AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He said he had never exceeded 60, not that the manuals are wrong.  You can do a lot of things, like lapping or shimming, to make the barrel nut fit with less than 80 ft-lb of torque.  80 foot pounds of torque is the maximum allowed in the TM because beyond that bad things can happen, like making it even harder to change out the barrel, and potentially damaging the upper with the excessive stress applied to its threads.

On the other hand, with an in-spec upper, an in-spec barrel, and an in-spec barrel nut, it's out of the ordinary to get to 80 ft-lb if you follow the TM procedure properly, including using an appropriate grease on the threads.  The TM's "torque three times" procedure helps distribute the grease on the upper's and nut's threads, while smoothing over any potentially rough spots on the threads.  You can demonstrate to yourself how this process lowers the final torque by seeing how far around the barrel nut goes each successive time you torque to 30 - it will be farther around, sometimes by a couple of notches, each time you get to 30 ft-lb.  

If you can't get a notch to line up by the time you get to 80 ft-lb, "use a different barrel nut" is the TM's fix.  Or, you can look into the problem and maybe find some irregularity on the face of the upper which you can remove by lapping it.  Or, it's a unique type of nut and you're stuck with shimming to get things to line up.  ALL OF THESE are valid assembly methods, though only the first is allowable for a military armorer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i have never exceeded 60 pounds torque installing a barrel nut you either lap and square it or shim it.those alum uppers dont like that kind of stress theres a lot of bad info here.

So the 30-80 ft lbs rating in the TM and other manufacturers armorers manuals is wrong?

He said he had never exceeded 60, not that the manuals are wrong.  You can do a lot of things, like lapping or shimming, to make the barrel nut fit with less than 80 ft-lb of torque.  80 foot pounds of torque is the maximum allowed in the TM because beyond that bad things can happen, like making it even harder to change out the barrel, and potentially damaging the upper with the excessive stress applied to its threads.

On the other hand, with an in-spec upper, an in-spec barrel, and an in-spec barrel nut, it's out of the ordinary to get to 80 ft-lb if you follow the TM procedure properly, including using an appropriate grease on the threads.  The TM's "torque three times" procedure helps distribute the grease on the upper's and nut's threads, while smoothing over any potentially rough spots on the threads.  You can demonstrate to yourself how this process lowers the final torque by seeing how far around the barrel nut goes each successive time you torque to 30 - it will be farther around, sometimes by a couple of notches, each time you get to 30 ft-lb.  

If you can't get a notch to line up by the time you get to 80 ft-lb, "use a different barrel nut" is the TM's fix.  Or, you can look into the problem and maybe find some irregularity on the face of the upper which you can remove by lapping it.  Or, it's a unique type of nut and you're stuck with shimming to get things to line up.  ALL OF THESE are valid assembly methods, though only the first is allowable for a military armorer.

I understand, thats what he does.  Its the combo of that part, and then the part I highlighted.

My question for him is, what is the bad info being presented here (since most of it adheres to the TM specs), and what don't the uppers like about it?  I've never had an issue with any upper at 80 FT LBS + or - a few.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:18:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I understand, thats what he does.  Its the combo of that part, and then the part I highlighted.

My question for him is, what is the bad info being presented here (since most of it adheres to the TM specs), and what don't the uppers like about it?  I've never had an issue with any upper at 80 FT LBS + or - a few.

View Quote

I agree with you on that.  In-spec uppers should be able to handle over 80 ft-lb fine, though I wouldn't expect to be perfectly safe with going a lot over that consistently.  In for what uppers "don't like" about more than 60 ft-lb of torque...
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Bought a new upper. Didn't trust the other one, already discussed possible small cracks ect. This time the barrel nut lined up at just about 80 ft. lbs. No cracks. This is my first build so I want it to be right. Will probably be done in a day or two. I'll post a couple pictures when finished. Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I agree with you on that.  In-spec uppers should be able to handle over 80 ft-lb fine, though I wouldn't expect to be perfectly safe with going a lot over that consistently.  In for what uppers "don't like" about more than 60 ft-lb of torque...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
That seems like a reasonable question for miniman to answer if he is going to make statements like that in technical forums.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Canceled post.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top