Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2015 10:02:12 PM EDT
good evening all.
I currently have a couple ARs in the stable that are both the same size.

One has an LMT upper with 16 inch barrel and the other is an M&P sport that my son uses.

I am thinking about having somebody cut my barrel on the LMT to 14.5 and permanently pinning the flash hider.

This will give me 2 different size ARs and was wondering if this is something I would regret.  Does the 1.5" make a big difference on accuracy.

I don't want to go the sbr route and have to deal with paperwork at this time.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#1]
1.5" will make no noticeable difference. IMO cutting your barrel down 1.5" would be a waste of money and having to pin the FH on will make changing things a pain. I would either keep the rifle as is or get a tax stamp and go short enough to make it worth while.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1.5" will make no noticeable difference. IMO cutting your barrel down 1.5" would be a waste of money and having to pin the FH on will make changing things a pain. I would either keep the rifle as is or get a tax stamp and go short enough to make it worth while.
View Quote
Thank you. An honest answer to what I was looking at.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Theres nothing wrong with a 14.5" if that's what you want, but I would think it would be easier and cheaper just to buy a new complete upper and sell your old one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This waiting so long to get into sbr's stupidest thing i've ever done. (concerning guns)
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like it's  time for a third!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:51:07 PM EDT
[#6]
For the money you'll be in permanently modding the existing upper, I'd shop wisely and pick up a new or used 14.5 pinned upper to see if you like it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:34:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Barrels are cheap enough that you can pick one up to try without chopping on the one you have. Personally, I think 14.5" is worth the very minor hassle.
I would also highly recommend not overlooking SBRing a rifle. The NFA process is annoying, but it's no where near as bad as it's made out to be. Honestly, it's one of the easier paperwork processes you will ever experience, and well worth it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:44:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm a huge fan of the 14.5 personally, and got rid of all my 16" barrels. I'll leave it at that. I'd go 14.5 whether chop or new barrel. Preferably SBR it if you can, but pin/weld gets the job done too.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:46:07 AM EDT
[#9]
The 14.5 pinned upper is noticeably handier and better balanced than the 16" guns especially with a can on the end.  I prefer my 10.5 SBR but my pinned 14.5 is a close 2nd, I say do it,  I would again.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#10]
My thoughts, might not mean shat as I'm just a regular guy who's been doing this because I like it.
Most bought 16" carbines because they were being sold by everyone, I have one. Great rifle that I like a lot. All the good stuff, trigger,1/7 chf FN, FF, anyway, about every quality part, a lot of money, but I like it.
16" OAL rifles, If I get another upper, it will be this in Mid-length. Looks cooler but honestly, no real difference in 1.5". Someone should make a muzzle device shorter then 1".
SBR's Cool for you, not my thing as no use to me, I have plenty of guns already, no offence.
18" & 20" rifles, Uncle Sam let me shoot over 30K rounds of ammo through a M16. A rifle like this would be just as good as my carbine.
Most shooters are real men & women who can do stuff, like build there own rifle. Seems the best AR you can have today is one you put together yourself so why not make it personal.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:23:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes do it you won't regret it. And yes 1.5" makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Here is a picture of a 14.5'' pinned to 16, a 16'' and a 20'' side by side. The only problem with this pic is that the suppressor mount on the 16'' makes it look a bit longer than it would with an A2, and is longer than an extended A2.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#13]
My take is that barrel length is personal preference.
To me a pinned muzzle device is way too much of a PITA for 1.5”.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top