Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2015 11:02:52 AM EDT
Well,

Let me start by saying I am new and I have posted once about a choice of which rifle to purchase.  That thread got a little long and all over the place so I decided to start a new one that is more "targeted".

I want to buy an AR platform rifle to shoot cans at 300-400 yards so I can be proficient if a SHTF scenario ever happens.  I don't want to wait to defend myself and mine until the targets are within the range of my 92A1.

I had decided to wait until Cabela's got in the Sig M400 they have on line but is not in the stores yet however my patience grows thin.

In lieu of waiting, I have narrowed it down to two very similar rifles.  They are a new Bushmaster Predator or a used RRA Predator Pursuit.  Here are the specs for both rifles:

BM Predator
20" 4150 Chrome steel hvy fluted barrel, 1" to gas block, .75 thereafter based on competition DCM barrel, 223/556, 1 in 8
Bushmaster 2 stage completion trigger
Vented aluminum free float forend with sling swivel
5 round mag
Plastic case, sling, scope risers, etc that comes with a new purchase
new--$889

RRA Predator Pursuit
20" Air gauged stainless heavy match barrel, 1 in 8, Wylde chamber
RRA two stage trigger
Aluminum free float forend
Has a Magpul rear sight
no mags
used-$900

Both are 9 pound rifles.  Both have A2 stocks and similar pistol grips.  Both are black.

These are the options.  I have a $1,00 Cabela's gift card to use.  Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Bob

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Bushmasters are made by the Freedom Group so essentially the same rifle as DPMS not the old Bushmaster from Windham Maine.  My choice would be the RRA arms as their Stainless Steel barrels are known for their accuracy. If the barrel on the RRA is not shot out with a high round count I would buy the RRA Predator Pursuit.  

Another option, check out Joe Bob's Outfitters.  He has very good prices on complete RRA uppers with free shipping on orders over $90 plus has a Mil/LE discount.  Buy a complete upper and assemble the lower.  Joe Bob has complete RRA NM lower parts kits for very good prices.  Buy a stripped lower and complete stock kit and assemble the lower yourself.

JBO has the RRA PP in stock $790, lower parts kit with RRA NM trigger $150.  I can find stripped lowers locally for $70 or less out the door and choose your butt stock and you have a new rifle.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Rock_River_Arms_Predator_Pursuit_20_inch_AR0565_p/rra-ar0567.htm
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Bushmasters are made by the Freedom Group so essentially the same rifle as DPMS not the old Bushmaster from Windham Maine.  My choice would be the RRA arms as their Stainless Steel barrels are known for their accuracy. If the barrel on the RRA is not shot out with a high round count I would buy the RRA Predator Pursuit.  

Another option, check out Joe Bob's Outfitters.  He has very good prices on complete RRA uppers with free shipping on orders over $90 plus has a Mil/LE discount.  Buy a complete upper and assemble the lower.  Joe Bob has complete RRA NM lower parts kits for very good prices.  Buy a stripped lower and complete stock kit and assemble the lower yourself.

JBO has the RRA PP in stock $790, lower parts kit with RRA NM trigger $150.  I can find stripped lowers locally for $70 or less out the door and choose your butt stock and you have a new rifle.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Rock_River_Arms_Predator_Pursuit_20_inch_AR0565_p/rra-ar0567.htm
View Quote

If anyway possible...I'd do something like this above.

The first thing that goes through my mind when I see a used match barrel or upper for sale is "I guess it didn't shoot as accurate as he wanted it to".  This may be just me, but when I get the accuracy out of a barrel that I'm looking for, I hold onto that barrel until it no longer shoots that accuracy anymore.

Buy new.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Went with DPMS years ago and wouldn't part with it. My son went with RRA and loves it. Have friends with Bushmasters and they are sold on them.  Buy the one you like best.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I have Rock Rive 16" Predator Pursuit.
Very accurate, listed as 3/4" MOA out of the box.
I've been using the 1-4x24 BDC scope for the past couple years for coyote & love this rifle.
Can't say enough good things about Rock River.
That being said, that accuracy comes at the price of weight.
The barrels are the same as their National Match & they're heavy.
I don't mind that but some may.
Also they use a type of thread lock that superman would have trouble breaking if the tube is to be removed.
A real PITA but once the purple goo was defeated it became a real pleasure to shoot.

Rock River is on top, the other is my LBR NiB / Stainless

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I have Rock Rive 16" Predator Pursuit.
Very accurate, listed as 3/4" MOA out of the box.
I've been using the 1-4x24 BDC scope for the past couple years for coyote & love this rifle.
Can't say enough good things about Rock River.
That being said, that accuracy comes at the price of weight.
The barrels are the same as their National Match & they're heavy.
I don't mind that but some may.
Also they use a type of thread lock that superman would have trouble breaking if the tube is to be removed.
A real PITA but once the purple goo was defeated it became a real pleasure to shoot.
Of course it's been altered to my taste.

