Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2015 4:22:48 PM EDT
I am looking to build another AR-15 to replace the one I stupidly sold about 4 years ago. I want to build the best possible AR-15 rifle I can in reason.

I am looking to start with the lower and want to pick the best parts to ensure that I am building the most durable and reliable AR. I am probably going to pick up a basic lower receiver from a local shop. I think that I will be using a DD LPK unless there are better options out there.

What type of buffer tube, buffer, LPK, trigger, ect would you guys recommend for a build based on reliability?

Also, I am torn between going with a 16" middy build like I use to have or going with a 14.5" middy build. Any real difference between the two that might make one more desirable over the other?

Appreciate any input.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a complete LMT and drop in your favorite plastic and Geissele trigger.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Anything that makes LMT better? I believe that I remember that the LMT LPK were one of the best about 5 years ago.

I will look into buying one then. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used a bunch of lkps cmmg is my favorite mostly because of the color coded package.  Dd is great also I have one in my Aero Precision build.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Anything that makes LMT better? I believe that I remember that the LMT LPK were one of the best about 5 years ago.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their receiver extensions are hands-down the best and I like their bolt catches.  Everything on 'em is good quality, nothing goofy, and the price is not bad.  

The only con is that their complete lowers come with a carbine buffer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Lmt or Colt lpk minus trigger group, add geissele trigger of your choice.  

The only lmt lpk's i have found are take offs.  Colt lpk's are more readily available online like brownells.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my 14.5 middies. I also have a 16" mid and I don't care what the naysayers say, I can tell a substantial difference in the balance and handling. I'm sick of hearing people say that 1.5" doesn't make a difference, because to me it's obvious. I haven't had any reliability/cycling/accuracy issues, it shoots just as good as my 16", but handles much better. The one, and only, downside is the pinned muzzle attachment. I have one with a PWS KAC 556, and another with an extended Smith Vortex. Of the two, I would recommend the Vortex, but only because the PWS has substantial concussion, and I'm sick of people I'm shooting with complaining about it. The PWS does work great though, and is a pleasure for me because I'm behind the gun, not next to it.

Just do some research, read some unbiased reviews, and pick the MA that will work for your application last. Have everything else decided upon, then pin that bastard and blast to your hearts content.

As far as the LPK is concerned, DD, Colt, LMT, Spikes, CMMG, should all work great. FWIW, the Spikes trigger group is one of the smoothest "mil-spec" triggers I've used, and they also use SS coil pins, and usually throw in an extra detent or two just in case one gets launched. I now build all my lowers with Spikes kits, but in the interest of full disclosure, I'm biased. My wife works for Spike.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the information everyone! Truly appreciated!

I think that I will go ahead and get a complete LMT lower. It seems like a cheaper and easier way to go and it already has the stock that I was looking at getting.

I plan on getting a LMT enhanced BCG as well so I can order both at the same time.

I loved my 16" middy but I am leaning towards the 14.5 since it will be new and I love the look of them.

Does everyone still recommend BCM for uppers? Is there a better choice out there now?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#8]

LMT lower is a good choice.

And yes BCM is normally my 1st choice for uppers however KAC has been calling my name lately

if i went all out on a lower it would be the following.

Noveske Gen 2 lower

battle arms ambi safety

DD, LMT or colt LPK

SSA-E trigger

LMT buffertube

some sort of QD endplate

LMT sopmod

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:44:21 AM EDT
[#9]
My .02

Lower - Aero Gen2 - nice quality at a good price
Trigger- Geissele SSA - just a good reliable do-all trigger
Lower parts kit - Spike's w/o the fire control parts, save a few $
Buffer tube - VLTOR A5 - 6 or 7 position depending on stock choice

Upper- I like 16" middy's.  I like having the ability to swap flash hiders / brakes, rail, gas blocks, etc. I have several and really like my BCW ELW with KMR rail
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Does everyone still recommend BCM for uppers? Is there a better choice out there now?
View Quote

Of the ARs I own, my (complete) BCM A4 clone would be the last to go.  For a 00XXX ser.#, it's just as tight as the day it was shipped from Hartland, WI...

Edit:  It has a Geissele SSA-E trigger too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been very pleased with BCM uppers and lowers (with trigger upgraded to Geissele SSA or SSA-E). I also like the 14.5" offerings better than the 16" because they feel better balanced, a little lighter, and easier to maneuver in small spaces.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Mega - no question.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm 0-3 on BCM lowers.  I don't recommend anything but their uppers and BCGs anymore.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I like stag LPKs, BCM receiver extensions, std A2 grips and just std triggers but would love to try the LaRue or Gieselee triggers.
I prefer carbine uppers but I do own a midlength and yes 14.5" is mo better.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for the information everyone! Truly appreciated!

