User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 27
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By orpheus762x51:
I've already got everyone's contact info who contacted me previously.
I'm standing by before I send emails/make phone calls.

If you haven't already, PM me your contact info and I'll reach out when War Machine LLC is ready to produce.

I'd say we're probably still a few weeks, maybe a month or two away.  The CAD/CAM side of things is proofed 100%, we're just waiting on materials and machine time from what he described to me.
View Quote

Inbox is full..
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Should have room now.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I've already got everyone's contact info who contacted me previously.
I'm standing by before I send emails/make phone calls.

If you haven't already, PM me your contact info and I'll reach out when War Machine LLC is ready to produce.

I'd say we're probably still a few weeks, maybe a month or two away.  The CAD/CAM side of things is proofed 100%, we're just waiting on materials and machine time from what he described to me.
View Quote

Sending you a PM
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Several DMs received.  I have some holiday plans this weekend and will catch up on all by Wednesday or Thursday next week.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#5]
All DMs replied to.

As of right now, this is the list of people who want a PWS repro block:

@accurange
@CMCctx
@ringer706
@5pt56
@Acetomco
@TheFlyingNerd41
@smashhole1320
@Bakwa
@Theodoric
@eaglefive

If you do not see your name on the list, I do not have contact info for you.

It's not too late to get in yet, James has not gone into production yet.  When he does, there may be a couple extras, but that is not guaranteed.

I will post updates as I receive them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#6]
SAM-R PWS repro gas block update 7/7/2022:

I spoke to James at War Machine LLC, and essentially we're still playing the waiting game.

I won't comment on the internal workings of his business, but the general issue is that due to labor conditions and material prices/shortages, he cannot piggy back this effort in with regular production.

The downside is we'll just be waiting a bit longer, but the upside is that James himself will be personally making them--higher attention to detail and TLC.

Material cost is a moving target, but the final price will be very close + or - the original estimate (unless some other apocalyptic event causes a steel shortage).

No one will be asked to pay until James is ready to move into production.  

I'll be in contact with him periodically to see where we are, but it looks like it's a sure thing, just finding time, material, and machine time is the issue.

Until and unless he goes into production, the list is still open to those interested.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#7]
All DMs replied to.

@accurange
@CMCctx
@ringer706
@5pt56
@Acetomco
@TheFlyingNerd41
@smashhole1320
@Bakwa
@Theodoric
@eaglefive

It's not too late to get in yet, James has not gone into production yet.  When he does, there may be a couple extras, but that is not guaranteed.

View Quote

I DM'd you my contact info a few weeks ago. Maybe it didn't go through. I'll try sending again.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 3:05:11 PM EDT
[#8]
IM sent.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#9]
id be in for one
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#10]
SAM-R with the FSGB is my all time favorite 20. Recently rebuilt my SAM-R clone. Got the correct CLE barrel and swapped out the upper and lower for Colt components. Also threw a KAC trigger and NT4 FH on there as well. Going to sight it in tomorrow.

Link Posted: 7/25/2022 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By GaTacoma:
SAM-R with the FSGB is my all time favorite 20. Recently rebuilt my SAM-R clone. Got the correct CLE barrel and swapped out the upper and lower for Colt components. Also threw a KAC trigger and NT4 FH on there as well. Going to sight it in tomorrow.
https://i.imgur.com/2Gg6F72.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/OpXVJfS.jpg
View Quote

Don't get much better than that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 6:17:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMCSGT0331] [#12]
View Quote

Nice build, those KAC Gen 3 FSGB's are still hard to find and their price continues to move upwards. Are you going to blue the barrel or leave it in the white?

It would be really cool to blue the barrel and wear down the bluing in the front part that's exposed (barrel under the KAC handguard would remain blued). I might do this with one of my builds that have some used parts. I personally don't want to mix a salty KAC handguard with a perfect blued barrel!

Just in case anyone is wondering, every single one of the 100 original USMC SAM-R's had blued barrels. The only exception to this was the 5 or so spare barrels the PWS shop had on hand in case they needed to rebarrel one of these rifles. A few of these spare barrels and other spare parts were used on rebuilds, but I don't know how many were rebuilt.

The barrels in the war photos appear to be in the white, but if you look closer, you can see the blued part of the barrel through the vent holes in the KAC handguard (it was protected from wear underneath the handguard).
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:03:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Original SAM Concept built at Quantico prior to KAC participation.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 11:18:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By USMCSGT0331:

Nice build, those KAC Gen 3 FSGB's are still hard to find and their price continues to move upwards. Are you going to blue the barrel or leave it in the white?

