BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2015 1:16:04 PM EDT
To get my gas tube to align I had to torque the barrel nut to 85 LBS. Will going over 5 or so LBS cause an issue? Thanks...
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
To get my gas tube to align I had to torque the barrel nut to 85 LBS. Will going over 5 or so LBS cause an issue? Thanks...
View Quote

ft-lbs?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Won't cause an issue... don't over think it
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you can go as high as 135 Ft Lbs. not sure. I season the threads of the upper/barrel nut, and on my last twist I torque it to 60FtLbs on all my rifles. None of my rifles have rails that require me to align the gas tube.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I took apart a BCM that required over 150 fl/lbs to break, so I think you're ok...
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I took apart a BCM that required over 150 fl/lbs to break, so I think you're ok...
View Quote

It also takes the hammer of Thor to remove the FSB.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Geez, I thought my EA was bad at approx. 100.

ETA: to put the barrel on.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why did you have to go that high? What type of barrel nut are you using?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Midwest Industries Gen 2 SS onto a PSA upper. The torque wrench is a Harbor Freight special so not sure how accurate it is.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#10]
No problem.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#11]
M16A2 technical manual says to tighten the barrel nut to 31-35 ft-pounds.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That along with their red Lock Tite gas blocks and mediocre barrels and lowers and I just don't even like most of their stuff....
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That along with their red Lock Tite gas blocks and mediocre barrels and lowers and I just don't even like most of their stuff....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that the rustle of pitchforks and torches I hear?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Torque to loosen a fastener is not equal to what was originally used to torque it
2. NEVER use a torque wrench to loosen a fastener, especially something with relatively high torque such as the barrel nut.

Quoted:
Midwest Industries Gen 2 SS onto a PSA upper. The torque wrench is a Harbor Freight special so not sure how accurate it is.

You'll be fine. I had to torque the shit out of the MI SS barrel nut on one of my uppers too. If you're uncomfortable with it, you can pull it off and order some shims to see if you can get it to line up with less torque.

Also - you'd be surprised how accurate the HF torque wrenches are. When maintained correctly, they're right up there with the big names.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

1. Torque to loosen a fastener is not equal to what was originally used to torque it
2. NEVER use a torque wrench to loosen a fastener, especially something with relatively high torque such as the barrel nut.
View Quote

I didn't use a torque wrench to remove it.  I had a 1' handle on the wrench and I had my feet off the floor bouncing on the wrench to break the nut.  

Torquing bolts is kinda my 'thing' in the Petrochem industry.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

In independent testing the HF wrenches have been found to be very accurate. (I was shocked too)
Did you burnish the threads by progressively tightening and loosening until you reached final torque/allignment, or did you tighten it down in a single go? If you 'work up to it' in multiple tighten/loosen/tighten steps you may be able to reach alignment with a lower torque.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah did that. Tightened, loosened, tightened, loosened. Still had to torque it up to 85 ft lbs. 60 ft lbs was close to alignment but not quite there. Bringing it to 85 and back down then back to 85 several times got it to align. Nothing broke. Maybe a shim or two would have got it to align with a little less torque. All said and done it looks great. I'm guessing since nothing broke all is good.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Did you use grease? What grease?  It makes a difference.  One purpose of the "torque thee times" technique is to distribute grease through the threads on both the upper and the barrel nut, which often scales down the torque needed by quite a bit.  While you can open a can of worms by suggesting exactly which grease works ( ) using a quality, white lithium-based grease with molybdenum disulfide (the MIL-G spec calls for 5%) is best.  You can get "good stuff" in small quantities for just a little bit of cash, too.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah did that. Tightened, loosened, tightened, loosened. Still had to torque it up to 85 ft lbs. 60 ft lbs was close to alignment but not quite there. Bringing it to 85 and back down then back to 85 several times got it to align. Nothing broke. Maybe a shim or two would have got it to align with a little less torque. All said and done it looks great. I'm guessing since nothing broke all is good.
View Quote

You are fine, I used two of those recently for builds, one went on at 40 ft lbs, the other at 65 (40 was soooo close, but not quite).
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#21]
The first barrel swap I ever did took 95lbs to get everything lined up and I haven't had any issues in the 1200rds I've put through it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 6:35:05 PM EDT
[#22]
May have ruined the upper. Looks like a few very small cracks showed up under the ejection port. Not sure looks like scratches almost. Hard to tell but I don't think  scratched it.  I don't have the ability to upload pictures to show what it looks like. I ordered a new stripped upper AND a shim kit just in case. Guess this is how you learn.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:55:38 AM EDT
[#23]
There is no way you cracked the upper under the ejection port at 85 ft/lbs following any of the usual installation procedures.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There is no way you cracked the upper under the ejection port at 85 ft/lbs following any of the usual installation procedures.
View Quote

This.