Rock River is on top, the other is my LBR NiB / Stainless

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, this would be a tough choice for me. They're both very similar, and should be great target shooters, so it basically all comes down to the barrel. I have a Bushy with the 2-stage trigger, it's not bad and it can tuned just the way you like it, but it's no Timney/AR Gold/Geissele. I've never pulled the RR trigger, but I've heard it's not too bad either. Maybe someone who happens to have both can chime in.

Normally, if both were NEW, I'd say go for the Rock River and don't look back, but you have new vs. USED.  Therefore, I would inspect the RR very closely, with a bore scope, and look for evidence of throat erosion, excessive copper fouling in the bore, check the muzzle for nicks, and basically go over the upper & BCG trying to get a feel for HOW used it is. If I saw anything I didn't like, I'd go for the Bushy.

PS: As a reminder to others offering advice, don't forget the OP has a gift certificate for Cabelas, so he can't just order this or that from Jo Bobs/PSA/AIM/Flavor-of-the-week, etc. and get a better deal. He done a lot of thinking and has narrowed it down to these two, please share your knowledge as it relates to these options. RIF
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:00:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Shonuff and all,

I think Shonuff has hit the nail on the head.  The BM is new and the RRA is used.  If the RRA was new also, my choice would be easy :)  The RRA is in a state far, far away so there won't be personal inspection prior to purchasing.  All I can go on is the pictures, the description of the fella holding it when I called, and knowing it was built in 2012 so it's not that old.  I am a little afraid that it might be someone's problem gun or one that just doesn't group and RRA's warranty only covers the original purchaser...

The BM seems like the better deal but for some reason I am hesitant.  I think I am afraid that it going to be a cheap gun if it only costs $890 and I don't want a cheap gun.

This would all be simple if they would get in the Sig Sauer M400 Hunter they have on their website for $1,380.  They tell me the rifles are projected for delivery in September, but that is in no way set in stone.  It has a lot of features for the money.  http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/firearms/centerfire-rifles/semiautomatic-centerfire-rifles%7C/pc/104792580/c/553829580/sc/105522480/i/105524280/sig-sauer-174-m400-hunter-semiautomatic-tactical-rifles-highlander-kryptek/2042622.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fsemiautomatic-centerfire-rifles%2Fsig-sauer%2F_%2FN-1114861%2B4294743009%2FNe-4294743009%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105524280%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

They can order me in a Sig M400 Predator.  It's very similar to the Hunter, but it black instead of Kryptek, and is lacking the Sig Metal flip up sights, and the taper lok muzzle brake.  They can get me that for $1,329, only $50 less than the Hunter with the extra features...  It would take about 2 weeks to come in to them.  http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sigm400-predator.aspx

I should just wait but I am ready to go shooting :)

Trying to keep this simple is hard :(

Thanks for your replies,
-Bob George
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:37:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I LOL at opinion between Bushmaster and anything else, cause the quoted quote is usually the first thing said.

Just bought my boys a pair of Bushmasters, built in Alabama, they are as good as any of my AR's.  I used to have a DPMS and it was my go to rifle, not so much because I just loved it more than my Colt or M&P, but because it wasn't all fiddled up, just had a Tasco Red Dot on it and never failed and everyone that shot it could hit what they aimed at.  That's the only gun I ever sold, and I still regret it, although for what I sold it for, more than covered the two Bushmasters I bought (yes I felt bad, but geez, if you knew the guy that was pestering me about it when the AR scare hit, you would have caved at his offer too).
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a 16" RRA that I bought new in 2005 or so. Within the first 500 rds the BCG got stuck in the chamber (with a live round in it) requiring a mallet to the charging handle to break it loose. RRA fixed it on their dime, had it back to me in two weeks, and it has been flawless since. CS was fantastic. It's certainly not a Noveske or Larue, but they do make a solid product in my opinion and what is better, they will stand behind it. I would go RRA in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a friend that has an RRA Predator and it's a hammer. 0.5 moa easily done with hand loads or 69 grain FGMM. It's no contest in my mind. It is on the heavy side but not enough to be a problem.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a RRA PP I am getting .5-.75 MOA out to 400 meters. I have had 2.5 inch groups at 400 meters. This is with hand loads. Extremely accurate and a nice rifle. I have an SSA-E triggering mine.

