BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/1/2015 3:43:45 PM EDT
Looking to build a basic AR with higher end components. Would an Anderson stripped lower be good for this or should I go with a Spikes or something else? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking to build a basic AR with higher end components. Would an Anderson stripped lower be good for this or should I go with a Spikes or something else? Thanks.
View Quote

high end components?

spikes is gtg
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a Mega lower
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Spikes are good.  Ive used maybe 20 of their lowers over the last 5 years for builds of mine.  Never had overly tight or overly lose fit with various factory uppers or the uppers I've assembled.

I have 3 Anderson lowers, I had no issues assembling them.  Only 1 has an upper attached, and the fit seems normal.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I have no experience with the Anderson lowers but there are a lot of threads with info in them.

Spikes or Aero would be a good choice.  Aero makes both or at least used to make Spikes lowers.  Primary Arms has the Spikes lower with built in trigger guard for $70.  Schuyler has the Aero Freedom Gen2 lower for $70 and the Gen1 lowers for $55.  The Mega billet lowers are nice but 2.5-3 times the cost of a forged Spikes or Aero lower.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I've built 3 Anderson lowers, perfectly serviceable but their anodizing is a little rougher than any spikes I've seen. I'll second the "get a mega lower", best hardcoat finish I've handled and my favorite lowers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Last lower I bought was Spikes. Handled it and the Anderson at the LGS and the Spikes looked better, even at $15 more. It went together perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't have any problems with Anderson lowers.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Anderson's are G2G but it seems contradictive to your high end parts deal. Get a mega, Rainer, seeking etc if you want a high end build.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#10]
IMO, there is no such thing as a high end anodized stripped lower. They are pretty much the same. Some cost more, have a different roll mark/markings, and may have some minor differences. I've done some higher end builds with expensive quality parts, using Anderson receivers. I am on a budget, so the savings on the receivers allowed me to spend more on the other parts.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a blemished Anderson Manufacturing AR-15 Lower last year for $35. It's Forged, and doesn't use stupid pictograms for the Safe and Fire. And their logo doesn't look like something a teenager would love, (More adult) I love it, It's a tight fit on my BCM upper, all holes lined up perfectly. It's an excellent deal. I think they are normally priced at $45 if the non-blimished. That said, it took me 15min of looking at it to find the blimish, that being the smallest fish eye you have ever seen. I highly recommend them over the more costly lowers out there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Dimensionally and functionally, the Anderson lowers I've used are the equal of bigger names in all but esthetic - their anodizing is more of a matte finish, rather than the satin on most other brands. I don't build for display, so that's a non-issue for me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anderson's are G2G but it seems contradictive to your high end parts deal. Get a mega, Rainer, seeking etc if you want a high end build.
View Quote

I agree. Anderson has been known to have an issue or two with tolerance but overall gtg for a cheap build, you are asking for good quality. Mega, Rainer, BCM, LMT, Colt, DD or seeking would be my choices way, way before spikes or Anderson.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Anderson upper receiver owner here, gun functions fine, andonizig quality is lacking in my case, scratches easy. I don't know about tolerance issues
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Anderson upper receiver owner here, gun functions fine, andonizig quality is lacking in my case, scratches easy. I don't know about tolerance issues
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't know about tolerance issues
View Quote

Ok, I will leave this Gem for you then, notice anything missing?

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I agree. Anderson has been known to have an issue or two with tolerance but overall gtg for a cheap build, you are asking for good quality. Mega, Rainer, BCM, LMT, Colt, DD or seeking would be my choices way, way before spikes or Anderson.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know they have different rollmarks.....

right?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#18]
How many high end parts can you buy for the $30 that you're saving on a cheap lower?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

right?

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How many high end parts can you buy for the $30 that you're saving on a cheap lower?
View Quote

It's about the difference between a BCM CH and a Raptor.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

BCM CH > *

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

BCM CH > *

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BCM CH > *

Im a sucker for the Raptor and Geissele triggers. My 401K weeps.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#23]
If it matters to you, I know that Anderson sells touched-up blem lowers as "first quality". I have had more than one experience with this.

Here's the last beauty I got. Looks like it was touched up with semi-gloss paint. I know it doesn't affect function, but I prefer to add my own blemishes when I pay full price for a new item.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I prefer the Aero Lowers for what I want, not a big fan of the Anderson roll mark. I've put together one Anderson before and it went great so no issue with quality for me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Nothing wrong with Anderson - in spec and all uppers and mags fit fine for me. But they're not exactly "high end."
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#26]
They both work, my Spikes seemed a lil bit nicer fit and finish than the anderson ones, but probably would not have noticed if I had not built them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Anderson lowers are gtg as far as function nothing wrong with the 2 I got(I asked the same question). If your going for a high end it may hurt resale but if your going to shoot the hell out of it, it would be the same as a Noveske with the same parts in it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Fuck Anderson. After all the shilling they did here for years I'll never spend a damn nickel on anything they make.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Fuck Anderson. After all the shilling they did here for years I'll never spend a damn nickel on anything they make.
View Quote

It's funny how all that changed.  They were shunned for all the shilling, and then the shortage on lowers hits during the panic, and they flood the market with cheap lowers.  All is forgotten
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's funny how all that changed.  They were shunned for all the shilling, and then the shortage on lowers hits during the panic, and they flood the market with cheap lowers.  All is forgotten
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at my house. I like Aero and get good service and discounts from DOA.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w498/jpreilly/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpssil4clby.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w498/jpreilly/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpssil4clby.jpg

I could use 4 stripped lowers right about now.

