Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 26
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Gotcha.  Thank you.  So hang on now, you're saying Army SDM-R rifles were short lived and no longer exist?  Do they not have a 5.56 that exists in a DM role in the "big" Army?  I'm assuming SF has access to any of the 5.56 weapons in that role that the other branches do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JJREA:
Gotcha.  Thank you.  So hang on now, you're saying Army SDM-R rifles were short lived and no longer exist?  Do they not have a 5.56 that exists in a DM role in the "big" Army?  I'm assuming SF has access to any of the 5.56 weapons in that role that the other branches do.
View Quote

It sounds like it was an unofficial project that only applied to the 3rd Infantry in terms of the rifles themselves.  But it sounds like some of the associated training and tactics still apply.  I'd bet some of the rifles are still used as well.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:
For those building 20" SPR rifles...

http://ballisticadvantage.com/20-inch-223-wylde-dmr-rifle-length-ss-premium-barrel.html

$171 shipped with coupon 'save10now'
View Quote

IIRC, the actual SDM-R profile includes 12 flutes.  Looks like that barrel does not have the flutes.   So depending on the particular build and how close of a "clone" someone wants to make, those might not be quite right.   But I bet they do shoot really darn good for a customized SPR.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:15:02 AM EDT
[#4]
There were no other optics used with the 100 SAM-R'S that were issued huh? I just REALLY don't want to buy the same scope twice.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:39:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: secretwheelman] [#5]

Originally Posted By Davey_Sickboy:

There were no other optics used with the 100 SAM-R'S that were issued huh? I just REALLY don't want to buy the same scope twice.
View Quote
Get a different reticle. That what I did.

TMR FOR the SAM-R, mil-dot for the mk12.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:13:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R0N] [#6]
View Quote

As issued they only came with the Leupold scope; users may have switched out optics for a variety of reasons
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:31:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: matticuski] [#7]
repost*
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm on my way! I originally wanted to build a SAM-R some number of years ago, gave up on it, and used the barrel for my precision rifle match shooter. You guys gave me hope again, so I scoped up yet another FF RAS and received it in the mail today. I've still got a long ways to go.....but its a start. Temporarily using this Leupold that was used on an early version of the SR25, until I can get the correct one. Man I would LOVE to use a Night Force on this bad boy, I already know she can shoot. With the right powder charge, I've squeezed out sub .25" groups.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#9]
" />
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Hell of a start.

How many FF RAS's you up to now?

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:23:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I missed top of page, so.....

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:59:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:
Hell of a start.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Hell of a start.

" />
Look, don't judge me. I understand I have a problem, and will get help. Just as soon as I am finished with my SAM-R and 308 mod1.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:08:14 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Why couldn't those just be Knights rails on them. Would make life a lot easier.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:22:44 AM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

FF RAS or M5?

If FF I can answer that. Because there aren't that many in existance.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

FF RAS or M5?

View All Quotes

FF RAS or M5?

Yeah, the FF. My rifle would be finished, and I would be enjoying a summer of SAM
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:49:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#16]
Aren't they just DD's?  Maybe obsolete now??  I don't know anything about all that.  Plus nobody does the SDM-R's.  It's all about the Marines one this build.  LOL.

ETA: yeah, you made reference to building a SAM and those are SDM-R's...  I don't know what rail the SAM-R's use though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Aren't they just DD's?  Maybe obsolete now??  I don't know anything about all that.  Plus nobody does the SDM-R's.  It's all about the Marines one this build.  LOL.