It would be really cool to blue the barrel and wear down the bluing in the front part that's exposed (barrel under the KAC handguard would remain blued). I might do this with one of my builds that have some used parts. I personally don't want to mix a salty KAC handguard with a perfect blued barrel!

Just in case anyone is wondering, every single one of the 100 original USMC SAM-R's had blued barrels. The only exception to this was the 5 or so spare barrels the PWS shop had on hand in case they needed to rebarrel one of these rifles. A few of these spare barrels and other spare parts were used on rebuilds, but I don't know how many were rebuilt.

The barrels in the war photos appear to be in the white, but if you look closer, you can see the blued part of the barrel through the vent holes in the KAC handguard (it was protected from wear underneath the handguard).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I’ll prob leave in the white just cause it looks good.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#15]

I’ll prob leave in the white just cause it looks good.
View Quote

It really does.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

If I remember correctly, didn't they use off the shelf Brownells stainless steel bluing solution?

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/metal-bluing/bluing-salts/oxynate-no-84-hot-chemical-bluing-compound-prod1103.aspx
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Small update on on the PWS repro gas block:

James is at a point in his workload where he can code his machines.  He has ordered enough steel to do about 20 blocks.  He should have it next week.

Still no ETA until order/payment time, but I will make an announcement here and send individual notifications to everyone on the list when that time comes.  If you're on the list, don't worry, you have secured your opportunity to purchase one.  

Link Posted: 8/20/2022 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#18]

James is at a point in his workload where he can code his machines.  He has ordered enough steel to do about 20 blocks.  He should have it next week.

Still no ETA until order/payment time, but I will make an announcement here and send individual notifications to everyone on the list when that time comes.  If you're on the list, don't worry, you have secured your opportunity to purchase one.  

View Quote

Thank you again for your assistance on this @orpheus762x51

Can't wait to see them done!
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 9:26:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Beast_Master_Actual] [#19]
Originally Posted By coldblue:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19411/USMC_SAM_jpg-2471426.JPG

Original SAM Concept built at Quantico prior to KAC participation.
View Quote

My humble contribution
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Beast_Master_Actual:

https://i.imgur.com/9tlGnvS.jpg

My humble contribution
View Quote
Humble my ass.

We need to get you a KAC 98721 instead of that QD sling mount, and you'll be GTG.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:47:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:
Humble my ass.

We need to get you a KAC 98721 instead of that QD sling mount, and you'll be GTG.
View Quote

The SAM-R contract actually called for the KAC P/N 98720 Front Sling Swivel. It’s a a bit hard to see cause of the sling but it’s the early mount without the lasered logo and uses a slotted cap screw.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#22]

The SAM-R contract actually called for the KAC P/N 98720 Front Sling Swivel. It's a a bit hard to see cause of the sling but it's the early mount without the lasered logo and uses a slotted cap screw.
View Quote
The picture you quoted from coldblue has the 98721 w/ Uncle Mike's sling swivel.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#23]

https://i.imgur.com/9tlGnvS.jpg

My humble contribution
View Quote

That is gorgeous.  Man.... I think I found the template I'm going to use.

The FF RAS is the next thing I need to acquire.  Hopefully KAC does another run in the next year or two.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Humble my ass.

View Quote

If you look closely in a lot of photos, you'll see guys running them with the QD sling swivel

Link Posted: 8/23/2022 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes, but not on the prototype that coldblue's photo shows.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Midwest Industries has an upper-height Picatinny gas block that, while not identical (for authenticity freaks) is certainly functional.

Link Posted: 8/26/2022 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, but not on the prototype that coldblue's photo shows.
View Quote

Ahh yes, you're correct. I misunderstood your reply.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
Midwest Industries has an upper-height Picatinny gas block that, while not identical (for authenticity freaks) is certainly functional.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-bnjylkrvq1/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/781/1322/MCTAR-UHGB-2__41114.1648653789.jpg?c=1
View Quote

Anderson also makes a picatinny gas block which I think might even be a little closer to the original, of course, sans bayonet lug.

Link Posted: 11/14/2022 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Any fresh updates?
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Bakwa:

Any fresh updates?
View Quote

The long and short of it is: it's happening, but very, VERY slowly.