I think that I will go ahead and get a complete LMT lower. It seems like a cheaper and easier way to go and it already has the stock that I was looking at getting.

I plan on getting a LMT enhanced BCG as well so I can order both at the same time.

I loved my 16" middy but I am leaning towards the 14.5 since it will be new and I love the look of them.

View Quote

I love my BCM 16" middy
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Mega - no question.
View Quote

Especially if you go with a matched set. I built one with Mega Billet NiB matched set and it has a nice tight fit between the upper and lower.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm 0-3 on BCM lowers.  I don't recommend anything but their uppers and BCGs anymore.
View Quote

What was the problem?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What was the problem?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was the problem?

I'm guessing the Pmag issue with BCM lowers being out of spec.  This is pretty well known across the forums!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks everyone!

So LMT complete lower, LMT enhanced BCG, BCM 14.5" Middy upper with DD rails, Spikes Buffer, and a Giessels (or however its spelled) trigger.

What else am I missing to finish this reliability build? What kind of sights do you guys recommend? I had Troy flip-up sights before and a Colt carry handle. But this time I want to get a ACOG or Eotech, so flip-up sights will be needed. I am cross-eyed dominate so shooting with irons is a bitch.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm guessing the Pmag issue with BCM lowers being out of spec.  This is pretty well known across the forums!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was the problem?

Lower #1 had a non-functional FCG.  Would not reset.

Lower #2 had the Gen 3 Pmag issue along with the mag catch slot cut too low and it would not reliably run with any Pmag.

Lower #3 had the FCG pin hols drilled with a dull bit that made nasty holes.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone!

So LMT complete lower, LMT enhanced BCG, BCM 14.5" Middy upper with DD rails, Spikes Buffer, and a Giessels (or however its spelled) trigger.

What else am I missing to finish this reliability build? What kind of sights do you guys recommend? I had Troy flip-up sights before and a Colt carry handle. But this time I want to get a ACOG or Eotech, so flip-up sights will be needed. I am cross-eyed dominate so shooting with irons is a bitch.

View Quote

Skip the Spikes BS buffer and use a standard H buffer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone!

View Quote

That's the problem w/BRD, you're never done.  Like "Hotel California", once you check-in, you can never check-out...  
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks again everyone!

Now quick question, if I get the 14.5 with a pinned flash hider. How do I make sure I get the right flash hider that is compatible with a suppressor? Since that will be the first accessory that i get.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks again everyone!

Now quick question, if I get the 14.5 with a pinned flash hider. How do I make sure I get the right flash hider that is compatible with a suppressor? Since that will be the first accessory that i get.
View Quote

I think it is best to find a suppressor or two that you like and see what muzzle devices work for them.

I have been wanting a SiCo for some time now but may get a gemtech as I have some compatible mounts that I really like.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks again everyone!

View Quote

You must research and decide on the suppressor first, then get a FH that is compatible.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Since you are not sure what muzzle device you want start with a 16”.
That way you can swap around until you settle on what you want.
You can always have the barrel cut down when you want to make it permanent.
Personally I would paper the lower before choosing pinning.
If 1-1/2 inches makes that much difference to you then you will get the itch to go shorter anyway.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone!

View Quote

Get a carbine 14.5 if you're using BCM, NOT a midlength.

Their 14.5 middies are less than reliable with weaker loads that a carbine 14.5 or middy 16 would otherwise eat up.

My BCM 14.5 middy was not reliable with light brass and all steel cased ammo.

Also, skip the LMT enhanced BCG and get their standard full auto BCG with an enhanced bolt. An LMT enhanced BCG combined with a BCM 14.5 middy is a recipe for a bolt action AR.

I would also pass on a DD rail assuming it's a quad rail. They are heavy, bulky, and outdated. Check out the offerings from Geissele, ALG, and Centurion Arms--I bet you'll find something you like.

If you're between an ACOG and EOTech, get the ACOG. Much more durable and batteries won't be an issue. If shooting with irons is tough and you get an ACOG, then just skip the BUIS all together and spend that money on a light, sling, mags, or ammo.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:14:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Their 14.5 middies are less than reliable with weaker loads that a carbine 14.5 or middy 16 would otherwise eat up.

Also, skip the LMT enhanced BCG and get their standard full auto BCG with an enhanced bolt. An LMT enhanced BCG combined with a BCM 14.5 middy is a recipe for a bolt action AR.

I would also pass on a DD rail assuming it's a quad rail. They are heavy, bulky, and outdated. Check out the offerings from Geissele, ALG, and Centurion Arms--I bet you'll find something you like.