What vise block were you using?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#25]
this took 85 ft lbs

don't over think it
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I use and I was thinking to myself "85, 80, who knows...close enough"
I did buy a HF Digital Torque Adapter as a cheap double check.  For all those Pros out there....yes I understand HF is not sufficient to build a space shuttle or nuclear power plant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjEP1KMBbAY

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the minimum required so it won't loosen. More torque is need 90% of the time to achieve gas tube alignment.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This is the minimum required so it won't loosen. More torque is need 90% of the time to achieve gas tube alignment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, the TM still says 30-80ft/lb, like it always has.  Read the whole procedure and you'll see this.  Sometimes 35 ft/lb is just not going to happen.  But 80 ft/lb is pretty stiff when you're talking about a barrel nut.  And the procedure depends on using a quality grease to get the expected torque reading - the grease allows the nut to move more smoothly on the upper.

30 foot pounds of torque is not the minimum "so it won't loosen."  It is the minimum called for to solidly secure the barrel in the upper.  That gas tube won't let the nut move more than a fraction of a degree, so loosening isn't really going to happen.  Getting at least 30 ft/lb will ensure that the barrel is held by the tension of the nut pressing the barrel's flange against the front of the upper.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I didn't use a torque wrench to remove it.  I had a 1' handle on the wrench and I had my feet off the floor bouncing on the wrench to break the nut.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So how can you claim that it took 150 ft/lbs to break like its a scientific fact?

I've had plenty of barrel nuts, lug nuts, oil pan drain plugs, etc that I've torqued to the exact specs and then took an act of God to remove.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So how can you claim that it took 150 ft/lbs to break like its a scientific fact?

I've had plenty of barrel nuts, lug nuts, oil pan drain plugs, etc that I've torqued to the exact specs and then took an act of God to remove.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 150 pound man pushing down on a 12" (one foot) breaker bar IS 150 foot pounds of torque.  By the definition of the torque unit "foot pound," that's what it is, and it IS a scientific fact: torque (ft-lb) = force applied (pounds) times length of lever (in feet).  (I use this same highly complex formula* to test the calibration of my Harbor Freight torque wrenches, by the way.)

It is also a scientific fact that torque applied for removal of a fastener is frequently nowhere near what was applied to assemble that fastener, which makes the application of that much force irrelevant.  With an AR, the amount of effort needed to start a barrel nut loosening appears to go up with time, rounds fired, rate of fire, and probably a number of other factors.  Some people think a lot of manufacturers use LocTite on barrel nuts just because it becomes freaking hard to remove their barrel nuts.  Maybe some builders do, but that's not what most people are experiencing.

*Highlighted to identify sarcasm.  Not meant to be offensive.  YMMV.  Void where prohibited.  If you haven't figured out by now that I was trying to be funny there, I can't help you any further.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:06:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You actually were able to get God to intervene on loosening barrel nuts, lug nuts, oil pan drain plugs, etc???  You have some really good connections my friend! The irony here, considering your handle!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:59:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#34]
85 ft lbs?  Did you grease that thing with Aeroshell first?
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#35]
I used Tetra gun grease. Put it on the threads not the flange. Was the grease the problem or not putting it on the flange or both? Want to learn from this so I don't screw up another upper.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Now for a stupid question. I'm just learning here, this is my first build. I'm going to replace the upper receiver I don't trust it. Pretty sure there are a few small cracks in it. Here's the question. I've staked the gas block. Can I remove the gas tube by  only knocking out the pin when I disassemble the upper or can that only be done removing the gas block. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:12:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
this took 85 ft lbs

<a href="http://s995.photobucket.com/user/jmosulli7/media/20150920_100455_zpsgwobd6pf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af75/jmosulli7/20150920_100455_zpsgwobd6pf.jpg</a>

don't over think it
View Quote

Sweet Rifle!
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Now for a stupid question. I'm just learning here, this is my first build. I'm going to replace the upper receiver I don't trust it. Pretty sure there are a few small cracks in it. Here's the question. I've staked the gas block. Can I remove the gas tube by  only knocking out the pin when I disassemble the upper or can that only be done removing the gas block. Thanks.
View Quote
Yes, you can remove the gas tube easily with everything attached.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Sweet Rifle!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
this took 85 ft lbs