It's a small run, so he wants to double, triple, &quadruple check everything so that A) he doesn't end up with a pile of expensive blems, and B) he doesn't trash a $300 cutting tool.

From the looks of it, it seems that everyone's patience will be rewarded

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#31]

It's a small run, so he wants to double, triple, &quadruple check everything so that A) he doesn't end up with a pile of expensive blems, and B) he doesn't trash a $300 cutting tool.

https://i.ibb.co/nBCTB9C/Screenshot-20221116-104530-Gmail.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Are you guys making these repros with some way to tell the difference between the originals? Someone made a few of these years ago and purposely milled a section of the gas block that was slightly different than the real USMC ones, I posted about it somewhere in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Are you guys making these repros with some way to tell the difference between the originals? Someone made a few of these years ago and purposely milled a section of the gas block that was slightly different than the real USMC ones, I posted about it somewhere in this thread.
View Quote

We've already discussed this.  His logo will be milled into it at 6 o'clock.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

I haven't checked this thread in a while, so I can't remember it being discussed or not. Logo is a good idea and the placement will be inconspicuous, sounds like it's going to be a good repro
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Outstanding!

Let us know when you need money.  I'll gladly pay ASAP to ensure I don't lose my spot.

Now I just need to start tracking down the HG...
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Outstanding!

Let us know when you need money.  I'll gladly pay ASAP to ensure I don't lose my spot.

Now I just need to start tracking down the HG...
View Quote

Same here on the HG.  Do not worry about losing your spot.  If you're on the list, you're going to have an opportunity to get one (once he's happy with his CAD/CAM final run).
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#37]
I can finally post in here!!

Link Posted: 1/20/2023 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Stupid question...
The SAMR HG is the same as the MK12 Mod1's right?
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Stupid question...
View Quote

Correct.

Just FYI for anyone looking, I'll trade a KAC MP5 RAS for the FF rifle length/ Mk12 RAS.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Correct.

Just FYI for anyone looking, I'll trade a KAC MP5 RAS for the FF rifle length/ Mk12 RAS.
View All Quotes
Stupid question...

Correct.

Interesting.   MP5 RAS is NIB?  PM if you want to chat please.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#41]
All DMs replied to.

@accurange
@CMCctx
@ringer706
@5pt56
@Acetomco
@TheFlyingNerd41
@smashhole1320
@Bakwa
@Theodoric
@eaglefive

View Quote

In for at least 1
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:25:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: orpheus762x51] [#42]
Slowly and steadily getting there

I think everyone will be satisfied with the discreetly placed logo at 6 o'clock.  Very authentic aesthetic, without the ability for someone to try and pass it off as authentic for a crazy mark up.

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#43]

I think everyone will be satisfied with the discreetly placed logo at 6 o'clock.  Very authentic aesthetic, without the ability for someone to try and pass it off as authentic for a crazy mark up.

https://i.ibb.co/Jp70nQt/Screenshot-20230125-162256-Gmail.jpg
View Quote

@orpheus762x51 thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

what about just making a soft jaw to hold the  parts at that angle and ripping across it to finish it off as a secondary op? trying to get it to work on a 3-axis and having tooling/chatter marks there would suck after all the mastercam and setup time
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:51:51 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

I see a hole in the bottom.
Are these going to be designed as pinned or set screwed GB's?
The OG's were pinned if I remember.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:

what about just making a soft jaw to hold the  parts at that angle and ripping across it to finish it off as a secondary op? trying to get it to work on a 3-axis and having tooling/chatter marks there would suck after all the mastercam and setup time
View Quote

@HaveBlue83 I almost tagged you for help but I knew you'd be a long shortly!
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

@HaveBlue83 I almost tagged you for help but I knew you'd be a long shortly!
View Quote

This reminds me, i need to buy a block of 4140 for making a one off late SAM-R KAC GLFS
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#48]

This reminds me, i need to buy a block of 4140 for making a one off late SAM-R KAC GLFS
View Quote

*Two off.

MAKE IT HAPPEN
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 12:25:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#49]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

*Two off.

MAKE IT HAPPEN
View Quote

i have some airsoft replicas for measurements. its doable. heck i steel sleeved one of them and posted in here and nobody kknew lol
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#50]

i have some airsoft replicas for measurements. its doable. heck i steel sleeved one of them and posted in here and nobody kknew lol
View Quote

I tried buying that off of you a few years back
Page / 27
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top