Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2015 2:26:39 AM EDT
How good are these barrels? Specifically the 18" SPR barrel.

These can be had for pretty cheap with the summer promo. I am looking for a good 18" barrel to do an MRP conversion on.

If these are gtg I may fo, also looking at the Rainier and Mega barrels.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#1]
In for more info.  They had a 10.5 300blk barrel for $85 last week
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In for more info.  They had a 10.5 300blk barrel for $85 last week
View Quote

Not a lot of info on the barrels from Ares.  I've read a couple places that some may be from Aero Precision/Ballistic Advantage.  Based on photos and specs, I suspect that the .300blk barrel is from KAK Industries, but I could be wrong.

I do have the .300blk barrel, got it as part of their .300blk upper special a few months ago ($235) for the upper.  I'll probably write a review after I have more rounds downrange.  I got it really as a cheap test to see if I actually want a .300blk.

Barrel seems nice.  Very sharp rifling, and a very nice mirror finish in the bore.  

I don't have a lot of rounds downrange.  Unfortunately, the first box of ammo I bought was Fiocchi, and I had popped primers.  Only made it about 15-16 rounds before it got locked up.  Fiocchi has admitted that it was a bad lot of ammo.  

With Barnes 110gr Vor-tx, I'm geetting 3/4" 3-shot groups @ 50 yards right after cleaning all the copper out of the barrel.  Group sizes were very consistent.  After shooting some other conventional rounds, I shot a couple 5-shot groups, which opened up to avout 1.5" at 50.  That's with an Aimpoint, shooting prone.  

The other rounds I tried were Nosler Varmageddon.  Accuracy was poor at best, not too surprisingly considering the fact that the C.O.L. Being so short.  I did have function issues with those rounds in my magazines as well because they were so short.  Nosler thinks that the barrel is over gassed with a carbine buffer, and that is what's causing the function issue.  Not sure about that, but I will try a H2 buffer next time out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#3]
i wouldn't order anything from them..... google is your friend
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, after what they pulled recently, I wouldn't buy from them again.  But my upper was purchased prior to the blow up.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:52:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah, after what they pulled recently, I wouldn't buy from them again.  But my upper was purchased prior to the blow up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, love their nitride BCGs, but they are now on my no-go list with Troy...hope they go under.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:19:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:01:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I missed it, does someone have a link or able to fill me in?  I try to keep a mental tab of people I won't work with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, love their nitride BCGs, but they are now on my no-go list with Troy...hope they go under.

I missed it, does someone have a link or able to fill me in?  I try to keep a mental tab of people I won't work with.

I'm assuming it's because the company got bought out and the new CEO fired Dimitri for the crime of being Dimitri.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm assuming it's because the company got bought out and the new CEO fired Dimitri for the crime of being Dimitri.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1765788_Ares_Armor_fires_founder_Dimitri_Karras.html
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:33:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't give a cent to dimitri either...
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:37:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Dimitri Doesnt have any affiliation with them any more so...?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top