If you're between an ACOG and EOTech, get the ACOG. Much more durable and batteries won't be an issue. If shooting with irons is tough and you get an ACOG, then just skip the BUIS all together and spend that money on a light, sling, mags, or ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks everyone!

Thanks brother!

I always thought that the mid-length gas system made it more reliable, especially with a shorter barrel since there is more power in it. Thats not the case?

I might just have to go with the 16" middy then, it is make it more reliable. Or would a 14.5" carbine be more reliable than a 16" Middy?

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thanks brother!

I always thought that the mid-length gas system made it more reliable, especially with a shorter barrel since there is more power in it. Thats not the case?

I might just have to go with the 16" middy then, it is make it more reliable. Or would a 14.5" carbine be more reliable than a 16" Middy?
View Quote

No, not at all--quite the opposite actually. A 14.5 middy has a pretty short dwell time, and the fact that BCM uses smaller gas ports doesn't help. Full power 5.56 will be quite the soft shooters, but weaker stuff probably won't work consistently, if at all.

Either a carbine 14.5 or middy 16 would be better--it's just up to your preference on length at that point.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Dont meant to beat a dead horse here, but before I place my order I want to make sure im picking right.

My main priority is reliability. So would a 14.5" carbine be more reliable than a 16" middy? I want this gun to eat anything I stick in it and function 100% even with the shittiest loads, all while lasting thousands of rounds. So whats the best way to go here?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Dont meant to beat a dead horse here, but before I place my order I want to make sure im picking right.

My main priority is reliability. So would a 14.5" carbine be more reliable than a 16" middy? I want this gun to eat anything I stick in it and function 100% even with the shittiest loads, all while lasting thousands of rounds. So whats the best way to go here?
View Quote

I would say they would be equally reliable...i would get the middy though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#32]
+1 LMT Lower

A 14.5 bcm is on the to buy list, but for only 1 AR it could hinder you. I only mean that if you're unsure about the suppressor then you're also unsure about the muzzle device which just means you're waiting. If you're looking at BCM uppers and waiting to decide you can miss the next batch that comes out (assuming you want one of the KMR/-A's). You can always get a new barrel.upper/barrel chop if you would like later.

Of course, patience isn't my middle name, and while stuff is a lot more available then awhile back, everything aint at Amazon Prime speeds.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd get an ambi lower from LWRC or Knights Armament.

LMT lpk.
Geissele trigger of your choice.
Furniture of you choice.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#34]
M16 RR w/ any barrel length you want. Best lower money can buy
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Anybody know where I can buy a LMT complete lower for a decent price?  thanks!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#36]

My BCM 14.5 middy was not reliable with light brass and all steel cased ammo

I have the exact opposite experience with mine.  My 14.5" BCM Middy has eaten everything I throw at it including tula.  I have about 3500 rds through it.  As far as lowers go, I am a big fan of the lwrc lower due to it being 100% ambi.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#37]
KAC SR-15 lower.

ETA: Better yet, buy a complete rifle and you're done.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Lower #2 had the Gen 3 Pmag issue along with the mag catch slot cut too low and it would not reliably run with any Pmag.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was the problem?

When did you get your lowers? This is the first I've heard of them having issues with PMAGs and such, mine hasn't had any issues thus far and it's fit and finish is top notch, but your post makes me curious.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Anybody know where I can buy a LMT complete lower for a decent price?  thanks!
View Quote

A local FFL Dealer that carries LMT should be able to order one for you. I just ordered an LMT with A2 for $330. Rainier Arms carriers some with the SOPMOD actually in stock right now. Tombstone Tactical looks to carry them, but not in stock. Maybe try to call them and see if they can order one for you to ship.

Also, the LMT lowers with the SOPMODS include the premium price for that stock, and while it is a nice stock - many people's favorite, it is expensive. If that isn't the stock you want, get L7C2 with a standard collapsing stock and either keep it on there, or upgrade from the cheaper price point.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
When did you get your lowers? This is the first I've heard of them having issues with PMAGs and such, mine hasn't had any issues thus far and it's fit and finish is top notch, but your post makes me curious.
View Quote

One in '11 or '12, one in '14, the last one this summer.  

There's a long thread on the unmentionable site about it.  It's quite common.  I just tried a Gen M3 in a Colt, LMT, and ArmaLite lower and they all locked in with a little room to spare.  Same mags would not lock in at all two of my three BCM lowers.  I sold the first lower before the Gen M3s came out.

As long as yours works, you're good.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Mega - no question.
View Quote

This.  Everything else is clown shoes.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mega - no question.

Maybe, but I'm a happy clown, not a sad clown.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top