Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2015 6:41:00 AM EDT
I recently purchased an upper off of EE. After shooting 15 rounds I noticed ,as I was cleaning it , I could rotate the barrel in the reciever. The barrel is not tight in the extension. It's a DPMS upper. Will DPMS repair this. Or was I  the unfortunate recipient of a very large paper weight.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:00:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I recently purchased an upper off of EE. After shooting 15 rounds I noticed ,as I was cleaning it , I could rotate the barrel in the reciever. The barrel is not tight in the extension. It's a DPMS upper. Will DPMS repair this. Or was I  the unfortunate recipient of a very large paper weight.
View Quote

Depends what you mean by rotate ? Like side to side wiggle or a full rotation ? If the first it may just be a loose barrel nut. If the latter sheared index pin or loose extension.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I took FSB off today. You can completely unscrew barrel with barrel extension still in the reciever . Bought this off EE a few weeks ago. i figured anything would be better than a some of these weekend special uppers. Boy ! was I wrong.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I found the FS thread where you bought it but the pictures are gone.  Did it come with the FSB or did you instal the one you bought recently?  If you installed the FSB on this barrel, how did you remove the muzzle device?

If the upper is exactly how you bought it, try contacting the seller.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I took FSB off today. You can completely unscrew barrel with barrel extension still in the reciever .
View Quote

You have a paperweight.  Well, you could use it with a .22lr kit I guess.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I found the FS thread where you bought it but the pictures are gone.  Did it come with the FSB or did you instal the one you bought recently?  If you installed the FSB on this barrel, how did you remove the muzzle device?

View Quote

FSB I purchased was for another barrel . I had done nothing but shoot rifle 15 times. And cleaned it. Contacted seller . He said it was fine when he had it. I'm not going to argue , life is too short. Who knows he may not have known. i guess I'll just find a barrel.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Just asking, but why can't OP remove barrel and extension, apply some kind of thread sealant...........and retorque etension?        Realizing that with the index pin @ 12 o'clock the gas tube/port also needs to be at 12.   Why does the fact that the barrel came loose from the ext. mean that it's now junk?   Never had one do that, but I have threaded barrels and installed extensions, etc.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:21:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Because your chance of getting headspace, torque and TDC all correct simultaneously are pretty slim.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Since ADCO chimed in, send it to them, you won't be disappointed!  They can do any other mods you would like while its there.  My experiences is that that they have it back to you in record time
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Since ADCO chimed in, send it to them, you won't be disappointed!  They can do any other mods you would like while its there.  My experiences is that that they have it back to you in record time
View Quote

ADCO says it's a paper weight.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:54:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

FSB I purchased was for another barrel . I had done nothing but shoot rifle 15 times. And cleaned it. Contacted seller . He said it was fine when he had it. I'm not going to argue , life is too short. Who knows he may not have known. i guess I'll just find a barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I received an email from JoeBob's yesterday about some barrels they had in stock. Its a starting point but Shop around for the best price or the barrel you want and Good Luck
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not what ADCO said. if it is the index pin, they said it can be fixed.  That should be explored before concluding it is a paperweight.  Why not send it in and let them try?  Or, at least let a gunsmith check it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:34:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not what ADCO said. if it is the index pin, they said it can be fixed.  That should be explored before concluding it is a paperweight.  Why not send it in and let them try?  Or, at least let a gunsmith check it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the FSB removed I was able to remove barrel from barrel extension by hand. I'm a machinist and see no way to repair my upper except to backseat the barrel and ream. By the time I do this or pay someone to do this I'm out the cost of ,at least a barrel.  when I tighten the barrel as much as I can by hand the front sight is about 1 degree beyond top center.  It's not the index pin.  But had I sold this I would have been more than willing to reconcile the situation. But as I said before you live and learn.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Barrels are cheap, replace it and go on
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Barrels are cheap, replace it and go on
View Quote

My original question was would DPMS repair this. This as most post go from information hwy to opinionated pig trail real fast.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Call DPMS and see what they say.  

I bought a barrel recently and had the same thing - the extension popped loose when I used a reaction rod to take the flash hider off.  It had about 20 lbs of torque applied and the extension just went pop.

I sent it back to the manufacturer.  I believe there are a lot of barrels on the market that are getting melonited after the extension is applied, but the heat treatment of meloniting is causing the torque value to change between the extension and barrel as stress is relieved from heating.

When I buy barrels now, I will only buy them from reputable manufacturers, or when the extension is obviously not melonited.  Way too much cheap stuff out there of unknown quality.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:58:19 AM EDT
[#17]
That happened to me with an upper from Rguns once...barrel went to the scrap pile...
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If just a broken index pin, it can be fixed. If the extension is loose, it's a paper weight.
View Quote

Some guy on TOS proved that wrong. He re-torqued the barrel extension after cutting the barrel down and re-doing the chamber and re-aligning and...in short, it was MASTERFUL, but he did it just for the hell of it because he was bored, and the labor cost would be staggering to farm out. Still, I found it very educational to see all the pictures of it and how he did it. HE was not a shade-tree mechanic, as it were.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Some guy on TOS proved that wrong. He re-torqued the barrel extension after cutting the barrel down and re-doing the chamber and re-aligning and...in short, it was MASTERFUL, but he did it just for the hell of it because he was bored, and the labor cost would be staggering to farm out. Still, I found it very educational to see all the pictures of it and how he did it. HE was not a shade-tree mechanic, as it were.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If just a broken index pin, it can be fixed. If the extension is loose, it's a paper weight.

I'm pretty sure that's what he meant by it's a paper weight it isn't economically sound decision to fix it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#20]
There was a guy (since passed away) who offered this service. He would cut down the old barrel, install the new extension, then drill a new gas hole. It was mostly done on 20" barrels as I remember. There weren't nearly as many barrel options as there are now.

If it were me, I'd sell the old barrel on the EE and buy something else. I sold a GI Colt M4 barrel like this one time, after spelling out clearly in the ad that it did not have a barrel extension.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#21]
If you pull the barrel nut is there any damage to the index pin slot in the upper?
If it's gouged on one side then someone tried to unscrew a flash hider using an upper clam shell.
At worst the upper threads could be damaged, then the whole upper receiver might be bad.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top