I also have a RRA Varmint with 24 inch BBL. same accuracy and they both like the same loads.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Good Morning,

I thought this thread was done but then I saw the new post this morning so let me update you :)  

In the past few days I found out that Cabela's could special order rifles.  So once I found out I could special order, I researched what they could get and ordered a Colt CR6724 on Tuesday.  It should take a few weeks for it to arrive at my FFL.

FYI, the rifles they can order seems to vary from store to store.  For instance, the Fort Worth store could get me a Colt CRE-18 but not any other of the Colt Accurized Rifles.  The Wichita  store could get me the CR 6724 or 6720 but not any others.  Apparently they all have different suppliers for special orders.  Some stores couldn't get any Colts.

Anyway, the Colt was more of what I had in mind when I started looking.  The two rifles I asked about in this thread probably would have been good for my intended uses (and I was leaning to the Rock River rifle) but once I found out about the special order option, I decided to go that route.  I did ask about Rock River and they could not get me a new one.

Anyway, thanks for all the input.  I will certainly keep it in mind for future purchases.  I may just need to get an extra upper and Rock River will be on the top of the list.

Thanks again,
-Bob George
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Ah, the ol' bait and switch! Nice!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#14]
If you're only shooting to 300-400m, then you don't need a 20" barrel. I would stick with a 16" with a nice barrel, which should be perfect for you. It will be much lighter and handier than a huge and heavy 20" barreled upper.

BCM has several uppers that should fit the bill, like these:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-w-V-p/bcm-urg-mid16-ss410-vtac13.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid16-ss410-pri12black.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-w-D-p/bcm-urg-mid16-ss410-slim-15.htm

Toss it on the lower of your choice and you should be set to go for similar prices to the two rifles you linked. I would also rather have a BCM than a Bushmaster or RRA any day of the week.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd go RRA between the two choices, but I doubt I buy used.  

You could also build something for a similar price if you wanted.  I'd also recommend a Velocity 3lb trigger.  They can be had for around $130.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#16]
RRA.  My PP shoots tiny groups out to 600M
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good Morning,

I thought this thread was done but then I saw the new post this morning so let me update you :)  

In the past few days I found out that Cabela's could special order rifles.  So once I found out I could special order, I researched what they could get and ordered a Colt CR6724 on Tuesday.  It should take a few weeks for it to arrive at my FFL.

FYI, the rifles they can order seems to vary from store to store.  For instance, the Fort Worth store could get me a Colt CRE-18 but not any other of the Colt Accurized Rifles.  The Wichita  store could get me the CR 6724 or 6720 but not any others.  Apparently they all have different suppliers for special orders.  Some stores couldn't get any Colts.

Anyway, the Colt was more of what I had in mind when I started looking.  The two rifles I asked about in this thread probably would have been good for my intended uses (and I was leaning to the Rock River rifle) but once I found out about the special order option, I decided to go that route.  I did ask about Rock River and they could not get me a new one.

Anyway, thanks for all the input.  I will certainly keep it in mind for future purchases.  I may just need to get an extra upper and Rock River will be on the top of the list.

Thanks again,
-Bob George
View Quote

I have a 6724.  It shoots well under 1moa 5 shot 100 yard groups. It also has a nice stock trigger. I think you'll be very happy with the 6724, I am.  between the other 2 you were considering I would have chosen the RRA.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Well I thought I had this all locked up.  A week ago today I special ordered a Colt 6724, but then I received a call this morning.  It was from the salesperson I ordered the Colt from.  He remember the first conversation I had with him about the Sig Sauer M400 Hunter that Cabela's has on their website, but did not have in the stores yet.  He called to tell me that he has one in his hands right now and gave me the option of cancelling the Colt (with no penalty) and purchasing the Sig.  I reviewed the rifles once again as I had never actually compared the Sig to the Colt.  I cancelled the Colt and the Sig will be on it's way to me as soon as my FFL guy emails in his license.  I tried to attach a picture and it worked on the preview but not once I submitted my post; sorry :(

Here's the description from the Cabela's site:

SIG Sauer® M400 Hunter Semiautomatic Tactical Rifles-Highlander Kryptek

• Match-grade barrel with SIG TAPER-LOK muzzle brake for accuracy
• Direct impingement gas operating system produces less recoil
• Six-position collapsible stock adjusts as needed and is easy to store

Powerful and accurate, SIG Sauer’s M400 Hunter Semiautomatic Tactical Rifles feature a 18" stainless steel match-grade barrel with SIG TAPER-LOK™ muzzle brake. Direct-impingement gas operating system brings accuracy and less recoil. Six-position collapsible stock adjusts as needed and is easy to store and transport. Consistent and precise, the two-stage match trigger provides a predictable and crisp trigger pull. Lightweight free-floating carbon fiber hand guard. Integral ambidextrous QD sling mounts.

Thanks again,
-Bob George
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top