Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2015 12:39:00 PM EDT
Seems like an easy way to reduce some weight.  

I'm looking at the V7 aluminum castle nut and end plate.

Anyone have any experience with these?  

Any down side?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure how well the Aluminum would take to staking.  I might just Loctite it instead.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]
You can stake aluminum, just don't hit it as hard....
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#3]
how much weight could you possibly save by that and have non spec parts on you gun.  I don't know what barrel you have but if its 16 in go with a 14.5 with extended a2.  that will be better than a aluminum end plate and nut.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link to cheap aluminum castle nuts?  Need a supply for Fruity Ghosts...
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Link to cheap aluminum castle nuts? Need a supply for Fruity Ghosts...
View Quote

I don't think cheap is part of this equation.  V7 tends to be on the high end of the price scale.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't think cheap is part of this equation.  V7 tends to be on the high end of the price scale.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Link to cheap aluminum castle nuts? Need a supply for Fruity Ghosts...

Right.  Which is why I was asking for someone who knows where the cheap Chinese ones are.    Makes great reinforcement inside a hand cast plastic lower...
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
how much weight could you possibly save by that and have non spec parts on you gun.  I don't know what barrel you have but if its 16 in go with a 14.5 with extended a2.  that will be better than a aluminum end plate and nut.
View Quote

It would actually be going on an AR10.

Weight is a little more of an issue with them.

It all adds up.  Aluminum castle nut and end plate, titanium safety selector, titanium buffer retention pin, light weight QD swivels... Next thing you know you've knocked off a couple oz.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Right. Which is why I was asking for someone who knows where the cheap Chinese ones are. Makes great reinforcement inside a hand cast plastic lower...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted: Link to cheap aluminum castle nuts? Need a supply for Fruity Ghosts...

I don't think cheap is part of this equation. V7 tends to be on the high end of the price scale.

Right. Which is why I was asking for someone who knows where the cheap Chinese ones are. Makes great reinforcement inside a hand cast plastic lower...

Ok, that makes sense.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It all adds up. Aluminum castle nut and end plate, titanium safety selector, titanium buffer retention pin, light weight QD swivels... Next thing you know you've knocked off a couple oz.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

how much weight could you possibly save by that and have non spec parts on you gun. I don't know what barrel you have but if its 16 in go with a 14.5 with extended a2. that will be better than a aluminum end plate and nut.

It all adds up. Aluminum castle nut and end plate, titanium safety selector, titanium buffer retention pin, light weight QD swivels... Next thing you know you've knocked off a couple oz.

It's a lot of money for a few oz.  Most people would be better served with a DPMS GII based build.

On the other hand, if you've got the money to spend and want the products, go for it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's a lot of money for a few oz.  Most people would be better served with a DPMS GII based build.

On the other hand, if you've got the money to spend and want the products, go for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
how much weight could you possibly save by that and have non spec parts on you gun. I don't know what barrel you have but if its 16 in go with a 14.5 with extended a2. that will be better than a aluminum end plate and nut.

I don't know... I'm not that big on the G2.  I think DPMS is just trying to throw a wrench in what was the emerging standard for the AR 10 platform.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't know... I'm not that big on the G2. I think DPMS is just trying to throw a wrench in what was the emerging standard for the AR 10 platform.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a lot of money for a few oz. Most people would be better served with a DPMS GII based build.

I don't know... I'm not that big on the G2. I think DPMS is just trying to throw a wrench in what was the emerging standard for the AR 10 platform.

It's an easy half pound.  If you want a .308 sized AR that is weight conscious, it's the way to go.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't know... I'm not that big on the G2.  I think DPMS is just trying to throw a wrench in what was the emerging standard for the AR 10 platform.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There never was an emerging standard on the "AR10" platform, and never will be.  There has only been variation from day 1, even with the Hollywood ArmaLite vs. Dutch ArmaLite guns, and within those two groups.  There was another les known rifle that Colt was going to manufacture starting in 1959, called the AR10A, which took a lot of lessons learned from the Hollywood and Dutch ArmaLites, as well as the AR15, and was a smaller receiver gun with AR15 FCG. It was never produced.

Then when Gene Stoner worked with Reed Knight II to make the SR25 in the late 80's, a new type of gun was born that was partially AR15, partially AR10, with a long receiver set to accommodate the stepped BCG dimensions so the BCG tail would fit in an AR15 receiver extension tube.

Then Eagle Arms took the SR25, made a receiver set that would run on modified, ban-compliant (grandfathered) M14 mags, and the EA10 was born.  Eagle Arms acquired the ArmaLite name, which had been with Elisco Tool and Machine in the Philippines, and began selling "AR10's".

Then came DPMS, who already had at least 3 receiver variations by the mid 2000's, and this is before the GII, which was meant to correct all the problems with the LR-308 and AP4, which suffered from unacceptable malfunction and customer return rates.

Everybody and their brother started jumping on the "AR10" wagon, and it has only gotten more diverse over the past 10 years.  I did a thread on it in the variants section dating back to 1955, trying to document every production AR10 type rifle made since then, and it is extremely difficult to keep track of.  It helps that I have been studiously following the AR10 market since the 1980's, and have watched each development and company come onto the market.

Someone born in the late 1980's or 1990's would have an extremely difficult time making sense of any of it, especially with the ArmaLite name being tossed around, KAC history, DPMS history, etc.

I am also of the persuasion that if you really want to cut weight, the DPMS GII and Colt AR901-16S are the way to go.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#13]
The v7 castle nut and QD are good to go. I had the aluminum and the ti versions. Do not loctite that's never ever a good idea. The aluminum is easier to stake than the ti. The black paint seemed to chip easier on the aluminum compared to the titanium version. for now on I'll be using the aluminum versions as there is no reason not to. The price is the biggest downside.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:11:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It all adds up.  Aluminum castle nut and end plate, titanium safety selector, titanium buffer retention pin, light weight QD swivels... Next thing you know you've knocked off a couple oz.
View Quote

and increased felt recoil
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Muzzle device can fix that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I don’t know that it will be a problem, but V7 calls for a lot less torque than the TM.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#17]
do you plan to butt stroke alot of tangos if no I think you'll be good
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top