ETA: yeah, you made reference to building a SAM and those are SDM-R's...  I don't know what rail the SAM-R's use though.
View Quote

You talkin' about the rail? If so, idk what rails those are in the pic you posted, (looks similar to/copy of the KAC M5 RAS, but isn't a KAC M5 RAS)

But the good ol' SAM-R uses the FF RAS.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#18]
You're talking gibberish to me.  I don't know what the proper rail is, but for some reason Davey thinks his rail that he's got isn't gtg......  I was just pointing out the pic I put up was SDM-R's and my differ from the SAM-R and maybe what he has IS good enough and to not go by my pic.  But the fact remains, I don't really know much about rails.  Other than my recce has a DD 9.5 that I don't think you can even get any more.  I like that.....  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:09:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#19]
You're talking gibberish to me.  I don't know what the proper rail is, but for some reason Davey thinks his rail that he's got isn't gtg......  I was just pointing out the pic I put up was SDM-R's and my differ from the SAM-R and maybe what he has IS good enough and to not go by my pic.  But the fact remains, I don't really know much about rails.  Other than my recce has a DD 9.5 that I don't think you can even get any more.  I like that.....  
View Quote

I think he has the right rail for a SAM-R. Idk I'm becoming just as confused as you are.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#20]

I think he has the right rail for a SAM-R. Idk I'm becoming just as confused as you are.
View All Quotes

LOL.   So this won't pass for a SAM-R.....  I know it won't, I just wanted to show my old DD rail.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#21]

LOL.   So this won't pass for a SAM-R.....  I know it won't, I just wanted to show my old DD rail.  

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2326%3D483%3D343%3DXROQDF%3E2323864993763ot1lsi
View All Quotes

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2326%3D483%3D343%3DXROQDF%3E2323864993763ot1lsi

That actually looks really similar to the rails you posted in the last pic, just shorter.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Agreed.  I thought they look like older DD too.  I think that's actually what the AMU used.  I got some more pics that might uphold that thought, but I gotta other stuff to do right this second.  I gotta get them into my photobucket.   Maybe later today.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Lol....I was referring to the gas block actually. The SDM-R's all get that very common FSB, where the SAM-R's get the extremely expensive and unobtainium FSGB. The FF RAS is the correct rail for the SAMMY, which I have 4 of. The only thing that's really holding me (and I'm sure everyone else here) back is that fucking FSGB. Now if that took a Knights rail instead of the DD or the SAM-R used the FSB....I'd be finished and enjoying the rest of the summer shooting my SAM-R/SDM-R. I was drunk when I wrote that, its not you guys. It really did make sense in my head.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

From my understanding, and I don't know much about DD, but its the barrel nut that makes that rail harder to come by. The ones that are around now are round, where the ones used on the SDM-R have flats. I think. There's always something when living the clone life. The struggle is real.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:02:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#25]
Yeah, mine's got the flats too, you can probably see it there.  I bought mine in like 2003 that ADCO built so, it's just how they were made back then.....  I've never kept up on all the changes.  I got you on the FSB too.   So you got the rails but no flippy dohicky for the SAM.  I get it.  And if you went with the SDM you wouldn't have the proper rail I think.......  Which the SAM is sexier anyways.  All that SS.......

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, mine's got the flats too, you can probably see it there.  I bought mine in like 2003 that ADCO built so, it's just how they were made back then.....  I've never kept up on all the changes.  I got you on the FSB too.   So you got the rails but no flippy dohicky for the SAM.  I get it.  And if you went with the SDM you wouldn't have the proper rail I think.......  Which the SAM is sexier anyways.  All that SS.......

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/gun%20album%20I%202015/DMR-Easley_zpsvdtbpasi.jpg

View Quote

That you on the left or second to far left?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:20:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Oh c'mon, we can't all be young anymore like you... youngins....  I'm not quite that old.  Although I feel like I'm older.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:27:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Oh c'mon, we can't all be young anymore like you... youngins....  I'm not quite that old.  Although I feel like I'm older.
View Quote

Lol I know. I think I know what you look like, unless you posted a pic of someone else with your gun. But it's more fun to picture you as old/fat.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:44:55 AM EDT
[#30]
This is me and my brothers......

LOL.  JK.   I'm 43.  Too old to keep up with you young guys, especially after getting lyme disease.  Messed my body up.  But too young to be an old man.  In between.  

either 2 or 3 years ago....

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:50:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#31]
This is me and my brothers......

