AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My rifles have never seen a steel cased round.
View Quote

I showed a steel cased round to my ARs once, and I swear I heard them whimper......  
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Steel cases ammo is junk. Don't buy it. I've shot maybe 50k rounds of the stuff without many problems worth noting until one day I read on arfcom that people who had never used it say it was bad; I quit using it that day.
View Quote

This is my favorite comment so far
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're going to shoot steel cased ammo with bimetal bullets on the argument that you're saving more than enough money to buy another barrel, then the prudent thing to do is buy the extra barrel at the outset.   There is no guarantee that you'll even be able to buy a new one when you need it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If you're going to shoot steel cased ammo with bimetal bullets on the argument that you're saving more than enough money to buy another barrel, then the prudent thing to do is buy the extra barrel at the outset.   There is no guarantee that you'll even be able to buy a new one when you need it.
View Quote
There's also no guarantee that you'll wake up tomorrow.

Might as well buy ten barrels at the outset, just in case I guess.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I shoot steel cased cause it's cheaper   simple as that
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Threads like this is are why my AK friends give me so much shit.  Get your gun out of the safe, stop worrying about the "resale value", and have some fun with it.  Stop worrying about scratching your bcg and shoot whatever ammo the situation dictates.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:48:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Steel cases ammo is junk. Don't buy it. I've shot maybe 50k rounds of the stuff without many problems worth noting until one day I read on arfcom that people who had never used it say it was bad; I quit using it that day.
View Quote

lmao...well played!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:57:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I shoot a shit load of steel case.

Doing so allows me to shoot more - average anywhere between 240-500 rounds per session 2-4x a month.

Also shoot brass - but only when shooting beyond 200 yards / hunting / shooting for groups.

All my AR's run it well - suppressed and unsuppressed. Barrel life wear? Could care less, I'll just put a new barrel in.
View Quote

This is what a lot of people here can't seem to wrap their heads around.  Barrels are consumable items (gasp!), just replace it when the time comes.  I mean FFS, your ammo costs over the life of the rifle will dwarf even the cost of the rifle and or optic, so whats the cost of a barrel?  (Which most here will never shoot enough to wear one out anyway...)
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:58:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If I really wanted ammo more prone to rusting, not real option to reload, notoriously underpowered even for .223Rem, not sealed against water in any way as far as I know, and will shoot a barrel out in 5k rounds? Screw that.

I'll use full powered, brass cased, copper-jacketed, NATO-spec ammo as long as it's an option. At least I can count on that ammo rather than worrying about getting to a 5k round count.

Maybe through a 5.56 AK...
View Quote

Wat?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:58:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I love threads like these. All the posturing of "I only use the best because my life may depend on it" and "I am not cheap" etc. comments.

I wonder how many of these are the same people who put the cheapest tires on their daily driver, do not do regular preventative maintenance (oil changes, etc.), won't quit smoking, don't excercise or eat better, or go to the doctor for regular physicals?

View Quote

Probably most..lol
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You'd have like $1.35  

PMC Bronze used to be my preferred ammo when I shot a lot of competition, outside of XM193, which shoots a little flatter at distance.

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/oPetK8" target="_blank">https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5612/14974353993_aaa4b64e2a_c.jpg</a>Screenshot (11) by azoutdoorsman, on Flickr

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LMAO. I'm gonna go through all that trouble to prove something that I and many others already know just for two PMAGs?

Ah, gee, you're really spoiling me. I've only got a box of like 100 PMAGs that are still new in bag, and another 100 or so that are lightly used to well used. I think I'm doing okay in the PMAG department.

Better yet, how about you make a video of you not able to regularly group at least 2.5 MOA with Bronze? That'd be a good one to watch as well.

Enjoy your steel.
That's what I thought.  

You had absolutely ZERO stake other than some time for some free mags.

How about a hundred bucks then?

If you don't post the video within 14 days, or the video shows it isn't possible, you send me the $100.

If you post the video, like I posted, I'll send you the $100.

