I think about that sort of thing all the time.

View Quote

THANK YOU for doing what you do. Fortunately, my only disabilities are old & overweight.

But, my late Father contracted Polio when he was age 4 and as I grew up I watched him suffer for many years and never complain. Unless you have been exposed to someone who is truly disabled you can't fathom how bad it can be.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top