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/scan0001.jpg

LOL.  JK.   I'm 43.  Too old to keep up with you young guys, especially after getting lyme disease.  Messed my body up.  But too young to be an old man.  In between.  

either 2 or 3 years ago....

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp%3B%3C4%3Enu%3D3235%3E392%3E252%3EWSNRCG%3D3664%3A99543339nu0mrj
View Quote

Not bad for 43 dude. You could pass for 30 in that pic. I'm about to go look up Lyme disease so we don't spam thus thread up too bad.

ETA- Lyme Disease. Damn dude, that's terrible.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:55:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Thank you.  

Here's my wife:

JK, keeping on topic.......  Not sure what's she's doing without rear sights.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:58:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Thank you.  

Here's my wife:

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/gun%20album%20I%202015/240px-Squad_Designated_Marksman_Rifle_1_zpsdz4bwibp.jpg

JK, keeping on topic.......  Not sure what's she's doing without rear sights.
View Quote

Lol! I watched a joint training vid the other day and a dude was using just the FSB.

As for the Lyme disease I just looked it up, and that's fucking terrible dude.
It's insane that much damage can be done from a tick bite. I'm glad you pulled through though!

I fucking hate ticks. My pup had one not too long ago. That one was hard as hell to get out even with fire roasted tweezers and rubbing alcohol
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:13:52 AM EDT
[#34]
If you want more to blow your mind about it, seeins how you're ex military, I think.   Look up Plum Island........   I've never read too much into it, but there's a theory that german scientists after WWII were messing around with ticks and lyme disease at the direction of the US Govt, making it more potent than it was naturally.  And then a storm happened and the ticks got released on accident from damage to the structure.  I don't know about how it started and this conspiracy or that or not.  But I do know is it's a rough son of b*&^$.    I think if you catch it early, it's not so bad.  But I didn't.  It was kind of dormant for a long time after my tick bite and then like 10 years later.  BAM.   I weighed 175 pounds and within a few years I weighed 114.  With huge problems on my hands.  

Anyways....  I hate turning it into a sob story, but it really messed me up and I'm glad to just be alive and able to do what I do.  Which is way less than I did before getting it.  But whatever.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:19:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#35]
If you want more to blow your mind about it, seeins how you're ex military, I think.   Look up Plum Island........   I've never read too much into it, but there's a theory that german scientists after WWII were messing around with ticks and lyme disease at the direction of the US Govt, making it more potent than it was naturally.  And then a storm happened and the ticks got released on accident from damage to the structure.  I don't know about how it started and this conspiracy or that or not.  But I do know is it's a rough son of b*&^$.    I think if you catch it early, it's not so bad.  But I didn't.  It was kind of dormant for a long time after my tick bite and then like 10 years later.  BAM.   I weighed 175 pounds and within a few years I weighed 114.  With huge problems on my hands.  

Anyways....  I hate turning it into a sob story, but it really messed me up and I'm glad to just be alive and able to do what I do.  Which is way less than I did before getting it.  But whatever.
View Quote

I'm gonna shoot you an I.M. so we don't clog this bitch up.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:59:37 AM EDT
[#36]

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/gun%20album%20I%202015/DMR-Easley_zpsvdtbpasi.jpg
View Quote

What's going on in this picture?? Match?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:00:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Davey_Sickboy] [#37]
Sucks that the SDM-R just used an m16 barrel, its like a waste to Clone it. You spend $$$ cloning a Mil rifle, and expect better than 5" groups
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Sucks that the SDM-R just used an m16 barrel, its like a waste to Clone it. You spend $$$ cloning a Mil rifle, and expect better than 5" groups
View Quote
They didn't.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah Davey, check out page one of this thread.  They give the specs....  Probably says what rails they use too and I didn't go check while we were bantering back and forth about it.  LOL.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Oooohhhh....sorry. I was thinking of the West Coast SAM-R
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Oooohhhh....sorry. I was thinking of the West Coast SAM-R
View Quote

See above that was a standard issue M16A4 modular weapons system
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Progress thus far.