Sound good?

Damn!

Wanna side bet?

If I had a nickel for every time these 2 get into it like a married couple....
You'd have like $1.35  

PMC Bronze used to be my preferred ammo when I shot a lot of competition, outside of XM193, which shoots a little flatter at distance.

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/oPetK8" target="_blank">https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5612/14974353993_aaa4b64e2a_c.jpg</a>Screenshot (11) by azoutdoorsman, on Flickr

I just moved to gilbert two months ago.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I can't believe this thread is still going, normally as pissing contest has already taken place with at a few time outs and maybe a ban

As far as not being able to buy barrels for whatever reason, if that's the case I doubt there will be ammo to buy either.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I can't believe this thread is still going, normally as pissing contest has already taken place with at a few time outs and maybe a ban

As far as not being able to buy barrels for whatever reason, if that's the case I doubt there will be ammo to buy either.
View Quote

Plus, why would one need to wait UNTIL the barrel burnt out to buy a replacement? If one does enough shooting with steel case to burn out a barrel, then one would be ahead enough, dollar wise, to buy the replacement well before the barrel needed replacement. And, if for whatever reason barrels were temporarily unavailable (panic or whatnot), then one could scale back shooting until barrels were in stock again.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Originally Posted By azoutdoorsman

That's what I thought.  

You had absolutely ZERO stake other than some time for some free mags.
How about a hundred bucks then?
If you don't post the video within 14 days, or the video shows it isn't possible, you send me the $100.
If you post the video, like I posted, I'll send you the $100.
Sound good?

Damn!

Wanna side bet?

If I had a nickel for every time these 2 get into it like a married couple....
You'd have like $1.35  

Welcome, you took my spot.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

this post here... you have to shoot your own rifle and see.  it wont hurt your  rifle worst thing could be a stuck case just clean your chamber good.if that starts to happen and keep shooting.    to many people here think the AR is a museum piece and needs white glove treatment
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
six pages? just shoot whatever the hell you want.
form your own opinion...chili? beans or on beans?
9mm or 45? wolf or brass? this never gets resolved
so do what you like shoot what you like and leave it at that.

this post here... you have to shoot your own rifle and see.  it wont hurt your  rifle worst thing could be a stuck case just clean your chamber good.if that starts to happen and keep shooting.    to many people here think the AR is a museum piece and needs white glove treatment

Damnit, idiots like you come in here and start spouting truth and all that shit, are just ruing this for the fuckin' rest of us, damn you! Seriously, though, solid post bro!!!
I don't shoot steel cased ammo; probably won't unless shit gets real bad political or supply wise... But I'll never shit on anyone who uses steel cased ammo. I used it exclusively for 20 years when I was a hard core AK clone fanatic and never had a problem, ever, barrel, chamber, or even accuracy out to 150 yards, (which is about as good an accuracy you're going to get out of a rack grade Norinco.) But I wouldn't hesitate to shoot steel out of my AR's IF they would function 99+% of the time and would group 3-4 MOA, (of which is likely), if the aforementioned happens

That said, to the PMC Bronze argument: I've gotten some sick accuracy from my old Colt H-BAR with that stuff. It's not going to win any matches but it will do what you need it to in a SHTF situation... Stock it deep. As far as X-Tac, 55 gr, and 62gr, that shit is fantastic in my book...
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not really. I have close to 14K of steel case through my LMT with almost no noticeable depreciation of accuracy. I shot that in 8 years not 2 days. That's the big difference in details.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
An interesting article on the pros and cons of steel cased ammo...

Steel-vs-Brass

Great link, thanks!

Not really. I have close to 14K of steel case through my LMT with almost no noticeable depreciation of accuracy. I shot that in 8 years not 2 days. That's the big difference in details.

And that is the difference... Shoot, clean, lube...
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I shoot a lot and could care less if it's steel or brass.  All of my ARs are capable of shooting either and if it can't it won't be in the gun safe for long.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top