For the record, I bought my Anderson lower before I was a member here! I promise.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

For the record, I bought my Anderson lower before I was a member here! I promise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's 6. 4 Gen 2 in the boxes and 2 Gen 1's in front. DOA gives me a pretty good deal on 20 at a time. Get your friends together and email Bobby.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Some of the posts have considering a different route. If you were to go with an anderson stripped lower receiver would a basic carbine be more appropriate? By the way this will be my first build.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Anderson is GTG.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I currently am in the middle of a new build and already have a Anderson Lower stripped which I purchased for $49 and a Aero Precision upper with fwd assist and dust cover for $75 from their site. So far the quality from bot seem very good and they fit just about perfect. I get stupid with builds sometime and might get a Aero lower now that my OCD has kicked into overdrive but the Anderson seems like a tremendous value at the current market pricing.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's 6. 4 Gen 2 in the boxes and 2 Gen 1's in front. DOA gives me a pretty good deal on 20 at a time. Get your friends together and email Bobby.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I definitely need to pick up at the minimum a couple, I got my upper to lower ratio back down finally, but I have a feeling it's about to shoot sky high again within the next year.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I currently am in the middle of a new build and already have a Anderson Lower stripped which I purchased for $49 and a Aero Precision upper with fwd assist and dust cover for $75 from their site. So far the quality from bot seem very good and they fit just about perfect. I get stupid with builds sometime and might get a Aero lower now that my OCD has kicked into overdrive but the Anderson seems like a tremendous value at the current market pricing.
View Quote

You can get Aero Gen 1 lowers from DOA for $55 each shipped if you buy 3 or more. I got the Gen 2 lowers for 55 each shipped but I had a group buy of 20. The Gen 2 units have the Upper / Lower tension screw, and a flared magwell. Both are tapped for a 4-40 set screw for the take down pin detent.

For my money the Aero lowers are a better value. Besides, fuck Anderson.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You can get Aero Gen 1 lowers from DOA for $55 each shipped if you buy 3 or more. I got the Gen 2 lowers for 55 each shipped but I had a group buy of 20. The Gen 2 units have the Upper / Lower tension screw, and a flared magwell. Both are tapped for a 4-40 set screw for the take down pin detent.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can buy the Aero Gen2 lowers for $55 each plus shipping one at a time from Schuyler or two at a time for $111 shipped from ODfirearms.com.  

I would think that either of the vendors above would cover shipping and slightly discount the lowers more if you bought 20 at a time.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://i62.tinypic.com/9um2kn.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it missing the hole altogether, or did it just not go all the way through?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blind hole, not thru.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Blind hole, not thru.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blind hole, not thru.

Was it drilled enough to use a shortened roll pin, or did you finish the drilling? Or was this receiver returned back to the manufacturer?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Compared the Anderson lower receiver today with a Stag. With the exception of the roll mark it is identical. Anderson receivers are probably manufactured by CMT. The only difference I see is the price.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Nothing wrong with Anderson - in spec and all uppers and mags fit fine for me. But they're not exactly "high end."
View Quote

came to say this.

If you are going with a high end build, why would you want a cheap ass name like Anderson on it?

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Not really concerned with branding. More concerned with a reliable, solid gun. High end may have been wrong choice of words. Better choice would be quality parts. I don't believe in selling guns so I'm not worried about resale. Just function and durability.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#47]
My issue with Anderson is with honesty. Once I discover that you have purposefully deceived me I will probably never trust you again. Anderson employees made deceptive posts to this board trying to encourage sales and advertise their RF85 finish. They pretended to be consumers while they were paid employees.

How can anyone ever trust them again? Can they be trusted to give honest information concerning their products after they have played dishonest games here? Part time honesty? Hmmmm. Think about that for a few minutes.

Your money, your choice. I'll spend mine with people and manufacturers I can trust. To me their are no levels of trust. It's all or none.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Anderson is GTG.
View Quote

No problems with my lower build using an Anderson stripped lower.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#49]
They are milspec like and their specs look good on paper.  

for a couple hundred more you can get a noveske.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My issue with Anderson is with honesty. Once I discover that you have purposefully deceived me I will probably never trust you again. Anderson employees made deceptive posts to this board trying to encourage sales and advertise their RF85 finish. They pretended to be consumers while they were paid employees.

How can anyone ever trust them again? Can they be trusted to give honest information concerning their products after they have played dishonest games here? Part time honesty? Hmmmm. Think about that for a few minutes.

Your money, your choice. I'll spend mine with people and manufacturers I can trust. To me their are no levels of trust. It's all or none.
View Quote

This
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top