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/vYT4Kr" target="_blank">https://farm1.staticflickr.com/380/19678033371_37846693f2_o.jpg</a>

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/wbSeS9" target="_blank">https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3749/19813670240_9091f70d88_o.jpg</a>

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/vPfn3u" target="_blank">https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3737/19569023940_a6690576ed_o.jpg</a>

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/vCkqZg" target="_blank">https://farm1.staticflickr.com/505/19445531313_a3f1e9de9c_o.jpg</a>

Barrel and gas block are en route to ADCO for pinning. Optics and a few small parts are still needed.
View Quote

First I build a Mk12 Mod 1 that took me 5 yrs to build, which along the way i built a M16A4 clone, M4A1 Sopmod clone and finally a M4A1 Block II clone..... Now I basically sold all my shit besides my mk12 mod 1 cause it was my favorite for suppressors and a bow... I leave arfcom for a month and half and this is what I come back to? A FUCKING SAM-GOD DAMN R THREAD! DAMN YOU!!!!

Where do I send my money to get my god damn hard to fucking find SAM-FUCKING R parts? Cause I can tell ya right now.... These will be more difficult to find than any of the other damn clone parts.

BTW, you have a good set going there
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:54:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#43]
Originally Posted By JeredMD:

First I build a Mk12 Mod 1 that took me 5 yrs to build, which along the way i built a M16A4 clone, M4A1 Sopmod clone and finally a M4A1 Block II clone..... Now I basically sold all my shit besides my mk12 mod 1 cause it was my favorite for suppressors and a bow... I leave arfcom for a month and half and this is what I come back to? A FUCKING SAM-GOD DAMN R THREAD! DAMN YOU!!!!

Where do I send my money to get my god damn hard to fucking find SAM-FUCKING R parts? Cause I can tell ya right now.... These will be more difficult to find than any of the other damn clone parts.

View All Quotes
Progress thus far.

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/vYT4Kr" target="_blank">https://farm1.staticflickr.com/380/19678033371_37846693f2_o.jpg</a>

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/wbSeS9" target="_blank">https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3749/19813670240_9091f70d88_o.jpg</a>

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/vPfn3u" target="_blank">https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3737/19569023940_a6690576ed_o.jpg</a>

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/vCkqZg" target="_blank">https://farm1.staticflickr.com/505/19445531313_a3f1e9de9c_o.jpg</a>

Barrel and gas block are en route to ADCO for pinning. Optics and a few small parts are still needed.

If you can find the FSGB (borderline unobfuckingtanium) and the FF RAS (hard to find) then you're on gravy road from there. Those are the 2 parts. But especially that KAC FSGB.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Thanks brother.

I've wanted one for a while and it seemed like all the hard to find parts landed within a couple weeks.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#45]

If you can find the FSGB (borderline unobfuckingtanium) and the FF RAS (hard to find) then you're on gravy road from there. Those are the 2 parts. But especially that KAC FSGB.
View Quote

I pretty much hunted through some old pic threads to find mine. Definitely worth it though. Picked up a brand new KAC FF rail off the EE on Friday so hopefully I can get it boxed up soon and sent to ADCO.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#46]
ADCO for what?

William
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:28:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By schaz42:
ADCO for what?

William
View Quote

Drilling and pinning of the FSGB I assume...and throwing the rail on there at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:28:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By schaz42:
ADCO for what?

William
View Quote

Probably to get the FSGB pinned to the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:31:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Gotcha, when I was doing my SAM-R build I had Compass Lake do the barrel so they pinned it for me. What barrel y'all using on your builds?

William
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:55:47 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
Progress thus far.

Well let me be the voice of reason.  The Mk12 Mod 1 and SAM-R are so fricking similar, it seems redundant to me.  What you need, is a BHD 723 build.  But since you're getting all crazy... can we get a pic of your Mk12 MOd 1?  
Page / 26
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top