<a href="http://s995.photobucket.com/user/jmosulli7/media/20150920_100455_zpsgwobd6pf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af75/jmosulli7/20150920_100455_zpsgwobd6pf.jpg</a>

don't over think it

Sweet Rifle!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've got a MI Gen 1 aluminum quad on my Recce. It took about 55lbs to install the supplied barrel nut. My torque wrench is HF too and it's pretty accurate in reading torque as it's as close as the one I have from Napa.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I used Tetra gun grease. Put it on the threads not the flange. Was the grease the problem or not putting it on the flange or both? Want to learn from this so I don't screw up another upper.
View Quote

I would guess Tetra should work although it may have thrown the effective torque off some.
I use a grease that meets the mil-spec and put it anywhere metal touches metal.
In a properly secured upper you are not going to crack the upper at 85 ft/lbs.
I have heard of people tweaking their uppers, but not cracking them under the ejc port.
If you cracked the upper you did something outside of the procedures known to work.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#44]
To get the upper to crack you would have to twist it so hard it would also yield and stay bent in a slightly corkscrew shape. Some have done that. Bending is much more likely because it's forged, not cast. The grain of the metal flows with the part and that is what gives it more strength and resilience to bending. Exactly why racing pistons are forgerd, not cast - cast pistons fracture when hammered by knock, forged pistols are actually more elastic and bend further allowing them to absorb the energy without cracking.

If it won't line up at 85 then square the nose or use shims. Doesn't hurt either way and helps to sleep at night. Regardless, AR uppers are extremely difficult to crack - as the Henderson Defense thread on shooting them 200,000 rounds full auto points out. Plus in the service when a 165 pound soldier with 85 pounds of gear falls on one, the buffer tube is more likely to fail than the upper or lower. Mortaring it for a stuck round, same thing - protect the stock and buffer tube. Teams lift fully loaded soldiers into high ground story windows by having them stand on the side of the weapon, hoisting him up from both ends.

I don't see it cracking just torqueing down the nut. Check it for square on a flat surface with a flashlight and see if one end or the other is lifted.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Neither of my BCM uppers looks like that.
It is hard to tell from the pic, but I can’t tell that those are cracks.
When installing did you clamp the barrel or the upper?
If the upper how did you clamp it?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#47]
i have never exceeded 60 pounds torque installing a barrel nut you either lap and square it or shim it.those alum uppers dont like that kind of stress theres a lot of bad info here.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
i have never exceeded 60 pounds torque installing a barrel nut you either lap and square it or shim it.those alum uppers dont like that kind of stress theres a lot of bad info here.
View Quote

So the 30-80 ft lbs rating in the TM and other manufacturers armorers manuals is wrong?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So the 30-80 ft lbs rating in the TM and other manufacturers armorers manuals is wrong?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He said he had never exceeded 60, not that the manuals are wrong.  You can do a lot of things, like lapping or shimming, to make the barrel nut fit with less than 80 ft-lb of torque.  80 foot pounds of torque is the maximum allowed in the TM because beyond that bad things can happen, like making it even harder to change out the barrel, and potentially damaging the upper with the excessive stress applied to its threads.

On the other hand, with an in-spec upper, an in-spec barrel, and an in-spec barrel nut, it's out of the ordinary to get to 80 ft-lb if you follow the TM procedure properly, including using an appropriate grease on the threads.  The TM's "torque three times" procedure helps distribute the grease on the upper's and nut's threads, while smoothing over any potentially rough spots on the threads.  You can demonstrate to yourself how this process lowers the final torque by seeing how far around the barrel nut goes each successive time you torque to 30 - it will be farther around, sometimes by a couple of notches, each time you get to 30 ft-lb.  

If you can't get a notch to line up by the time you get to 80 ft-lb, "use a different barrel nut" is the TM's fix.  Or, you can look into the problem and maybe find some irregularity on the face of the upper which you can remove by lapping it.  Or, it's a unique type of nut and you're stuck with shimming to get things to line up.  ALL OF THESE are valid assembly methods, though only the first is allowable for a military armorer.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Get a piece of glass like a welding mask shield, put some fine grit sand paper on it,

sand down the face of the upper, but don't go through the park.  Should reduce

the torque needed to align the gas to 10 or 20 ft-lbs.  If you're worried about it.  I'd

bet 85 is fine.  I had one that took a LOT more than 85, and the above is what I did.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top