Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2015 3:03:51 PM EDT
I was watching some combat footage and saw a soldier appear to have a FTE or FTF...not sure which. Well he did the tap, rack, worked the bolt several times and then took his rifle and full force rammed the button stock into the dirt, racked the slide, she'll comes flying out and then back in the fight. I assume he used the force to dislodge a stuck case??? I've never seen that tactic before if that is what he was doing?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
generally people do that when they cant get the bolt back with the charging handle alone. its referred to as "mortaring"
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, mortaring is a trained technique. Always fully collapse your stock first if you're going to do it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, removing a stuck case.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep, removing a stuck case.
View Quote

This. It's called mortaring. Much faster than shoving a cleaning rod down the bore and hitting it with a hammer.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#5]
FSTPNI

mortaring
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Like others have said, mortaring. It is one of those anachronistic techniques that has been trained in the Army since the M16 was first adopted, and didn't change after the M4 replaced it. It wasn't a big deal for the M16, which had the solid buttstock, but you can break an M4 using that technique no problem if you do t wrong. You have to collapse the stock and hit it with the buffer tube side of it while pulling down on the charging handle, which generally means turning it upside down if you want to keep it downrange. If you don't, you will break the bottom part of the milspec stock off, I've seen it happen many times.

Post the vide so we can see it
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Works, fast and effective method to get back into the fight. I've only had to use once and that was when I was qualifying and had a round stick. Did it quick, fast, and in a hurry and still qualified expert.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Where is the video link?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:46:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes, mortaring is a trained technique. Always fully collapse your stock first if you're going to do it.
View Quote

This.

Also known as "shocking"
I have to mortar ARs on the line sometimes to clear stuck rounds(usually shitty reloads or Russian steel case), occasionally.
Works 99% of the time. The look on the AR owner's face is always priceless.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#10]
It's usually with a bolt override failure where the case is stuck in such a way you can't rack the charging handle but you also can't open the lower/upper due to the bolt being partially backwards. The butt slamming causes the bolt to travel back a little and thus the case falls out naturally due to gravity.

In a firefight, I suppose you could slam the rifle onto the butt but an easier way to do is to use your middle finger - otherwise known as "finger banging" your rifle such that you push the bolt back and the stuck case falls out.

Another option is to use a tool such as a spent case, magazine lips, anything that catches the side of the bcg, and simply move the bolt backwards.

Or you can use this tool: https://www.leatherman.com/mut-29.html which allows for the hook to move the bolt back.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I saw Mark Wahlberg do it in Lone Survivor.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#12]
When I haven't cleaned my 5.45 AR in a long time sometimes the bolt is stuck forward so I have to mortar it open before I start shooting.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Remember collapse the stock before any attempt to "mortar" the rifle. If you do not collapse the stock you will regret what might happen to your lower Done correctly the technique works like a charm to remove a stuck round from the chamber.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I broke a Vltor modatock by forgetting to collapse the stock fully
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Bent a lock pin on a CTR mortaring out a stuck case. I ended up making a new one out of stainless.

Brad
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#16]
It's a method to apply inertial thrust to dislodge a stuck cartridge case.

If you've never seen it or done it, you might not be a veteran.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Bent a lock pin on a CTR mortaring out a stuck case. I ended up making a new one out of stainless.

Brad
View Quote
You are supposed to collapse the stock fully before attempting this tactic. There should be no stress on the stock position locating pin.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You are supposed to collapse the stock fully before attempting this tactic. There should be no stress on the stock position locating pin.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brad

Have seen a few jack up the pin because they failed to fully retract.....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top